As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Grim Dawn] Somehow even grimmer

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I should try a dual-class, but I kind of love just filling up all the useful Soldier skills.

If you want a minimal addition to Soldier, one option is to go Arcanist for Inner Focus - just 1 point opens it and it gives you very useful Offensive Ability boost. Or 5 points in Occultist for Raven healer, Curse of Frailty and/or Solael's Witchfire. 5 points in Nightblade gives you Pneumatic Burst. Those would be my selections for Soldier + minimal other class. Whatever works, though - Soldier is very self-reliant class so it doesn't really require dual-classing as much as many others.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    sup bros i crafted a dank video just showing off a few of the stupid builds ive been dicking around with

i have about a jillion characters because the struggle is real rip... ive started naming them "11111" so they are at the top of the list

maybe this video will even work idk youtube my bff jill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbb43mPveIU&feature=youtu.be

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    sup bros i crafted a dank video just showing off a few of the stupid builds ive been dicking around with

i have about a jillion characters because the struggle is real rip... ive started naming them "11111" so they are at the top of the list

Mind posting at lease skill builds and major Devotion constellations for those?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    3clipse wrote: »

Mind posting at lease skill builds and major Devotion constellations for those?

oh yeah that would be useful wouldnt it

uhhh

i blame everybody else

this is the core of the dual wield fire pistol wizard:

http://grimcalc.com/build/tZOzKs

get procs up to 25%, max out fire strike and enhanced fire damage, then stack procs. the appropriate devotions are up to you but magus owns and ulzuins torch is mandatory later

this is core of dual wield wizard

http://grimcalc.com/build/fmFkH9

get dual wield procs up to 20% (where they cap), get the ele damage and conversion from arcanist weapon buff, get cold damage from dw passive and the %cold damage passive in nightblade, get teleport strike upgrade, then get whatever devotions you want. im using aether fire, rhowan crown and lightning at the moment, but it will change dramatically as i get more devotion points (i frequently respec devotions when i get to diff devotion point counts)

this build really needs maivens to survive and needs proper resistances later on

the retaliation one is literally just shield passives in soldier + every single devotion I could find that has % retaliation, most notably wolverine, hound and herald of war + retal items

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    Dissent wrote: »
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Dissent wrote: »
    m!ttens wrote: »
    So just out of curiosity what does everyone here like to play? Also, anyone attempted to join randoms in multiplayer, how well did it work out?

Just bought it tonight, sunk four hours into a Pyromancer (Demolitionist/Occultist) build, and I'm loving it. Basically just lure w/ my rifle spamming explosive shot, then throw out shock caltrops while my raven blasts people. Only complaint I have so far is that normal difficulty is super-easy. Haven't had to touch a potion yet...never really get hit much at all, come to think of it.

There is a veteran modifier that makes it a little harder, you can select it from the main menu. From what I can tell, it just adds a bunch more champion monsters.

Still crushing it on veteran, which I don't mind, because I'm getting to live out all my Wizard Gunfighter fantasies. Think I just got lucky early: have had four epics drop so far that are putting my health regen and lightning attack through the roof.

im doing a wizard commando at the moment who just dual wields pistols and shits fireballs and volcanoes everywhere its great

they tried to kick me out of wizard school for using a gun but ill show them

also i randomly give people chaos and fire damage flu : (

I can't wait to get one of the dual-wield items. I'm currently rocking one of those Eye of Sauron off-hands that boost my electric attack and stun jacks.

I feel like this class is OP as hell. I drunkenly proclaimed myself Landlord of Burrwitch Estates last night and proceeded to kick in all doors w/ eviction notices for zombies.

Revolver I got a few levels back:
    nk92hd28cie2.png

• Options
    btw is there a pa discord? i only just found out about dat sheet

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    @surrealitycheck, I could listen to your posh voice discuss silly builds all day long :tell_me_more:

Also I wouldn't be opposed to joining any/all of you fine folks in discord or any other chat client.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Ha!

I was legit surprised to find out you didn't have the voice of Nicki, Scheck.

Also yeah those builds are lovely. I think after a single playthrough it's easier to understand how to build for devotion procs, because you can more easily understand how devotion point gain relates to level gain.

I do love that Devotion skills let you mess with so much of a build. That's what I've really enjoyed about the game, just knowing that around the corner is usually some odd thing that might make me deal a majority of my damage as poison or fire or frost or whatever for the next few levels because of some combo of devotion and gear.

