Options

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I never meant that Giant Bomb was being malicious with their hiring practices. It's just that even at the best of times, with the best people in the industry hiring, mentioning they'd like a bit of diversity in their new hires, they still had their choice of white dudes from a pool of white dudes. It's a symptom of the industry at large.

Like yeah, maybe you can say the reason why white dudes keep getting hired is because they're the "best for the job" but why do you think that is? How is it that no other kind of person seems to have the same role that these white dudes can sort of fall into? You can only "be the best/most qualified" by having some experience, but what happens when no one gives you any?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I get what you're saying but so? I'd rather they hire who they feel are the best since I have no problem believing white guys all can have different interests, personalities, backgrounds, and opinions. In fact, I bet most of us are white guys right now and we all have different opinions on this, right now!

Also at the end of the day GB is a super personality driven website, very very very different from most other game sites, and they need to hire people with the right personalities. Say what you want about Dan but I think he's going to mesh suuuuuper well with Jeff and it should provide some great content.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Oh please, I wasn't being obtuse and it's crazy that geth is 'investigating' my post. I'm not allowed to express my opinion that just because they are all white males they could come from completely different backgrounds and not have similarities? Ryan is completely different from Patrick, I'm not really too worried that they hired Dan to replace him since he's got a totally different personality than all of them and is going to bring something completely fresh to the table and I think it's crazy to say stuff like "eh it's ok but man i wish it was a woman!". I think the dudes at GB have shown for years now that they are pretty competent at what they are doing and Jeff is on record as saying they are going to be hiring more people.

edit:
    Maddoc wrote: »
    People talk about their ideal hires they would like to see, but they totally ignore the fact that many of those people have zero editorial experience. I like Zoe Quinn a lot, but she does not have the qualifications and experience they are looking for.

Chances are if GB is going to be involved in any capacity with giving new people a chance to break in, it won't be with a full time staff position, it will be with them eventually acquiring a freelance budget of some kind.
    didn't notice this before I posted but yet, exactly! It's not about white privilege, or maybe it was 20 years ago when all the people got jobs, it's right now about who can do a good job.

More strawmen, yay.

No, no one said they don't have different personalities and backgrounds. This is a thing you've made up to argue against.

What I said is that a diverse cast of personalities leads to more diverse opinions and takes on issues that just aren't going to be there if the entire staff consists of straight white males. This is a simple fact. A gay muslim dude who grew up in Egypt is going to have a vastly different take on many issues that the "typical" white male game journalist has (even the ones who actively delve into these issues, like Patrick). These kinds of things are extremely interesting to me. For example, my favorite episode of Bombin' The AM was when Patrick had Rami Ismail from Vlambeer Studios on. The guy's culture and background gives him insight to a lot of things that are totally fascinating, but would typically fly totally under the radar in games journalism. Patrick does a great job of bringing these kinds of voices to light as guests. I don't think it's "ridiculous" or "crazy" to say that yes, it would be a net positive for GB to have some voices like this on the regular.

Now, because apparently I need to reiterate it on every post or people start thinking I'm "crazy," no, I'm not bashing their hires. They probably fit the holes they needed to fill and no one should fault GB for that. They know what they need from an operational standpoint and we don't. And yes, I get they were probably in a relative "crisis mode" with regards to their staffing needs after losing so many people recently, so it all makes perfect sense. I'm just saying it'll be cool when they diversify themselves a bit, because it's probably good to aim for having a more diverse on-air cast than Fox News.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It's not a straw man to say White Males can be diverse, just as a fyi

edit - I guess I should make this not a terrible post: No matter who they hired I was excited for new faces and since I happen to already like Dan due to his dumb wrastling likes I'm super excited for some fresh content from these guys.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    It's not a straw man to say White Males can be diverse, just as a fyi

You keep ignoring what I'm actually saying. Yes, you and I are probably very different people with different opinions (assuming you're a white male, like me).

The thing is, having differing opinions and personalities is not the same thing as diversity. Neither of us can speak to what it's like to be a gay gamer playing games predominately focused on the straight male sex drive, or what it's like being a person of color in a world where people that look like us are usually the moving targets rather than the protagonists. Sure, we can talk about it, and make assumptions, but we don't come from that background. We can't offer the same sort of insight as those people can, just to give you a couple of scenarios.

• Options
    edit - I guess I should make this not a terrible post: No matter who they hired I was excited for new faces and since I happen to already like Dan due to his dumb wrastling likes I'm super excited for some fresh content from these guys.

And this much I totally agree with! He'll be fucking rad, I'm sure. And Jeff could use a new Costello to his Abbott, so I think it's a great hire. Absolutely not disputing that much.

• Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    I was really hoping for Zoe Quinn, she was great at e3 and on Bombing in the AM.

I genuinely adore Zoe as a personality, as a writer, and as a game maker. That being said, do you genuinely think she would have put out the same energy, humor, and presence in Unprofessional Fridays, group quick looks, and the Bombcast?

My thought on the potential hires was basically this. Take something like the Dead Island TNT and mentally sit who you wanted with the rest of them just going by what you know of them, and how well do you think they would fit in that situation? Cara would probably have been great, but she isn't even living on the US is she?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    People are acting like these new hires being two white males means that GB is going to stop fighting to equality and justice in the industry and that shit is ridiculous. Is it a little disappointing that the new hires are another two white men? Yeah a little, but get a grip.

No. Literally no one here is acting like that.

I...never said anyone here was....

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Oh please, I wasn't being obtuse and it's crazy that geth is 'investigating' my post. I'm not allowed to express my opinion that just because they are all white males they could come from completely different backgrounds and not have similarities? Ryan is completely different from Patrick, I'm not really too worried that they hired Dan to replace him since he's got a totally different personality than all of them and is going to bring something completely fresh to the table and I think it's crazy to say stuff like "eh it's ok but man i wish it was a woman!". I think the dudes at GB have shown for years now that they are pretty competent at what they are doing and Jeff is on record as saying they are going to be hiring more people.

edit:
    People talk about their ideal hires they would like to see, but they totally ignore the fact that many of those people have zero editorial experience. I like Zoe Quinn a lot, but she does not have the qualifications and experience they are looking for.

Chances are if GB is going to be involved in any capacity with giving new people a chance to break in, it won't be with a full time staff position, it will be with them eventually acquiring a freelance budget of some kind.
    didn't notice this before I posted but yet, exactly! It's not about white privilege, or maybe it was 20 years ago when all the people got jobs, it's right now about who can do a good job.

More strawmen, yay.

No, no one said they don't have different personalities and backgrounds. This is a thing you've made up to argue against.

What I said is that a diverse cast of personalities leads to more diverse opinions and takes on issues that just aren't going to be there if the entire staff consists of straight white males. This is a simple fact. A gay muslim dude who grew up in Egypt is going to have a vastly different take on many issues that the "typical" white male game journalist has (even the ones who actively delve into these issues, like Patrick). These kinds of things are extremely interesting to me. For example, my favorite episode of Bombin' The AM was when Patrick had Rami Ismail from Vlambeer Studios on. The guy's culture and background gives him insight to a lot of things that are totally fascinating, but would typically fly totally under the radar in games journalism. Patrick does a great job of bringing these kinds of voices to light as guests. I don't think it's "ridiculous" or "crazy" to say that yes, it would be a net positive for GB to have some voices like this on the regular.

Now, because apparently I need to reiterate it on every post or people start thinking I'm "crazy," no, I'm not bashing their hires. They probably fit the holes they needed to fill and no one should fault GB for that. They know what they need from an operational standpoint and we don't. And yes, I get they were probably in a relative "crisis mode" with regards to their staffing needs after losing so many people recently, so it all makes perfect sense. I'm just saying it'll be cool when they diversify themselves a bit, because it's probably good to aim for having a more diverse on-air cast than Fox News.

Wouldn't a woman hire make them exactly as diverse?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    As diverse a cast as Fox News? Sooooo is everyone forgetting about Alexis? A huge tech guy, a pretty regular figure in front of the camera, and if I remember correctly, a fine young Dominican gentleman. The hyperbole is getting pretty hot and heavy from both sides all up in here.

• Options
    Aoi wrote: »
    As diverse a cast as Fox News? Sooooo is everyone forgetting about Alexis? A huge tech guy, a pretty regular figure in front of the camera, and if I remember correctly, a fine young Dominican gentleman. The hyperbole is getting pretty hot and heavy from both sides all up in here.
    he doesn't work for giantbomb so?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

He works on the engineering team that works for the Giant Bomb and Gamespot groups. Are you really arguing corporate workgroup subdivisions now? You're acting like a rabid dog just snapping at everyone at this point. :/

• Options
    Psst.

Alexis is Puerto Rican.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2014

He works on the engineering team that works for the Giant Bomb and Gamespot groups. Are you really arguing corporate workgroup subdivisions now? You're acting like a rabid dog just snapping at everyone at this point. :/

lol, who's snapping?

He works for CBSi and is not a GiantBomb personality (he's an engineer who happens to be on camera occasionally due to past history with whiskey). He has no editorial voice at GB.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I never meant that Giant Bomb was being malicious with their hiring practices. It's just that even at the best of times, with the best people in the industry hiring, mentioning they'd like a bit of diversity in their new hires, they still had their choice of white dudes from a pool of white dudes. It's a symptom of the industry at large.

Like yeah, maybe you can say the reason why white dudes keep getting hired is because they're the "best for the job" but why do you think that is? How is it that no other kind of person seems to have the same role that these white dudes can sort of fall into? You can only "be the best/most qualified" by having some experience, but what happens when no one gives you any?

This is absolutely, 100% correct.

The inherent biases in the system over the past, what, twenty years has by and large cultivated a group of highly experienced games journalists who are by and large white dudes.

But,

Giant Bomb is in no way equipped to hire less experienced editors for any reason. They work with a fraction of the staff that literally every other publication has. They had one guy out on vacation last week, so they had to do Quick Looks with Drew running out of the QL room at the end to the control room to shut it off.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I was really hoping for Zoe Quinn, she was great at e3 and on Bombing in the AM.

I genuinely adore Zoe as a personality, as a writer, and as a game maker. That being said, do you genuinely think she would have put out the same energy, humor, and presence in Unprofessional Fridays, group quick looks, and the Bombcast?

Yes?

I think she would bring more of that than say, Brad or Drew do right now.

Zoe is an actual comedian.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Seriously. It's a minorly disappointing choice by a group of people I respect all around, as they had an opportunity to do something a little bit different by changing their setup to include perspectives that aren't very common in the industry. The GB crew is pretty solid in acknowledging the need for those views and trying to represent them within the confines of their website, and I trust they'll continue to do so, but it would have been really cool for them to go further in this particular instance. Their dynamic is fundamental to the site, but I find it hard to believe there aren't any women or other underrepresented people who can crack jokes and assess the industry the same way they do.

Basically, they're my favorite group of white dudes in gaming media, and will probably continue to be, but I'll be much more excited when that description no longer applies.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Seriously. It's a minorly disappointing choice by a group of people I respect all around, as they had an opportunity to do something a little bit different by changing their setup to include perspectives that aren't very common in the industry. The GB crew is pretty solid in acknowledging the need for those views and trying to represent them within the confines of their website, and I trust they'll continue to do so, but it would have been really cool for them to go further in this particular instance. Their dynamic is fundamental to the site, but I find it hard to believe there aren't any women or other underrepresented people who can crack jokes and assess the industry the same way they do.

Basically, they're my favorite group of white dudes in gaming media, and will probably continue to be, but I'll be much more excited when that description no longer applies.

None of us have any insight into their hiring process. For all we know their entire pool of qualified applicants ended up being white guys.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Then that's disappointing for its own reasons, and I'd suggest they should have made a greater effort to expand that pool or induce the holdouts into coming on board.

These people exist, and I'd like one of my favorite sites to include them more often. They might do that in the future. They didn't this time, for unknown reasons. Maybe they had 'good' reasons. I'm still disappointed with the outcome. That's about all I've got on it.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    You guys are also assuming that certain people didn't already have other plans in mind for their careers.

Maybe they offered it to <insert person here> and they said no.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options

Yes?

I think she would bring more of that than say, Brad or Drew do right now.

Zoe is an actual comedian.

She should show it more then? Because it certainly didn't show on the panel at E3, nor at the PAX panel she did with Patrick. She's a great, intelligent speaker, and an emotive as hell writer, but I've never seen or heard anything with her first hand that really shows she would fit in particularly well in that atmosphere on a day to day basis. Working with Patrick definitely, but that wasn't this.

Like I said though, Cara could have been great but the whole traveling the world writing about games thing and living in Scottland part made her not the best choice too.

And I swear Alexis said Dominican during a recent live stream. I stand corrected.

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »

edit:

More strawmen, yay.

Wouldn't a woman hire make them exactly as diverse?

1371044065809.jpg

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So wait... I want to make sure I understand what's happened here. Two white guys were hired for GB, and some folks were disappointed in that. Then, some GB fans went crazy and attacked those people on Twitter and such because of their views, and it got so bad that Jeff, Patrick, and Brad had to take to Twitter themselves to tell them to knock it off? And now Samantha Allen, Maddy Myers, and a handful of others are still getting death/rape threats and general hate?

Holy shit, internet. Come on.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP.

edit: Well there was also the implication from the victims of these threats that the GB crew were implicit in the threats because they didn't say anything as they happened.

