Options

[GTA5] Old thread, ready to lock.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I just wrapped up the controversial scene everyone's been talking about...
    I understand how it can make some people uncomfortable, but I didn't have a lot of issues with the actual actions of the scene.

That said, I don't think there was anything satirical about it. It wasn't meant to be satire, it was an obvious and direct political statement. This is a somewhat new turn for GTA games (I guess IV really started it). They've always had political messages, but normally they are wrapped up in satire. There was nothing satirical about this. This was just a hard hitting political message. Trevor's after dialog, where he talks about torture being for the torturer and how it extracts no reliable information, really drives the point home.

The Houser's were obviously saying "American's justifying torture is reprehensible, especially in the name of terrorism, because it rarely actually leads to getting 'the guy' and is really just about some sick freak getting his rocks off". If anything made me uncomfortable, that was it. Not because I disagree with the Houser's, but because the entire scene made me face a grim truth about my country and it's methods of para-military operation and intelligence extraction.

I think this is exactly the response they were trying to evoke, and why having you participate in a visceral way mattered. If it had just been "press X to yank the guys tooth", I don't think it would have hit as hard as having to actually sit there and twist the stick. Overall I think it's a brilliant scene, as unsettling as it is, and I think it should make any sane balanced American question what we allow our government to do in our name.

I didn't really have any issues with the scene either, except
    I ended up using that giant wrench twice. The second time, Trevor just clobbers the poor guy in the nuts with it. It left a blood stain and everything... fuck, that had to hurt so bad.

I actually said out loud to myself "Man... I wish I hadn't done that."

I actually did each one once. I just wanted to see the different animations and results. I am aware this makes me a monster.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I didn't know you could repeat the same one, I would have done the tooth one 4 times if I knew. seems like the least painful and teeth can be 'replaced'.

• Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    I didn't know you could repeat the same one, I would have done the tooth one 4 times if I knew. seems like the least painful and teeth can be 'replaced'.

Least painful? I'd take being shocked over having my teeth pulled anyday. Yeah, being shocked hurts like hell, but the pain goes away pretty quick. When I had my wisdom tooth pulled, damn thing hurt for weeks.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Beezel wrote: »

I think the video was cut at 1:12. I could be wrong.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Least painful? I'd take being shocked over having my teeth pulled anyday. Yeah, being shocked hurts like hell, but the pain goes away pretty quick. When I had my wisdom tooth pulled, damn thing hurt for weeks.

This. The teeth pull seems like the most painful to me, at least of the ones I saw.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Its silly that you gotta exploit the system like that to make money. I would have thought there'd be more legitimate avenues of income. The properties would've bee nperfect if the income they generated was more. As it stands you don't make enough from the smaller places.

Exploits are unintended by the developers. The cutscenes are incredibly explicit about which stocks to invest in and when.
    They're also the only main set of missions you can just leave until the game is over. Every other main mission you have to complete to advance the story.
    It's obviously intentional.

Anybody who feels weird guilt about doing this needs to just relax and bath in the money.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

That guy can throw sticky bombs like a motherfucking boss.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

Yeah, I went with shocking myself. All four times. If it matters, my gf was watching and I felt awful that this was what she was seeing of the game.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    That first jump reminded me so much of San Francisco Rush

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    So I'm in Okinawa and I was working night shift for the last few months which put me on the same schedule as the States but I'm going back to dayshift so I'll be online maybe once a week at best with you guys.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

That's a pretty great video. Too bad he clearly edited together 2 different chases (fades to black around 3:45 and he goes from 4 stars to 3).

• Options

That's a pretty great video. Too bad he clearly edited together 2 different chases (fades to black around 3:45 and he goes from 4 stars to 3).

Doesn't change that both of those two videos are amazing in their own right.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Hey cousin, let's go bowling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoAJmK-YJpI

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Man I wish I'd saved Lester's 2nd mission 'til after the main plot, but what you gonna do.

I'll find more ways to get filthy fucking rich I'm sure.

I want Franklin to buy up everything (besides the character-specific property of course). There's a new boss in town.

I haven't even finished the game, but I'm looking forward to expanding his Empire once I do.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Man I wish I'd saved Lester's 2nd mission 'til after the main plot, but what you gonna do.

I'll find more ways to get filthy fucking rich I'm sure.

I want Franklin to buy up everything (besides the character-specific property of course). There's a new boss in town.

I haven't even finished the game, but I'm looking forward to expanding his Empire once I do.

Prepare to be poor for a very, very long time. Property income is pretty slow.

Or just come be poor with the rest of us in GTA:O while we wait for heists to unlock there!