Though again I tend to go for solid and a bit boring on my soldier build which means my devotions are all +resist/+block/+armor and then one for a bit of AOE on Cadence and one that procs on block and spits out swirly stun hammers which are just lovely.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Ha!

or do i

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Ha!

Also yeah those builds are lovely. I think after a single playthrough it's easier to understand how to build for devotion procs, because you can more easily understand how devotion point gain relates to level gain.

I do love that Devotion skills let you mess with so much of a build. That's what I've really enjoyed about the game, just knowing that around the corner is usually some odd thing that might make me deal a majority of my damage as poison or fire or frost or whatever for the next few levels because of some combo of devotion and gear.

Though again I tend to go for solid and a bit boring on my soldier build which means my devotions are all +resist/+block/+armor and then one for a bit of AOE on Cadence and one that procs on block and spits out swirly stun hammers which are just lovely.

Being able to respec skills/devotion at will is my number one favorite thing about this game. If I can't mess around with builds I get bored quickly. Respeccing mastery points would be neat too but I can sort of see why they didn't allow that, design wise.

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    @3clipse the Trainer or Cheat Engine table will let you re-set Mastery points.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Excision wrote: »
    @3clipse the Trainer or Cheat Engine table will let you re-set Mastery points.

Yeah I'd seen this around, I don't feel a pressing need to mess with them though. But for example one of the things that frustrated me about Diablo II and the Torchlight games is that there was no (legitimate) way to reset your points. I've always disagreed with that design decision, largely because it's basically a fuck you to new/casual players. Most of the intuitive builds are actually quite bad in late game, so you have all these wasted points and need a new character entirely. Booooooooo.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Real talk, I never would've guessed that surreality was English. Not in a million years.

In other news I started playing this game for the first time yesterday, despite having owned it since pretty much day one of it being available. I like it a lot but I have no idea what I'm doing.
    Currently I have a Demo/shaman running around with a shotgun inflicting hot fiery death (with a side of lightning) on all who look at me funny, it seems effective enough for now.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Real talk, I never would've guessed that surreality was English. Not in a million years.

!! THE DISGUISE WORKS

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    god damn the devouring swarm ability is amazingly delicious

• Options
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »

In other news I started playing this game for the first time yesterday, despite having owned it since pretty much day one of it being available. I like it a lot but I have no idea what I'm doing.
    Currently I have a Demo/shaman running around with a shotgun inflicting hot fiery death (with a side of lightning) on all who look at me funny, it seems effective enough for now.

I think one good way to ensure your build makes sense is to check all your damage breakdowns.

If you've got a bunch of +% damage to something, make sure it's actually one of the major components of your attacks. I totally whiffed for a while when i made Cadence 50% Elemental, I went up like 400 DPS when I swapped points and went back to just Physical, because most of my gear was biased toward Physical damage.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Didn't Titan Quest eventually release a small patch/update that added a respec potion that you could buy from a vendor? I could have sworn they did, which makes me think it quite odd that there isn't one in this game. Or at least just the option to respec for free. That was always my only real gripe w/ TQ, and it'll likely be the same with this game. I can understand the appeal of the no respec to give your character more meaning to you or whatever, but it's 2016 and this is a pretty big game with like what, 36 possible class combinations or thereabouts? I want to try them all, not get attached to one character.

Anyway, up to 55, started playing on elite mode. Getting a little bored of my 2 skill build, which is fire shot/stunjacks with everything else into passives. My damage is pretty good with it, but even pumping up the passives in soldier, my defense still seems too weak.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Didn't Titan Quest eventually release a small patch/update that added a respec potion that you could buy from a vendor? I could have sworn they did, which makes me think it quite odd that there isn't one in this game. Or at least just the option to respec for free. That was always my only real gripe w/ TQ, and it'll likely be the same with this game. I can understand the appeal of the no respec to give your character more meaning to you or whatever, but it's 2016 and this is a pretty big game with like what, 36 possible class combinations or thereabouts? I want to try them all, not get attached to one character.