Also, some 4chan and Reddit people flooded Twitter and GB with the threats.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Wait wtf?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Wait wtf?
    That it's a reach for you to imagine women getting death threats for this sort of thing (even though it happens all the time) might suggest that you should rethink some of your other opinions on this and related topics. One of the main reasons that some people in this thread have a different opinion from you might be that they are live to how often this stuff happens, how virulent it is, and what it means in a broader context.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It would've been a "wait wtf?" surprise if there weren't rape and death threats.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    It would've been a "wait wtf?" surprise if there weren't rape and death threats.

this is the saddest agree i've ever clicked on.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Wait wtf?
    That it's a reach for you to imagine women getting death threats for this sort of thing (even though it happens all the time) might suggest that you should rethink some of your other opinions on this and related topics. One of the main reasons that some people in this thread have a different opinion from you might be that they are live to how often this stuff happens, how virulent it is, and what it means in a broader context.
    Man what the fuck dude, what a shitty comment you just made to me.

Somehow because I like the two guys they hired and think that different white dudes from different backgrounds can have different opinions and was ok with the hire, especially since I already like Dan, somehow in your mind makes you believe I should rethink all of my opinions? If they hired a woman I would trust Jeff that he made the best choice for the job. I don't give two shits who they hired, I just don't mind that they happened to hire two more white guys if they are the best fit.

Of course it's shocking to me that people from the GB community are apparently attacking females who are disappointed with the hires, I don't really post much in the GB forums but it always seemed like a slightly more cultured place, apparently I was wrong and it's just as shitty as everywhere else.

It would be terrible if I wasn't shocked that horrible people are making death threats to women, I hope I'm always shocked every time this happens.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edit: Well there was also the implication from the victims of these threats that the GB crew were implicit in the threats because they didn't say anything as they happened.

that's illogical

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014

that's illogical
    The internet is often a very illogical place. Welcome!

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Granted, getting bombarded with rape and death threats for daring to speak on the internet does tend to put one in a slightly less rational frame of mind, so don't go holding any reaction against them.

• Options
    Ya also for all we know they didn't even know about what was happening until many hours later, especially if it mostly seemed to be happening on twitter. (twitter is sorta a terrible way to get a hold of people) They seem to have all come down on this pretty quick when they were made aware of it happening.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    the worst part is that a lot of the harassers responded to the GB guys saying that they were only attacking these women because they "attacked" GB. And I'm still a little floored that some people can't differentiate between "critique" and "attacks."

To say nothing of the fact that they also think the correct response to a supposed slight is a torrent of rape and murder threats.

• Options
    CarbonFire wrote: »

that's illogical
    The internet is often a very illogical place. Welcome!

Well I won't stand for it. Harumph!

• Options
    Yeah, for all the accusations of white knighting RedPillers and MRAs like to throw around, that's exactly what the GB dudes were complaining about. Jeff and co basically said "Hey, you need to stop being assholes 'in our name' because we are rational human beings, you shitheels"

steam_sig.png

• Options
    And I don't think that thought process is all that illogical: when people claim to speak on your behalf, it can't hurt to say "they don't speak for me or my company".

Especially since a lot of the victims being threatened were actually really more disappointed in the GB community because they are PART of the GB community and they want it to get better. Zoe Quinn, Jenn Frank, etc.

I'm of the mind to just burn it all down.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    And I don't think that thought process is all that illogical: when people claim to speak on your behalf, it can't hurt to say "they don't speak for me or my company".

Especially since a lot of the victims being threatened were actually really more disappointed in the GB community because they are PART of the GB community and they want it to get better. Zoe Quinn, Jenn Frank, etc.

I'm of the mind to just burn it all down.

In an uncontrolled vast communications network, it is better to assume people speak from no special authority unless immaculate proof is given. I could say that Tycho actually liked Duke Nukem Forever, but you wouldn't need a mod response to dismiss that notion, right?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    the worst part is that a lot of the harassers responded to the GB guys saying that they were only attacking these women because they "attacked" GB. And I'm still a little floored that some people can't differentiate between "critique" and "attacks."

To say nothing of the fact that they also think the correct response to a supposed slight is a torrent of rape and murder threats.
    Rape and death threats are ALWAYS the first place that MRAs go to when they are "attacked"

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Fixer40000Fixer40000 Registered User regular
    Speaking of hate!
    Here's the Lady that didn't get the job at Giant Bomb. I wonder why.
    Tumblr in action has kindly archived the post in question since it has suddenly dissapeared.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction/comments/29lq78/im_a_misandrist_that_means_i_hate_men_im_not_a/

Have left PA forums.
    If this community believes that hating someone based soley upon their gender is acceptable and understandable, I have no interest in being a part of it.
This discussion has been closed.