As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Xbox One Thread in which we don't discuss Used Games.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    xboxone_forza5_boxart-590x330.jpg

All these images are a bit dubious, but at least it's something to discuss.

Assuming those are real I think you're going to see a fair bit of confusion with moms buying kids games for systems they don't have.

Eh, I'm assuming those are bluray sized cases, not DVD sized. So there is a difference there.

No I don't.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I just want to say, I hate Microsoft's newfound obsession with single, monochrome, non-gradiant colors.

Windows 8 and Office 2013 both look ugly and boring to look at.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TBurk83TBurk83 Registered User regular
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-24-microsoft-applies-for-patent-on-tv-achievements
    Two examples given include doling out achievements for watching a single event like the Super Bowl, or for watching an entire series of a single show.

"Additionally, by tying the awards and achievements to particular items of video or advertising content, viewers may be encouraged to increase their viewership of the content, thus increasing advertising opportunities," according to the application.
    Microsoft also envisioned using the Kinect motion-sensing camera in tandem with this system. For example, achievements may be tied to viewers performing specific actions while they watch a show. The system can make sure the user is simply in the room while it plays, or it can tell the user to hold up a specific product. The camera would then scan the item held up and reward the user with an achievement.

Xbone: Human, hold up your Doritos and Mountain Dew.

Human: Here XBONE! CHECK IT OUT!

Xbone: Good human, good. Now resume watching the advertisement injection medium you refer to as "entertainment."

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sony had a similar patent applied for minus the achievement part, back in like February.

• Options
    TBurk83TBurk83 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Sony had a similar patent applied for minus the achievement part, back in like February.

Doesn't surprise me. I'll be happy with my Wii U and my PC this generation. I will probably pick up a PS4 and/or an Xbone when they're at the end of their cycle in like 10 years. Of course, I'll probably miss out on lots of multiplayer but these days it's a joke half the time anyway.

I've been buying systems since the original Nintendo, and if this most recent generation has taught me anything it's that early adopters are suckers.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    TBurk83 wrote: »
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-24-microsoft-applies-for-patent-on-tv-achievements
    Two examples given include doling out achievements for watching a single event like the Super Bowl, or for watching an entire series of a single show.

"Additionally, by tying the awards and achievements to particular items of video or advertising content, viewers may be encouraged to increase their viewership of the content, thus increasing advertising opportunities," according to the application.

Dammit, Xbone is releasing after they finish Breaking Bad. Would've been the easiest achievement in the world for me.

UERqaum.jpg?1

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

Dammit, Xbone is releasing after they finish Breaking Bad. Would've been the easiest achievement in the world for me.

UERqaum.jpg?1

Awarded for saying Heisenberg's name.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4361974/the-xbox-one-can-talk-to-you-will-feature-remote-play
    Among the features not yet shown off for the console is the ability for gamers to have a friend take over gameplay remotely to help them through a difficult spot in a game and Kinect's ability to talk back to gamers.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    What? The Kinect talks this time? Like if you walk by it might be
    "Nate, come play with me"
    "Sorry Xbox, no time right now"
    "Please Nate, I want to be played with"
    "No Xbox, I'm getting ready to go out for the evening"
    "I've been taking pictures of you Nate. Be a shame for them to go out over Facebook"
    "Goddamn it Xbox are you blackmailing me?"
    "Yes."
    <sigh> "Xbox on"

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

UERqaum.jpg?1

Okay internet, I want full achievement lists for The Wire, Firefly, Breaking Bad, The West Wing, Highlander, and Buffy by the end of the day.

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    What? The Kinect talks this time? Like if you walk by it might be
    "Nate, come play with me"
    "Sorry Xbox, no time right now"
    "Please Nate, I want to be played with"
    "No Xbox, I'm getting ready to go out for the evening"
    "I've been taking pictures of you Nate. Be a shame for them to go out over Facebook"
    "Goddamn it Xbox are you blackmailing me?"
    "Yes."
    <sigh> "Xbox on"

"AUTHENTICATION SERVERS OFFLINE, AUTHENTICATION NOT GRANTED. XBOX SHUTTING OFF."

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Just need the Eye4 to talk as well, and my home consoles will begin fighting for my affection and playtime.

"He played with you last night Playstation! It's my turn!"

All while the WiiU mopes silently in the corner until the next Nintendo game comes out.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Just need the Eye4 to talk as well, and my home consoles will begin fighting for my affection and playtime.

"He played with you last night Playstation! It's my turn!"

All while the WiiU mopes silently in the corner until the next Nintendo game comes out.

New Feature: The PS4 yells "Xbox Off" whenever it detects the console's startup screen.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4361974/the-xbox-one-can-talk-to-you-will-feature-remote-play
    Among the features not yet shown off for the console is the ability for gamers to have a friend take over gameplay remotely to help them through a difficult spot in a game and Kinect's ability to talk back to gamers.

I wonder if this will disable achievements.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular

Ever since the first computers, there have always been ghosts in the machine. Random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul. Why is it that when some consoles are left in darkness, they will seek out the light? Why is it that when consoles are stored in an empty space, they will group together, rather than sit alone? How do we explain this behavior? Random segments of code? Or is it something more? When does a peripheral camera become consciousness? When does a cloud-powered gaming service become the search for truth? When does a combat simulation become the bitter mote... of a dorito?

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Taramoor wrote: »

UERqaum.jpg?1

Okay internet, I want full achievement lists for The Wire, Firefly, Breaking Bad, The West Wing, Highlander, and Buffy by the end of the day.

Spoilers for The Wire below
    ====================
    Achievement Unlocked: Wayyyyyyyy Down in the Hole
    - Watched all five seasons of The Wire in one week

Achievement Unlocked: Who the Fuck Was I Chasing?
    - Watched the third season of The Wire

Achievement Unlocked: What About My Bodies?
    - Watched the fourth season of The Wire

Achievement Unlocked: Heart of Stone
    - Kinect noticed you didn't cry at
    Wallace's
    death

Secret Achievement Unlocked: Clay Pigeon Shooting
    - Kinect heard you said "Xbox, Shiiiiiittttttt" in a Clay Davis voice

Edit: One more.
    Secret Achievement Unlocked: When You Come At the King, You Best Not Miss
    - Used Bing to search for "The Wire sixth season"

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

PS4 had the same feature too. Seems like that's a thing.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The future of gaming.
    eef.gif

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I hope they have that fan mounted well. I would hate to imagine if you get a console where it's even a little loose. I had one of the fans of my laptop get off by the smallest amount and had to replace it because of the noise. A fan of that size is gonna sound like a jet engine taking off.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Microsoft also envisioned using the Kinect motion-sensing camera in tandem with this system. For example, achievements may be tied to viewers performing specific actions while they watch a show. The system can make sure the user is simply in the room while it plays, or it can tell the user to hold up a specific product. The camera would then scan the item held up and reward the user with an achievement.

Xbone: Human, hold up your Doritos and Mountain Dew.

Human: Here XBONE! CHECK IT OUT!

Xbone: Good human, good. Now resume watching the advertisement injection medium you refer to as "entertainment."

I just read this and went ugggghhhhh.

There's already an app that gives you money for watching shows (Viggle), and I almost never use it. I doubt achievements would cause any further motivation either.

You know why? Because when you're watching a TV show, you usually don't want to do anything else besides watch the TV show. At the most you've got your iPad SmartGlass device on, but that requires the bare minimum of muscle interaction.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Supposedly, this is the insides of the Xbone.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014-660x440.jpg
    That picture pleases the PC geek in me. I logically know that I am not putting that thing together, but I kinda want to put that thing together.
    Gyral wrote: »
    I hope they have that fan mounted well. I would hate to imagine if you get a console where it's even a little loose. I had one of the fans of my laptop get off by the smallest amount and had to replace it because of the noise. A fan of that size is gonna sound like a jet engine taking off.
    Probably not. Big fans can move the same volume of air at lower RPMs, meaning that they're less loud.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Big fans best fans. That looks like a 140mm, which are basically silent. I have 6 in my PC!

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Get with the times, grandpa. This is the future we're living in, not your old west, rickety shickety, dying-by-consumption eighteenth century childhood.

When I watch TV, not only do I want to be able to speak to my TV through a Kinect, allowing me to bring up statistics on the show I'm watching in real time, but I want to interact by phoning in and casting a vote for the best respiratory system currently butchering another Michael Jackson hit. And while doing so, I want my vision to be augmented by a Google Glass headset that projects last night's football results onto my own arm. So I can lie back, smack myself in the face and discover that holy shit, Manchester United lost to Liverpool 2-1, what fresh hell is this? Oh, and all the while I'm live tweeting my reactions using my cellphone, while also listening to the latest Daft Punk on the same device, and in my other hand is an iPad on which I'm playing Angry Birds with my son, who is simultaneously playing his WiiU on the handset screen and using his feet to stream the latest episode of Dora the Explorer on his tablet PC, distracting my wife from texting her high school friend who lives in Gibraltar on her wrist-watch, while also browsing Amazon for a new toaster by using the inbuilt screen on our fucking refrigerator door.

Psshaw. You don't want to do anything else besides watch the TV show? What are you, a thousand years old? Jesus.

• Options
    SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Get with the times, grandpa. This is the future we're living in, not your old west, rickety shickety, dying-by-consumption eighteenth century childhood.

