Options

Get a haircut, and get a real [Job Thread]

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Is AIR good for anything? Every time I have had it load, I knew I was about to have a slow, un-responsive experience. Could be incompetent people making the academic stuff I end up at though.

It was conceived as part of a technology suite to get Flash technology on fire in the enterprise space, back when Windows Forms and ActiveX were becoming painfully dated.

Air in and of itself is just a software packaging and distribution tool. The actual software was typically Flex, which was a pretty good but ultimate abandoned enterprise oriented flash framework.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I'm not sure I could handle being a teacher in Japan. Like I can handle the worst behaved middle school students while still getting through the lessons and I can break up fights with the best of them, but man. Japanese schools just seem so intense.

I'm only an assistant teacher, but it also depends on what grade you are teaching. Elementary (I wish I was an elementary school teacher, my current set up only has me teaching elementary once or twice a month) is like all fun and games. The three years of jr. high school ramp up from kind of serious business to really serious business. I have no experience teaching high school here personally but I understand it is pretty intense as college entrance exams are insanely serious business. And then college is a joke because once you are in you basically can't fail out and it is basically viewed as your break before your career consumes the rest of your life until retirement.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Everything I need to know about teaching in Japan I learned from watching Great Teacher Onizuka.

I would be fired within a week at best.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Everything I need to know about teaching in Japan I learned from watching Great Teacher Onizuka.

I would be fired within a week at best.

Just make sure to turn a blind eye to any angst filled students who may secretly be a giant robot pilot or the brooding fellow that can astral project out of his body to become a soul reaper that fights demons.

• Options
    Japan get with this century.

I do not need a guy showing up during work at my school office in mud caked boots because he changed the septic tank at my apartment complex and needs me to pay my share of it in cash, which I do not happen to have enough on me to do at the moment, meaning that my vice principal had to cover it, which means I now feel really silly and owe him money.

There are these things called bank accounts and you can magically draw money from them you know.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I just assume Japan is like every anime. Consequently, I do not plan to go to Japan out of fear of tentacle-monsters.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Japan get with this century.

I do not need a guy showing up during work at my school office in mud caked boots because he changed the septic tank at my apartment complex and needs me to pay my share of it in cash, which I do not happen to have enough on me to do at the moment, meaning that my vice principal had to cover it, which means I now feel really silly and owe him money.

There are these things called bank accounts and you can magically draw money from them you know.

Yeah, Japan somehow seems to exist both 50 years in the future and 50 years in the past at the same time. Like, they have robotic talking toilets, but also tons of full-service gas stations where the dudes working their all wear uniforms.

Also all cab doors open automatically, but the drivers wear hats and gloves.

Japan~

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I don't believe Japan really exists; if it did, that would mean my surreal fever dreams have some basis in reality.

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    I would like to visit Japan at some point.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i would expect nothing less from a culture with as many interactions with radiation as they have had

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    ~weeaboo~

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    @pooka

I bought a pair of these in Melbourne and wore them for two days straight at PAXAus, they are super comfy and currently on special.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i would expect nothing less from a culture with as many interactions with radiation as they have had

What a profoundly ignorant and crass thing to say, especially given that there are people whose lives here are still be affected by the destruction caused by the tohoku earthquake. Hell, my school only got its gym and pool back this month, before now my students had to bus long distances to practice anything that required either of those. One of my students (the one who said he was going to commit suicide yesterday) had to relocate to our area because of damage caused to his school and radiation concerns.

And really, as much as the internet likes to "other" Japan when you are honest about it Japan is a 1st world country and is far more similar to say, America, than it is different. Obviously there are some differences but at the end of the day there are far more similarities. People are ultimately people, and really aren't all that different no matter where you go.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    The best mic drops are ones about being a good human.

That was a great one.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Today I got in argument with someone because they didn't comprehend it's not in our area. You need to contact that area. No I don't know why your department no longer has that type of truck any more, but ours legally cannot go out of our area outside specific emergency requests and approval.

Invisible on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Recruiter is sure i'll get a second interview because I guess I got the take home screen back ahead of schedule.

Feelin pretty good.

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

What a profoundly ignorant and crass thing to say, especially given that there are people whose lives here are still be affected by the destruction caused by the tohoku earthquake. Hell, my school only got its gym and pool back this month, before now my students had to bus long distances to practice anything that required either of those. One of my students (the one who said he was going to commit suicide yesterday) had to relocate to our area because of damage caused to his school and radiation concerns.

And really, as much as the internet likes to "other" Japan when you are honest about it Japan is a 1st world country and is far more similar to say, America, than it is different. Obviously there are some differences but at the end of the day there are far more similarities. People are ultimately people, and really aren't all that different no matter where you go.

goddamn.

even this forum is guilty of doing the whole alienate/dehumanize japanese people thing

someone needed to say this

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    so, i picked up a cheap-ass Payless shoe ($34, the most expensive option i considered), then went to Ross and found a couple Doc Martens for 20 apiece. one is my size (Castel in black crushed velvet) and a classic 1460 a size up. and i was severely tempted by one a size below: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Martens-Dr-Regina-Black/dp/B002M35F7G

but heels a full/half size smaller for an 8-hour shift is probably a bad idea.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Did not get into the second round of interviews for the internal position. I wasn't really expecting it. But that rejection email still kind of hurt a little.

Have a meeting with the boss tomorrow to talk about the results of the interview and where my career is going. Or where I want it to go.

Should be interesting

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The mood at work has been really weird lately
    The higher ups have been doing a lot of debating over what to do with the smaller branches to cut expenditures, like mine here in Jackson; there's a definite chance that we'll be merged with another city or just sorta split up and scattered to the four winds

I can't say I'll be sad to hear I have to leave Mississippi, but whatever the answer is I just want to know soon so we can quit speculating

My division is having a big meeting and lunch on Friday and I'm pretty sure I know what we're gonna talk about

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I'm on vaaaaaacaaaatiiiooooon!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    SO, this might be obscure, but did anyone else work at Electronics Boutique/EBGames/Gamestop in the early 2000's when that bride of chucky sequel or whatever came out and the big hanging TV video did non-stop promos for it?

Because sometimes at work, in my head, I still hear that announcer guy saying "Starring Jennifer Tilly" in that really disgusting voice that makes me want to vomit.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    What better way to warm up for pax than a 2 day all day meeting?

Uuuuugh.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    One of our folks attending PAX with us is having some severe gastro intestinal issues and another has some family stuff going on.

If sickie is still down for the count today we may have to pull him. 1) because I don't want him making himself worse and 2) (and more importantly) I don't want him getting us or anyone else sick.

Let us hope that this is a mere 24 hour thing.

In other work related news, I just had an actual conversation about the My Little Pony and Doctor Who mashup and how to write about it properly.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I saw three bronies in Manchester the other day, they were sat waiting for a tram.

I could tell they were bronies because they had My Little Pony t-shirts on, and one had a rucksack that was in the shape on one of the ponies.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Some phone around here is ringing and it sounds exactly like those walls of light from Dishonored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn2M-MoWPPo

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I just dropped a pretty hefty slab on cake onto a lab book. Annoyingly it's a medical project lab book. They have all kinds of restrictions about what you can mark them with (only blue or black pen, no penciles or anything). I think I might have to cross through, initial and date the cake stain.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I just dropped a pretty hefty slab on cake onto a lab book. Annoyingly it's a medical project lab book. They have all kinds of restrictions about what you can mark them with (only blue or black pen, no penciles or anything). I think I might have to cross through, initial and date the cake stain.

Error in handling procedures, mistakes are delicious

08/27/13

MJ

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Error in handling procedures, mistakes are delicious

08/27/13

MJ

The cake is a lie.

8/27/13

MJ

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    So what exactly is the standard for applying to jobs beyond a few hours drive? I have given up on finding a job here in SC and have instead been applying to pretty much anywhere in the country I could work. I would like to think that given the ability for high quality video conferencing at least some of the interviews could be fine that way. But I have no idea. So does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

The worst part about looking for a new job is the waiting for me. I know these places are getting lots of applications and do not have time to inform every applicant they were not hired. But damn is it nerve wracking waiting.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    So what exactly is the standard for applying to jobs beyond a few hours drive? I have given up on finding a job here in SC and have instead been applying to pretty much anywhere in the country I could work. I would like to think that given the ability for high quality video conferencing at least some of the interviews could be fine that way. But I have no idea. So does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

The worst part about looking for a new job is the waiting for me. I know these places are getting lots of applications and do not have time to inform every applicant they were not hired. But damn is it nerve wracking waiting.

Depends on the industry, but I don't see why initial phone interviews wouldn't suffice. Just be aware that your distance may hurt your chances (they can hire someone closer for cheaper) and that you might be expected to appear for an in-person interview beforehand and you'll need to set aside time and money to do that.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    You can always try what this enterprising person did:

BSSHHLpCcAAKe4_.jpg

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

Depends on the industry, but I don't see why initial phone interviews wouldn't suffice. Just be aware that your distance may hurt your chances (they can hire someone closer for cheaper) and that you might be expected to appear for an in-person interview beforehand and you'll need to set aside time and money to do that.

Maybe do some research about the area before hand so you can say "I know how much it costs to live in the area" etc so you look like you're being serious about moving for work.

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    A for effort, F for execution.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I hate booking travel for guests. I really do.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I'd be too tempted to give people I don't like really shitty hotels.

godmode on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I'd be too tempted to give people I don't like really shitty hotels.

That would only backfire on us too for having ticked off guests complaining to us. We had one issue with a guest where I had to call the hotel to complain and the goal was to try to get a refund. Luckily the hotel manager was shocked about having rowdy guests in the hallway of a hotel that typically dealt with visiting business people.

I would have been really uncomfortable having to demand a refund from them if it came to that.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

It won't necessarily hurt your chances. Relocation bonuses/expenses I believe are tax deductible and sometimes even subject to tax credits.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Whaaaaat I wish I knew that when I asked my current company and they outright refused!

• Options
    But I strongly dislike my current company so it's not all too surprising.

This discussion has been closed.