As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Grim Dawn] Somehow even grimmer

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    thanks a bunch

yeah that is what I mean but that does make sense and I'm not sure why I wasn't seeing the EYE that way. there's the one skill that makes it less spammable but more dmg so i was thinking I wanted to use something in that time... looks like I'll either use a pistol or maybe not take that skill at all.

You can't really do a ranged poison build with pistols as your main attack. If you want pistols and spells (or grenades at least) you can do it with fire but not with poison.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    thanks a bunch

yeah that is what I mean but that does make sense and I'm not sure why I wasn't seeing the EYE that way. there's the one skill that makes it less spammable but more dmg so i was thinking I wanted to use something in that time... looks like I'll either use a pistol or maybe not take that skill at all.

You can't really do a ranged poison build with pistols as your main attack. If you want pistols and spells (or grenades at least) you can do it with fire but not with poison.

I think you can get away with it using Eye with the transumter as your nuke/AoE with supplemental pistol fire. But yeah, when it comes to just raw killing things with pistols, builds focus more on Fire or Fire/Lightning or Fire/Chaos or Lightning, generally. Physical pistol builds may also come about with the changes to Fighting Form in Soldier.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    thanks mirkel that's exactly what I meant when I said I'm not good at building characters. I see a keyword and just go for it rather than really weighing the cost.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    thanks mirkel that's exactly what I meant when I said I'm not good at building characters. I see a keyword and just go for it rather than really weighing the cost.

Changing your points around is really cheap in the game so you can just experiment quite a bit (though you can't refund mastery points). Still, it's a lot easier to build your character slowly as you level and get a feel of what works and what doesn't than just slapping 200+ points into a calculator in one go.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    You gotta love restarting a new character and, before even making it to Burial Hill, you get a sweet rare item to get things kicked off right. The game must really want me to play this Shammy.

Inb4 I never see a rare drop again.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    So, I'm a veteran ARPG player weaned on Diablo 2, 3, Torchlight 2, Path of Exile, etc.

Is there anything NEW here for me or is it much the same? I still might pick it up, but wondering what the EA players have to say on this.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »
    So, I'm a veteran ARPG player weaned on Diablo 2, 3, Torchlight 2, Path of Exile, etc.

Is there anything NEW here for me or is it much the same? I still might pick it up, but wondering what the EA players have to say on this.

This thread on Reddit may answer your question.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    So I'm playing an Occultist with DEE as main DPS, and want to use the Hellhound as well. I selected Demolitionist as secondary class, but not sure if I should have (too late now).

How does this look for a start to the build? Playing Veteran Hardcore.

grimcalc.com/build/FZbo4z

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Excision wrote: »
    Smoogy wrote: »

This thread on Reddit may answer your question.

Thank you! I will check this out now :)

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I've been having a great time of it, going back to my level 45 (now 46) pure Soldier build!

There seem to have been a lot of tiny QoL improvements made in the new patch. I'm having a bunch of fun just figuring out exactly how much I can do to push my stats with augments and materials and getting X% of my damage to be Y and then get +Z% to that damage.

ALSO though questions now that it's Final:

-Did it get like a lot harder? I suddenly am having a lot more moments of shit getting real, with damage just sort of sticking to me like either I just got hit for literally 5000 at once and I'm barely healing out of it, or I've been getting hit by more powerful DoTs? I got to a boss where I seemed to be tanking well, then I got a big chunk taken out, and when I ran I could see my health bar vibrating from the heal/damage being almost equal, but there were no applied effects.
    -Is there anything you can do to effectively mitigate environmental damage? I've managed to dance through poison pits for a while but dang I'd love to be able to KNOW I can walk through an area if I'm properly kitted. Particularly those Aether areas. I went to a poison one with like 65% resist and it seemed to do exactly nothing.
    -Is there a way to see what SORT of damage bosses do? I wish I knew what resistance to stack against these bigguns. GrimCalc just gives stats on damage.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    -Is there anything you can do to effectively mitigate environmental damage? I've managed to dance through poison pits for a while but dang I'd love to be able to KNOW I can walk through an area if I'm properly kitted. Particularly those Aether areas. I went to a poison one with like 65% resist and it seemed to do exactly nothing.
    -Is there a way to see what SORT of damage bosses do? I wish I knew what resistance to stack against these bigguns. GrimCalc just gives stats on damage.

There's Aether Soul component for amulets and medallions that reduces damage from aether corruption by 6%. That's it. Other than that, you can only mitigate that damage by using invulnerability powers like Arcanist Mirror or Nightblade Blade Barrier or using healing powers and potions.

Bosses generally do fairly logical damage: if they spew fire, it's fire. Pink attacks are vitality or chaos, white stuff that freezes you is cold and so on. Given there's no combat log that's all you can go by. Even wiki only has attack names if anything for bosses, though "acid vomit" for example is probably fairly self-explanatory.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    DoTs can crit as of the latest build. Manticores are now 50000000% scarier.

Environmental Damage is not reduced by any resists whatsoever. However, there is a way to naturally avoid it--absurdly high DA will let you "dodge" all the incoming environmental damage. Yes, it's dumb, but it works.

But yeah in like the Conflagration you just have to run between safe spots fast enough and hopefully have a lot of constitution.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Added GrimCalc link to the OP.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Agh shoot, that environmental damage would be just like a fun test if I weren't in Hardcore but damn I can't see going into the Aether areas for a looooong time. That shit eats my health in like 3-4 bites.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Agh shoot, that environmental damage would be just like a fun test if I weren't in Hardcore but damn I can't see going into the Aether areas for a looooong time. That shit eats my health in like 3-4 bites.

Luckily the worst Aether areas (Conflagration and Immolation and a mine east of Blood Grove) are more or less optional, though I guess the smaller area with the boss in Gruesome Harvest is mandatory. I don't much care for them either but they do make for some tense moments, especially when you play a caster who can't face-tank stuff. All of my builds have had some sort of self-heal at least by the time I've had to walk over that stuff, I can imagine it's even more annoying if you just have to rely on natural healing and potions.

• Options

Luckily the worst Aether areas (Conflagration and Immolation and a mine east of Blood Grove) are more or less optional, though I guess the smaller area with the boss in Gruesome Harvest is mandatory. I don't much care for them either but they do make for some tense moments, especially when you play a caster who can't face-tank stuff. All of my builds have had some sort of self-heal at least by the time I've had to walk over that stuff, I can imagine it's even more annoying if you just have to rely on natural healing and potions.

Yeah I think my plan will be to farm up some materials so that I can have an even more heal-focused and health-focused set of armor and test it out on the tiny Aether bits to see if it's sufficiently protective. I do have the advantage of Mehnir's Will kicking in at 33% and healing me almost to full, but there's about 10 seconds where it can't kick in again and I need to make certain I'll actually last that long.

Do those areas actually involve combat within the Aether-scars? Or do you run through a big tunnel and come out the other side?

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    So, is it just me, or does Heart of the Wild not work? I took a point into it, I know it's an activate buff kind of ability because it has an energy reserve cost, but when I right-click on my hotbar to add it, it's not in the list.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited February 2016

Yeah I think my plan will be to farm up some materials so that I can have an even more heal-focused and health-focused set of armor and test it out on the tiny Aether bits to see if it's sufficiently protective. I do have the advantage of Mehnir's Will kicking in at 33% and healing me almost to full, but there's about 10 seconds where it can't kick in again and I need to make certain I'll actually last that long.

Do those areas actually involve combat within the Aether-scars? Or do you run through a big tunnel and come out the other side?

You are never supposed to stand on the stuff for long. You run through and find a spot that's clear of it, then heal to full there and then run again. In some places you need to fight in an area that's partly covered in aether but then you just need to pay attention to where you walk. There's some places where you probably need to use a potion if you have no heal/invulnerability powers but those parts usually don't have many enemies. And you usually can see on the mini-map far enough to see where you can go too. I think there's some dead ends where you aren't supposed to go at all, so just rushing forward and trusting that there'll be a safe spot might not be wise.

I've never died to aether ground effects or aether crystal attacks but I can imagine being a bit apprehensive about those areas when playing HC. I'm sure they are fully capable of killing somebody sooner or later if they don't pay attention.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    So, is it just me, or does Heart of the Wild not work? I took a point into it, I know it's an activate buff kind of ability because it has an energy reserve cost, but when I right-click on my hotbar to add it, it's not in the list.

Heart of the Wild buffs your Mogdrogen's Pact, it's not an ability of its own.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    been doing a ranged cadence witchblade that deals entirely chaos vitality and fire damage with 100% conversion to chaos and ele damage

explosins everywhere d0gs

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

That... makes complete sense. Awesome. Thank you for clearing that up. :)

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options

That... makes complete sense. Awesome. Thank you for clearing that up. :)

