As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Jeff lays down some real rap.

Jeff is so much better at apologies/damage control/state of the website stuff than Mike Krahulik.

In other breaking news water? Wet. Sun? Bright.
    Although in Mike's defense he owned up to that, called himself on his bullshit and flat out stated it's something about himself that he wants to change.

Also I don't think he was commenting on PA hires, Paladin. He was commenting on Mike's reactions to Things in the past which has been fairly abysmal. But again he very publicly owned up that that.

no I mean it is actually funny to me in a cosmic sense.

Ah

I think I'm just on "stupid internet bullshit" overload right now

Like this entire kerfuffle has left me with a vague desire to make The Internet take a time out

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I don't see the two things as equatable, really.

In Gabe's case, he acted like a complete shithead on a myriad of occasions and ostensibly had drilled into his head that it wasn't acceptable behavior so he finally "shit, okay, I should try and stop this."

In Jeff's case, a bunch of other people acted like complete shitheads and Jeff just came out and went "Hey, those guys aren't cool and they don't represent us."

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    A simularity between yesterday's GB kerfuffle and PA's past kerfuffles is the reddit/4chan idiot squads popping up and claiming to be on a side and stirring up shit to make it worse.

Opty on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    A weird simularity between yesterday's GB kerfuffle and PA's past kerfuffles is the reddit/4chan idiot squads popping up and claiming to be on a side and stirring up shit to make it worse.

That's what they do. I remember a review I posted a few months ago where I pointed out some incredibly racist and otherwise insensitive parts of the game, which lead to a number of 4chan users coming over to the site and leaving somewhat nasty comments. Typical SJW type bullshit, but I feel like the only reason it wasn't much worse was because it was a small site, and I'm a white male.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Thanks Ryan Davis

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    :'(

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

Jeff is so much better at apologies/damage control/state of the website stuff than Mike Krahulik.
    Except Jeff isn't apologizing for his own idiotic comments like Mike has to do

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

Well for one, Jeff didn't do or say any of the things Mike did, at least not publicly. And when it came time to make a statement, Jeff didn't really make the blog post about himself and what he'd done, but about the people who were hurt and what he could do for them.

But yes, also, I saw you posted it was a cheap dig. In a better world, we could all try to be a little more like Jeff Gerstmann.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Well for one, Jeff didn't do or say any of the things Mike did, at least not publicly. And when it came time to make a statement, Jeff didn't really make the blog post about himself and what he'd done, but about the people who were hurt and what he could do for them.

But yes, also, I saw you posted it was a cheap dig. In a better world, we could all try to be a little more like Jeff Gerstmann.

And in the perfect world, we could all try to be a little more like Ryan Davis.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I have been watching the Ryan/Patrick Chrono Trigger Endurance Run with my bros. Today might be hard to get away from work, but I really want to do an episode today.

Ryan's Twitter tweeted a touching thing on his birthday; I was going to embed it with an ER story but it felt unfair to inflict sudden sadness. Miss that guy. :(

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Well it's been a year, time to change the title? Any suggestions?

"Giant Bomb Thread: White Guys" ?

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Where Hiphop Lives is the winner, by far.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    She has valid concerns, but she's terribly caustic (mostly justified it seems) and I just don't particularly like her reviews or opinion pieces from a writing space. She's like a mean version of Zoe.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It has already been a year since Ryan's passing. The site is in memorial mode today.

• Options
    Alex and Vinny just finished their Contra Endurance Run.

Next up, Freedom Stream from SF.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I'd never seen Ryan in this, and Dong Dong Never Die looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kZQhZbJevM

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Love that bootleg KOF '98 intro.

And that bootleg Street Fighter 4 select theme.

And that bootleg Mario.

And that bootleg Optimus Prime.

And that bootleg Terminator 2.

And that bootleg... everything.

It's like all of Chinese bootlegism condensed into one game.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Man, I still don't understand how I can miss a dude that I never met or corresponded with in any way. These retrospective videos are really getting to me. I think that is a gigantic testament to who he was as a person: he made everyone feel like he was their best friend, effortlessly. Everyone who met him said the same thing, and you could sense that even on the Bombcast. Just, man....

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I was actually wondering what the hells was going on, because it couldn't possibly have been a year since we lost him.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Patrick wrote a touching thing about this week. It's even heavier for him, unfortunately.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    God I was so confused what was going on at Giant Bomb until I read this thread. It's pretty tragic all around, but I am really pleased to have read Jeff's reaction as opposed to getting involved with another dispiriting and sad event on the internet. I don't think their hires are bad, but it is a shame they apparently couldn't find a well qualified woman or other minority for the position. At the same time, the guys they hired have tons of experience in the area of "Video reviews on the internet" and I'm sure were by far the best candidates for the job.

I think it's less about "Is Giantbomb only for straight white guys" and far more about the fact there just aren't as many women being encouraged into gaming and reviews. After all, just look at the disgusting way some women who dare write a review that doesn't conform to the expectations of many gamers like Carolyn Petit (GTA 5) or Danielle (Dragon's Crown).

Glad to see GB take a tougher stance, because some of the comment threads when Patrick dares to mention feminism can become outright disgusting.
    Man, I still don't understand how I can miss a dude that I never met or corresponded with in any way. These retrospective videos are really getting to me. I think that is a gigantic testament to who he was as a person: he made everyone feel like he was their best friend, effortlessly. Everyone who met him said the same thing, and you could sense that even on the Bombcast. Just, man....

It's not an unusual thing to care about people you like who you have never met. I was very upset by Ryan's passing, even if my total correspondence with him amounted to exchanging jokes about why he loved doing Kinect quick looks (something that has disappeared with Ryan sadly). I was very upset when Ryan died and I'm not ashamed to admit I cried.

Just like I am not ashamed to admit that when HR. Giger died I spent a good while crying and being extremely upset about it, given the ways his works inspired my own writing and thinking about horror. I've (unfortunately) never met him either.

And I'll be pretty blunt, Giantbomb really hasn't seemed like the same site ever since and I've been following them less and less lately.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/velvet-sundown-live-premium/2300-9256/

If Vinny made a weekly series with this game, I would tune into every single episode. I literally laughed myself to tears by the end.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    dans egg white story on this weeks podcast was some next level hilarity. it almost made up for his ludicrous statements earlier in the podcast re terminator 3. almost.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was kind of with him on Terminator 2 - but when he tried to rank T3 higher than T1 I just couldn't support that nonsense.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Jeff is now the second person I've met who isn't big on Terminator 2 (the first being my brother)

Fuckin' world has gone crazy.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    terminator 2 was the first R rated movie i ever saw in a theater. i was 11. obviously it holds a special place in my heart.

but irregardless of ones opinions towards terminator 2 i think the we can all agree on terminator 3 being hot garbage (with that one cool scene with the fire engine).

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Brad commandeering the hosting seat was great.

And Dan may be the dumbest human being on the planet. I mean, shit, I like the guy. He seems super cool and all, but everything he says is just wrong. his commitment to wrongness is incredible and vaguely admirable.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    And for the record, I mean "dumbest human being on the planet" in the most endearing way possible. Egg shell story and all.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    He just seems like someone who lives in a vacuum or something - some of the stuff he's never tried or heard about is a little mind blowing.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    EAT THE MAYONNAISE!

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Actually I kinda like Terminator 3 you guys. It ends in a real interesting way :\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I find Dan Ryckert's idiocy somewhat less hilarious on the account that he's an animal abuser.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    I find Dan Ryckert's idiocy somewhat less hilarious on the account that he's an animal abuser.

wtf?

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Actually I kinda like Terminator 3 you guys. It ends in a real interesting way :\

There are some beautiful shots in that ending, and the rest of the movie is a fun ride. Nothing as iconic or stylish as the previous movies, but I have a soft spot for it.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »

What's all this now?

• Options
    Yeah...animal abuser whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

• Options
    Yeah, quantify that statement, reVerse!

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Woah. Well, setting that aside for now, it's a bit funny how much his being from the midwest (and being a bit of a weirdo) is contributing to illustrating an alternate viewpoint. As much hoopla there was about another white man getting hired and not providing "alternate" viewpoints, his particular form of craziness ironically probably yields more difference than yet another affluent Californian.

Darlan on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I feel like what we've learned of Dan would make a great political and smear campaign.

"I'm a simple man who wants meat waffles in every kitchen and meat bingo in every bar."

"That's what he says, but do we really want a man in office who doesn't know what mayonnaise tastes like or thinks that terminator 3 is better than the first one?"

EDIT: Wait Dan's a what!?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
This discussion has been closed.