As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GTA5] Old thread, ready to lock.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »
    Animation/gameplay spoiler
    1379082887557.gif
    they're learning

Hm. Upgrades.

Don't worry darleysam

I appreciated this reference

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I remember going to K-Mart hoping to snag Mass Effect early. No joy.

I feel like there was a time K-Mart didn't completely suck, but it was so long ago I don't know if my mind is creating false memories.

... or maybe I'm thinking of Venture

points to anyone who remembers them

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    We never had any Venture stores here just Kmarts. But back in the 90's they only seemed slightly lower quality than a Target. Now they are really down there.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    A mom-and-pop shop in town that sadly doesn't exist anymore sold me Mass Effect a couple weeks early, with that big bright orange sticker on the top

Wooo-eee, I had some jealous friends

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    K-Mart's problem is that Wal-Mart completely muscled them out of the trailer trash shopper market segment. Target already has the middlish class don't want to shop at Wal-Mart segment wrapped up. K-Mart tried to gussy itself up and move in on Target's market in the early 2000's, like a big corporate revamp, but it was a failure. Everyone had the image of K-Mart being a somehow more terrible Wal-Mart already etched in their minds.

It was like "Okay, I know Wal-Mart is full of some serious casts off of humanity, but at least the store is mostly clean and the shelves are stocked and sometimes fronted". Every time I walked in to a K-Mart post the 80's, it was like a tornado of indifference had blasted on through.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    K-Mart is apathy incarnate

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Is Rockstar still playing whack a mole with the streams? Or are there a few still up?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Been playing for about 30 minutes. Jesus fucking christ. I feel like - yes after like 1% of gameplay - that Rockstar sat down the GTAV team and said "Guys, we need to beat the competition. They've had their shot and now it's time for us to piss all over their efforts. . ." - and then they pull out GTAIV and RDR to show who the competition is.

The interaction between characters already is infinitely better than GTA IV (whose story I couldn't get into and had no interest in beating). I haven't heard so many nigga's and fuck's used to such artistic glory.

I will say this is definitely a "this gen. . ." game in terms of the jaggies. If you decide to wait for the PC (or the inevitable PS4/XBOX360 release), you're probably going to be blown away. . .still the game looks as good as any current gen (especially the faces. . .if GTA IV was a light year jump from San Andreas, this is a jump in a new dimension). There's a level of realism to everything (even using the same system) that permeates even into the world. I feel Rockstar said, "Ok we can still be stupid - but let's also make a game that feels real." Straddling that line between IV and RDR quite well so far.

And whoa. . .there's a god damn soundtrack now! I turned off the radio during one part so I could listen to it.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I won't ask how you're playing this already

(How are you playing this already)

• Options
    Is Rockstar still playing whack a mole with the streams? Or are there a few still up?

THere are some Russian and Chinese streams that are effectively out of their reach, but the streamers are pretty much fly by night even then. Any US or European streams get shut down crazy fast.

• Options

Craigslist and paying more than I should have.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

So basically a Gamestop/Wal-Mart/Target employee snatched a couple from the back and peddled them on Craigslist for what I would only imagine is three figure prices.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Anyone got a link to any of these Chinese and Russian streams? Or should I just type in Chinese/Russian GTA5 stream into Twitch.tv or something?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to any of these Chinese and Russian streams? Or should I just type in Chinese/Russian GTA5 stream into Twitch.tv or something?

They're hosted on foreign stream services, hence R* isn't able to take them down easily. They pop up every so often on Reddit and 4chan, haven't had much luck finding them myself manually.

There's also http://www.youtube.com/results?search_sort=video_date_uploaded&search_query=gta+v

Edit: Oh my god. I just saw something amazing.
    Michael takes marijuana and has a bad trip, going off to fight aliens for a little while.

...how the fuck did Australia let this through with an R18 rating, when SRIV didn't? o_O

Suriko on
  • Options
    Suriko wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »

They're hosted on foreign stream services, hence R* isn't able to take them down easily. They pop up every so often on Reddit and 4chan, haven't had much luck finding them myself manually.

There's also http://www.youtube.com/results?search_sort=video_date_uploaded&search_query=gta+v

Edit: Oh my god. I just saw something amazing.
    Michael takes marijuana and has a bad trip, going off to fight aliens for a little while.

...how the fuck did Australia let this through with an R18 rating, when SRIV didn't? o_O

Speaking of rating -
    Hot Coffee has NOTHING on this game.

• Options
    @ED! , the multiplayer isn't up yet right? I'm a tad curious about the whole grandparent/parent creation process.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    From what I understand the Australian board only has problems when drugs give you positive effects or something.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    From what I understand the Australian board only has problems when drugs give you positive effects or something.

I feel bad for aussie games (1 millionth person to say this), their board is so bloody fickle. State of Decay is a good example of what you mention.
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    So it seems the player characters will be fairly customizable

Spoilered for hair
    haircuts.jpg

I totally want to make Michael look like Walter White/Max Payne when shit inevitably goes downhill. I'm not sure if his voice will seem quite right with the look though...

Egos on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

So basically a Gamestop/Wal-Mart/Target employee snatched a couple from the back and peddled them on Craigslist for what I would only imagine is three figure prices.

The game is in retailers hands already, plenty of indie stores out there don't have a problem selling copies early (as it's really the only way they can compete with the big retailers anymore).

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Some scale after an hour (slight map spoilage):
    Zoomed out (3000ft scale):
    9739655792_2596fb6941.jpg

All the way in (200ft scale):
    9739655558_eba92fb031.jpg

And the landscape. . .
    9739655420_9fd5029511.jpg

Hills people. . .the game has hills. And the road-work they've done. GTAIV had one - three freeways. . .and they all looked the same? The freeway design here is much better. . .except when you're being chased by cops, you aim for the horizon at what looks like a median. . .and launch yourself over the damn overpass into the ocean below.

ED! on
  • Options
    L67J1qa.jpg

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Found a video of someone who made their Franklin look like Ice Cube...pretty great.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Egos wrote: »
    @ED! , the multiplayer isn't up yet right? I'm a tad curious about the whole grandparent/parent creation process.

I don't think so. I think it's all through the Social Club and I can't imagine that's up. Doesn't that drop Oct. 1st anyway?

. . .and yea. These cops don't play this time. I am loving the reworked mechanic.

ED! on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Found a video of someone who made their Franklin look like Ice Cube...pretty great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV5jJrv2kjY

I knew I'd have an excuse to post this soon

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Egos wrote: »

I don't think so. I think it's all through the Social Club and I can't imagine that's up. Doesn't that drop Oct. 1st anyway?

Apparently (on doing a quick google search), for some reason I just thought it wasn't gonna be active till day or so after release in case of leaks or slightly early releases.

• Options
    From people who have the game on /v/. Multiple people have it, so anyone posting bullshit is generally getting called on it:
    Each Character has their own customization options exclusive to them in stores.
    Haircut
    Facial Hair
    Upper Body
    Lower Body
    Shoes
    Wrist
    Hat
    Mask
    Glasses
    Shades and Masks can be equipped at will from an inventory menu.
    Pretty happy about the latter.

Rest in spoilers, some of this shit is bananas:
    Gameplay mechanics:
    >literally no two vehicles handle the same way; there is a genuine difference between every sedan, muscle car, sports car, motorbike, helicopter, etc.
    >in the airport are Boeings, smaller jets, stunt planes, helicopters and even an old WWII fighter
    >the Wanted system remains at 5 stars but there are military bases in the game; soldiers can be seen driving tanks to shoot at trespassers and there are visible attack helicopters and fighter jets
    >the speech system from San Andreas returns; any time while standing around or passing pedestrians, you can compliment or insult them with varying results
    >pedestrian clusters, i.e.: peds exclusive to certain areas, react to each player character differently (Michael wandering around the ghetto will be accosted by gangbangers or beggars, Franklin walking around high class neighborhoods at night may receive 1 star)
    >almost 20% of all buildings in the game can be entered, but you will often receive a wanted level if you wander around private residencies
    >each safehouse has different features such as bongs, liquor cabinets, televisions, fish tanks, meth labs or other NPCs
    >most creatures in the wilderness will flee from you, but pumas remain intent on kicking your ass (they can even knock you off a bike or, if your car window is gone, rip you out of the vehicle)
    >dead bodies in the desert or mountains will be ripped at by wild dogs and aformentioned pumas
    >if you happen to drop a dead body into the ocean, a shark will circle it; if the shark attacks the body, several more show up and bite it until it despawns (and its very dangerous to swim close)
    >at higher Wanted levels, cops begin wearing bulletproof vests and use assault weaponry, making them very likely to kill you outside of a vehicle
    >there are 13 types of hooker exclusive to certain areas

Some random NPC events:
    >guy held up by local gang and you can save him for money
    >panhandlers that let you throw them a dollar (I dont know what this does)
    >guy getting thrown out of his house by his wife, can be driven to his new girlfriend's house for money
    >hitchhikers asking for a ride, the one I picked up actually carjacked me and called me a faggot
    >if you have been killing a lot of hookers lately you can get attacked by a very well armed pimp

• Options
    From people who have the game on /v/. Multiple people have it, so anyone posting bullshit is generally getting called on it:
    Haircut
    Facial Hair
    Upper Body
    Lower Body
    Shoes
    Wrist
    Hat
    Mask
    Glasses

Gameplay mechanics:
    >literally no two vehicles handle the same way; there is a genuine difference between every sedan, muscle car, sports car, motorbike, helicopter, etc.
    >in the airport are Boeings, smaller jets, stunt planes, helicopters and even an old WWII fighter
    >the Wanted system remains at 5 stars but there are military bases in the game; soldiers can be seen driving tanks to shoot at trespassers and there are visible attack helicopters and fighter jets
    >the speech system from San Andreas returns; any time while standing around or passing pedestrians, you can compliment or insult them with varying results
    >pedestrian clusters, i.e.: peds exclusive to certain areas, react to each player character differently (Michael wandering around the ghetto will be accosted by gangbangers or beggars, Franklin walking around high class neighborhoods at night may receive 1 star)
    >almost 20% of all buildings in the game can be entered, but you will often receive a wanted level if you wander around private residencies
    >each safehouse has different features such as bongs, liquor cabinets, televisions, fish tanks, meth labs or other NPCs
    >most creatures in the wilderness will flee from you, but pumas remain intent on kicking your ass (they can even knock you off a bike or, if your car window is gone, rip you out of the vehicle)
    >dead bodies in the desert or mountains will be ripped at by wild dogs and aformentioned pumas
    >if you happen to drop a dead body into the ocean, a shark will circle it; if the shark attacks the body, several more show up and bite it until it despawns (and its very dangerous to swim close)
    >at higher Wanted levels, cops begin wearing bulletproof vests and use assault weaponry, making them very likely to kill you outside of a vehicle

Some random NPC events:
    >guy getting thrown out of his house by his wife, can be driven to his new girlfriend's house for money
    >hitchhikers asking for a ride, the one I picked up actually carjacked me and called me a faggot
    >if you have been killing a lot of hookers lately you can get attacked by a very well armed pimp

Game of the fucking year

• Options
    More scale:

9739968602_175f3cd1dd.jpg

9739968826_df6c4d2847.jpg

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Not gonna watch any streams. I can do this! Be strong Isy!

• Options
    Is it possible to die of jealousy

This is important

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

Holy shit.

Holy shit.

This game looks amazing.
    Is the story more fun then IV?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    kozmokozmo Titan VRegistered User regular
    This game is unbelievable.. just unbelievable. So much content I can't even wrap my head around it. The attention to detail is really staggering... I've watched a bunch of streams, leaks, firsthand info... just wow.

Weening myself off the footage now, I've seen enough, and I want the rest to surprise me.

This isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    ­
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beezel wrote: »
    Haircut
    Facial Hair
    Upper Body
    Lower Body
    Shoes
    Wrist
    Hat
    Mask
    Glasses

Gameplay mechanics:

Some random NPC events:

Game of the fucking year
    I hope you can shoot someone dead, "capture" their friend with the bounty mechanics, put them both in a boat and head into shark territory -- make the survivor watch you chum the sharks with his dead friend, then throw him into the frenzy.

Yes.

­
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iBa6UQCrZRxp3.gif

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Looks like they really listened to complaints from IV and also added a lot of what made RDR special to this one, as well. Come on, Tuesday!

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    kozmo wrote: »
    I hope you can shoot someone dead, "capture" their friend with the bounty mechanics, put them both in a boat and head into shark territory -- make the survivor watch you chum the sharks with his dead friend, then throw him into the frenzy.

Yes.

y7vQVRp.gif

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    kozmo wrote: »

Yes.

y7vQVRp.gif
    Well how else are you going to chum the water?!

­
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.