Options

[GTA5] Old thread, ready to lock.

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    If someone is motivated by revenge i have very little sympathy. This is why Handsome Jack failed to evoke a response from me. Devs spent the whole game trying to motivate me to revenge and i just do not see that as an excusable reaction. Desperation is another motivation that i generally view as negative, but i have never been faced with it so i have little reason to impose judgment.
    I tend to have exactly zero sympathy for puckish rogues or Robin Hood type characters. Resorting to crime, fir me, is inexcusable. This is why i tend to be a bit severe in my judgments of video game protagonists. I understand that not everyone shares my morals and i do not judge, but to me every GTA protagonist is a parasite at best and a villain at worst

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    Oh fine. I find the whole Bro? thing weird but if it makes you happy.

It does. :D

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    I also liked the one where you cut to Trevor and he's in Wade's cousin's bed spooning him.

He has the best transitions.
    I hated that one. It's clearly supposed to imply that Trevor had raped Floyd. Everything about that plotline made me uneasy, I'm pretty much just pretending it doesn't exist.

I didn't get that at all.
    They were just cuddling. It'd still make me uncomfortable enough to cry in the morning if Trevor snuck into the room in the middle of the night to cuddle with me. That's how I took it.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    This must be the only place that is discussing the moral alignment of GTA characters. Everyplace I see they are talking about getting 5 stars and living. And Strip Clubs.

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    PA is Philosophy Arcade
    At least for me :P

Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    Resorting to crime, fir me, is inexcusable. This is why i tend to be a bit severe in my judgments of video game protagonists. I understand that not everyone shares my morals and i do not judge, but to me every GTA protagonist is a parasite at best and a villain at worst

Ghandi was a criminal. Hard for me to see things in such concrete terms.

Also, regarding "revenge" as motivation, what about justice? What's the difference between justice and revenge? A trial? What if, like with Handsome Jack, a trial was impossible? Is it still purely revenge to kill him?

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I also liked the one where you cut to Trevor and he's in Wade's cousin's bed spooning him.

I hated that one. It's clearly supposed to imply that Trevor had raped Floyd. Everything about that plotline made me uneasy, I'm pretty much just pretending it doesn't exist.

They were just cuddling. It'd still make me uncomfortable enough to cry in the morning if Trevor snuck into the room in the middle of the night to cuddle with me. That's how I took it.
    If Trevor wanted some lovin', Mr. Raspberry Jam was right there.
    Once you've gone plushy, you never go... mushy? I don't know, I'm bad at this.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »

If Trevor wanted some lovin', Mr. Raspberry Jam was right there.
    Once you've gone plushy, you never go... mushy? I don't know, I'm bad at this.

You're better than you think you are. lol.

• Options
    Resorting to crime, fir me, is inexcusable. This is why i tend to be a bit severe in my judgments of video game protagonists. I understand that not everyone shares my morals and i do not judge, but to me every GTA protagonist is a parasite at best and a villain at worst

Also, regarding "revenge" as motivation, what about justice? What's the difference between justice and revenge? A trial? What if, like with Handsome Jack, a trial was impossible? Is it still purely revenge to kill him?

Well circumstances have to be taken into consideration. I agree with justice when it is intended to protect the populace, when it is intended as revenge it falls flat for me.
    Is not perfect, nothing is, i can think of many scenarios where the idea has been or will be challenged, does not negate it. Everything has exceptions. Thou shalt not kill, however an army is necessary. The world is a complex place. GTA protagonists do not fight for rights, they do not want to improve the world around them. They want to get stuff for themselves and be badasses, not good guys or antiheroes in any way

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular

I think it was open to interpretation, though I took it the same way you did @fatalspoons

When you leave that scene, did anyone else notice
    The Axe in the White door? Definitely gave off a Jack Torrence The Shining vibe.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Am I weird for...
    Hating Trevor straight up murdering Floyd and his girlfriend more than the torture scene

?

I found the former far more disturbing than the latter.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Am I weird for...
    Hating Trevor straight up murdering Floyd and his girlfriend more than the torture scene

?

I didn't hate him for it, but it bothered me more.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Technically it was "self defense".

No I am not serious at all.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

"It's coming right for us!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    He didn't kill them. It was jam. We already talked about this.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Am I weird for...

?

Trevor wiping out
    The Lost

affected me much more, although I felt bad for
    Flloyd in a way.

even though it was understandable Debra would want Trevor out. The other bits we saw of her didn't make her particularly likable.

Not that she deserved to be killed or anything, but yeah The Lost thing was a lot more tragic to me.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

Well...
    Debra on one side with a gun, Floyd on the other with a knife. Exactly what was Trevor supposed to do? Really doubting he got out of that without a bit of that... syrup being his. Debra was obviously kind of crazy to just pull a gun on someone instead of leaving to call the cops.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    For my first hours online I'm probably just going to be following people around and hitting square then circle a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRM2YcGpmxg

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

Well circumstances have to be taken into consideration. I agree with justice when it is intended to protect the populace, when it is intended as revenge it falls flat for me.
    Is not perfect, nothing is, i can think of many scenarios where the idea has been or will be challenged, does not negate it. Everything has exceptions. Thou shalt not kill, however an army is necessary. The world is a complex place. GTA protagonists do not fight for rights, they do not want to improve the world around them. They want to get stuff for themselves and be badasses, not good guys or antiheroes in any way

Just throwing this out there, criminality or law breaking really has nothing to do with pop culture depictions of what makes a hero, anti hero, or villain protag. Han Solo is literally a drug smuggler and he helped saved the galaxy and got the girl.

The rule of thumb is, "Could this character be unquestionably the villain of the story if the point of view was different?" If so, you have a villain protagonist. I'm not talking Disney, "oh this poor soul is just misunderstood" stuff, I'm talking this character is Scarface, and story is from his perspective.

Imagine if Breaking Bad was about the good cop Hank and his weird stressed out family life only to discover his dorky, weak brother-in-law was really behind all the meth stuff he was dealing with (and set up correctly), does it still work as a story? Yes.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

Well...
    Debra on one side with a gun, Floyd on the other with a knife. Exactly what was Trevor supposed to do? Really doubting he got out of that without a bit of that... syrup being his. Debra was obviously kind of crazy to just pull a gun on someone instead of leaving to call the cops.

You replied to me seriously!

You are, like, totally doing it wrong!

Hand in your humor license!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    @Deadfall Are you Algernop on the Rockstar Social Club?

Yes. I didn't realize you could change nicknames once a year.

E: @jdarksun I can fill out the form again if needed.
    Nope, you're set.
    Arth wrote: »
    Filled out the verification form. Man, I can't wait for October first. If only I wasn't working 7 goddamn days in a row starting tomorrow... Or had some sick days left.
    @jdarksun - Verified
    Thanks you two, got it.

• Options
    So I guess Rockstar has officially confirmed microtransactions for GTA Online. I'm rather neutral about it. Doesn't sound like it will affect much .

Quote from NBC
    As if in response to gamer concerns, Rockstar said that microtransactions were designed to give players an added convenience if they did not have the time or energy to unlock everything at their own pace.

"The game and its economy have been designed and balanced for the vast majority of players who will not buy extra cash," Rockstar said. "There is no in-game paywall and nothing that should disrupt the balance of the game. You don't have to spend real money to attain the cars, guns, clothes, flash and style of a high-roller in Los Santos, but can if you wish to get them a little quicker. The economy is balanced differently from the single player economy, and cash earned in one cannot be taken over to the other. Most players will earn cash much faster Online than in Story Mode."

Also Rockstar apparently explained some new stuff on their webpage about Online. For those completely in the dark and interested. I'm not really sure what details are new there.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    I haven't even reached the part of the game where Trevor is a playable character. Brother-in-law has been in town from the Army and I've been having a lot of family time.

Have to catch up.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options

Just throwing this out there, criminality or law breaking really has nothing to do with pop culture depictions of what makes a hero, anti hero, or villain protag. Han Solo is literally a drug smuggler and he helped saved the galaxy and got the girl.

The rule of thumb is, "Could this character be unquestionably the villain of the story if the point of view was different?" If so, you have a villain protagonist. I'm not talking Disney, "oh this poor soul is just misunderstood" stuff, I'm talking this character is Scarface, and story is from his perspective.

Imagine if Breaking Bad was about the good cop Hank and his weird stressed out family life only to discover his dorky, weak brother-in-law was really behind all the meth stuff he was dealing with (and set up correctly), does it still work as a story? Yes.

Oh yeah i totally agree. Could only watch two episodes of Breaking Bad
    As i said i just have little to no sympathy for criminals. No big deal, GTA is a crime simulator

• Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    @jdarksun thanks for the invite, accepted!

• Options
    HalleckHalleck Registered User regular
    This must be the only place that is discussing the moral alignment of GTA characters. Everyplace I see they are talking about getting 5 stars and living. And Strip Clubs.

That's why this community rocks. Even when we disagree, people are busting out with interesting stuff left and right. Food for thought is the BEST food.

• Options

I was looking up info about Online and came across GTAForums . I'll just say ... don't visit gtaforums.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Just got this.

Ua7bm1z.jpg

• Options
    Halleck wrote: »

That's why this community rocks. Even when we disagree, people are busting out with interesting stuff left and right. Food for thought is the BEST food.

But I want to talk about digital tits.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    So post game I decided to hang out with T F and M and see what they all had to say to each other.
    Michael and Franklin basically just celebrate and shit about their success. Then they start talking about their mentor student relationship and F is all "Yknow I thought you'd just teach me how to rob a small time bank or something and we'd retire" and such and they laugh about how crazy the reality was.

Franklin and Trevor, F asks T why he didn't kill M. I'll leave the answer why for you guys to find out, because it's a pretty good answer.

Then the one I was looking forward to.
    Trevor and Michael.
    Michael apologises to T. Properly. Really honestly. I quite liked that. T accepts his apology.
    Also when T rocked up to pick up M I had stolen a taxi cab and M goes "Of course you'd be driving that"

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    So I guess Rockstar has officially confirmed microtransactions for GTA Online. I'm rather neutral about it. Doesn't sound like it will affect much .

Quote from NBC
    As if in response to gamer concerns, Rockstar said that microtransactions were designed to give players an added convenience if they did not have the time or energy to unlock everything at their own pace.

"The game and its economy have been designed and balanced for the vast majority of players who will not buy extra cash," Rockstar said. "There is no in-game paywall and nothing that should disrupt the balance of the game. You don't have to spend real money to attain the cars, guns, clothes, flash and style of a high-roller in Los Santos, but can if you wish to get them a little quicker. The economy is balanced differently from the single player economy, and cash earned in one cannot be taken over to the other. Most players will earn cash much faster Online than in Story Mode."

Also Rockstar apparently explained some new stuff on their webpage about Online. For those completely in the dark and interested. I'm not really sure what details are new there.
    You know, assuming the online is as fun as most of us expect it to be, I wouldn't be averse to dropping $10 so that I could buy my sweet as crib right away. (IIR $10 gets you $500k in game, with the most expensive player house being $400k as per Eurogamer).

Of course they've said some stuff is locked behind your Rank, so until next week it's anyones guess.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Also during a heist, I got a weird bug
    I got two packies

0_0.jpg
    0_0.jpg

Egos on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    So, the Therapist visits -are- pretty dynamic.
    I'd been curious about it, since Michael always claims to be a 'good boy' about his sexual behavior, which is true. Never took him near a hooker or anything like that. But I was curious, since I -know- you can technically get the characters a little action, so I took him to the Strip Club. Got private dances with the intent on getting him to take a girl home, but neither of them were into that, so I just left because it was kind of boring.

Went to a Therapy session after, and when the guy asked, Michael said, "Oh, nothing really. Just strippers. No hookers or anything, and it was just looking, that's it." Something along those lines.

Pretty interesting!

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    I like that Michael looks like he's gonna throw up.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/09/21/grand-theft-auto-v-relevant-story-torture-since-zero-dark-thirty/
    excellent article on why the torture mission is a succesful satire, and an important one

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    some parts of GTA remind me of RDR
    Fucking mountain lions.

Most of the way finished, this game is amazing. Luckily my sister is playing it as well so i can space out when/how i play the game

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    officeapeofficeape Upper Texas CoastRegistered User new member
    This is where the fun happens, right?

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Am I weird for...

?

your not the only one. The joke rock-star pulled with wade afterward came off as tasteless. Funny but still a little to much it felt like bipolar writing.

Harbringer197 on
  • Options
    a bit curious what happens if you select a two seater for the getaway car? It seemed a tad odd to me that this is often an option

Also any advice on what car I should get for the last heist? Or at least..I think it is, it's
    the "big one". Or the one that Michael and Trevor always dreamed about. Union Something or whatever

I'm going the obvious route with the drill

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    One of my long lost modded whips showed up randomly tonight in my garage. Mi thought it was gone forever but nope! The bike I parked in there last night is long gone however.

This discussion has been closed.