As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Grim Dawn] Somehow even grimmer

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    The random physics is surprisingly fun. I had an epic that gave a skill like...slam?...with a ton of force, and I'd use it to try to shoot bad dude corpses through doorways. Goal!

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Congrats to @Petesalzl on winning the giveaway! Accept my friend request on steam to snag it.

Put in about two hours last night, made it up to 16. The gameplay is definitely addictive, knew I had to go to bed but kept saying "just one more zone".

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    wow, very awesome, thank you
    edit: thanks again, ive marked it as received

Petesalzl on
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    I'm playing a Stormcaller build that was linked earlier in this thread. It is more fun than my self made Battlemage and I'm level 48. I'll see how far I can take this toon before thinking about melee (which is generally a terrible idea in ARPGs)/

I am level 67 in Elite difficulty with this build. It's still extremely viable and only gets stronger. There are times I can push my luck if there are 3-4 heroes on screen at a time, but it's rare.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Noquar wrote: »
    I'm playing a Stormcaller build that was linked earlier in this thread. It is more fun than my self made Battlemage and I'm level 48. I'll see how far I can take this toon before thinking about melee (which is generally a terrible idea in ARPGs)/

I am level 67 in Elite difficulty with this build. It's still extremely viable and only gets stronger. There are times I can push my luck if there are 3-4 heroes on screen at a time, but it's rare.

I jumped on this bandwagon too -- very satisfying character. :^:

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    thanks for mentioning that. I played a good amount when I first got the game but I waffled on the character and uninstalled and don't have it now so something both strong and satisfying is just what I needed to get myself back in the game

plenty of fun, and hearing body parts land in the seconds after you attack is the most wonderfully satisfying noise

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    From Grim Misadventure #91:
    Zantai wrote:
    Wonder no more as Build 31 is…coming…later…today! With our biggest changelog ever, this one is one update you will not want to miss.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Noquar wrote: »

I'm having trouble starting Elite but I think getting to 65 will help since that seems to be the next gear breakpoint.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Mirkel wrote: »
    From Grim Misadventure #91:
    Zantai wrote:
    Wonder no more as Build 31 is…coming…later…today! With our biggest changelog ever, this one is one update you will not want to miss.

I was just starting to figure out where my build was going, too.

• Options
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    the longer the patch notes, the better. I love reading these things :biggrin:

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I'm guessing this update isn't bringing it out of EA so they can fix any bugs that this huge update has? The final version shouldn't have any major changes that should stop me from making a new character that I plan to stick with right?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing this update isn't bringing it out of EA so they can fix any bugs that this huge update has? The final version shouldn't have any major changes that should stop me from making a new character that I plan to stick with right?

Yeah, that should all be accurate. Just looking out for bugfixes now.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Looks like when you play a crappy non-cookiecutter build that you made up yourself all the cool but not optimal stuff ends up getting buffed. :P

Like Abomination devotion - a fair amount of +hp and the poison nova got a confuse. Very nice. Also my autoattack dps went from 700 to 1700 so now I can in theory actually kill something with it if I can be bothered. With all my elemental resists now at the cap (some of my gear got buffs too) I don't really feel the Mirror nerf too badly. Pets still won't tank everything but at least if there's just one or two easy enemies left I don't need to run around kiting them as long as I don't attack them, pets can take care of such pests now. Maybe feels a bit too easy. We'll see how good ol' end boss is though, he is reputedly a huge PITA for pet classes.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, they were specifically targeting the high-affinity constellations because they absolutely weren't worth the effort before. I'll have to see the VoD of my friend's patchnote stream to really get a handle on how that stuff shakes out (I prefer watching Reynad live too much to switch over atm), but at the very least it should help us that like to do silly shit.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Fighting Form: % Crit Damage removed, % Physical and Bleed damage scaling increased, added a Chance to Pierce Through enemies when used with a Ranged Weapon

R A N G E D C A D E N C E B O Y S

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Fighting Form: % Crit Damage removed, % Physical and Bleed damage scaling increased, added a Chance to Pierce Through enemies when used with a Ranged Weapon

for gunslinger yeah, 2h ranged cadence is still kinda crap probs

the suggestion I heard was make rifles pierce by default as a tradeoff for the DPS loss compared to gunslinger, that'd be cool

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

for gunslinger yeah, 2h ranged cadence is still kinda crap probs

the suggestion I heard was make rifles pierce by default as a tradeoff for the DPS loss compared to gunslinger, that'd be cool

rifle should c h a i n b o y s

!!!!

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    According to Kotaku, final release for Grim Dawn is this Thursday (though I can't figure out where they are getting their information)

EDIT: I guess this is a pretty reliable source:

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Yeah, they were specifically targeting the high-affinity constellations because they absolutely weren't worth the effort before. I'll have to see the VoD of my friend's patchnote stream to really get a handle on how that stuff shakes out (I prefer watching Reynad live too much to switch over atm), but at the very least it should help us that like to do silly shit.

I was really wondering about that. Looking at my plans, I kept coming back to having a bunch of tier 2 constellations and a really even spread of affinities. I think my latest had like Bull, Assassin's blade, Assassin, Dire Bear, Jackal, Viper, and Wendigo and I thought I was screwing up not getting to the 'big' ones on the edges.

Also, does anyone know of a devotion planner that works on a phone? Sadly the grimcalc.com version does not.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Hooray! My fiance has been waiting for this game since 2010. We haven't played any Early Access yet, so looking forward to it for sure. Occultist/Arcanist the best if someone likes squishy mages who can summon?

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Smoogy wrote: »
    Hooray! My fiance has been waiting for this game since 2010. We haven't played any Early Access yet, so looking forward to it for sure. Occultist/Arcanist the best if someone likes squishy mages who can summon?

I'm playing one right now and the problem is that with only two summons you can't really do that well, and given the itemization you'll either want to go full pets or pretty much ignore them. I have an offhand (Black Grimoire of Og'Napesh) that gives me a third summon that saves the build for me but it's a random drop so you can't guarantee getting one. AFAIK the conventional wisdom is to go Occultist/Shaman if you want a summoner.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    vwMin.gif

EDIT: Also ACHIEVEMENNNNNNNTS!

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    I have a Black Grimoire floating around and I'm not really planning to do a dedicated pet build, so I could hand that off to a prospective warlock.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Haven't played this for awhile. Looking forward to getting back into it this week. Between this and stardew valley, it should be a fun weekend.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    I had heard a bunch of horror stories about the end boss as a pet class and how hard he hits on Elite+ so just had to give it a go. Kinda annoying fight and I have no idea what my pet were doing and what killed the boss (maybe the 10m poison nova on my revenant did most of the work?) but in the end he died and I didn't. I did have 80% fire and chaos resistances which probably helped a ton, forgot to bind a key to pet attack which might have made the fight a lot faster though.

Turning in the last quest gave me Avatar of Mercy which was one of the best possible rewards, started Ultimate with 84% in all of my elemental resistances. Did the first story quest just to see if I can survive in Ultimate and it didn't seem too bad. You get almost a full level's worth of xp from the easy quests around Devil's Crossing too. Might still go back to Elite for farming better gear, some of my armor pieces are total junk.

• Options
    playing that stormcaller and happened to use a gun for a bit

holy moly is that a satisfying feeling. next character will likely be ranged focused.

also, I had a lvl 31 character that I messed up in a few ways and due to my own weirdness decided to delete. been regretting it for the last 2 weeks since I decided to get back into the game.

I turned on my laptop, installed grim dawn (it barely runs so I probably will be sticking to desktop gaming with this) and lo and behold and my lvl 31 was there. I'm gonna see if I can copy the save over. would be a nice extra character to add to the lowly lvl 11 stormcaller I've been leveling.

so glad it's all finalized now. much more motivated to theorycraft and map out the 2-3 characters I plan to eventually make. I gotta have my dot's

• Options
    Save file transferring is definitely a thing that exists

no idea how to do it, but it can be done

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

There's a cloud saves setting in the options but I don't think it's turned on by default. I lost my characters when I switched computers.

In other news, I just found pants that proc Sigil of Consumption with 33% chance and 3s cooldown. Life draining pentagrams, life draining pentagrams everywhere!

• Options
    I really like the small environment touches, like the salt circles. I really like the salt circles.

Got up to 22. Rockin a fire shot demo with stunjacks. So far it's pretty addictive. Just beat the first act boss, I guess I would describe him as? Was a fun fight with the voice acting and the music change. I wasn't expecting that but it added to the game. I will say there's something about the music I can't put my finger on, but it draws me in. Like, usually in these loot grind games I'll pop on spotify, and I had it on when I loaded the game up, but then I realized I wanted to hear the in-game music.

• Options

There's a cloud saves setting in the options but I don't think it's turned on by default. I lost my characters when I switched computers.

In other news, I just found pants that proc Sigil of Consumption with 33% chance and 3s cooldown. Life draining pentagrams, life draining pentagrams everywhere!

No like, going into the file system and grabbing physical data files that contain character information and transferring them.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

No like, going into the file system and grabbing physical data files that contain character information and transferring them.

Too much hassle at this point, my Warlock is higher level than any of my old characters and I already know more recipes etc.

I also like the salt circles a lot, took me a while to figure out that that's what they were but that just made them cooler when I realized it. The new art for Steps of Torment is amazing too, it used to be such a dreary place and now it's a proper tomb with art and carpets and all. Really adds to the atmosphere of the place.

• Options
    I'm super bad at making characters but I want to do something poison/acid focused. if anyone wants to take a look at this and tell me waht I'm missing that'd be awesome

basically I feel like I might need to commit to a dual wield thing. I can't find a ranged skill that will inflict poison/acid dmg or I'd go that route.

this is basically just me clicking everything that adds those dmg types, eye of dregg, and then a curse to weaken opponents vs those dmg types. also took a curse(?) that I think allows me some life steal.

http://grimcalc.com/build/juBlUI

I consider myself a bad theorycrafter though so if it's like "hey you need a main attack" or something that simple, it's not surprising to me that I'd miss it. gonna play around with some of the early skills a bit to see how they feel.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Edit - this post is probably pointless but I'm gonna leave it explaining my problem. Solution appears to be here: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20752
    gonna make a separate post because this is a very different situation

if I turn on cloud saving, my lvl 31 comes back but my new lvl 11 disappears. when I turn it back off the 11 comes back.

anyone have a guess as to if/how it's possible to have them all come together? I checked my laptop which is where I earlier mentioned finding the lvl 31 (which it must have grabbed from the cloud) but there doesn't seem to be a copyable save in the grim dawn folder on that computer.

strange!

success! yeah that works. and I changed my old character Vari's folder name to Tari so now in my character list I just have 2 characters named Vari. but when I try to use the old one it just loads up the new one haha

Variable on
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    basically I feel like I might need to commit to a dual wield thing. I can't find a ranged skill that will inflict poison/acid dmg or I'd go that route.

Dreeg's Evil Eye is a ranged poison skill. You click an enemy and hurl the eye at them.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I meant something that mods projectile attack, but yeah, thank you.

one last update on my character transfer - I got something backwards and now have no characters. which is fine....... it's fine.

edit - was able to put all the lvl 31's gear in the transfer box, assuming that worked, so it's not a total loss. and that car was a mess and the lvl 11 was just copying the stormcaller build to get a feel for things, so it actually is fine.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I meant something that mods projectile attack, but yeah, thank you.

one last update on my character transfer - I got something backwards and now have no characters. which is fine....... it's fine.

edit - was able to put all the lvl 31's gear in the transfer box, assuming that worked, so it's not a total loss. and that car was a mess and the lvl 11 was just copying the stormcaller build to get a feel for things, so it actually is fine.

Mods a projectile attack? You mean like... +poison damage when using a ranged weapon? Yeah, there isn't much of that, but it's worth considering using pistols because there's a lot of pistols with +poison and +chaos on them (aka intended for occultists), along with a caster off-hand (like a tome or something).

Also :c

Edit: Also to be clear, generally if you're putting a lot of points into Evil Eye that is your main shtick. Like, you have a wand in your left hand an a tome in your right hand and do nothing but cast Eye to kill stuff. Casters generally pick a spell and then use +spell damage gear instead of whacking/shooting things.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    thanks a bunch

yeah that is what I mean but that does make sense and I'm not sure why I wasn't seeing the EYE that way. there's the one skill that makes it less spammable but more dmg so i was thinking I wanted to use something in that time... looks like I'll either use a pistol or maybe not take that skill at all.

• Options
    I'm super bad at making characters but I want to do something poison/acid focused. if anyone wants to take a look at this and tell me waht I'm missing that'd be awesome

this is basically just me clicking everything that adds those dmg types, eye of dregg, and then a curse to weaken opponents vs those dmg types. also took a curse(?) that I think allows me some life steal.

http://grimcalc.com/build/juBlUI

I consider myself a bad theorycrafter though so if it's like "hey you need a main attack" or something that simple, it's not surprising to me that I'd miss it. gonna play around with some of the early skills a bit to see how they feel.

That build isn't very good - it's missing good defenses and there's skills that don't add much to it. If you want to do the poison thing, you'll probably want to go full Dreeg's Evil Eye (and maybe Dreeg's Infinite Gaze from Mark of Dreeg) and toss stuff like Sigil of Consumption (it's not a curse that adds life drain, it's a ground area damage over time thing) and Solael's Witchfire. You'll also really want Possession for the huge +poison damage and some defenses. Spending over 40 points in Nightblade just for +118% poison is kinda crazy too.

I actually do a fair bit of poison damage with my Warlock pet guy, but I have Arcanist for crowd control and some additional defensive skills like Mirror and Maiven. You could probably do a fairly good poison Warlock as well, maybe something like this: http://grimcalc.com/build/JzOoaF

I haven't actually tried that so it's just something I threw together in a few minutes but it should do decently well.

• Options
    thanks a bunch

yeah that is what I mean but that does make sense and I'm not sure why I wasn't seeing the EYE that way. there's the one skill that makes it less spammable but more dmg so i was thinking I wanted to use something in that time... looks like I'll either use a pistol or maybe not take that skill at all.

Oh yeah, I forgot the eye had one of those cooldown tramsuters. I actually like to do those more because I like the feeling of having a skill rotation, but technically speaking putting a cooldown on something is less efficient (unless it gives some other positive, like blade arc or callidor's tempest becoming AoE knockdowns). Efficiency isn't everything however, and really it probably won't even matter unless you get to the final difficulty, which takes a while (I'm still not there with my first char), and if you do get that far and struggle reskilling stuff isn't difficult. So yeah, just do whatever you find more fun c:

You can also get several items that let you dual wield pistols, if you didn't know about that. That can be fun if you wanna try that on an occultist.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg