Options

[Grim Dawn] Somehow even grimmer

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    How are the animations for abilities and weapon attacks? I really hate going through a game like this seeing my character only swing their weapon in the same stilted pose for as many times as I have to attack things

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    How are the animations for abilities and weapon attacks? I really hate going through a game like this seeing my character only swing their weapon in the same stilted pose for as many times as I have to attack things

They seem fine to me. Most melee classes don't just use the same attack every time they hit an enemy in any case. If I left-click attack an enemy with my Trickster for example, she will either swing with her main hand, with her offhand, with both weapons or she will do Belgothian Shears proc (a sweeping attack hitting three enemies), Amarasta's Quick Cut (rapid attacks on one enemy) or Whirling Death (360 degree 6-target whirlwind attack). Later on I'll get Execute added to the pile. I suppose you could make a 2h using character who would only have 2-3 different animations but you'd still use a lot of ability attacks to mix it up. Not sure since I don't really pay attention to it that much but I think even the basic 2h melee attack has a few animations that chain together instead of just whack, whack, whack.

I enjoy Grim Dawn's melee a lot more than Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2 for example, and I like all three games. It feels and sounds weighty and powerful. My only annoyance is that the dual-wield builds I especially like are fairly glass-cannonish and require kiting and/or very defensive gearing to stay alive. 2H and 1H + shield builds can get defensive skills a lot easier.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Yeah, GD feels a lot less 'one button spam' because the flow of the combat actually requires or encourages the use of utility skills, debuffs, cool down abilities, etc. You're obviously generally still going to have your DPS main skill, but it feels a lot more varied and interesting than, say, Path of Exile's 'pick one skill and automate every other action so you don't waste time doing anything other than spamming DPS'.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I am playing a totally one-button-spam character and it's still not SUPER one-button spam. And it looks neat, since there are a bunch of procs for different attacks sprinkled in there.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    So just out of curiosity what does everyone here like to play? Also, anyone attempted to join randoms in multiplayer, how well did it work out?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    So just out of curiosity what does everyone here like to play? Also, anyone attempted to join randoms in multiplayer, how well did it work out?

I'm quite fond of my pewpew firestrike sorceress, but also largely because I have like 3-4 separate fire based devotion procs between Fire Strike and my CC skills so I basically hit a few buttons and napalm the screen.

Haven't tried randos in multiplayer, I have a couple of friends who play that I'll sometimes invite to a dungeon crawl. You can try hitting up the Discord chat (there's a link on the official forums on the sidebar) for someone to play with who's one step above "total rando on the server list".

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Pure soldier, all Cadence and passives. It's fun because I keep finding items that proc stuff on hit and on block so I just wade into enemies with hammers swirling around me and enemies bursting into explosions of their own accord.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular

I'm not big into magic classes in any game, I like the digital feel of cold, hard steel, either ranged or melee. Right now I'm playing a ranged commando (demo/soldier). My next will probably be a Trickster (nightblade/shaman).

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Right now I'm an arcanist (haven't picked a second class) and just completely rolled through act 1 with lots of points into Flash Freeze and Sky Shard. Flash freeze at this point will 1 shot everything on the screen. Sky Shard ends up being more of a single target skill and can also hit for huge amounts, especially when all 3 connect. These skills still have a lot of points before they are maxed, so this should keep me going through act 2. Past that I have no idea what I'm going to do or how stuff is going to scale.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Flash Freeze is one of the best abilities in the game, yes. I have it on my gunslinger because it's just "press q and every enemy in a half mile radius is now CC'd for 5 seconds", which is real nice.

Oh yeah, and -90% fire resist. mmmmmmmm.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Got a lvl 84 pet Warlock - Flash Freeze and let the pets gnaw on the popsicles while I spam 200 dps DEE on enemies to proc Shepherd's Call. Not super-fast but fairly safe, haven't died in Ultimate even once. Playing a lvl 28 Trickster right now though which is a lot more fragile character. Makes combat quite a bit more intense though with the hp bar bouncing up and down constantly and my character Shadow Striking to escape trouble or to run right into more of it. A few stars from Wendigo's life steal proc, hoping that helps.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    When I first started running this sorcerer guy, I put some points into Paneti's Replicating Missile and it was decent, but not amazing. I started beelining to AAR for super lazor action. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, the AOE was garbage, my regen meant standing around waiting after battles for my energy to refill, and just standing there taking hits was.... painful to say the least. So as @The Escape Goat mentioned, I respecced out some points and put them into Callidor's Tempest, and the damage was pretty good, but I was still running into issues where a couple melee guys might get in a hit or two before shuffling off this mortal coil and ranged guys were hitting me all the while, so my survivability was still pretty awful.