Anyway, up to 55, started playing on elite mode. Getting a little bored of my 2 skill build, which is fire shot/stunjacks with everything else into passives. My damage is pretty good with it, but even pumping up the passives in soldier, my defense still seems too weak.

defense is mainly about gearing which makes elite and higher a bit less interesting

gotta cap them resists... rip

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

I believe there's a potion to reset your devotions for free. No idea where you get it (probably a recipe you have to find).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

You're thinking of Torchlight. If I recall correctly, Titan Quest let you pay to reallocate skill points from the start (but you were charged by the point and the cost scaled up the more you used it, so totally redoing your whole build from scratch would have been cost-prohibitive).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

You're thinking of Torchlight. If I recall correctly, Titan Quest let you pay to reallocate skill points from the start (but you were charged by the point and the cost scaled up the more you used it, so totally redoing your whole build from scratch would have been cost-prohibitive).

That's exactly how it works in GD, except it scales up over time for all your characters. I think like 20 bits per ten skill deallocations or something? Caps at 15k bits per skillpoint.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    took apart a build i found online, tweaked it around somewhat, and created what i've come to think of as a batshit crazy coal miner who loves explosives way too much

ranged weapons, lots of gadgets, a bunch of passive shit

the demolitionist tree is fucking sexy

stuns and aoe shit and fire all over the place and tons of burn damage

i like it quite a bit

• Options

I believe there's a potion to reset your devotions for free. No idea where you get it (probably a recipe you have to find).

Nemesis mobs can drop it, so it's a huge grind to get to the point it can even drop at all. I don't think my lvl 84 Warlock is anywhere near Nemesis with any enemy type.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I guess it's a mark of how good this game is that I can't settle on a single build. Been working on a Sorceror for pistol spam meteor proc, but I'm also currently leveling a Warder for a Retaliation/Spear of the Heavens shield build. SO MUCH TO DOOOOOOOOOO.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    doing a 100% aether damage ranged cadence 2-handed caster build

arcane bomb is gud!!

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I guess it's a mark of how good this game is that I can't settle on a single build. Been working on a Sorceror for pistol spam meteor proc, but I'm also currently leveling a Warder for a Retaliation/Spear of the Heavens shield build. SO MUCH TO DOOOOOOOOOO.

The struggle is real!

My sorceress (lv 29) is in an okay spot now by maxing out flash freeze and a single point in aether ray (to keep energy costs down) for champs and bosses. Only issue is she doesn't do well against CC immune bosses.

My conjurer (24) does pretty well against everything now but I'm not a huge fan of the play style.

The proc gunslinger looks pretty neat, maybe I'll do that or a tanky soldier crossed with something else. Maybe I can try to create Geralt of Rivia and make a witcher.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    The build options in this game seem ridiculously diverse. I think if I get bored with my doorkicker guy I'll look at building a character to mirror Elric of Melnibone.
    Get a sword-wielding caster with a shit load of life-steal and chaos damage going on, should be fun.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    I do like the fact that all the casters have a "Just hit them with a magic sword" option in their trees.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I do like the fact that all the casters have a "Just hit them with a magic sword" option in their trees.

and you can get hold of melee procs from gear and relics

so if you go occultist + arcanist you can get the troll relic for a left click replacement, and then various belts and gloves for passive "on attack" procs (like the gloves which give you a KNOCKOUT PUNCH or the belt which gives you a dual wield pistol special etc)

with the occultist + arcanist combo you can convert all your physical damage into chaos and elemental, then add on significant dot as well as extra chaos and vitality, then run massive defensive buffs from the arcanist tree with aoe cc and the damage absorb in occultist final. you will have low max hp but high mitigation, very good regen and can always pick up lots of health and %hp defensive passives from devotions (you can get stuff like turtle shell and ghoulish hunger very easily)

also bird healing

BIRD

HEALING

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    so if you go occultist + arcanist you can get the troll relic for a left click replacement, and then various belts and gloves for passive "on attack" procs (like the gloves which give you a KNOCKOUT PUNCH or the belt which gives you a dual wield pistol special etc

Since I'm going to start my hunt for that shortly, I thought I'd toss up the info for anyone else interested:

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Mistborn_Talisman_(relic)

MrMiscreant on
    LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    so if you go occultist + arcanist you can get the troll relic for a left click replacement, and then various belts and gloves for passive "on attack" procs (like the gloves which give you a KNOCKOUT PUNCH or the belt which gives you a dual wield pistol special etc

