As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Xbox One Thread in which we don't discuss Used Games.

• Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    Wait. Holy fucking shit. What if the kinect is required because you'll scan QR license codes in the game box with it?

• Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-24-this-is-how-xbox-one-game-trade-ins-will-work-apparently
    You, the shopper, won't have to pay the activation fee for a used Xbox One game - the shop will. Therefore, the price you see on a second-hand Xbox One game in a shop is the price you'll pay to be able to play it.

That's what a high-ranking UK industry source explained to me this afternoon.

The reason there's all this confusion is because Microsoft hasn't decided what the activation fee will be yet. The £35 figure reported in the story below sounds too high - perhaps it includes the shop's sale price as well.

My source confirmed that part of that activation fee will go to a publisher and part to Microsoft.

What this means for second-hand games is that Microsoft effectively controls how much they cost, because it controls the activation fee. Whether that fee will move up or down or diminish over time isn't clear. But it does mean second-hand games will probably be more expensive than they are now.

My source didn't know what Sony was up to but doubts the PlayStation maker will do the same thing, not because it's angelic but because it lacks the kind of pricey infrastructure something like this requires.

That's much better news.

edit: I know this pertains to used games, but I hope that since it's actual information from someone who seems to be informed, it should at least be within the bounds of the thread. If it's not, I'll edit it out and apologise in advance.

Oh yeah, that fantastic news! Everyone knows that companies always bear the brunt of added costs, and never pass them on to their consumers. Trickle down economics is the best, right guys?..... Guys?

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I honestly cannot recall a single time I've purchased a new game and gotten a defective disc.

I think I've had that happen exactly once with a CD.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Oh shit.

Returns.

There's a whole other shitstorm. Sure, they're rare but I've had to return a game or two for defective disks. Not really possible with this system as laid out. I quake with fear that it'd become a "Send it in to the manufacturer and wait five weeks" thing.
    Or not even for a defect. Will you be able to return games at all?

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I don't think you can return games now. At least not at any store I'm aware of in the US.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I have never bought a defective disc before, but I have bought numerous games that failed to come with CD-keys (I had to go back to a store to get a CD key for Black and White, Company of Heroes and Starcraft 2) or DLC codes (I had to convince the store I bought BF3 from that I wasn't trying to screw them out of an online code).

I hope this is just a disc thing, because fuck having more codes to type next gen. Why buy a console at all when I can get the same misery on PC but at least with a better platform in steam to share it in?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    If this is too close to discussing used game sales, please let me know, but I have been thinking about the whole "one time activation thing" and did come up with a benefit - no more Gamestop employee "checking out" of games. I know they still have to gut a copy for the purposes of theft reduction but it does mean that copy has to stay in the store which seems like a positive. I'm sure I'm not the only one to buy a new DS game and find a saved game on it :) Overall actually it seems like the idea of theft becomes a much reduced issue, you have someone break in, steal your stuff, Microsoft can see every license you still hold and push it all onto your replacement console for you.

The odd fallout I thought of would be for things like fighting game tourneys where they need to share a few copies of a game across setups. Could this kind of push those events towards the PS4? I'd see the PAX console freeplay areas being a challenge in the coming years as well...

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Houn I'd allow it, but if I give this thread an inch it'll take 50 pages of Used Game arguing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I honestly cannot recall a single time I've purchased a new game and gotten a defective disc.

I think I've had that happen exactly once with a CD.

I've had to return Lost Odyssey, Kinect Adventures, and Enchanted ArMs due to disk issues, but that's about it. Not bad considering how long I've been using my 360 and just how many games I've purchased.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    @Houn I'd allow it, but if I give this thread an inch it'll take 50 pages of Used Game arguing.

Fair enough. Though honestly, now that I think about it, there isn't a whole lot left to discuss. Recommending for the Op:

What We Know:
    - Retailers wishing to sell used Xbone games must be Microsoft Authorized and connect to their systems.
    - Microsoft will deactivate the existing user license and delete the installed game when the Authorized Retail Outlet buys a used game from a consumer.
    - Microsoft will take a cut of the resale for themselves and the publisher in exchange for generating the new Activation Code for the new consumer.

What We Can Assume Until We Hear Differently:
    - Independent sales/trades are dead.
    - Disc sharing is dead.

What We Have No Information About Yet:
    - Rentals.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Supposedly, this is the insides of the Xbone.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014-660x440.jpg

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Supposedly, this is the insides of the Xbone.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014-660x440.jpg

Well, now I know I'm not the Xbox One's BIGGEST fan.

No I don't.
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Can't wait to see how big the power brick is.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    That is a big ass fan.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »

There isn't one.

• Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

There isn't one.

Source

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Between that fan and the entire right side of the facade being vented, I speculate that their initial design document was:
    Xbox One will:
    • Not overheat and crack the motherboard, leading to a $1 billion recall.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The images of the rear of the XBone show a standard figure of 8 plug connector.

My mistake, it's not standard

XboxOneRear.jpg?itok=Uf-4aGdU

Oakey on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular

There isn't one.

I think the power supply is inside there underneath the hard drive.

• Options

There isn't one.

Yep. They're pretty proud of the whole "no-brick" thing.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    so they've stuck the HDD on top of the power supply? Thing is gonna run hot.

• Options

There isn't one.

Yep. They're pretty proud of the whole "no-brick" thing.

Well, the team that designed the power supply last gen got fired when someone high up got really confused when people were complaining about the 360 "bricking".

No I don't.
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I do hope they release a wired version of the controller for PC. I am very interested in those force feedback triggers.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    You can't be serious. The power brick is internal... and the non-replaceable HDD is sitting on top of it?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Between that fan and the entire right side of the facade being vented, I speculate that their initial design document was:
    Xbox One will:
    • Not overheat and crack the motherboard, leading to a $1 billion recall.

There was the power cord recall related to the original Xbox as well, so hopefully not causing fires is in the design doc too.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Looks to me like it's a standard Notebook HDD. So maybe it is replaceable?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Nowhere on the case were there any indications of ports or covers to remove the HDD.

So yeah.. standard hard drive, but locked to the system. Wouldn't surprise me. Hopefully the VM OS's are not stored on it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

It probably is, but it's not user-replaceable like the ones in the current gen.

Also, as regards heat, if you've seen pictures of the console, you've noticed a gloss/matte effect over the body, probably. That matte is 100% venting. Anything not gloss on the box is "vents".

They are NOT screwing around with heat this time.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    You can't be serious. The power brick is internal... and the non-replaceable HDD is sitting on top of it?

Is this verified information?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Also, as regards heat, if you've seen pictures of the console, you've noticed a gloss/matte effect over the body, probably. That matte is 100% venting. Anything not gloss on the box is "vents".

With all those vents it will be a good metric to see how dusty your home is... and if you're a smoker... man.

the xbo is allergic to cats.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »

No, I'm going off the posts above that where people were saying it was internal but no one is linking sources.

• Options

With all those vents it will be a good metric to see how dusty your home is... and if you're a smoker... man.

the xbo is allergic to cats.

I thought we knew how the one feels about the whole cat/dog thing from the announcement.

No I don't.
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular

Can't excessive vents be bad for heat dissipation? If you don't have a directed channel for air to flow, it's more difficult to get a constant stream of cool air.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    xboxone_forza5_boxart-590x330.jpg

All these images are a bit dubious, but at least it's something to discuss.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    The PSU is external. There is a power brick.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Already confirmed a while ago that the HDD isn't removable or replaceable

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

Assuming those are real I think you're going to see a fair bit of confusion with moms buying kids games for systems they don't have.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular

It's not dubious at all.

http://majornelson.com/2013/05/23/this-is-what-the-xbox-one-game-case-will-look-like/

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options

Already confirmed a while ago that the HDD isn't removable or replaceable

But it will allow you to use external drives, and since it has usb3.0 it'll be able to power those drives.

No I don't.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Assuming those are real I think you're going to see a fair bit of confusion with moms buying kids games for systems they don't have.

Numbering consoles only really works practically when you count up. Maybe it's time we go back to the Sega method of naming consoles. With names, rather than numbers.

This discussion has been closed.