As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Xbox One Thread in which we don't discuss Used Games.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I guess I just feel like the online requirements ("totally not always-on") and the disc key stuff means this console is only "user-friendly" if the user is someone who:

1) Lives in an urban area with fast internet
    2) Has a reliable ISP
    3) Never goes over to their friend's house to play, or even goes to group events to play games together
    4) Never sells their old games off to stretch their dollars
    5) Doesn't live with other people who might be talking around them while the Kinect is on.

I mean, I'm sure that person exists!

But it's not me, and it's not anyone I've ever met. And I'm sincerely skeptical that there's enough of these people out there to sustain a Microsoft-level market. Since "user-friendly, plug-and-play" was about the only thing the console market had going for it anymore...well, good luck with that?

All they had to do was release a prettier 360, and they would have had me, because I love my 360.
    Their target audience is NEETs

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    IGN says that the voice interaction presentation was staged.

http://me.ign.com/en/news/11383/fyi-the-xbox-one-voice-commands-weren-t-in-real-time
    90% of the voice commands during the Xbox One reveal weren't performed based on what what Yusuf Mehdi was saying.

We all called it.

Is there any particular reason why companies still pull this kind of crap?

Remember Miyamoto bungling around as the motion controls failed to respond due to technical problems during the E3 2010 Skyward Sword demo for minutes on end?

Or when the Assassin's Creed people ran into a glitch when it was being shown off at E3?

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I guess I just feel like the online requirements ("totally not always-on") and the disc key stuff means this console is only "user-friendly" if the user is someone who:

2) Has a reliable ISP
    3) Never goes over to their friend's house to play, or even goes to group events to play games together
    5) Doesn't live with other people who might be talking around them while the Kinect is on.

But it's not me, and it's not anyone I've ever met. And I'm sincerely skeptical that there's enough of these people out there to sustain a Microsoft-level market. Since "user-friendly, plug-and-play" was about the only thing the console market had going for it anymore...well, good luck with that?

All they had to do was release a prettier 360, and they would have had me, because I love my 360.

You realize you probably just described the average Microsoft engineer?

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

2) Has a reliable ISP

Really, cause it doesn't seem to require 1 or 2, 3 they've already said you can do, 4 you can do as well (though it's likely to be less profitable this time) and 5 is who-the-fuck-knows cause maybe you'll be able to turn voice commands off.

At most, this seems like a system where you will need internet that is up occasionally and don't need to stretch every dollar to it's maximum limit.

I think you are drastically overestimating what we know of as the "requirements" right now.

shryke on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

2) Has a reliable ISP

Really, cause it doesn't seem to require 1 or 2, 3 they've already said you can do, 4 you can do as well (though it's likely to be less profitable this time) and 5 is who-the-fuck-knows cause maybe you'll be able to turn voice commands off.

At most, this seems like a system where you will need internet that is up occasionally and don't need to stretch every dollar to it's maximum limit.

I think you are drastically overestimating what we know of as the "requirements" right now.

They said you could do 3? Did they say how?

Because the facts that you 1) must install to play and 2) can't install on multiple consoles at once kinda makes it sound like they're full of shit on that one. I hope not, but it just seems like they've painted a very narrow use case for this thing, under the delusion that that use case represents the average consumer.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Digital downloads only? God, I hope not. Sim City on PC was about £10 more expensive through Origin than buying the actual physical disc from Amazon. No, I don't understand why either.

Also, ISP's would shit the bed if the mainstream gaming market switched to DD. VirginMedia in the UK for example have just introduced even more draconian STM management. On their 120Mbit package, if you download 6.2Gb within two hours you get throttled by 40% for two hours and for every hour you continue downloading that period gets extended. It gets worse if you're on the lower tiers.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

2) Has a reliable ISP

it sounds likely that the second player would in effect just be paying to buy a secondary copy of the game that they would own forever. No one will be forced to buy a second copy in this situation, though: "I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game," Microsoft's Phil Harrison explained to Eurogamer.

• Options

2) Has a reliable ISP

Because the facts that you 1) must install to play and 2) can't install on multiple consoles at once kinda makes it sound like they're full of shit on that one. I hope not, but it just seems like they've painted a very narrow use case for this thing, under the delusion that that use case represents the average consumer.

You can install on their machine and play it so long as you sign in with your account. The game is then on their machine but they can't play it signed in as THEM till they also purchase it.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    NibCrom wrote: »
    If Microsoft is so concerned about the used game market, why can't they just concentrate on digital downloads? Doesn't the Wii U and the 3DS have digital downloads for most games? Or am I mistaken?

At least that way, the consumer has a choice.

Want to buy your physical copies and then trade them in later? No problem.

Want to buy digital downloads and have them tied to your account profile? No problem.

Wouldn't that be significantly simpler than the system they are proposing?

Because even if they say they don't they do.

Think is this whole used game thing is a net gain for MS.

As is they get nothing from used sales, but setting up this little system they manage to get in on that market. Also, since the system would more than likely be credits it makes you spend even more money on their stuff.

Not only that but they can probably get support from publishers because they splitting with them.