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular

He mentions this right in the video description - "Note: This was recorded in 2 chases to get more cam angels"

Not only is everyone overlooking that he admits it, but also overlooking that he has personal recording angels. Baller.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    @jdarksun I have filled out the form

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So yeah, Trevor has some amazing stuff happen to him with the random events:
    I just got tazed by a guy and woke up with nothing but tightey whities on train tracks, with a train closing in. Trevor says: '' Not this again ! ''

Also, I saved a woman from a car wreck that happened because of a pawn shop heist gone bad. They were talking about it on the way to her trailer, I stopped a few feet before the marker to listen to their chatter. Responded to a text message I got and left them to talk in the background, picked up my controller and she says something in Spanish and dies. Was about to load a save, because I think she would've been hireable for heists, but Trevor quips: '' My Spanish is a bit rusty, but I think that means you're dead. '' I laughed and continued playing.

I love Trevor.

Jurgen_ on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Jurgen_ wrote: »
    I just got tazed by a guy and woke up with nothing but tightey whities on train tracks, with a train closing in. Trevor says: '' Not this again ! ''

Also, I saved a woman from a car wreck that happened because of a pawn shop heist gone bad. They were talking about it on the way to her trailer, I stopped a few feet before the marker to listen to their chatter. Responded to a text message I got and left them to talk in the background, picked up my controller and she says something in Spanish and dies. Was about to load a save, because I think she would've been hireable for heists, but Trevor quips: '' My Spanish is a bit rusty, but I think that means you're dead. '' I laughed and continued playing.

I love Trevor.

Yeah uh about that lady.
    She's the best driver in the game. Near max stats and only wants 5%.
    You burn with the desire to have her in your crew.
    Reload.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I wish they had bowling in this game. I love bowling.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

yeah but being electrocuted can fuck you up for life, like severe nerve damage and what not

I mean don't get me wrong I cringed at the tooth pulling, but I'd rather not risk paralyzing the dude

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Observation regarding Trevor's more violent outbursts:
    These episodes tend to occur after he's had an emotional hit

When we first get to Trevor he just found out Michael's still alive, obviously a very emotional moment. This sets of the controversial intro where he kills Johny and the entire Lost chapter, plus pretty much everything around him for whatever reason he can think of.

The second emotional hit is after he has to give Patricia back, which affects him a lot. Immediately after this he baits Floyd and Debra in a fight and brutally murders the both of them.

The third emotional hit is after he confronts Michael at the cemetery. Afterwards Franklin asks to meet him, Trevor falls over the gate, Franklin laughs, and Trevor straight up would've killed Franklin if F hadn't quickly diffused the situation. Trevor is a lot more unhinged and dangerous to everyone whenever he's had an emotional moment he needs to process.

Maybe there's more examples like that, but I haven't gotten that far in the game yet!

PreciousBodilyFluids on
  • Options
    @jdarksun I, too, have filled out the form(s).

steam_sig.png
  • Options

yeah but being electrocuted can fuck you up for life, like severe nerve damage and what not

I mean don't get me wrong I cringed at the tooth pulling, but I'd rather not risk paralyzing the dude

If I had to choose one, I would probably choose waterboarding. I know it sucks and is very painful/scary, but it leaves the least permanent damage.

Listen to us contemplating which torture technique we would choose.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This game has dealt me a pretty amazing Trevor side story.

I drove past the monster truck style car the other day, out in the desert. It was perfect. Franklin and Michael both have awesome cars now, and nothing really fit "Trevor with some money" like this truck. It was perfect for him.

I stole it, chromed it up, repainted it, new horn, all that. It was Trevor's awesome car.

On the way home, Trevor hit a pedestrian, honestly by accident, that resulted in a chase with the police. Because I was in Trevor's amazing new monster truck, I decided the quickest way to lose the cops was by ditching the road, and heading up the hills. This worked amazingly, until I crested a hill, and plunged deep into the ocean below.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo. Such a waste of a truck.

Two real life days have passed.

Today I was playing as Trevor, when I saw the car again. There it is! Trevor hijacked it, and I immediately took it to the nearest auto shop. Re-did the whole job, and was so happy. Next stop, the garage to save this bad boy.

On the way, I saw a random event. I slowed down.
    The guy yelled "hey can I get a ride?"

I still have never actually delivered anyone to the cult, so I thought this was perfect. I pulled over.

The man stole the car, and drove away as I shot at my baby, my beautiful prize, and it faded over the horizon.

Trevor WILL have his car. And when he does, it will be glorious.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    It is starting to get kind of morbid.