Since I'm going to start my hunt for that shortly, I thought I'd toss up the info for anyone else interested:

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Mistborn_Talisman_(relic)

As somebody who farmed this recently here's my advice - do it on Normal or Veteran and preferably use a character who is sturdy enough to run past a lot of angry trolls. My Trickster just shadow striked past a lot of enemies, then killed the ones on the bridge and all the trolls from there on. Makes it a lot faster than trying to do it on Ultimate and having to kill everything because even the trash trolls mess my fragile Warlock up if she has to facetank any. Took me over 20 kills so there's a fair difference between it taking 12 minutes or 6 minutes (or whatever it actually took, I wasn't checking the time - just that there was a huge difference).

ETA: I actually got a bunch of nice stuff from the troll boss for my Trickster, a new sword and such. As long as you skip the pointless trash it has a nice time:loot ratio.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    I totally got the mistborn recipe on my first playthrough without even knowing what it was

why I am so good at videogames

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MarsloMarslo is, the dirty frenchmen MontrealRegistered User regular
    Well i ran in to that challenge dungeon with out knowing what it was. But if anyone of you fine folks around level 35 wanna give it a run. Send me a pm, or something.

• Options
    Veteran finished with my Trickster, face-tanked the last boss with paltry 12% Chaos resistance with my life steals, Wendigo Totem and Pneumatic Burst. With the way my life bar bounced up and down during almost every damn fight I'm really surprised I only died once and even that was because I got blocked by a high level hero on both sides of me on a narrow bridge way back in Act 2. Managed to score useful legendary from the final quest too, that's always nice.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Veteran finished with my Trickster, face-tanked the last boss with paltry 12% Chaos resistance with my life steals, Wendigo Totem and Pneumatic Burst. With the way my life bar bounced up and down during almost every damn fight I'm really surprised I only died once and even that was because I got blocked by a high level hero on both sides of me on a narrow bridge way back in Act 2. Managed to score useful legendary from the final quest too, that's always nice.

How was it? Trickster was going to be my next class. Enjoyable?

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Mirkel wrote: »

How was it? Trickster was going to be my next class. Enjoyable?

Yes, it's tons of fun. Very active gameplay, you have to pay attention constantly to live. Takes a while to get going and you are quite weak early on before you have a few devotions* and the defensive stuff from Shaman but once it all clicks together it feels powerful. I've even grown to like Wendigo Totem now that I have more points in it and know how to use it, though it remains kinda weak in the late game with all the enemies that spew fire and crap on the ground so you need to move and can't stay within its small area. Helps if you have some decent gear in the stash, especially weapons.

Started Elite and it's smooth sailing so far, feels so much easier than Veteran. I killed the end boss at 48, got half a dozen required lvl 50 pieces I just put on that made my dps jump 30% which might be a part of it.

*I went for Wendigo as soon as I could, then Behemoth for more hp and the heal, Bat and Revenant for more life steal.

http://grimcalc.com/build/jQfosX <-- here's my current build at 50.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Just wondering if there is any reason for skipping Hidden Hand? I'm working on a Trickster right now, in the 20s, I'm finding all the modifier skills on Dual Blades to work quite well.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Just wondering if there is any reason for skipping Hidden Hand? I'm working on a Trickster right now, in the 20s, I'm finding all the modifier skills on Dual Blades to work quite well.

It converts piercing damage (which I have +354% for) to acid damage (damage bonus +73%). Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Got to level 51 and put one point in Veil of Shadow and Night's Chill to take advantage of the +2 Night's Chill bonus I have on an item. Looks like the tiny cold damage portion of Night's Chill can crit and those crits can proc my Ring of Steel on crit -items. :P

Edit: Checked my actual damage values.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    Myiagros wrote: »

hidden hand doesnt increase prox and if u dont have stronk poison/acid bonus es not much of a deeps increase

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Man, @surrealitycheck , your video prompted me to give a Boomromancer a try and lord'a'mercy am I ever impressed. Booms are being courted up in this house of love.

I've got booms on my booms so I can boom while I boom, and there are only more booms on the horizon. I have boomed a man in reno just to watch him boom. I've seen booms you people wouldn't believe. Booms booming off the shoulder of booms. I watched booms in the dark near some other booms All those booms will be lost in further booms, like booms ... Booming.

They should have sent a poet, is what I'm getting at here.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg