As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get a haircut, and get a real [Job Thread]

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    first day of training, apparently much busier than usual. but post-game feedback, was told i'm "so patient, and helpful, a ray of sunshine." so hopefully when i really start fuckin' up, they can look back on it and trust that it's a phase, and i'll get there.

also, i didn't need black anything, just tasteful clothing and non-slip shoes. d'oh!

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I applied for a few jobs in the states, but most of them had those auto application forms put together by some third party. How well do you think those dealt with someone educated outside the US. Go on, guess.

I'd be surprised if a real person even saw my résumé on those.

I'm going to guess very well indeed.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    ... No PDF option?

there never is in the places where I've submitted my resume

at least I'm not using LaTeX for it anymore like a crazy person, so it hasn't been a problem for me personally
    jokes on me it'll turn out that's what tynic's resume is written using

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Its the 50th anniversary of the march on washington tomorrow

DC is going to be full of tourists who will dedicate every fiber of their being to making my day as terrible as possible

They gave us the option for unscheduled leave/telework tomorrow woooo!

I need to work where you work

I think my best chance of respite is the possibility of being sent down to richmond for a job

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    End wrote: »
    ... No PDF option?

at least I'm not using LaTeX for it anymore like a crazy person, so it hasn't been a problem for me personally

wh...

... what else would you use???

• Options
    I don't even own Word.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Plaintext. The lazy option

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    real beings use indesign

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

as someone who's been dealing with different unicode sets

there is no plaintext

• Options
    real beings use indesign

the most laborious of options

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

as someone who's been dealing with different unicode sets

there is no plaintext

Sure there is, that just means no formatting beyond spaces/tabs, you can can have extended characters if you want

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    End wrote: »
    ... No PDF option?

wh...

... what else would you use???

the more strongly the feeling grew that was probably exactly what you used, the more I wanted to make that post

to be fair, I probably spent a lot less time trying to get my old LaTeX formatted resume looking right than when I used word

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    before I saw the indesign light I exported jpegs from illustrator and combined them into pdfs

indesign is not the most laborious of options

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    before I saw the indesign light I exported jpegs from illustrator and combined them into pdfs

indesign is not the most laborious of options
    damn. look at sisyphus over here

• Options
    that baffles me on at least three levels.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Just write me in PM or comment and I contact with You!
    We dont want any special, dont worry, but good if you like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R's universe. Your salary is the never ending glory in modding community!

8->

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Sometimes I can open my browser on the first try and then load a website and post things.

• Options
    Just write me in PM or comment and I contact with You!
    We dont want any special, dont worry, but good if you like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R's universe. Your salary is the never ending glory in modding community!

8->

that's the apotheosis of cheapskate.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Sometimes I can open my browser on the first try and then load a website and post things.

Shut the front door!

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    One of our folks attending PAX with us is having some severe gastro intestinal issues and another has some family stuff going on.

If sickie is still down for the count today we may have to pull him. 1) because I don't want him making himself worse and 2) (and more importantly) I don't want him getting us or anyone else sick.

Let us hope that this is a mere 24 hour thing.

In other work related news, I just had an actual conversation about the My Little Pony and Doctor Who mashup and how to write about it properly.
    I hope these aren't the interns we're going to haze, because my buddy needs to be serenaded by Pink songs!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    I responded to a craigslist ad 40 minutes ago. Amazingly, they wrote me back about 37 minutes ago saying "I'm here till 7, come in for an interview"
    It's 6:05! they're at least 20 minutes away I've never driven to that area and I would have no idea where to park. fffffuck

Oh, hi everyone my job up and fired me just last friday. "Restructuring" "Services no longer required" But we were short handed! I did not see this coming. I had only been there for just over a year now.
    Now I've got to pull my sad sack lazy ass up and start this job hunt again. Shitty.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options

Shut the front door!

I mean, I didn't want to brag or nothing.

but sometimes it just works!

Other times I open a blank document and spend half an hour wondering why the forums won't load.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Yay for being under paid, under staffed and under appreciated by everyone outside of your department.

woo i love doing IT for the primary schools~

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Just got my shot list for the next week and a half.

Aaaaaauuhhgghh this is waaaaayyy too much!

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options

Shut the front door!

I mean, I didn't want to brag or nothing.

but sometimes it just works!

Other times I open a blank document and spend half an hour wondering why the forums won't load.

hqdefault.jpg

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My wife is making me regret my choice of careers. She just sent me the 5 course + tapas tasting menu for the acute cardiac syndrome presentation she's at at one of our favorite restaurants. For lunch today the clinic she's doing her clinicals at had food catered, and yesterday they had barbeque.

To future job seekers. If you want to never have to take you own lunch, go into medicine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Bogey wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    One of our folks attending PAX with us is having some severe gastro intestinal issues and another has some family stuff going on.

If sickie is still down for the count today we may have to pull him. 1) because I don't want him making himself worse and 2) (and more importantly) I don't want him getting us or anyone else sick.

Let us hope that this is a mere 24 hour thing.

In other work related news, I just had an actual conversation about the My Little Pony and Doctor Who mashup and how to write about it properly.
    I hope these aren't the interns we're going to haze, because my buddy needs to be serenaded by Pink songs!

Only bringing one intern and you don't want to hear Pink...I promise.

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Fuck... my old boss screwed me out of vacation this year by sending me home early nearly every damn day.

At this rate, I won't get any vacation until January.

On the plus, my new boss is making sure I have plenty to do so that leaving early is not an option. He's had to get super creative with cleaning projects because if I'm not baking or serving customers, I'm making stuff shiny and clean.

• Options
    In conclusion to the Job Thread, I feel that I must post a closing remark:

NSFW:

NSFW again:

SFW but with innuendo:

NSFW but with mild profanity and extra creepy:

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    My wife is making me regret my choice of careers. She just sent me the 5 course + tapas tasting menu for the acute cardiac syndrome presentation she's at at one of our favorite restaurants. For lunch today the clinic she's doing her clinicals at had food catered, and yesterday they had barbeque.

To future job seekers. If you want to never have to take you own lunch get diabetes at 30, go into medicine.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I'm the computer contact for my library branch so I do all the minor tech stuff before elevating it. We just had a meeting with the other contacts and the main tech guy for the library system.

He said he might be able to replace our main printer that is a freaking pile of junk. I then asked if we could go office space on the old one.

He responded by saying he has the baseball bat in his trunk.

He's a good guy.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    This job. Sometimes I really dislike having a small team. The gossip is amazing. So is the downright cattiness.

Just. Ugh. We get it. You're upset that you didn't get the next step of the interview process. This does not mean you get to sit there and bitch about the people who did. Or wonder aloud why they got through and you didn't.

Be upset but don't bring the team idown with your negativity.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So, big mandatory staff meeting tomorrow afternoon/evening. They're taking us all to a restaurant for the meeting and then plying us with food.

Of course that makes people wonder/worry/speculate about what's going on that they need to bribe us with food.

So the first shoe dropped today. CEO sent out an email mid-afternoon about how the company has been looking for ways to save money (ohshit)and how they think that they've come up with the answer (yeeeeup saw that coming), so effective at some point there will likely be at least 14 redundancies created and a hiring freeze.

Nobody in my team has been made redundant, but the hiring freeze is going to hurt us a bit, we're already plenty short-staffed.

I just do not understand the concept of 'growing' a company by cutting jobs.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    They're going to switch to Geico.

Also they're going to ask you to go Dutch on that meal.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Ugh the senior process engineer took an unannounced sick day (we assume, no emails have been sent to us and the manager has gone to another site today) and over the course of the morning the work of the rest of us on the project has ground to a halt from him not being around to answer questions (that would take 2 mins to resolve in total). Plus of course he hadn't done any of the documentation he should have so we can't look it up anywhere.

...:|

Going to be a long boring day.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    Just got my shot list for the next week and a half.

Aaaaaauuhhgghh this is waaaaayyy too much!

Tequila straight up
    Alabama Slammer
    Boilermaker
    Kamikaze
    Mind Eraser
    Lemondrop

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hahaha. A student just sent an email saying he's going to the pub after work to the entire company. Well done, Billy. I'm sure that the US office would love to join you and will down tools now and head straight to the airport.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    On the topic of catered lunches, they do that a LOT here. Especially if there is an uppery-manager involved.
    I've seen them plan a catered morning meeting (with like a breakfast burrito buffet with all the fixins to make them yourself, and THAT meeting was to discuss what they wanted to talk about for the LUNCH meeting that day, and then they discussed who would be catering that one.

And they don't have money for raises.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    So, big mandatory staff meeting tomorrow afternoon/evening. They're taking us all to a restaurant for the meeting and then plying us with food.

Of course that makes people wonder/worry/speculate about what's going on that they need to bribe us with food.

So the first shoe dropped today. CEO sent out an email mid-afternoon about how the company has been looking for ways to save money (ohshit)and how they think that they've come up with the answer (yeeeeup saw that coming), so effective at some point there will likely be at least 14 redundancies created and a hiring freeze.

Nobody in my team has been made redundant, but the hiring freeze is going to hurt us a bit, we're already plenty short-staffed.

I just do not understand the concept of 'growing' a company by cutting jobs.

You're obviously not corporate material, Ahava!

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Get to work and my laptop blue screens just minutes after first boot of the day. Then, Lotus Notes gives me an error that won't let me into my calendar or folders without freezing up. Then our database throws a weird error at me, but seems to be working anyway (data is moving properly).

It is going to be a fun day today, I can just tell.

This discussion has been closed.