So I respecced again. This time, boosting PRM again, but now to a more respectable level, and throwing a few more points into the flash freeze CC ability. I'm much much better for clearing trash now, but I'm back at the original problem of not enough damage to take out champs and heroes quickly and painlessly. I actually found this guy (http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Dementia) as a drop, but I still need 3 more levels before I can use it. This is my current build, I was wondering how I could reconfigure things to help with lower-level progression until I can start finding better gear, and or scrap my plan and go for something that already works well.

m!ttens on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Beat the base storyline tonight, got to level 51. There's still a surprising amount of stuff left to do before even thinking about moving to the next difficulty. Lots of faction quests and bounties, areas to unlock, etc.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    When I first started running this sorcerer guy, I put some points into Paneti's Replicating Missile and it was decent, but not amazing. I started beelining to AAR for super lazor action. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, the AOE was garbage, my regen meant standing around waiting after battles for my energy to refill, and just standing there taking hits was.... painful to say the least. So as "The Escape Goat" mentioned, I respecced out some points and put them into Callidor's Tempest, and the damage was pretty good, but I was still running into issues where a couple melee guys might get in a hit or two before shuffling off this mortal coil and ranged guys were hitting me all the while, so my survivability was still pretty awful.

So I respecced again. This time, boosting PRM again, but now to a more respectable level, and throwing a few more points into the flash freeze CC ability. I'm much much better for clearing trash now, but I'm back at the original problem of not enough damage to take out champs and heroes quickly and painlessly. I actually found this guy (http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Dementia) as a drop, but I still need 3 more levels before I can use it. This is my current build, I was wondering how I could reconfigure things to help with lower-level progression until I can start finding better gear, and or scrap my plan and go for something that already works well.

Yeah, PRM is actually generally considered king of AoE trash clearing (especially early game), I just hadn't mentioned it because it's very skillpoint intensive if you also want to be doing laser shenanigans. But yeah, it takes longer to kill heroes/bosses with it; early in the game it's hard to be proficient at both. Just gotta up that kiting game, mang.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    How is the Arcanist skill Devastation? Sounds like it would be fun, but I wonder if an 18 second cooldown skill is worth it.

• Options
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    How is the Arcanist skill Devastation? Sounds like it would be fun, but I wonder if an 18 second cooldown skill is worth it.

It's fine when you're casting it, but yeah, the cooldown kinda kills it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Played a few hours and got that Wendigo constellation finished. I thought it would add a buff for me but instead it seems to be a DoT. Would've been silly powerful to get +140 vitality damage that does life drain on top of it I guess and it works just fine as it is - there's pink skulls everywhere when I fight in a group and my life bar goes up quite fast from just lifesteal procs on its own. Also managed to level up my Shaman mastery to the point where I can get extra life and some OA/DA which all adds to being able to face tank a lot better. Playing on Veteran it often feels like you have to fight enemies your build isn't yet built to handle but now it's finally getting there.

Not sure if I should go for Wendigo totem next or fill out my woefully underleveled skills at last.

• Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular

Just bought it tonight, sunk four hours into a Pyromancer (Demolitionist/Occultist) build, and I'm loving it. Basically just lure w/ my rifle spamming explosive shot, then throw out shock caltrops while my raven blasts people. Only complaint I have so far is that normal difficulty is super-easy. Haven't had to touch a potion yet...never really get hit much at all, come to think of it.

• Options
    Dissent wrote: »

Just bought it tonight, sunk four hours into a Pyromancer (Demolitionist/Occultist) build, and I'm loving it. Basically just lure w/ my rifle spamming explosive shot, then throw out shock caltrops while my raven blasts people. Only complaint I have so far is that normal difficulty is super-easy. Haven't had to touch a potion yet...never really get hit much at all, come to think of it.