• Options
    So I had a random encounter, and I don't think it ended right.
    Picked up some random girl in the dessert who needed a ride to the hollywood sign. She talked a lot about her boyfriend and at one point her boyfriend called and accused her of cheating on him with me. When I got to the top of the hollywood sign mountain, he wanted to fight. So I fought him and won.

Then nothing. No further dialogue. Nothing more from the girl. It was very anti-climactic. Is that how it was supposed to end?

• Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    Jurgen_ wrote: »

I love Trevor.

Yeah uh about that lady.
    Reload.

Too late now, sadly. Maybe when I play the game again, I'll do it right.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Yeah uh about that lady.
    Reload.
    Awww damnit. She died on me too, like a metre from her destination, and I thought it was scripted to happen like that.
    If only I'd being driving a better car at the time. I think I was driving a truck, didn't realise there was a hidden time limit. :(

• Options
    Picked up some random girl in the dessert who needed a ride to the hollywood sign. She talked a lot about her boyfriend and at one point her boyfriend called and accused her of cheating on him with me. When I got to the top of the hollywood sign mountain, he wanted to fight. So I fought him and won.

Then nothing. No further dialogue. Nothing more from the girl. It was very anti-climactic. Is that how it was supposed to end?

You took her to the wrong place.

She must be cleansed.

• Options

You should take as many hitch-hikers as you can to the Altruist Camp as Trevor. It eventually gets you a suitcase with $25,000 in it (which maybe re-spawns), and a free RPG.

• Options
    CarbonFire wrote: »

You took her to the wrong place.

She must be cleansed.

Nah.
    It was Franklin, and I had already killed all the altruists after they tried to kidnap Tony... I mean Trevor

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »

You should take as many hitch-hikers as you can to the Altruist Camp as Trevor. It eventually gets you a suitcase with $25,000 in it (which maybe re-spawns), and a free RPG.

There are 3 cases, not 1.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    On my in game stat meter, I'm 14/14 in Random Encounters.

I still keep coming up on robberys and that kind of thing, but I swear half the stuff I'm reading in the spoilers for your random encounters I didnt come across. I wish they were named like Red Dead's and I could see if I'm just being super forgetful, or what's going on.

EDIT: I found the stats on the site. Spoiled for those who don't want to know what any of the total numbers are:
    Random Events: 14/14
    Strangers and Freaks: 13/20
    Misc: 5/16

Those are the 3 categories I was most curious about. I can't believe under 50% of the way I'm done with random events. But I have no idea if some of these things you guys are describing are in other categories:
    Hollywood sign girl I am fairly positive I NEVER had. I've done a bunch of "Trevor drives home drunk people", like 5-6 of them, and always took them home, so I may be stuck having never gone to the cult.

The catch-22 of it all is that I can't LOOK UP what I'm missing because I'll spoil it, but I am tormented by the fact I don't know what counts as what.

TRIPLE EDIT:

Just googled "List of Random Events", since nothing would be spoiled if I was done with them. I found this:

"There are a total of 57 Random Events. You need to complete 14, can be any 14, to achieve a 100% in your checklist."

Hopefully the others still happen!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Do those random events happen again? I know I've taken down purse theives at lease twice in one area. And stole the bag out of security vans a few times now.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I just noticed that my Franklin has four times more drive-by kills than Michael or Trevor.

I feel a bit awkward.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Nah guys the stats are only for what counts as 100%. You only need to do 14 of them to count.

There's a hell of a lot more than 14.

I did my final stock thingy with the guy you take to the airport who gives you a stock tip. This whole time doing the stocks Michael was ahead, but the stocks dropped 5% by the time I switched to him this time so he is now ten million under everyone else.

Total is around 260-275 million.

Each.

I now have only one problem

Who gets to buy the golf course.

I'm thinking Trevor.

Just because it would be funny. "IM HERE FOR MY FREE GOLF AND MONEY. YOU! RANDOM RICH FUCKER! PLAY ME AT GOLF!"

Michael is going to buy all the movie theatres, of course.

I'm so excited now I get to buy everything up and play around with my new stuff.
    The airfield that Trevor bought has a kind of mini story that revolves around the smuggling. You get to know the different factions involved and you get some exposition every trip. They put so much effort into them. There is a lot of talking.

OH OH but first I'm buying the mod shop business so my franklin gets free car upgrades and I can upgrade a bunch of different cars to see what all these babies are really capable of.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There's 57 random events according to the checklist on the social site. The game just wants 14 for 100% completion. Which is damn reasonable of them.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
This discussion has been closed.