As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets Kill Some Kerbals

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I think that unused building in the new space center is going to be a mission control

If you crash a ship into that building, you'll see that it's called mission control.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Makes me wonder "Mission Control" would actually be used for. Maybe for the oft promised career mode?

So since the patch hit I've launched a couple of missions to the new Mun surface, and I have to wonder if anyone has found any new easter eggs on it. I figure if they went through the trouble of updating the terrain they might go through the trouble of making a few new little surprises here and there.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    If you guys want to see something amazing watch this video. It is totally worth the time.

http://youtu.be/Tp6yj2k0Fpc

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    That tutorial that was linked earlier is much more informative than the one built into the game. I had been playing for about a week trying to just use the learning tools provided by the game itself, but I was failing miserably.

After viewing that tutorial and applying what I learned I am failing spectacularly.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Let's Send Some Junk To Laythe Part 2

DA67C3E3194C6D9784D259165FCDF8F2B7D9BB13

Here's a picture of our destination. all we need to do is get this entire planet and its moons over to that spot over there and we'll be set!

EE6FA3C693232EB099968C4AE7AF048A6D8824B3

No, really, I swear we're going the right way. We just need to bring the planet over here.

C58F44142B421EA5ADFAC86DBE4693D31FCC7392

Wait, if planets can give us some kind of boost is there a way to make them give us some kind of...un-boost?

30E4B18BC6072EF7C1CA93FCD9CDF68A8C66F6DC

Okay get real low and open up the windows. it's seriously starting to smell like farts in here.

DC6871F4FCE7C823D8ECE57A2ED021FB8E4F8F24

What are you talking about? we're in a control room. Back on Kerbin. flying an unmanned space what the fuck is that smell?

BED4E9F4218F9A7B3CA0472E56630013AF8798F2

Holy shit this looks neat

8257814D8F54540D7CC87D065B45DABC926139C9

Looks like dipping into the atmosphere slowed us down enough to circularize our orbit.

6A94F735B6AE1C2FBD9A26D97DE7E8697181B47A

alright, I know where we're landing this thing.

AD75B2539681A56BC3D204A6C2B7061915D33C13

WATCH OUT FOR THE GREEN THING

DFF8EECE8FDAAC52A7E734486960C8FDFF5DB8E8

probe sent us a message: Wish...you...were...what...the...fuck...is...that...smell

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Oh god, rescuing Jeb from the Mun is suddenly much harder than I thought. When I put Jeb on there, I could just land any old place, so long as I did it safely. But to rescue him, I have to intentionally land where he landed, which I don't think is easy!

Just managed to crash into a moon mountain at 640m/s because it was the dark side and I couldn't visually judge distance.

• Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Chatterer is the best mod. I could forego all other mods as long as I keep Chatterer.

Manishtushu on
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Mission to Mars Duna is a go!

Fresh off of the success of the Minmus missions, KASA needed something else to do. Luckily, Seansey and Macnand's One-Stop Gas Shoppe had expressed some interest in setting up another kethane station a little further out from home. Indeed, the money we saved on not bringing proper toilet facilities to Minmus was put towards sending a probe out to Duna to sniff out some of that green gold.

GHAqjfV.jpg

Rather fortuitously, the probe came in at a near-polar orbital trajectory. It didn't take much effort to get an optimal orbit and start scanning the planet.

8NQNqqI.jpg

Don't let this picture fool you; the planet is a veritable Kadberry egg of Kethane. Once S&M saw the preliminary telemetry, they forked over the cash for a proper expedition. Mission Control blew it all on a bitchin' new centrifuge though, so we're gonna have to improvise.

I'll bet you're thinking, "hey, couldn't they just copy the Minmus designs for the Duna station?" Well, no, and this is why you don't get to fly the rockets. While Minmus is a low-gravity dirtball right on our celestial doorstep, Duna's closer to Kerbin in size and mass, tens of thousands of times further away (on a good day!), and it's got a sparse atmosphere. We'll need big rockets to get anything that far, but we get to save on fuel by supplementing our descent stages with parachutes. Some minor re-tooling was needed, but the kethane harvester and converter units fit the job.

i5DFEWf.jpg

mGEqkR0.jpg

Here's the "habitation" module we'll be dropping on Duna. It's got a powerful communications array and all the creature comforts a Kerbal could ever want: parachutes and a dark place in which to hide.

ZLv55OY.jpg

Here's the basic setup for just about every ascent stage I use. Six orange tanks in a 3-stage asparagus setup to get my crap off Kerbin, with a single orange tank for the interplanetary stage. The first two asparagus stages use Mainsail engines for power, while the third uses a pair of Skipper engines to get a little more efficiency out of the fuel. The interplanetary stage uses four Nuclear engines, as they're efficient as hell and the drawback (low thrust) is irrelevant once you're in a stable orbit. Plus, the quad-engine setup looks badass. You can get away with just using mainsails if you're going to the Mun or Minmus, but we've gotta play it smart if we're gonna make it to the red planet.