It's not immediately obvious, but skills in square boxes are active skills, and skills in circles are passive, they modify active skills.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Picked this game up this morning because I'm a sucker for ARPGs and I was bored, but I'm glad I did! This game is really fun, and has a great balance between new and old-school hack and slash games. I think I'm about level.... 15(?) or so. Any tips or pointers, or fun class combos to play? I haven't done a lot of tweaking of the character yet, so no crafting or augmenting, just leveling up and picking gear that kind of sort of fits the best and selling all the other junk.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Picked this game up this morning because I'm a sucker for ARPGs and I was bored, but I'm glad I did! This game is really fun, and has a great balance between new and old-school hack and slash games. I think I'm about level.... 15(?) or so. Any tips or pointers, or fun class combos to play? I haven't done a lot of tweaking of the character yet, so no crafting or augmenting, just leveling up and picking gear that kind of sort of fits the best and selling all the other junk.

any combination will own

just make sure u have some defensive shit by the late 30s early 40s or shit gets mad tedious

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

Explore everywhere if you are in no hurry - there's all sorts of chests and side quests and hidden rooms (often behind breakable walls) all over the world. Never sell any components since they are used to craft higher level versions and don't take much room.

Hmm... I'm scratching my head here trying to figure out tips but the game has very good UI and help, most of the basic stuff is fairly straightforward until you get into specific builds. You should augment at least your weapon ASAP because you can extract the component back once you save the apprentice and many of the weapon augments give a decent dps boost and an additional skill that scales as you level. I'm lvl 81 and I'm still using Dreeg's Infinite Gaze from a weapon augment. Crafting equipment on the other hand isn't that useful most of the time other than relics which do not drop at all and must be crafted. You'll need scrap for fixing various bridges so it's best not to waste it all on making armor or weapons. There's one bridge near the end that needs 40 scrap alone.

For class combinations there's tons of different builds out there. I'd imagine most of them work to some extent. My Warlock (Occultist/Arcanist) is kinda silly pet build that is probably a lot weaker than the default pet build with Shaman instead of Arcanist but I've managed to make it work all the way to Ultimate anyways. Speaking of Ultimate, there's a fairly drastic difficulty leap both times after you kill the end boss and switch to the next difficulty. All your upper row resistances drop by -25% when going to Elite, and in Ultimate the upper row drops by -50% and the lower row by -25% and you'll get butchered if your resists are bad. So when you are getting nearer to the end of your Normal or Veteran run around lvl 45-50 you should start paying more attention to defenses. Same thing near lvl 70 when you approach the end of Elite.

• Options

any combination will own

just make sure u have some defensive shit by the late 30s early 40s or shit gets mad tedious

Agreed. I've been focusing solely on demolitionist but around 30ish I've had to branch into soldier to get some defensive skills.

• Options
    for ref my current build is a nightblade/arcanist where ive just focused entirely on ele damage buffs and dual wielding, then use nothing but gear that has chance to proc fireballs lightning novas blast waves lightning strikes and magic damage procs in the tree, because you can connect procs to autoattack enhancing skills. because this combo has no autoattack replacer im using a troll relic that gives me a version of savagery. im a spellcaster who casts spells by hitting things. grim dawn is v flexible and any concept u want works

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    So I got to juuust before the end, but realized that with a Hardcore character, the Final Boss might be a thing I want to take on at like level 85. So I think I may just farm with this character for a while, see if I can get some good Set items or Legendaries. Don't feel like Rare is going to be sufficient for the absolute end of the game.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    So I got to juuust before the end, but realized that with a Hardcore character, the Final Boss might be a thing I want to take on at like level 85. So I think I may just farm with this character for a while, see if I can get some goo Set items or Legendaries. Don't feel like Rare is going to be sufficient for the absolute end of the game.

You don't hit 85 in normal. You're expected to finish normal/veteran around level 50-55, then finish Elite at 70-75, and then Ultimate is where you grind up to 85. Being careful is perfectly legitimate on a hardcore character, but the legendary drop rate in normal is minuscule compared to elite or ultimate.

Edit: Also well-rolled rares can be better than legendaries, if you get a good roll on two affixes that complement each other.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    So I got to juuust before the end, but realized that with a Hardcore character, the Final Boss might be a thing I want to take on at like level 85. So I think I may just farm with this character for a while, see if I can get some goo Set items or Legendaries. Don't feel like Rare is going to be sufficient for the absolute end of the game.

Just farm enough gear that your chaos, fire and acid resistances are high or capped and that you have a fair amount of hp, then go for it. The end boss is not ridiculously difficult on Normal.

