As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Fixer40000 wrote: »
    Speaking of hate!
    Here's the Lady that didn't get the job at Giant Bomb. I wonder why.
    Tumblr in action has kindly archived the post in question since it has suddenly dissapeared.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction/comments/29lq78/im_a_misandrist_that_means_i_hate_men_im_not_a/

That article was a very good read and an earnest, honest expression of how she feels about a situation. She doesn't couch it in pretty language there, but she is also pretty much dead on in that article, especially if you make it to the end. Considering it was specifically a post to her non-standard blog where she does not filter herself, it makes a lot of sense as a cathartic work to write. Videogames could use more voices like hers, though I do not know her specific body of work and her skill sets etc to say if she would have been a good hire for giantbomb.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I have a notepad full of stuff like that

It's private though

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Yeah, I am not sure of the wisdom of posting that article in a capacity that can be traced back to you, seeing how many people may react to it.

But she is saying good things in that article that need to be said at the same time.

• Options
    Fixer40000Fixer40000 Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah, I am not sure of the wisdom of posting that article in a capacity that can be traced back to you, seeing how many people may react to it.

But she is saying good things in that article that need to be said at the same time.

Good things...
    why do i have to answer the question “why do i hate men?” when men don’t even stop to ask why they have always hated women. i have to answer the question because men can’t tolerate for one second the sort of contempt they’ve had for women for thousands of years.

I'm going to leave this thread while it's still trapped in bizarro world.

Have left PA forums.
    If this community believes that hating someone based soley upon their gender is acceptable and understandable, I have no interest in being a part of it.
  • Options
    Maybe while you are not reading this thread you could read some history books instead. Or, to put it far less snarkily, yes, history has a misogynistic streak about a hundred miles wide. It is rather hard to miss.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Regardless of the good and bad in that blog post, I find it disturbing that there's a community on reddit that feels the need to find these sorts of posts and archive them for perpetuity.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Speaking of hate!
    [snip]

Samantha Allen never applied for the Giant Bomb job.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Speaking of hate!
    [snip]

Who's got time for facts when you're rallying the MRA Defense Force?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Fixer40000Fixer40000 Registered User regular
    The belief that she was applying for the job seems to stem from this little exchange:
    http://i.imgur.com/lh2zZWi.png

I'm more concerned about the people in the thread who are totally against bigotry and hatred unless it's the right kind of bigotry and hatred that they feel is justified.

Seriously, if this is the kind of shit that this forum thinks it acceptable. I am out of here.

Have left PA forums.
    If this community believes that hating someone based soley upon their gender is acceptable and understandable, I have no interest in being a part of it.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The belief that she was applying for the job seems to stem from this little exchange:
    http://i.imgur.com/lh2zZWi.png

I'm more concerned about the people in the thread who are totally against bigotry and hatred unless it's the right kind of bigotry and hatred that they feel is justified.

Seriously, if this is the kind of shit that this forum thinks it acceptable. I am out of here.

Okay bye

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Speaking of hate!
    [snip]

Who's got time for facts when you're rallying the MRA Defense Force?

Yea, for the record, Maddy Myers was the one who applied. Samantha Allen had the audacity to stand up for Myers when people started sending death threats.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I'm not sure what about that exchange makes you think she is saying she applied for the job.

And I'm not sure how you think we're fans of bigotry and hatred. I'm certainly not, but then I'm not a heavily oppressed class who has dealt with being shit on on the regular for my entire adult life, so I can't speak to the motivation that would drive a person to write a piece like that. I can say that I think that instead of asking "what kind of person writes something like this?" it's better to ask "what drives a person to feel like they need to write something like that?"

It's an interesting bit of personal insight, and I just find it hard to fault someone too heavily for railing against institutionalize discrimination, even if it's not a tact I would personally take. The desire to fight fire with fire is always tempting, and even more so when someone feels backed into a corner.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Speaking of hate!
    Tumblr in action has kindly archived the post in question since it has suddenly dissapeared.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction/comments/29lq78/im_a_misandrist_that_means_i_hate_men_im_not_a/

That article was a very good read and an earnest, honest expression of how she feels about a situation. She doesn't couch it in pretty language there, but she is also pretty much dead on in that article, especially if you make it to the end. Considering it was specifically a post to her non-standard blog where she does not filter herself, it makes a lot of sense as a cathartic work to write. Videogames could use more voices like hers, though I do not know her specific body of work and her skill sets etc to say if she would have been a good hire for giantbomb.

At least from my standpoint as a (male) expatriate living in the US, it's very hard to argue with her line of thought as a demonstration of a human condition that's inescapably day-to-day.

Though I have to admit, a thought occurred to me. Despite being comfortably bourgeois, I know enough people who could pen just a strong a case for the following: "I'm a proletarian. That means I hate the middle-class. I don't have a bumper sticker that says 'Eat the Rich'. My hatred of capitalism cannot be contained in a bumper sticker." And both myself and her (I haven't seen anything to suggest that she isn't comfortably within that class of 'privilege', though she did note her own friendship across class lines." I definitely couldn't argue the deck is stacked against those not born into monetary privilege any less than those born female--in that sense, it's quite clear that the question isn't, "Why do you envy/hate the well-off?" but "Why do the well-off hate the poor so much to deny them every meaningful opportunity?" Because according to that argument, that I've heard time and time again, they absolutely do and saying they don't is delusional.

