Options

Work appropriate [chat]

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Saw a girl on the train talking on her iPhone, a plug in old school rotary curved mic/earpiece combo. Looked more comfortable than using phone as intended

cradling a curved phone inbetween your head and shoulder while talking to a friend was the bomb

Makes for useful club if attacked by surprise goats too

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    syndalis wrote: »
    Apple's stock prices are kind of a victim of their own success. nothing they can do at this point will be enough. the new iPhone could give you free blowjobs and people would complain they aren't sloppy enough

Apple stock prices seem to always fall immediately following a product announcement.

Were I a person with lots of liquidity right now, I would buy the shit out of the stock, because come September 20th, it is going to recover all of the losses and post a modest gain. This shit happens every time, and I think lots of people get richer off of the Announcement->Release stock fluctuations.

The new iPhone is the best one they have made yet from a power / performance / feature level, and it is going to be purchased in droves from the 4s and 4 users who have been waiting on an upgrade.

They also just got certification in China to launch on the carriers there, including the largest one in the entire country.

It will be impossible for the iPhone 5s to sell less than prior phones. If anything, sales will probably double this generation, just on the back of China.

Yeah, but a boring, bestselling product that doesn't get much buzz at all is not the one you make while your company is on the rise. It's your Windows XP, your Guitar Hero 3. It's where you cash in on all the work from the previous years. But going forward, people are going to be looking for something that excites them.

I really don't want them to fuck with the iPhone or the iPad at this point.

The fingerprint thing is welcome if it works as well as it seems to, and eventual RFID in the iPhone for purchases would be swell.

How do you feel about NPR's reporting this morning regarding fingerprint ID?

Specifically the issue that courts have ruled the State cannot compel you to give up your passwords (including screen lock) but it can compel you to provide your fingerprint.

spool32 on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Henroid wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    So as an example of the kind of shit that makes me go, "WOO AWESOME" and enjoy life:

http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v=h LofIoqHRck

not sure why they spend so long on a given system, but that is pretty cool

Because the song is actually pretty lengthy. It loops once one the main part, then dives into like a 30 second breakdown that rules.

But yeah I just love hearing music composition for a video game and how it differs across platforms. That shit is like non-existent on modern platforms.

oh

I didn't even pay attention to the music

edit: I mean, I heard it and thought it was ok, but ...

Tamin on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    to distract goats you can just feed them a current gen iphone and theyll immediately die from the deadly deadly chromium

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    But what happens when apple needs to innovate not just renovate? Where's the next i tech boom going to come from? Checkmate geniuses.

I'm hardly a resident Apple fanboy but if you think the iOS market is stagnating look at Android and Windows Mobile. Android can't seem to do anything but make screens bigger. Big updates to the OS are few and far between and almost nobody gets them for a full generation after their release. And Windows Mobile is a nice system that got released about 3 years after the mobile wars were already over and can't seem to move an inch.

I used to be a pretty big google fanboy but seriously they've stagnated like hell and don't seem to be moving on much of anything these days.

they're apparently doing a bunch of stuff behind the scenes. there was an article a few days ago talking about how they're going to run a shim - google play services - and basically bypass the carrier and oem.

found it

that sounds like a very odd workaround. I really don't get why they're so dedicated to Android being open source and then doing things like that that take away half the pluses of open source software. The whole system takes away the pluses of open source software anyway since the development is being done by megacorps who care more about their fancy icons and bloatware than improving the Operating system.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Apple working with NSA to subvert your impregnable screen lock security.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    to distract goats you can just feed them a current gen iphone and theyll immediately die from the deadly deadly chromium

Sure but how then am I meant to say to friend I was talking go before attack "Sorry, goat attack, all sorted now lol thank f***...anyway yes, I did see Desc kiss that hobo "

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Spool, I might fundamentally disagree with you on policy, but I always respect that your opinions on things are informed.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    spool32 wrote: »
    Apple's stock prices are kind of a victim of their own success. nothing they can do at this point will be enough. the new iPhone could give you free blowjobs and people would complain they aren't sloppy enough

Apple stock prices seem to always fall immediately following a product announcement.

Were I a person with lots of liquidity right now, I would buy the shit out of the stock, because come September 20th, it is going to recover all of the losses and post a modest gain. This shit happens every time, and I think lots of people get richer off of the Announcement->Release stock fluctuations.

The new iPhone is the best one they have made yet from a power / performance / feature level, and it is going to be purchased in droves from the 4s and 4 users who have been waiting on an upgrade.

They also just got certification in China to launch on the carriers there, including the largest one in the entire country.

It will be impossible for the iPhone 5s to sell less than prior phones. If anything, sales will probably double this generation, just on the back of China.

Yeah, but a boring, bestselling product that doesn't get much buzz at all is not the one you make while your company is on the rise. It's your Windows XP, your Guitar Hero 3. It's where you cash in on all the work from the previous years. But going forward, people are going to be looking for something that excites them.

The fingerprint thing is welcome if it works as well as it seems to, and eventual RFID in the iPhone for purchases would be swell.

Specifically the issue that courts have ruled the State cannot compel you to give up your passwords (including screen lock) but it can compel you to provide your fingerprint.

if you're concerned about the state getting your shit dont use the fingerprint lock

edit: not to say that this is a defense of the state's legal capabilities, it isn't, just in a practical manner as you say the state can compel fingerprints so the solution would be to not use that as a defense against your data

override367 on
  • Options
    I am so full of gyro meat.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Long story short: I love Android but its status as open source software is garbage and needs to die.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I just don't get the big deal in 'innovation' in smartphones or pushing a new OS.

Like, the current OS does everything everyone wants it to do. Sure there are going to be incremental / evolutionary updates, but we don't need a new OS pushed out every six months / year. If it will run my apps, take calls, and let me send a text I'm golden, as are 95% of the people out there.

Give me a bigger and high definition screen and longer battery life please. Otherwise, minimal incremental OS changes.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone else here reads Cracked, but man...I'm so sick of David Wong's preachy pretentiousness. His 9/11 article really pushed me over the edge.

Just shut the fuck up dude and get your head out of your own ass. I go to Cracked to read humorous lists while I'm on the shitter. When I see an article titles 'X things we've learned since 9/11', I expect it to be interesting scientific discoveries interspersed with dick jokes and funny captioned pictures.

Not someone ranting about how the TSA and NSA are invading their privacy and we're all sheeple man, sheeple.

Wong has been a prick about stuff like that for as long as I've been reading his articles.

Which I just realized is a decade+, damn.

Funny guy, but there are some subjects he just can't take (or make) a joke about without getting snarky and way too serious despite the veneer of dick jokes

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So as an example of the kind of shit that makes me go, "WOO AWESOME" and enjoy life:

http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v=h LofIoqHRck

not sure why they spend so long on a given system, but that is pretty cool

Because the song is actually pretty lengthy. It loops once one the main part, then dives into like a 30 second breakdown that rules.

But yeah I just love hearing music composition for a video game and how it differs across platforms. That shit is like non-existent on modern platforms.

oh

I didn't even pay attention to the music

edit: I mean, I heard it and thought it was ok, but ...

That's alright, not many people care for music in video games. Definitely not on the level I do. It's the nerdiest thing I get up to.

• Options
    I mean I'm pretty sure there'll be an app for an old school screen lock if that's an issue.

• Options
    I miss my old android 2.0 smartphone with a slide out keyboard because I could play like old dos games on it

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I am so full of gyro meat.

This will be me in a few hours.

Really good gyro place is bogo on wednesdays.

Soooo good.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    All I want is more battery life.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2013
    spool32 wrote: »

Well, your fingerprint alone is essentially useless when it comes to forcing an unlock on the new iPhone.

the way the sensor works involves sub-level readings along with the surface image, so a flat representation of your finger won't do anything.

Also, the data is stored on an encrypted portion of the A7 chip that does not get included in iPhone backups, and is not sent to iCloud or used in any data communication related to the antennas in any way whatsoever.

So unless the police officer / state authority forced you to place your thumb on the scanner and hold it there, having both you and your device in the room at the same time...

honestly, you have much bigger problems on your hands than the unlocking of your phone at that moment.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    But what happens when apple needs to innovate not just renovate? Where's the next i tech boom going to come from? Checkmate geniuses.

I'm hardly a resident Apple fanboy but if you think the iOS market is stagnating look at Android and Windows Mobile. Android can't seem to do anything but make screens bigger. Big updates to the OS are few and far between and almost nobody gets them for a full generation after their release. And Windows Mobile is a nice system that got released about 3 years after the mobile wars were already over and can't seem to move an inch.

I used to be a pretty big google fanboy but seriously they've stagnated like hell and don't seem to be moving on much of anything these days.

The reason that you don't see much change in Android anymore is because they moved the elements that were getting changed regularly out of the OS and into Google Play Services. Which also solves the fragmentation issue, because Play Services runs on the vast majority of systems.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I just don't get the big deal in 'innovation' in smartphones or pushing a new OS.

Like, the current OS does everything everyone wants it to do. Sure there are going to be incremental / evolutionary updates, but we don't need a new OS pushed out every six months / year. If it will run my apps, take calls, and let me send a text I'm golden, as are 95% of the people out there.

Give me a bigger and high definition screen and longer battery life please. Otherwise, minimal incremental OS changes.

I need my phone to also be a hoverboard.

• Options
    Gosling wrote: »
    UPDATE ON MICROSOFT HOLDING MY WORD AND EXCEL FILES FOR RANSOM FOR $140:

My mom just had it happen to her on her computer as well.

Does Microsoft Office suddenly come with an annual license thing? Because that is some shady bullshit.

No, no, the ANNUAL license is $100. I don't want to have to do this shit once a goddamn year.

Something tells me that I'll forever be using the full Office 2010 Professional (with Visio and Visual Studio) license I got for $9.00 total from my previous employer.

Cause fuck a subscription fee.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Does Microsoft Office suddenly come with an annual license thing? Because that is some shady bullshit.

No, no, the ANNUAL license is $100. I don't want to have to do this shit once a goddamn year.

Something tells me that I'll forever be using the full Office 2010 Professional (with Visio and Visual Studio) license I got for $9.00 total from my previous employer.

HUP is da bessss

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »

Holy shit, Steam steppin' up to like the one feature on the XB1 that's interesting. Nice.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I bought a full set of office just a few months ago... I do not pay a subscription. I saw some sort of strange option for this that seemed like a terrible deal but maybe it had some special features?

I dunno, if you just want all the programs that normally come with office there is no subscription.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    You can walk into walmart and purchase the basic version of office for like $90.
    Why would you pay an annual license of $100?

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Office 2013 does not require a subscription fee.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    3qN1Oiw.jpg

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    You can walk into walmart and purchase the basic version of office for like $90.

something something business expense

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

You mean this thing?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-6GQ-00024-Office-365-Home-Premium-32-64-bit-5-PCs-5-Mobile-Devices/23374729

It only lasts for a year, for up to 5 PCs.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Speaking as an iPhone 4 user, the 64 bit CPU has pretty much convinced me to upgrade at this point. Going to wait a month or so for all the bugs to get out of it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    So full.

Still more gyro meat.

Sob

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    TL DR wrote: »

Holy shit, Steam steppin' up to like the one feature on the XB1 that's interesting. Nice.

What's to stop a family from growing to 200 members? All of [chat] could agree to sign up for a family plan and swap games back and forth willy nilly instead of everyone buying their own copy during a sale.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

Office 2013 does not require a subscription fee.

Yeah, but I already have a 2010 license and don't have access to HUP anymore.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular

You mean this thing?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-6GQ-00024-Office-365-Home-Premium-32-64-bit-5-PCs-5-Mobile-Devices/23374729

It only lasts for a year, for up to 5 PCs.
    I imagine the reason for the annual license is the fact that it allows for multiple installs.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    Office 365 literally has the annual fee in the name.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

This is the model that Google moved to - Android is the OS, Play Services is the userland.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    man, I really do not want to go into work today

need to get a new job

so angry that the other place passed me over

This discussion has been closed.