That said I really don't think the system is bad as people are trying to make it to be. Because at the end of the day it just sounds like another way to buy/sell used. Its actually convient in some ways.

My worry though is that if it catches on it might allow a monopoly over used sales and we would see less competitive priccing because MS and the publishers wouldn't be in a hurry to drop said prices.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Well that is marginally less dumb, although it would still indicate that the second console needs

1) an internet connection so I can log in (which can be problematic if it's a group getting together in a public place, like my gamers club often does)
    2) enough free space to install the thing

Mostly the first one, though.

I bought the disc -- new, even! -- and I bought your fucking heavy black box, I should be able to play the damn thing without asking your permission.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    You can also install games/etc to external USB hard drives - so conceivably you could install your game on a USB stick or something and just bring that with you. (Though you would need to login to XBL in order to use it - which is exactly how it works on the 360 today.)

edit: Because I'm sure someone will jump out with the "NO I JUST TAKE THE DISC OVER" - I am specifically talking about digital content on the 360.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah I think this whole issue with the internet connection and games on being tied to a single console are going to be major sticking points.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    As unlikely as it may be, if GameStop decides not to carry the Xbox One or anything related to it on stock, who would that hurt more, GameStop or Microsoft?

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular

2) Has a reliable ISP

eh

I go over to friends houses pretty regularly to play games and I could still do it under the new system, I always take my own xbox and monitor anyway and we all have our own copies of the game. Pretty much all my friends have wifi so the internet connection wouldn't be a problem and its not like I'm staying there for more than 24 hours anyway. The main limiting factor is that rental is going to be different now so I'll be interested to see if there is a system in place for that.

and I also don't really see 1 or 2 as problems, I doubt the authenticater is going to need fast internet to verify the xbox and if your isp regularly drops out for more than a day then please stop giving them money. And 4 we don't really have information on yet

there are loads of problems with the always online model but I really don't think they are as restrictive as the ones you listed

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    As unlikely as it may be, if GameStop decides not to carry the Xbox One or anything related to it on stock, who would that hurt more, GameStop or Microsoft?

Gamestop. By a mile.

But that's not to say it wouldn't hurt Microsoft also.

• Options
    You can also install games/etc to external USB hard drives - so conceivably you could install your game on a USB stick or something and just bring that with you. (Though you would need to login to XBL in order to use it - which is exactly how it works on the 360 today.)

That's fair, but I also feel it's fair to point out that, "Buy our box, and also buy another box so the first one works the way it should" is hardly an inspiring sales pitch.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

Considering Gamestops stock has droppped something like, 25% since Tuesday, I'm guessing Gamestop.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Gamestop, because Sony is going to have a similar system. EA wouldn't have called off online passes unless Sony was implementing a similar policy, and Sony has been way too coy with "It'll play used games!" and then say nothing else.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Well that is marginally less dumb, although it would still indicate that the second console needs

1) an internet connection so I can log in (which can be problematic if it's a group getting together in a public place, like my gamers club often does)

I bought the disc -- new, even! -- and I bought your fucking heavy black box, I should be able to play the damn thing without asking your permission.

Bring your Xbone instead of his then.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

You're not buying the disc. You're buying a license to use the product with a single account.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »

You're not buying the disc. You're buying a license to use the product with a single account.

And that's the problem.

As for bringing his Xbone instead of mine, in a group setting we might be playing games from multiple different members of the group. I guess we should invest in a shelf unit that can hold like 6 different Xbones at once?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4362680/xbox-one-games-will-require-regular-authentication-checks-used-games
    While an internet connection will be required for the console, the company is also experimenting with special exemption codes that could be given to select people in very particular, internet-free situations, like active-duty soldiers serving in war zones, sources tell Polygon.

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular

2) Has a reliable ISP

I don't know if that was meant to sound bad or not but those 5 things are me. Also I have been living on a island in Alaska for the past two years and my internet has only gone down maybe a couple of times due to weather. This also describes several other people here I have met barring maybe the kinect part.

I haven't met or heard anyone praise kinect much less wanting a new version of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Gamestop. By a mile.

Well, what about Gamestop selling Xbox One systems and games, but refusing to accept any of it as trade-ins and not sell any of it used?

I guess that's a dumb question. I don't see any way MS would be hurt by that.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options

And that's the problem.

As for bringing his Xbone instead of mine, in a group setting we might be playing games from multiple different members of the group. I guess we should invest in a shelf unit that can hold like 6 different Xbones at once?

Or play somewhere with internet.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    DP

shryke on
  • Options

Gamestop. By a mile.

Well, what about Gamestop selling Xbox One systems and games, but refusing to accept any of it as trade-ins and not sell any of it used?

I guess that's a dumb question. I don't see any way MS would be hurt by that.

What's the difference to MS?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4362680/xbox-one-games-will-require-regular-authentication-checks-used-games
    While an internet connection will be required for the console, the company is also experimenting with special exemption codes that could be given to select people in very particular, internet-free situations, like active-duty soldiers serving in war zones, sources tell Polygon.

Until action is put into effect this is literally just mouth service.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular

no shit?