There is a veteran modifier that makes it a little harder, you can select it from the main menu. From what I can tell, it just adds a bunch more champion monsters.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Played a bit more last night, having a lot of fun going pure Shaman. Maxed Feral Hunger + Savagery and Primal Strike just tears through packs, definitely my jam for playstyle.

• Options
    Here's something I just realized after 170 hours of playing this - the faction gear rerolls their stats every time you take a portal to new area and visit a vendor. I hit 35 with my Trickster so I've been jumping around various faction vendors and once I upgraded my gloves I figured I'll go back and grab those +51 OA shoulders I saw. I go there and the shoulders only have +32 OA or some such lame number, then I take a portal to Rover camp and see that the gloves I bought have a lot higher +attack speed than the ones the vendor is selling now. So if you have some sort of OCD for perfect rolls on gear ... be prepared to leap around the world a million times, hoping for a jackpot.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I went demo/occult, but am regretting putting points in occult now. I was going to go for a pet build, but found the hellhound thing pretty meh, so I'm just going to stick with the bird for a bit of healing and keep some points in the slow ability. The rest is going into demo because setting things on fire and blowing them up is just too much fun. It's like playing a fire mage, but with bombs and mines instead of magic.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I went demo/occult, but am regretting putting points in occult now. I was going to go for a pet build, but found the hellhound thing pretty meh, so I'm just going to stick with the bird for a bit of healing and keep some points in the slow ability. The rest is going into demo because setting things on fire and blowing them up is just too much fun. It's like playing a fire mage, but with bombs and mines instead of magic.

pets scale with level so a 1-point pet is actually not bad as a meatshield distraction

also hellhound has a fire damage buff that affects the user so can be a HALPFUL CAMBO with ur bombz

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    Been using a Witchblade. After a slow start, it's working pretty well at lvl 42. I think I spent too long with nothing other than Summon Familiar, Solael's Flame, Cadence, and Sigil of Consumption, so combat was basically "drop Sigil, facetank with 2-handed weapon, repeat." Adding Doombolt and the item ability from a Mark of Dreeg helped spice things up.

As ever, though, I start thinking about other characters before I'm even done with this one. Anyone have any thoughts on Spellbreakers? (I feel like a mobile, dual-wielding frost-damage glass cannon would be a nice change of pace from the Witchblade).

@Mirkel -- what do you have the Wendigo constellation ability assigned to? It's working fine on Cadence for me, but I'm wondering if it procs off of DoTs, like the Sigil, which would be pretty spiffy...

LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options

Pets are great but they (or at least all the pets that say "scale with pet bonuses") really require a committed pet build to work well unlike in some other games. So either you go full pets and only cast debuffs and proc devotions with your attacks with your gear either giving defenses or pet bonuses or you skip all the pets. Raven can work in a non-pet build as a healer* and/or buffer with 1 point in the lightning attack for the stun, but Hellhound is either crap or awesome depending whether you go all in or try to use it as an one-point wonder. My Warlock has roughly +500% pet damage (and +50% pet attack speed, +100% pet health etc) and gets another +150% of it from Shepherd's Call. If Hellhound would be awesome with minimal commitment it would be totally broken for pet builds.

*Raven may seem like a crap healer if you play on Normal, since it doesn't heal you until you take a lot of damage. On Ultimate where trash mobs hit for 2k it can be a life-saver though.

• Options
    @Mirkel -- what do you have the Wendigo constellation ability assigned to? It's working fine on Cadence for me, but I'm wondering if it procs off of DoTs, like the Sigil, which would be pretty spiffy...

It's tied to Savagery, which is my normal attack. 50% of my attacks are various dual wield procs from Nightblade so that reduces the chances for it to proc, but at the speed I'm attacking it doesn't really matter that much. Going for Bat next to open Behemoth and I'll probably have to assign Twin Fangs to one of the DW procs, Belgothian Shears maybe. Once I get to Execution I might just drop Amarasta's Quick Cut from my build to avoid crowding out Savagery blows.

