As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Saint's Row] Zoomer Retirement Financial Planner

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    I feel like the lighthearted stuff works a lot better when you have some serious material there to provide contrast.

Coming into the series at #3, I feel like Saints Row is best when it's nothing but big dumb bombastic fun. Which is why I'm excited about #4. Nothing I've seen so far indicates that they're expecting you to take any of it seriously.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm of the exact opposite mind, honestly. I feel that saints row is at it's best when it has a good balance. Sure. Give us out robot tanks and our dubstep guns. But give us something to balance that out.

You cant have highs without the lows. Well you can, but it doesn't make for very good highs. they just end up being "Meh"

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TunaheadTunahead Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    I'm hoping that they re-jigger the way that co-op mission progress applies to your character. I played pretty much all of SR3 with a friend and had an awesome time with it, but I guess the progress we made together didn't apply to his character, only to mine? Didn't really impact me but I think it put him off playing solo. It would be nice to be able to start two characters from scratch together, and have each character's story jump to match the co-op partners.

In Saints Row, you can co-op with anyone who's at any point in the game at any time. It might seem ideal to have two dudes start from the beginning and advance to the midway point of the plot, but what about the guy who was at the beginning and co-op'd with someone who was already at the midway point? You'd skip half the story and the unlockables would go all wonky. I doubt they'll change this. I believe collectibles and bought stores and clothes and items and garage'd cars and acquired experience and money and completed activities all carry over anyway.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    I feel like the lighthearted stuff works a lot better when you have some serious material there to provide contrast.

Coming into the series at #3, I feel like Saints Row is best when it's nothing but big dumb bombastic fun. Which is why I'm excited about #4. Nothing I've seen so far indicates that they're expecting you to take any of it seriously.

Yeah

I played Saints Row 1 and 2 and was not impressed by any of it, be it the gameplay or the tone

But I thought The Third was sublime

And apparently it was a huge hit so I'm glad they're doubling down on that approach

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Saints Row 3 and 4 seem to have the right idea. I'd hate to see them try to pull back on the tone for the fifth, let GTA have the drama. Going for absolute maximum open world gangster fantasy parody was the best decision Voliton probably could have made.

I don't want to become emotionally invested in any of these characters and I don't think I can. They're slimebags, if one of them dies in a cutscene, I actually feel relieved.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    About the ending of SRTT: I think the Boss is too much of a fanboy to let Burt Renyolds die. Just saying.

Mailman12089.jpg
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Has anyone made anything with the IS they feel like posting?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Saints Row 3 and 4 seem to have the right idea. I'd hate to see them try to pull back on the tone for the fifth, let GTA have the drama. Going for absolute maximum open world gangster fantasy parody was the best decision Voliton probably could have made.

I don't want to become emotionally invested in any of these characters and I don't think I can. They're slimebags, if one of them dies in a cutscene, I actually feel relieved.

The humor and violence is much more tongue and cheek. In Saints Row 2, it can get quite viscous. But the Saints who die in 2 don't really deserve it.
    Carlos is just a kid following after his brother. Aisha is just an innocent bystander who happens to be with Johnny Gat. Both of their deaths bring down a maelstrom of destruction in return.

• Options
    Okay, saying I would be relieved is probably a lil much but I stand by what I said on wanting things to stay abit more silly.

I never actually took notice of the series until SR3, I don't think it really started to stand out from the crowd to outsiders like myself until then.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Playing Saints Row 2 after The Third is actually pretty jarring. Most of the things that the boss did in TT made me think "Damn, that was awesome!".

In 2, they keep making me think "Holy shit, you're a sociopath."

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    Playing Saints Row 2 after The Third is actually pretty jarring. Most of the things that the boss did in TT made me think "Damn, that was awesome!".

He's definitely a sociopath but make him fat and throw a cockney accent on him and he's pretty great.

They did a good job of making him an actual character and funny. He's actually more of a badass than Gat now.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

He's definitely a sociopath but make him fat and throw a cockney accent on him and he's pretty great.

They did a good job of making him an actual character and funny. He's actually more of a badass than Gat now.

Because my Gat is DEEEAAAAADDDDD

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    On a related note, the boss repeatedly yelling at Pierce for his taste in music makes the duet in 3 even more magical :^:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Orca wrote: »

Because my Gat is DEEEAAAAADDDDD
    He's still alive for now in my playthrough of 2, thankfully.

Don't think I would be able to clean up all the dead hobo bodies without him.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The second-worst thing about Saints Row 3 is that Shaundi never shamelessly stole Pierce's ideas

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Pierce's heist plan was one of my favorite parts in 2.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Pierce was one of my favorite parts of 2.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Last night I played through the Julius side mission in SR2 for the first time. I think I agree with the folks saying that the silly benefits from being balanced alongside the serious. It makes those dramatic moments all the more impactful. One minute you're fighting off Ultor rentacops and merrily downing choppers, and then suddenly BAM!... serious biz. After that mission I just sat and stared at the screen for about 30 seconds, and all I could think was "that was intense."

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Saints Row 3 and 4 seem like Gremlins 2. They got tired of taking a stupid premise seriously and decided to poke fun at how absurd it is.

And I love it.

No I don't.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Did they take out Pierce changing the car radio stations to classical for 3? That was one of my favorite little moments in 2 and I can't remember if it happened at all in the next game.

I love Pierce, so Russian boss was a natural fit for me. It sucks she's gone.

• Options
    Has anyone made anything with the IS they feel like posting?

The IS is just refusing to run in a way that I can actually do anything with it on my laptop. I guess that hour I messed around with it the other day was a fluke. I'll have to wait for the PSN release next week. :(

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The humor and violence is much more tongue and cheek. In Saints Row 2, it can get quite viscous.

All that viscous violence.

• Options
    A question for those who use the Gentlemen of the row mod in Saints Row 2, is it possible to change the mod settings without having to start a new game?

I'm going to be honest with you, I found out they changed the locations of the collectibles and theres no way in hell I'm man enough to find them all without a guide. That might take me a month or two and I was hoping to move on to The Third sometime before then.

• Options
    About the ending of SRTT: I think the Boss is too much of a fanboy to let Burt Renyolds die. Just saying.

That's basically the explanation as to why they went with that as the canon ending.

• Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    A question for those who use the Gentlemen of the row mod in Saints Row 2, is it possible to change the mod settings without having to start a new game?

I'm going to be honest with you, I found out they changed the locations of the collectibles and theres no way in hell I'm man enough to find them all without a guide. That might take me a month or two and I was hoping to move on to The Third sometime before then.

GotR is built so that you can change any of the options in the installer at will and it will not affect your save. Feel free to experiment. Also, restoring the collectibles to their original vanilla locations is one of the options in the misc menu if you don't want the challenge.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    IdolNinja wrote: »

GotR is built so that you can change any of the options in the installer at will and it will not affect your save. Feel free to experiment. Also, restoring the collectibles to their original vanilla locations is one of the options in the misc menu if you don't want the challenge.
    Thanks, I noticed it says that in the readme aswell, probably should have just looked at that first. Sorry, I guess I was kind of in a hurry to get everything installed and glossed over it.

Really awesome work on the mod. Turning on some new options, Zombie gang FTW.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Achire wrote: »
    Pierce's heist plan was one of my favorite parts in 2.

You know that plan is an exact copy of the one CJ uses in GTA San Andreas? That's the best part of the joke.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    2QUYWU9.png

Heh

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

The humor and violence is much more tongue and cheek. In Saints Row 2, it can get quite viscous. But the Saints who die in 2 don't really deserve it.
    Carlos is just a kid following after his brother. Aisha is just an innocent bystander who happens to be with Johnny Gat. Both of their deaths bring down a maelstrom of destruction in return.

One of the things I liked best about SR2 was the sense of escalation. It felt very real, and like how gang violence really does spiral out of control in real life (even if the world setting and the actual events are not real life).

The boss is not an innocent party in any of this, he sets many of the events into motion that lead to tragedy, and then he reaps increasingly horrific revenge.

If I had played SR2 first I might not have played SR3 at all. But I didn't, I played the funny one first and then went back and was alternately shocked and impressed and horrified by what I saw. I do think SR2 was really well done, but it's totally not my normal cup of tea.

SR3 on the other hand had a perfect tone. You have
    Gat dying, and killing Loren in revenge. But then you don't kill Matt because? Because why? He's just some punk kid and he didn't kill Gat. In fact, the guy who killed Gat is dead. With Killbane there's no reason to go after him because he's already been defeated and humiliated. I get that in the original proposed script he nuked Stillwater and there was a real good reason to want him dead, but that didn't make it into the game - what did make it into the game was such that him slinking out of town in a jet was like "whatever".

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Okay, I was sorta on the fence about picking this up, I played and loved 2 but never did get into 3 much.

But the IS trailer sold me, simply with the "Epic Sax Guy" dance move the gi wearing dude does at 1 minute into it.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Saint's Row 1 was just an attempt to fill in a vacuum left by GTA when the 360 first released. Rockstar would not release GTA 4 for another two or so years, and THQ saw an opportunity to take advantage of that absence. I recall there being a lot of buzz about a next-gen sandbox crime game at the time, so I guess the gambit worked. In retrospect, the game wasn't that great as just a blatant GTA clone, but I heard that it did have superior combat compared to that of older GTA games.

So, fast forward to 2008, and Volition is stuck. With GTA 4 having been released, you cannot rest on the strength of being the only game in town, but THQ clearly wants a sequel because SR1 sold well enough to merit such. When it became obvious that GTA 4 was going to be a more serious drama about the criminal underworld, Volition got the idea to go the other way and treat the game like the weird sandbox it was.