Anyhoo, with several months before the planets are aligned for the quickest trip, I start launching the primary components of the Duna base: a kethane harvester, a kethane converter, and a habitation module. Everything's set up to be remotely controlled; a live crew will be sent up during Stage Two of the mission, to be described in a moment.

B7tC8FD.jpg

sBynMWV.jpg

5upsjdG.jpg

AFHltdV.jpg

9YQGiOf.jpg

F1v7m5l.jpg
    1919ldP.jpg

The Habitation Module managed to get into a stable orbit with the last asparagus stage intact. Mission control took note of this; with an orbital fueling facility, we could replenish the stage for an extra boost to even further worlds.

sQW17Ly.jpg

The stratosphere of Kerbin is getting crowded, and it's only going to get more so. KASA has just a little over a month before planetary alignment, and we've still got cash to throw at Stage Two this mission. So, I pose a question to you, the reader: what else should I send to Duna? Assuming nothing blows up, I'll have access to plenty of fuel and a place to stash some Kerbals. Should I bring a rover, or a glider to coast through Duna's hazy skies? What sorts of missions should my Kerbals be tasked with? Should I set up a communications network on the planet? Maybe a remote prison where I can lock away dangerous space criminals, like Riddick Kerman? And what about Ike, Duna's spooky moon? It practically lingers over the same region of the planet in a geosynchronous orbit. I bet I could do something cool with that. It's for you to decide and me to fuck up!

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Ugh, passed within 3.6km of Jeb's spot on the Mun. I misused the targeting system as a means of navigation, it wasn't good. Still! At least now I have a build that can get me to the moon. It's just a matter of execution.

• Options
    SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    webguy20 wrote: »
    If you guys want to see something amazing watch this video. It is totally worth the time.

http://youtu.be/Tp6yj2k0Fpc
    Holy shit. My heart skipped a beat at 16:00ish when
    when he almost took out the cargo module

That channel has a lot of other stuff worth watching, too.

Skylark on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Mechjeb? Oh Mechjeb makes the game easy
    21B7105796FD66C5CE197DB344063C3A0668599C
    Babies use Mechjeb!
    859D5942FFB9F95D0AE086960B4A7D9A57613215
    With Mechjeb you just fly anything anywhere and its sooooo easy
    7274388DDC96FD7C0FFCB8A5AC74C2D16C950541
    841541B56CF96654DCBF707B5BB1E83575939917
    4E23E2410889BD10EEF0636D15F9E4514782877D
    Fuck you, Mechjeb.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    I see the problem, you need to uncheck Smart Ass

• Options
    Junpei wrote: »

Actually I figured out the problem last night. The screenshot with the rocket flying laterally over the astronaut barracks probably gives the best hint as to what it was.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    You put mechjeb on the wrong way, 'ya dingus

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I lost a duna lander last night for the same reason. It decided its control point would be the bottom docking node instead of the top one (or the actual controller).

I was wondering why when i tried to land i instead blasted far far far into orbit

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Junpei wrote: »

Actually I figured out the problem last night. The screenshot with the rocket flying laterally over the astronaut barracks probably gives the best hint as to what it was.

I have no idea personally having never played, I was just being a smart ass : b

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Machwing wrote: »
    You put mechjeb on the wrong way, 'ya dingus

You win!
    The prize is a screenshot of the newest craft: The outer space RV. Ready to catapult seven lucky Kerbals to the beach planet of Laythe!

4E66E1D948316BD09BF127DDB5DFB0E243211CBA

ROAD TRIP WOOOOOO

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Haha oh man. Classic Kerbal, right here.
    43DA400DC84B2F3BBE0FE8D1A4D469807D9C7F05
    Everything started out great; we take off in our wobbly-ass rocket toward laythe.
    051C0B5299A9ABB69126F66FB0D4CDB1B3FFFB39
    Once fuel is down to less than half, we transfer it to the remaining two rockets and jettison the others.
    2A0106B017FC5381CD66649D3F6A1531117244A9
    And once again.
    07A3C4A13C507BCEF6F2971FF46B565517F1303C
    When the last transfer engine has outlived its usefulness, we plunge it into the ocean!
    33517B2AE5F11EE8C6BD373B85914EECA2205093
    Everybody put on your swim trunks, we're gonna havOH WHAT THE FUCK

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    okay, I need some help

what stops space planes from spinning out of control when they lift off

because most of the time the bloody thing this an upside down u-turn, causing it to lose momentum and plummet into the ocean before I get 200 meters up

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    okay, I need some help

because most of the time the bloody thing this an upside down u-turn, causing it to lose momentum and plummet into the ocean before I get 200 meters up

Make sure the center of gravity and the center of lift are in the same place.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    okay, I need some help

How important is aerodynamics? Because frontal and induced drag will fuck you up proper-like.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    okay, I need some help

believe me, that's the first thing I tried

then I read that you aren't supposed to do that

I found the problem

has something to do with how the center of lift changes in relation to the center of mass

just gotta make sure I have controls for managing up/down

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    you really need the center of lift and the center of mass to be aligned on the X and Y axes, and the center of mass to be directly above the center of lift.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    There oughta be a mission where you drill a nuke into an asteroid.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    There was already a mission where I brought my kerbals a can of gas because they got stranded after throwing their gas into the ocean

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    There was already a mission where I brought my kerbals a can of gas because they got stranded after throwing their gas into the ocean

Why isn't that a movie?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    achieved orbit B)

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    Woo! Finally got a satellite into orbit after watching some tutorials. Now Ive got to figure out how to dock things to each other in space. I cant wait for whatever career mode is.

noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • Options
    MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    I would actually buy one of these
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_TBFm-z_QQ

noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    Woo! Finally got a satellite into orbit after watching some tutorials. Now Ive got to figure out how to dock things to each other in space. I cant wait for whatever career mode is.

This tutorial was incredibly helpful for learning how to dock. Especially useful was knowing that when you're close enough to be showing your velocity relative to your target (Target 50m/s in the navball) burning retrograde will reduce your velocity relative to the target.

• Options
    HA

Ran out of electricity to power navigation for the first time.

At the worst time.

YeQvNop.png

• Options
    I think I have crashed a total of 4 ships into the Mun now, I can't seem to figure out how to land properly. My current strategy is to get into an orbit that is as tight as possible when I get captured in its gravity and then burn retrograde to make a descent that is as slow as possible. I can never pull this off successfully though and I usually run out of fuel too soon and crash into the surface.

I think this is just a problem of using up too much fuel getting to the Mun, so maybe the answer is that I just need to get better at rocket science, but is there anything to landing beyond getting a small orbit and then doing a controlled retrograde burn?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I tried to copy the rocket Machwing built but it keeps blowing up on me
    I tried to make a lander to land on the mun to join my fleet of race cars but it too blows up or fails to make it

I guess I should go back to playing with rocket cars

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The last time I played this, I put a ship in orbit close to the sun, and had the pilot jump out, using his jetpack to hurtle him to his ow death. I then turned on Pink Floyd's 'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun'. It was magnificent.

• Options
    Thorn413 wrote: »
    I think I have crashed a total of 4 ships into the Mun now, I can't seem to figure out how to land properly. My current strategy is to get into an orbit that is as tight as possible when I get captured in its gravity and then burn retrograde to make a descent that is as slow as possible. I can never pull this off successfully though and I usually run out of fuel too soon and crash into the surface.

I think this is just a problem of using up too much fuel getting to the Mun, so maybe the answer is that I just need to get better at rocket science, but is there anything to landing beyond getting a small orbit and then doing a controlled retrograde burn?

Minmus is way better for learning how to land. Lower gravity and plenty of flat surfaces at sea level. Go there for landing practice. Once you get into orbit where you think you have enough fuel, press F5 to quick save and land. Once you're on the ground, hold F9 to quick load and do it again.

Once you feel comfortable, head to the mun.

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    you really need the center of lift and the center of mass to be aligned on the X and Y axes, and the center of mass to be directly above the center of lift.

I want to believe you

but I've been told like five fucking things and I just want the stupid space plane to what it's supposed to do

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Thorn413 wrote: »

Minmus is way better for learning how to land. Lower gravity and plenty of flat surfaces at sea level. Go there for landing practice. Once you get into orbit where you think you have enough fuel, press F5 to quick save and land. Once you're on the ground, hold F9 to quick load and do it again.

Once you feel comfortable, head to the mun.

Somehow I never realized that there was a quick save function in this game....

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I tried to copy the rocket Machwing built but it keeps blowing up on me
    I tried to make a lander to land on the mun to join my fleet of race cars but it too blows up or fails to make it

I guess I should go back to playing with rocket cars

Are you just running at full throttle the whole time? Mainsails explode when they overheat.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I finally managed to land on duna. I found a particularly rich kethane field.... i need to scout for a good, as level as possible landing site for my heavier mining landers. Which means i have to build a rover to scout around.

I have no idea how to build a rover!

• Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I finally managed to land on duna. I found a particularly rich kethane field.... i need to scout for a good, as level as possible landing site for my heavier mining landers. Which means i have to build a rover to scout around.

I have no idea how to build a rover!

I suggest wheels, a seat and a mainsail as a starting point.

t9migZb.jpg