Any idea if Cadence-assigned abilities only proc from the third hit, or does any basic attack using Cadence that's not a Markovian or Zolhan proc it? 2h attacks slowly enough that you should be able to eyeball it.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Been using a Witchblade. After a slow start, it's working pretty well at lvl 42. I think I spent too long with nothing other than Summon Familiar, Solael's Flame, Cadence, and Sigil of Consumption, so combat was basically "drop Sigil, facetank with 2-handed weapon, repeat." Adding Doombolt and the item ability from a Mark of Dreeg helped spice things up.

As ever, though, I start thinking about other characters before I'm even done with this one. Anyone have any thoughts on Spellbreakers? (I feel like a mobile, dual-wielding frost-damage glass cannon would be a nice change of pace from the...

Spellbreakers own stack magic procs hit idiots proc procs from procs freeze other idiots

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    So I hit the point in my build where fire strike + flash freeze basically takes care of all but the largest and hardiest of packs (sometimes toss a flashbang in there too), but I didn't want to JUST be doing that. So I have my value points in canister bomb (w/ stun, and it also procs Meteor Shower from Ulzuin's Torch--basically a guaranteed proc on a group of enemies), thermite mine and mortar trap (fun fact, mortar trap blocks pathing if you drop it in a doorway) all bound to a single button (using a razer macro). I call it my napalm button.

The napalm button is real fun.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Any idea if Cadence-assigned abilities only proc from the third hit, or does any basic attack using Cadence that's not a Markovian or Zolhan proc it? 2h attacks slowly enough that you should be able to eyeball it.

It's any non-M or -Z basic attack. I tested it on the training dummy in Homestead, and it procced on the first hit enough times that I'm 90% sure
    Spellbreakers own stack magic procs hit idiots proc procs from procs freeze other idiots

Word. That's up next, then.

MrMiscreant on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    dupe

MrMiscreant on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Mirkel wrote: »

It's any non-M or -Z basic attack. I tested it on the training dummy in Homestead, and it procced on the first hit enough times that I'm 90% sure

Word. That's up next, then.

basically u just need to think hard about how u gon manage ur defenses but other than that u have super stronk offense options, not least because u can just use flash freeze to handle damage from trash and then just run around chopping frozen nerds

any dual wield build is good for running lots of high cooldown devotion procs - 20% procs happen irregularly, but if theyre aoe they have a high chance of causing things like blizzards/meteors to proc

if you have things with short cooldowns designed to be spammed then youll want an auto-attack enhancer. the troll relic gives you one which is really useful for a dual wield spellbreaker, as otherwise you dont have one

other than that stacking attack proc stuff on gear is great (lightning bolts, the triple fireball helmet etc)

it owns i just turn up and things fly everywhere i love the itemisation pass they did

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    also i cannot emphasise how flexible the masteries are

soldier can be support for a defensive caster (all the shield stuff, low health regeneration, generic defensive ability/physique/hp buffs), damage option for a retaliation character (shield block chance up for block prox + the exclusive retaliation skill), support for any type of autoattack build (markovian + zolhan), even magic damage based ones, support for any type of crit build (offensive ability available from fighting form / field tactics giving %all damage, attack speed and offensive ability), crowd control for any type of melee build even a magic one (counterstrike/the yell which slows people down and reduces damage) etc etc

there is no combination which makes no sense

doing a tanky build and finished out soldier?
    get occultist for the insane retaliation damage, heal and shit on armour of the guardian, extra retaliation from the crow pet + healing, extra retaliation from the hellhound aura and damage resitance from the exclusive skill
    go arcanist for maiven sphere of protection, aoe crowd control from olexra and mirror for an oh shit button
    go nightblade for a maxed out melee range -offensive ability and %all speed debuff, a heal and speed up from pneumatic burst and an aoe cc from freeze modifier circle of blades + an oh shit button
    go demolitionist for the bonus retaliation damage from the second tier of the weapon buff, blast shield, the aoe stun and health regen from the fire aura whose name i forgot, aoe cc from flashbang and modifier, etc etc
    go shaman for aoe life steal if 2-hand, %hp and life regen from modragen, offtank pet in form of briarthorn, wendigo totem for aoe lifesteal

and not just that there are huge variations even within these, go nuts

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

soldier can be support for a defensive caster (all the shield stuff, low health regeneration, generic defensive ability/physique/hp buffs), damage option for a retaliation character (shield block chance up for block prox + the exclusive retaliation skill), support for any type of autoattack build (markovian + zolhan), even magic damage based ones, support for any type of crit build (offensive ability available from fighting form / field tactics giving %all damage, attack speed and offensive ability), crowd control for any type of melee build even a magic one (counterstrike/the yell which slows people down and reduces damage) etc etc

there is no combination which makes no sense

doing a tanky build and finished out soldier?
    get occultist for the insane retaliation damage, heal and shit on armour of the guardian, extra retaliation from the crow pet + healing, extra retaliation from the hellhound aura and damage resitance from the exclusive skill
    go arcanist for maiven sphere of protection, aoe crowd control from olexra and mirror for an oh shit button
    go nightblade for a maxed out melee range -offensive ability and %all speed debuff, a heal and speed up from pneumatic burst and an aoe cc from freeze modifier circle of blades + an oh shit button
    go demolitionist for the bonus retaliation damage from the second tier of the weapon buff, blast shield, the aoe stun and health regen from the fire aura whose name i forgot, aoe cc from flashbang and modifier, etc etc
    go shaman for aoe life steal if 2-hand, %hp and life regen from modragen, offtank pet in form of briarthorn, wendigo totem for aoe lifesteal

and not just that there are huge variations even within these, go nuts

this is a great post

I'm gonna link this post on the GD discord because more people should read this post

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular

There is a veteran modifier that makes it a little harder, you can select it from the main menu. From what I can tell, it just adds a bunch more champion monsters.

Still crushing it on veteran, which I don't mind, because I'm getting to live out all my Wizard Gunfighter fantasies. Think I just got lucky early: have had four epics drop so far that are putting my health regen and lightning attack through the roof.

• Options
    edited March 2016

Still crushing it on veteran, which I don't mind, because I'm getting to live out all my Wizard Gunfighter fantasies. Think I just got lucky early: have had four epics drop so far that are putting my health regen and lightning attack through the roof.

im doing a wizard commando at the moment who just dual wields pistols and shits fireballs and volcanoes everywhere its great

they tried to kick me out of wizard school for using a gun but ill show them

also i randomly give people chaos and fire damage flu : (

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    i picked this thingy up a few hours ago

going shaman and i assume occultist for all of the bleeding damage shit

yay for whatever it is that gets me loot

flex them toasted butts
    part of a tasty breakfast
    all hail doctor doom

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options

I've got to say: there's still a lot I have yet to do, but there's a good chance GD will wind up being my all-time favorite ARPG in the end.
    also i randomly give people chaos and fire damage flu : (

That was the worst part of the 1918 outbreak: all the explosions when people sneezed.
    going shaman and i assume occultist for all of the bleeding damage shit

There's also a strong life-steal build with that combo. Just FWIW.

Also, the Shaman + Occultist combo class is called the Conjurer? Nah. Lore fail, guys. A occultist shaman is a Witch.

• Options
    Also, the Shaman + Occultist combo class is called the Conjurer? Nah. Lore fail, guys. A occultist shaman is a Witch.

Not in Grim Dawn's world - they call people who dabble in the Aether witches, so a Witch would probably be Occultist/Arcanist. Given that combo is Warlock which has sometimes been used as the male form of Witch the lore checks out just fine.

In other news my Trickster is still proceeding just fine ... except I haven't found any decent resist gear and my aether and chaos resists are both a big fat zero. Makes some fights a bit too exciting for my tastes but so far hasn't outright killed me. I will need to scrounge up some chaos resist for the end battle though, can't see doing that with 0 resist. Also got Wendigo Totem at last but not really happy with its short range. I'm used to leaping around the battlefield with Shadow Strike and that doesn't work with the totem too well. It still can be really good in some fights but sometimes trying to use it is just a liability.

• Options
    shaman + occultist is called conjurer because theyre assuming ur a pet nerd because they are haters

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I should try a dual-class, but I kind of love just filling up all the useful Soldier skills.