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

So is everything every company has ever said or announced until it is released and in you hands.

No I don't.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Oakey wrote: »
    Digital downloads only? God, I hope not. Sim City on PC was about £10 more expensive through Origin than buying the actual physical disc from Amazon. No, I don't understand why either.

Probably for the same reason it (regularly) happens on Steam: someone at Amazon's lone job is to check prices on DD clients and beat them.

Personally I don't look forward to DD-only, either on PC or consoles. We've already seen the second hand market get wiped out on PC, so that's not surprising.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular

Gamestop. By a mile.

In the short term? Probably. But it's a net win for them in the long term if they can convert bone sales into WiiS4 sales.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular

...which is utter bullshit they can go fuck themselves sideways with.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    JihadJesus wrote: »

It's the same way, and has been the same way, with every console since the ps1.

Also the same with all software and movies and anything else that is on a digital medium.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

no shit?

Yeah dude I know.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »

We lost that battle 14 years ago when customers decided that they would continue to consume media (DVDs, in this case) that was content-locked to approved players.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

2) Has a reliable ISP

Their target audience is NEETs

Every single one of those things applies to me.

1. Check
    2. Check
    3. Check (seriously, video games are for when I'm chilling at the house alone)
    4. Check (never seemed worth it)
    5. Check (don't play on the xbox unless it's a night where I've got the house to myself and am just hanging out)

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    You're right that I'm not buying the disc. I'm not buying anything, in fact. Fuck all of this. I've spent the last three days going over and under, trying to figure out how this system works and just how badly it's screwing me over. And for what? Another fucking Halo? Another fucking Forza game? Shooting men and driving cars. Again and again until the end of all time. I DON'T GIVE A SHIT. What happened to this being a creative, imagination-driven industry? This is entirely too much bullshit for such a small reward at the end. They could announce free blowjobs at E3 and I still wouldn't care. I just don't care. I don't care about the name (which is dumb), or the system (which is ugly), or the spec or the camera or the motion controls (which are worryingly invasive), or the advertisements or the licenses or the 'we're giving you permission to play your games' bullshit that reared its head once again. That's what he literally said. I have permission to use something I bought. Fuck off.

Two hours of empty suits standing on a black stage telling me how much money they spent acquiring the exclusive rights to shit I don't care about and, because I'm European, can't use. Thanks for that, Microsoft. Thanks for walking onstage, opening your fly and showing us how big your dick is. We get it. You've got a lot of money. Maybe you should have spent some of that money on making something that wasn't five years out of date. WE HAVE A DOG. A DOG, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? AND IT HAS EMOTIONS. That's literally some Molyneux-grade wank right there. Which is to say nothing of how the whole thing is one vast trojan horse of anti-consumer, anti-retailer skullduggery that would make even the Illuminati raise a hand and go 'steady on fellas, let's not go crazy'. I've just had enough. I've had enough of Ben Kuchera being dumb as a sack of bricks. Of NeoGaf starting holy wars because no seriously, the new Halo TV show will be great lets wait until E3 guys it will be alright. A Halo TV show? What the fuck does that even mean, the game itself is half Aliens, half Starship Troopers, all dross. But the monks, Scarab, the monks and the dun-dun-dun-duuuunn and humanity's last stand. Urggh. And now we have people arguing forever over why it's actually not that bad when Microsoft treats its customers like blind little piglets, suckling at the teat of their benevolence. One billion sold, eh? You stupid idiots. Such hubris. Such callous disregard for basic human affection and love. I'm sick of it. Sick of this silent cancer eating away at good communities and at a form of entertainment that until now had more or less avoided corporate ass-fuckery.

This has been the worst week of video gaming I can ever remember. Not because of any five-hundred-and-ninety-nine-you-ess-dollars type of humiliation, or early-generational console warz between children that by the grace of God shouldn't have access to the internet, or oxygen for that matter. But because I feel like the entire industry has gone in one direction and I've gone in another. And how depressing it all sounds. Nobody's talking about good things anymore, it's all content licenses and downloadable weapon packs and weak projections for Q4 and layoffs and more layoffs and sexism and endless violence and this misguided belief that everyone involved in gaming has some kind of lofty position in society that must be respected and must be taken heed of. Why? Because of money and because of more money and because fuck everything. The only person in this entire fucking industry who isn't talking down to me with a condescending death-mask of white collar greed is Shigeru Miyamoto. You know him and I share the same birthday? That's actually true. And I think about how much fun he's provided to me over the years and how terrible it is that I've spent the last two months lambasting Nintendo for not having any fucking games on the WiiU, because I don't want it soon I want it now. We all do. We all spend millions upon millions of man hours screaming over why Pikmin 3 isn't out yet instead of doing something constructive, like building a house, or donating blood. I can't help but feel that if he shows up at this year's e3, he'll be disappointed and saddened to witness Microsoft - that soulless tumor on the belly of America - consuming the last ounce of good left in an industry ostensibly built for fun. Just thinking about it makes me physically sick. Where did all the fun go?

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular

Like all the rumors? Which are still completely different by the way.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
This discussion has been closed.