It's just most of them don't actually have the luxury of having the spare time to blog, and even if they did, no one listens to the poor. Versus me posting to this thread in my $35K/year job (comfortably above my state's median household income for my age bracket) and her posting on her popular blog. It doesn't erode her argument at all, it exists in parallel not opposition, but that's what came to mind for me. Honestly, she's probably already considered economic disparity at least once in the past.

Also, I became obsessed with the use of the lowercase 'i', but that's just me being anal.

• Options
    It's just people letting off steam on the internet

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

Are you talking about the misandry essay, or the rape and murder threats?

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I won't lie, I am dissapointed by these news, specially as I do think that the Giantbomb guys, and the industry in general are making efforts to be more inclusive and present more diverse viewpoints.

I'm positive the decision didn't come down to "Lets hire more white guys!" but they had a great opportunity to expose a wide audience to some diversity. I mean, I hate to say it, but I'm lazy about seeking out new content/writers. I'm not familiar with many women game journalist or bloggers simply because they are not often presented in the media I consume. I doubt I'm the only one, and Giantbomb could have really done something about this. RebelFM and Polygon have both been really good about changing this lately though, and it would have been great to have to GB do the same.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Speaking of hate!

I feel sad the world, having looked around that reddit. Jesus.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I tend to agree with the assumption that with what GB was looking for specifically (especially in terms of Dan's job), they needed to go with someone highly qualified, and I'm honestly not aware of many (if any) women in the industry now that have the kind of length and breadth of experience Dan does.

Does this speak to institutional issues which have kept women out of the industry in the past? Definitely. But they're hiring someone in 2014 and presumably wanted someone with a lot of experience while we're just finally starting to come around on making an effort to get more diverse voices in the industry, and it seems like he was the best choice.

Hopefully, as we make additional strides in favor of more female and minority voices in this field, we'll see more people who stick around and have the kind of experience Dan does, while also bringing new experiences and background to the table next time GB (or other sites) need someone.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Late to the party, but

*shrug* She says she didn't apply to the job, so I mean...I'm inclined to believe her.

And her blog post does clarify what she meant beyond the shocking headline: she hates the position men have in society, And why wouldn't she?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

Are you talking about the misandry essay, or the rape and murder threats?

I do believe it's a bunch of miserable people trying to spread misery, but this time I'm talking about the person who is apparently unrelated to the hiring issue

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So the first Quick Look with Dan is pretty great, even if I still find his voice super grating.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to get used to Dan and Jason's voices, cause neither of them have very pleasant ones.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    If you can get used to Patrick's voice, you can get used to anything.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    If you can get used to Patrick's voice, you can get used to anything.
    ya no kidding

I don't really know anything about Jason but you get used to Dan's voice pretty quick if you listen to the powerbombcast

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Late to the party, but

*shrug* She says she didn't apply to the job, so I mean...I'm inclined to believe her.

And her blog post does clarify what she meant beyond the shocking headline: she hates the position men have in society, And why wouldn't she?
    lol, you're 'inclined' to believe here, well how nice of you! the lady that actually applied is the girl she does her podcast with, it's pretty cut and dry.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I like Dan Ryckert

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think the new hires are fine. The video guy hasn't super impressed me or anything yet but I already liked Dan Rykert.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I think the new hires are fine. The video guy hasn't super impressed me or anything yet but I already liked Dan Rykert.

Drew wasn't super impressive out of the gate either (as a host/personality), but he's really stepped it up in the last year or so.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    patrick is a bro

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Drew wasn't super impressive out of the gate either (as a host/personality), but he's really stepped it up in the last year or so.
    How Dare you! Drew has always been the greatest!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »

The Drew that went to North Korea is not the same Drew that came back. *tinfoil*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Giant Bomb have been very gracious in accepting the criticism levied at them over the hiring, so that's a good thing. The rest of the internet...not so much.

There will be more openings in the future, and hopefully we'll see Giant Bomb taste the rainbow or whatever euphemism for diversity is appropriate here.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    People clicked on a Samantha Allen blob post and didn't expect it to be bombastic and over the top (and not short on amusing little hypocrisies)?

That's just Allen's writing style. She'd be a good roast comedian. Personally, I can't stand it, but that's just me. I'd much rather hear the same points made by women like Leigh Alexander, or Zoe Quinn, who I feel are better writers and better communicators. Doesn't mean I disagree with the message, just that I personally don't like the messenger or her style. It's a very "preach to the choir, burn the congregation" sort of writing style, which has never been a favorite of mine.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    I just find it funny that people were overlooked for being under qualified. This is video games journalism we are talking about here.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Jeff lays down some real rap.

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »

Jeff is so much better at apologies/damage control/state of the website stuff than Mike Krahulik.

• Options
    That's funny cause PA is great at diversity hires

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Jeff is so much better at apologies/damage control/state of the website stuff than Mike Krahulik.

In other breaking news water? Wet. Sun? Bright.
    Although in Mike's defense he owned up to that, called himself on his bullshit and flat out stated it's something about himself that he wants to change.

Also I don't think he was commenting on PA hires, Paladin. He was commenting on Mike's reactions to Things in the past which has been fairly abysmal. But again he very publicly owned up that that.

• Options

Although in Mike's defense he owned up to that, called himself on his bullshit and flat out stated it's something about himself that he wants to change.

Also I don't think he was commenting on PA hires, Paladin. He was commenting on Mike's reactions to Things in the past which has been fairly abysmal. But again he very publicly owned up that that.

Yes, it was a cheap dig. And yes, he eventually got to a good and decent response, he just took the scenic route to get there.

• Options

no I mean it is actually funny to me in a cosmic sense.

This discussion has been closed.