The rest is history, although some argue that the game has gone a bit too zany to the point where nothing is grounded and it's just wacky for the sake of it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I remember hearing about the first SR and the thing that excited me most was being able to customize the main character. I always wondered why more games didn't do that. Unfortunately I didn't have an Xbox 360 at the time, so I didn't get to play it. When I finally did get one, SR2 was out, so I ended up getting that from Gamefly and completely devoured it. I did the same thing again when I got it for PC after building a new one in March of 2010. Still never did go back and play 1. I should probably track down a copy one of these days.

• Options
    I remember hearing about the first SR and the thing that excited me most was being able to customize the main character. I always wondered why more games didn't do that. Unfortunately I didn't have an Xbox 360 at the time, so I didn't get to play it. When I finally did get one, SR2 was out, so I ended up getting that from Gamefly and completely devoured it. I did the same thing again when I got it for PC after building a new one in March of 2010. Still never did go back and play 1. I should probably track down a copy one of these days.

I had never even heard of Saints Row until I happened upon a blog post by a gay blogger who was raving about this game with great character customization, Saints Row The Third. He posted a really funny video of him making his boss, who turned out to be a kind of a bearish dude who runs around in a thong.

I bought it just based on that, and fell in love with the franchise.

• Options
    dspimonidspimoni Registered User regular
    Regarding Johnny Gat in 3:
    His death was not dramatic, it was stupid. He died offscreen in a situation he's walked away from a million times. In Saints Row 2 he fights his way out of a courthouse swarming with police. In Saints Row 3 he gets shot by some Belgian douche. His death was only in the game as a shock, but it's lousy execution just kills any drama that could come from it.

That being said, I still enjoyed 3 as a fun, silly game. I just think it was a step backwards from 2.

• Options
    dspimoni wrote: »
    Regarding Johnny Gat in 3:
    His death was not dramatic, it was stupid. He died offscreen in a situation he's walked away from a million times. In Saints Row 2 he fights his way out of a courthouse swarming with police. In Saints Row 3 he gets shot by some Belgian douche. His death was only in the game as a shock, but it's lousy execution just kills any drama that could come from it.

That being said, I still enjoyed 3 as a fun, silly game. I just think it was a step backwards from 2.

Yeah, and the more SR3 spoilers
    THQ's meddling with Shaundi's character arc kept anything interesting from coming out of it.

I can't wait to see how SR4 plays out.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Saint's Row 1 was just an attempt to fill in a vacuum left by GTA when the 360 first released. Rockstar would not release GTA 4 for another two or so years, and THQ saw an opportunity to take advantage of that absence. I recall there being a lot of buzz about a next-gen sandbox crime game at the time, so I guess the gambit worked. In retrospect, the game wasn't that great as just a blatant GTA clone, but I heard that it did have superior combat compared to that of older GTA games.
    Man, SR1 has one of the best endings of any game ever.

Protagonist: "Yo, could you speed this shit up? I wanna go to Freckle Bitch's..."

<boat explodes, apparently killing everyone on it>

<credits roll>

Fuck yeah!

• Options
    The whole meddling with Shaundi's emotional arc makes so much sense in retrospect. She was stuck in angry mode. It's pretty clear from the trailers that she is going to get closure, and maybe ultimately become someone in between the Shandi we met in SR2 and the SR3 Shandi, which would be excellent.

That said, I appreciated the interplay between the boss and both Shaundi and Viola. I thought their snarky criticisms and put-downs were a good counterpoint to the boss, who is really an arrogant lunatic.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I've been trying to avoid Saint's Row 4 info as much as possible (probably can't afford it, want to wait for a sale, the details will make me crack, etc), but I just watched a video from Game Trailers and... holy shit. I mean, I knew it looked cool, but the mix of powers and gunplay with the traversal abilities... it's like Prototype and Advent Rising had a sexy fucking baby.

.... I may have to crack.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The whole meddling with Shaundi's emotional arc makes so much sense in retrospect. She was stuck in angry mode. It's pretty clear from the trailers that she is going to get closure, and maybe ultimately become someone in between the Shandi we met in SR2 and the SR3 Shandi, which would be excellent.

That said, I appreciated the interplay between the boss and both Shaundi and Viola. I thought their snarky criticisms and put-downs were a good counterpoint to the boss, who is really an arrogant lunatic.

I can see Boss now on the sidelines, "Will you just make out with yourself already?"

Viola was a really great homie, she felt like a character that fit in the universe. Rather than Tera Patrick who seemed like she was just phoning it in.
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I've been trying to avoid Saint's Row 4 info as much as possible (probably can't afford it, want to wait for a sale, the details will make me crack, etc), but I just watched a video from Game Trailers and... holy shit. I mean, I knew it looked cool, but the mix of powers and gunplay with the traversal abilities... it's like Prototype and Advent Rising had a sexy fucking baby.

.... I may have to crack.

Yay, someone else who played Advent Rising!

manwiththemachinegun on