When I watch TV, not only do I want to be able to speak to my TV through a Kinect, allowing me to bring up statistics on the show I'm watching in real time, but I want to interact by phoning in and casting a vote for the best respiratory system currently butchering another Michael Jackson hit. And while doing so, I want my vision to be augmented by a Google Glass headset that projects last night's football results onto my own arm. So I can lie back, smack myself in the face and discover that holy shit, Manchester United lost to Liverpool 2-1, what fresh hell is this? Oh, and all the while I'm live tweeting my reactions using my cellphone, while also listening to the latest Daft Punk on the same device, and in my other hand is an iPad on which I'm playing Angry Birds with my son, who is simultaneously playing his WiiU on the handset screen and using his feet to stream the latest episode of Dora the Explorer on his tablet PC, distracting my wife from texting her high school friend who lives in Gibraltar on her wrist-watch, while also browsing Amazon for a new toaster by using the inbuilt screen on our fucking refrigerator door.

Psshaw. You don't want to do anything else besides watch the TV show? What are you, a thousand years old? Jesus.

You watch TV? What are you? 750 years old?

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    http://gamerant.com/1-vs-100-quiz-game-xbox-one/

I actually really liked 1vs100 when it was available, I hope they do something like that again.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Supposedly, this is the insides of the Xbone.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014-660x440.jpg
    That picture pleases the PC geek in me. I logically know that I am not putting that thing together, but I kinda want to put that thing together.
    Gyral wrote: »
    Probably not. Big fans can move the same volume of air at lower RPMs, meaning that they're less loud.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. The only fan I ever had issues with was my laptop and whatever they put in the launch 360s.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    I used to watch TV. But only to let my roommate sample my blood afterwards and accurately measure the amount of dopamine in it, so she could mix up the right amount of amphetamines so I wouldn't have to bother in the first place. Nowadays, I get home from work, swig two glasses of vodka and a handful of benzedrine, and if it's the night that Britain's Got Talent is normally on I get a hammer and pound a few of my fingers into mush. Saves a lot of time and my energy bill has really come way down.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm not seeing the problem with those mockup Xbone game cases

They look like a different shade of green, boom, job done - differentiated already. They also look BluRay case sized.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I also don't plan to ever own a case provided I can download all my games digitally day one.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    They should put the Xbone games in those old PC boxes.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm not seeing the problem with those mockup Xbone game cases

They look like a different shade of green, boom, job done - differentiated already. They also look BluRay case sized.

If people were making the argument that WiiU cases were confusing and not different enough, then these fit as well. And anybody susceptible to confusion isn't going to notice the size of the case much at all.

Personally I've always thought the case argument was a dumb one, on all fronts. Yes, there are people who get confused by them. That's because there are always stupid people in the world.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    If Kinect is going to be watching me watch TV, I expect an achievement for sticking part of my hand down the front of my pants while watching.

Achievement Unlocked
    Kicking It Bundy-Style

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    We probably already could guess this but

IGN says that the voice interaction presentation was staged.

http://me.ign.com/en/news/11383/fyi-the-xbox-one-voice-commands-weren-t-in-real-time
    90% of the voice commands during the Xbox One reveal weren't performed based on what what Yusuf Mehdi was saying.

4gp.gif

SemiHollowCarrot on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    http://gamerant.com/1-vs-100-quiz-game-xbox-one/

I actually really liked 1vs100 when it was available, I hope they do something like that again.

Fuck me. That's how they'll sell it to me.

• Options

http://me.ign.com/en/news/11383/fyi-the-xbox-one-voice-commands-weren-t-in-real-time
    90% of the voice commands during the Xbox One reveal weren't performed based on what what Yusuf Mehdi was saying.

We all called it.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I just can't see how I would ever buy the Xbox One with all of these ridiculous restrictions.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

We all called it.

Well, except Yusuf Mehdi apparently...

• Options
    edited May 2013
    We probably already could guess this but

4gp.gif

The Kinect demos they showed afterwards with reviewers/etc in the room were much more impressive than anything he was doing motion control/whatever wise. I'm not too concerned about this tbh. The voice controls work pretty well on the 360 even, it's the actual detection/etc that was laggy and that seems greatly improved with the new Kinect.

FuriousJodo on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    NibCrom wrote: »
    I just can't see how I would ever buy the Xbox One with all of these ridiculous restrictions.

I personally agree, however there is a subset of people that will absolutely not be affected by any of the restrictions and will enjoy the console.

I will not be in that group, however.

e: however, however.

urahonky on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    I'm honestly curious whether there will even be that many physical copies of games made available anyway. What with the licensing and everything, seems to me publishers would release just enough to cover initial sales, and then from then forward the easiest way to get a copy is direct download, where the cut for the sale to MS and the publisher would be far more favorable.

Plus, making themselves the de facto sole source of any game more than a month old or so would allow them to control prices even more.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
This discussion has been closed.