Options

Get a haircut, and get a real [Job Thread]

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    I appreciate for job postings when they put up a salary or a salary range, but when it's a range of 55,000 - 80,000 depending on experience, how the hell are we supposed to know what you consider experience? $25000 is a HUGE range.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    I appreciate for job postings when they put up a salary or a salary range, but when it's a range of 55,000 - 80,000 depending on experience, how the hell are we supposed to know what you consider experience? $25000 is a HUGE range.

They'll probably judge how much you merit based on the interview. And with that in mind, you have some numbers to use for negotiating, and can back it up by saying "I've done X, X, and X. I'm proficient in X, X, and X. Now give me 70,000."

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Negotiation plays a big part in it, but usually how the offer comes in if things are fair is they compare you to existing resources and fit you to that, then you have a reference salary.

i.e. if you seemed like a younger and slightly less experienced me then you'd make closer to my salary starting, while some juniors are coming in at 20k less. It wouldn't be decided where you fit in before interviews.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    So what exactly is the standard for applying to jobs beyond a few hours drive? I have given up on finding a job here in SC and have instead been applying to pretty much anywhere in the country I could work. I would like to think that given the ability for high quality video conferencing at least some of the interviews could be fine that way. But I have no idea. So does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

The worst part about looking for a new job is the waiting for me. I know these places are getting lots of applications and do not have time to inform every applicant they were not hired. But damn is it nerve wracking waiting.

Depends on the industry, but I don't see why initial phone interviews wouldn't suffice. Just be aware that your distance may hurt your chances (they can hire someone closer for cheaper) and that you might be expected to appear for an in-person interview beforehand and you'll need to set aside time and money to do that.

It won't necessarily hurt your chances. Relocation bonuses/expenses I believe are tax deductible and sometimes even subject to tax credits.

Or like my case, they will just expect you to move and deal with all that yourself. And you will. Cause you are broke., and the only way to get un-broke is to spend that money to secure that job.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Gilbert0 wrote: »

They'll probably judge how much you merit based on the interview. And with that in mind, you have some numbers to use for negotiating, and can back it up by saying "I've done X, X, and X. I'm proficient in X, X, and X. Now give me 70,000."

I'd still rather have a ridiculous range then nothing. I hate job postings that give you absolutely no indication of what they are going to offer you. It's one thing if you're considering switching jobs so you can take your time with searching, but when you don't have a job and really need to make every application count it drives you up a wall.

• Options
    The only thing worse than not giving a range is giving you a range and then an offer several thousand below that range and then saying it's because the company is a startup.

It was still a startup when you wrote that range, buddy. Not sure what you were thinking.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Whaaaaat I wish I knew that when I asked my current company and they outright refused!

Yep, if you pay for your own relo you can claim it as a deduction on your taxes.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    So what exactly is the standard for applying to jobs beyond a few hours drive? I have given up on finding a job here in SC and have instead been applying to pretty much anywhere in the country I could work. I would like to think that given the ability for high quality video conferencing at least some of the interviews could be fine that way. But I have no idea. So does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

The worst part about looking for a new job is the waiting for me. I know these places are getting lots of applications and do not have time to inform every applicant they were not hired. But damn is it nerve wracking waiting.

Depends on the industry, but I don't see why initial phone interviews wouldn't suffice. Just be aware that your distance may hurt your chances (they can hire someone closer for cheaper) and that you might be expected to appear for an in-person interview beforehand and you'll need to set aside time and money to do that.

It won't necessarily hurt your chances. Relocation bonuses/expenses I believe are tax deductible and sometimes even subject to tax credits.

Or like my case, they will just expect you to move and deal with all that yourself. And you will. Cause you are broke., and the only way to get un-broke is to spend that money to secure that job.

I have been looking at molecular biologist, biochemist, and genetics jobs. Since I have started looking farther abroad i have found several jobs I am perfectly qualified for. And several of them have specifically mentioned relocation money. I am definitely keeping an eye on cost of living as well. But anything is better then what I make now.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Whaaaaat I wish I knew that when I asked my current company and they outright refused!

Yep, if you pay for your own relo you can claim it as a deduction on your taxes.

what if you didn't earn enough to pay taxes that year, can I claim it on next years? also I'm in the UK and have no idea about the tax laws here.

... probably easier just to submit my expenses and remind the company that they promised to pay for my relocation.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I'm having a panic attack and they won't let me leave workuekajsdfkjaklsnaklhnflhk

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Having coffee and ice cream for airport breakfast because I can

Then tonight I just have to write my trip report and can call it a day, and hopefully leave early tomorrow to make up for traveling Sunday

I wish we could just do official flextime, it would make this a whole lot less nebulous

• Options
    A clear indication of my focus this week: My Apple mouse was suddenly moving upside down and backwards on screen. I thought it was because the battery was dying or I accidentally hit a shortcut or something.

After about five minutes, I realized I was holding it upside down.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I just came across patient Michael Knight

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i came in early to work and have been drinking coffee and programming.

i like it.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I spent my morning re-organizing my work contact list.

This is what happens when you wind down from 14 hour days where everything's on fire to.. nothing.

Also because I'm sync'ing a million and a half files.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Its the 50th anniversary of the march on washington tomorrow

DC is going to be full of tourists who will dedicate every fiber of their being to making my day as terrible as possible

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    tynic wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »

what if you didn't earn enough to pay taxes that year, can I claim it on next years? also I'm in the UK and have no idea about the tax laws here.

... probably easier just to submit my expenses and remind the company that they promised to pay for my relocation.

Should still keep track of all that, it looks like any expenses the company reimburses you for relocation get added to your taxable income for the year, but it seems if you meet some conditions then the first 8,000 pounds of reimbursed relocation expenses are tax free.
    I'm sorry. I like reading about tax laws :#

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Well, that makes sense. Shouldn't make much difference, it's just a thousand pounds or so, but it's a lot to me.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    To the gentleman in the elevator who works on my floor:

Your Darth Vader lunchbox, give it to me.

Yours truly,

Deedubs

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Kwoaru wrote: »

DC is going to be full of tourists who will dedicate every fiber of their being to making my day as terrible as possible

I expect my commute home tomorrow to be a nightmare

@Darth Waiter have you seen these?

Darth_Vader_and_Son.jpg

Peen on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I just love when a professor seems to think that I am their personal secretary and that I do not need to be here for the rest of the department.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    New schedule just came out.

Got lots of hours over the next few days.

Yay! Money!

Boo! Not playing video games!

Good thing I enjoy the work, since I don't enjoy working.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    New schedule just came out.

Got lots of hours over the next few days.

Yay! Money!

Boo! Not playing video games!

Good thing I enjoy the work, since I don't enjoy working.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. went from a permanent work site at 34 hours per week (only technically full time) to one at 45 hours per week.

Thankfully, I also enjoy the work.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    There's one shift I'm really dreading. Since I'll be working with the largest and most annoying inflatable. It's just me being lazy though, I can wrap a site in twenty minutes with the other large inflatable.

I'll be on the road in thirty, no big deal.

• Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    My second interview is in about an hour. I'm a little more dressed down than last time, but still going in with polo/dark jeans and dress shoes. Much more manageable in case we go outside again.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Last day of work was on Friday, it was nice! They had a pizza party (woooo, fired temps, I guess?) and it was quite tasty. Substitute teaching doesn't start up for a week or two, so I have a bit of time to focus just on grad school. I've been using the free hours to get ahead on assignments, so once the teaching does start up I shouldn't be scrambling.

Things are looking up!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Still no word or interview for the internal position I applied for a month ago.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I spent most of the day working at the main location for the business I work for setting up a new Epson 9890 they bought and it was so much fun. For the first time in over five years I'm actually doing at my job what I specialized in college to do. I've forgotten a lot of the more esoteric color management stuff, but troubleshooting paper profiles versus monitor calibration (or lack there of so I had to profile the monitor) versus original artwork while using not Epson paper but Epson paper settings and profiles was good times. I have to head back tomorrow to walk the people that will actually be using the printer how things work now versus the old printer, but that shouldn't take more than a couple of hours (I hope).

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    I can hear my boss throwing something at one the funder's repeatedly and now he's putting together a Polaroid camera while singing Hey Ya. Welp.

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

They gave us the option for unscheduled leave/telework tomorrow woooo!

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    To ensure proper conversion, please remove all images from your resume before uploading. To upload, use the Browse button below to navigate to the file on your computer. You can upload an HTML, Text, Rich Text Format (RTF), MS Word 97-2003 (.doc), or MS Word 2007 (.docx) document up to 500k in size. PLEASE NOTE: Resumes in MS Word 2010 (.docx) format are not compatible at this time.

I have decided that nonsense like this is secretly a test to see how well you will deal with outdated crumbling corporate infrastructure, and the first person to manage to fit their carefully crafted design portfolio into a 2003 .doc format wins the job

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Let me just upload this rendering in ASCII art

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
  • Options
    I applied for a few jobs in the states, but most of them had those auto application forms put together by some third party. How well do you think those dealt with someone educated outside the US. Go on, guess.

I'd be surprised if a real person even saw my résumé on those.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    You know you've been watching too much CSI when you see a busted laptop screen and the splash of dead pixels reminds you of blood splatter.

This one was hit so hard there's a 3 inch gash that looks like one of those quartz filled rocks.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    To ensure proper conversion, please remove all images from your resume before uploading. To upload, use the Browse button below to navigate to the file on your computer. You can upload an HTML, Text, Rich Text Format (RTF), MS Word 97-2003 (.doc), or MS Word 2007 (.docx) document up to 500k in size. PLEASE NOTE: Resumes in MS Word 2010 (.docx) format are not compatible at this time.

I have decided that nonsense like this is secretly a test to see how well you will deal with outdated crumbling corporate infrastructure, and the first person to manage to fit their carefully crafted design portfolio into a 2003 .doc format wins the job

Why can't we have a hacker group like Anonymous that just goes around secretly updating corporations to modern day computing standards?

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Molybdenum wrote: »

Are the 2007 and 2010 formats suddenly incompatible?

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    Upload it in HTML

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I wish everything would stop being on fire today please.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    <marquee>Upload it in HTML</marquee>

This discussion has been closed.