• Options
    Speaking of farming, I've been trying to get Mistborn Talisman blueprint for a while now. It drops from the troll boss in Smuggler's Pass and so far I've gotten 250k xp and a few epics and a legendary but no blueprint. Pretty tedious especially since he is the only one that can drop it if wiki is correct. I'm starting to remember the exact number of every troll spawn on the way to him. *yawn*

I don't even want the damn Mistborn Talisman but it is a ingredient for a higher level relic. :(

• Options
    Oh that's good to know. One nice bit about being a Solider is that they get a nice passive resistance boost skill, so my fire/acid are like 80 without much in the way of gearing for it and I've found decent anti-chaos stuff.

If you get 100% resistance do you just literally not take any damage from that source?

• Options
    Oh that's good to know. One nice bit about being a Solider is that they get a nice passive resistance boost skill, so my fire/acid are like 80 without much in the way of gearing for it and I've found decent anti-chaos stuff.

If you get 100% resistance do you just literally not take any damage from that source?

80% is the cap. Some items raise that cap (I have 84% cap for all resists and 87% for acid/poison) but I doubt you can get to 100%, that'd be bad game design.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Apparently I bought this in December 2014? And now it's out! So now I have a game to play. Thanks for the present, past self! What a guy.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Alright! I'm level 52 and I'm at 80% fire/acid, I've got 7k health, my passive health regen is 220, and my shield is 66% block/1000 damage.

I'm gonna try this final boss run.

Edit: Got it! On to Elite.

Feeling decent about my build, though I did have a close call where I dropped precipitously during the recharge of my heal skill, and while the potions were still on cooldown.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Okay I think I did play this a tiny bit when I first bought it like 15 months ago. The graphics and gameplay are definitely hugely improved from what I remember and it seems like a lot of the mechanics/campaign are substantially more fleshed out.

Also Shaman wasn't a class yet and a lightning berserker is really all I've ever wanted.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Okay I think I did play this a tiny bit when I first bought it like 15 months ago. The graphics and gameplay are definitely hugely improved from what I remember and it seems like a lot of the mechanics/campaign are substantially more fleshed out.

Also Shaman wasn't a class yet and a lightning berserker is really all I've ever wanted.

Yeah I honestly couldn't get into it that much even 6 months ago, but I picked it up again this month since it's pretty much finished and I've finally got that addicted feeling. Makes me want a Titan Quest sequel for the atmosphere/story, but this is acceptable.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I have so far made something like 4 classes, and each is in the mid-teens to early 20s. I can't commit to a build! Super shoutout to @SutibunRi for dragging my ass around to level up my latest dude.
    1. My first guy was a primal strike druid (shaman/arcanist)... it was okay, but not really my jam
    2. Thought maybe i should do some melee business, so next I made a blademaster (soldier/nightblade), but I didn't like this playstyle at all. Lowest level guy right now, definitely least favorite
    3. Conjurer (Shaman/Occultist) was next, this dude is pretty strong but I'm not really a fan of just dropping totems and then reapplying curses. Probably second favorite so far
    4. Today I made a sorcerer (arcanist/demolitionist), started with magic missiles, respecced once I had some levels to the giant death lazor but it is so mana intensive and even stacking all the regen gear it takes many seconds to regen energy after depletion. Definitely the strongest single target but has really crummy aoe right now. I was able to take down some named boss thing like 8 levels higher than me by applying debuffs, popping my invuln cooldown, blasting him in the face for those 3 seconds and then running around waiting for cooldowns and energy to reset. I need to probably respec to drop a couple more points into demo for clearing trash and then use the beam for champs and heros.

As you can tell, I really dig on magic users. I think the arcanist and occultist have the best aesthetic by far, just need to get a good mix of survivability and damage, while keeping the build interesting to play but not filling every single skill bar with an active skill. There's a reason I play ARPGs and not RTS games.

• Options
    Played for two or so hours and yep this game has completely set up shop in my brain.

• Options
    [*] Today I made a sorcerer (arcanist/demolitionist), started with magic missiles, respecced once I had some levels to the giant death lazor but it is so mana intensive and even stacking all the regen gear it takes many seconds to regen energy after depletion. Definitely the strongest single target but has really crummy aoe right now. I was able to take down some named boss thing like 8 levels higher than me by applying debuffs, popping my invuln cooldown, blasting him in the face for those 3 seconds and then running around waiting for cooldowns and energy to reset. I need to probably respec to drop a couple more points into demo for clearing trash and then use the beam for champs and heros.
    [/list]

As you can tell, I really dig on magic users. I think the arcanist and occultist have the best aesthetic by far, just need to get a good mix of survivability and damage, while keeping the build interesting to play but not filling every single skill bar with an active skill. There's a reason I play ARPGs and not RTS games.

If you're using Aether Ray, check out Callidor's Tempest for AoE. They both scale off fire/aether so stacking those will buff both spells :+1:

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg