Options

[GTA5] Old thread, ready to lock.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Resorting to crime, fir me, is inexcusable. This is why i tend to be a bit severe in my judgments of video game protagonists. I understand that not everyone shares my morals and i do not judge, but to me every GTA protagonist is a parasite at best and a villain at worst

Ghandi was a criminal. Hard for me to see things in such concrete terms.

Also, regarding "revenge" as motivation, what about justice? What's the difference between justice and revenge? A trial? What if, like with Handsome Jack, a trial was impossible? Is it still purely revenge to kill him?

Well circumstances have to be taken into consideration. I agree with justice when it is intended to protect the populace, when it is intended as revenge it falls flat for me.
    Is not perfect, nothing is, i can think of many scenarios where the idea has been or will be challenged, does not negate it. Everything has exceptions. Thou shalt not kill, however an army is necessary. The world is a complex place. GTA protagonists do not fight for rights, they do not want to improve the world around them. They want to get stuff for themselves and be badasses, not good guys or antiheroes in any way

Just throwing this out there, criminality or law breaking really has nothing to do with pop culture depictions of what makes a hero, anti hero, or villain protag. Han Solo is literally a drug smuggler and he helped saved the galaxy and got the girl.

The rule of thumb is, "Could this character be unquestionably the villain of the story if the point of view was different?" If so, you have a villain protagonist. I'm not talking Disney, "oh this poor soul is just misunderstood" stuff, I'm talking this character is Scarface, and story is from his perspective.

Imagine if Breaking Bad was about the good cop Hank and his weird stressed out family life only to discover his dorky, weak brother-in-law was really behind all the meth stuff he was dealing with (and set up correctly), does it still work as a story? Yes.

Oh yeah i totally agree. Could only watch two episodes of Breaking Bad
    As i said i just have little to no sympathy for criminals. No big deal, GTA is a crime simulator
    Halleck wrote: »
    This must be the only place that is discussing the moral alignment of GTA characters. Everyplace I see they are talking about getting 5 stars and living. And Strip Clubs.

That's why this community rocks. Even when we disagree, people are busting out with interesting stuff left and right. Food for thought is the BEST food.

We need substance to go with our strip clubs. It's just how the game is played.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Suddenly realizing that people weren't calling Wade a man-whore when they called him a Juggalo, kept thinking they were saying gigolo.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It's a bit confusing because I can only remember one time he actually has Juggalo face paint, although later in the game [70%]
    he tells the strippers how much hotter they'd look with face paint.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    awesome random event in the mountains
    i was driving an ATV around as trevor when i heard gunshots, pull up and see red dots on the road. as get there all but one dot dissapears. bodies were strewn all over- a gang shootout just went down. i walked over the last dot, it was a guy bleeding out. he warned me not to touch the briefcase on the ground, and then died. i snagged it... 25k inside!

drive away merry as fuck, continue doing jack shit when SUDDENLY- two trucks come out of nowhere and run me off the road. the gang was here for their money, and trevor wasn't gonna give it up. i killed them all, but now the cops are on me.

i lead them on an intense chase to the docks and ramp off into the ocean, dive underwater and lose my 2 stars. baller.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    There needs to be DLC where Trevor buys Wade some ice cream.
    i was driving an ATV around as trevor when i heard gunshots, pull up and see red dots on the road. as get there all but one dot dissapears. bodies were strewn all over- a gang shootout just went down. i walked over the last dot, it was a guy bleeding out. he warned me not to touch the briefcase on the ground, and then died. i snagged it... 25k inside!

drive away merry as fuck, continue doing jack shit when SUDDENLY- two trucks come out of nowhere and run me off the road. the gang was here for their money, and trevor wasn't gonna give it up. i killed them all, but now the cops are on me.

i lead them on an intense chase to the docks and ramp off into the ocean, dive underwater and lose my 2 stars. baller.
    No Country for Old Men shout out.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular

watch no country for old men. doooooo it

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Resorting to crime, fir me, is inexcusable. This is why i tend to be a bit severe in my judgments of video game protagonists. I understand that not everyone shares my morals and i do not judge, but to me every GTA protagonist is a parasite at best and a villain at worst

Ghandi was a criminal. Hard for me to see things in such concrete terms.

Also, regarding "revenge" as motivation, what about justice? What's the difference between justice and revenge? A trial? What if, like with Handsome Jack, a trial was impossible? Is it still purely revenge to kill him?

Well circumstances have to be taken into consideration. I agree with justice when it is intended to protect the populace, when it is intended as revenge it falls flat for me.
    Is not perfect, nothing is, i can think of many scenarios where the idea has been or will be challenged, does not negate it. Everything has exceptions. Thou shalt not kill, however an army is necessary. The world is a complex place. GTA protagonists do not fight for rights, they do not want to improve the world around them. They want to get stuff for themselves and be badasses, not good guys or antiheroes in any way

Just throwing this out there, criminality or law breaking really has nothing to do with pop culture depictions of what makes a hero, anti hero, or villain protag. Han Solo is literally a drug smuggler and he helped saved the galaxy and got the girl.

The rule of thumb is, "Could this character be unquestionably the villain of the story if the point of view was different?" If so, you have a villain protagonist. I'm not talking Disney, "oh this poor soul is just misunderstood" stuff, I'm talking this character is Scarface, and story is from his perspective.

Imagine if Breaking Bad was about the good cop Hank and his weird stressed out family life only to discover his dorky, weak brother-in-law was really behind all the meth stuff he was dealing with (and set up correctly), does it still work as a story? Yes.

Oh yeah i totally agree. Could only watch two episodes of Breaking Bad
    As i said i just have little to no sympathy for criminals. No big deal, GTA is a crime simulator
    Halleck wrote: »
    This must be the only place that is discussing the moral alignment of GTA characters. Everyplace I see they are talking about getting 5 stars and living. And Strip Clubs.

That's why this community rocks. Even when we disagree, people are busting out with interesting stuff left and right. Food for thought is the BEST food.

We need substance to go with our strip clubs. It's just how the game is played.

Strip clubs cannot be enjoyed until you figure out the strippers' motivations by carefully analyzing their dance moves

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    So does anyone know if it's possible to get scuba gear up to the Alamo Sea? I want to go diving for
    the Merryweather cargo plane wreckage.
    I've combed the beaches and docks but haven't found anything. I guess I could try driving the dingy up river from the pier up north...

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I want to be able to buy/get the giant boat from one of the early missions.

I want the police helicopters to be slightly less tenacious/respawnable and the foot cops to be more tenacious (but less bullet happy). Then the police chases would be perfect.

I do not want to have to decide between playing this and other things.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    So does anyone know if it's possible to get scuba gear up to the Alamo Sea? I want to go diving for
    the Merryweather cargo plane wreckage.
    I've combed the beaches and docks but haven't found anything. I guess I could try driving the dingy up river from the pier up north...

You might try going up the Lago Zancudo, the delta is just south of Fort Zancudo. IIRC it's got some rapids, but not as drastic as Raton Canyon.

Or you might try hooking a Cargobob to the mini sub, but I don't know if the winch works outside of the main story mission it's used in.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So I couldn't help but notice in one mission, eventually, you control a train.

I... Wonder if you can hi-jack a train normally. And whether this could be a hilarious thing to do in Online. Imagine a ton of cop cars on your ass, you give your guy in the train the go ahead and right after you drive past the tracks.... BAM! Instant barricade.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I occasionally drive past the Epsilon compound and throw tear gas cans into the little gathering that's outside the front door sometimes. Just to remind them who's the big man.

Kifflom, motherfuckers

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    It's a bit confusing because I can only remember one time he actually has Juggalo face paint, although later in the game [70%]

There's also a point at around 60% where
    Trevor's driving him to the strip club and they're talking about how they met. Wade mentions how him and his friends were passing through town on their way to a "gathering". Sounded fairly innocuous but seemed like a fairly obvious nod towards the gathering.

• Options

I have, but now I totally made the connection

woah

• Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    I've been experimenting with creative use of the faceplant button, and realised falling into sitting NPCs instantly kills them. Not that we're left wanting for methods of murder, but you can kill multiple people in a single clumsy dive with the right approach.

I love abusing systemic nonsense in these games. One of my favourites from GTA IV was shoving every taxi I saw (guaranteed driver agro) and kiting around the mob of angry cab drivers until they accidentally punched one another and started brawling.

Oh, and thanks to (presumably) @jdarksun for the crew invite. I won't let you down, at least until I get greedy and spiral out of control.

• Options

I have, but now I totally made the connection

woah

They even shot the goddamn dog

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5diT7Gkas&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Trevor is like a human version of Nice Pete from Achewood

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    So. I found a thing. The AI can't handle trains. Sitting with 5 stars right now the game is running as I post this. Trevor is just crouched with his machine gun in one of the container beds after taking down like 10 choppers. The AI just can't handle the train loop. You're pretty much totally safe on a train.

I managed to lose a 4 star by just crouching and not firing. Not sure if the 5 star will go away in time. I think the tunnel in mirror park should be long enough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    you know what would be funny? end game spoiler do not read you didn't beat it
    If Trevor did actually write to his mom and she was guilt tripping him. I would give all my money from the bank heist just to read them and to see Trevor's reaction if he found out.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I didn't finish all of the missions before beating the game but when I finished the last mission and went to his trailer I met her. Hilarious the absolute last thing I was expecting at that point.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    So I think Rockstar made a fatal error with the way the game loads saves, let me tell you my story to save anyone else from heart ache.

I have an actual save from right after the Paleto Bay Score that I saved on 9/22, but I've been mostly just using the auto save feature since I tend to quit after a mission. I was playing with my xbox offline after unplugging and moving the xbox earlier, so it was at the system default time and I just started to collect the pieces needed for the Big One heist. I turned the game off, moved the system back to the TV that the xbox can get on the internet at (wired only), then turned the game back on. I believe the autosave was dated as 11/22/2005 (the day the 360 released, and the default date for the 360) so when GTA5 loaded it loaded the newest save by date instead of game completion which was at least 20 gameplay hours old, but I didn't notice right away since the game loaded as Trevor in an area I hadn't been before and right next to a letter scrap I hadn't collected yet. I grabbed the letter, told the game to autosave where it always had (Harddrive instead of the Cloud), and then I decided to look on the social club for the last 10 or so letters I needed. It showed I had only 1 letter scrap collected, the one I just picked up.

I think because of the way it selects the load to use, and me not noticing right away, I lost at least 25% game completion, 30ish letter scraps and UFO pieces, and countless random events because the game decided to load the newest dated save instead of the save with the largest completion. This has also killed my drive to play the game anymore since I hate redoing large sections of games I just completed.

Don't let this happen to you kids, it really fucking sucks.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Yeah just ducked a five star wanted level by sitting on a train. If there are any online records for longest wanted times or whatever there ya go. Hop on a train.

They will have to update the way the police handle that or something.

21 minute 5 star wanted level.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    ugh I hate helicopters

re: big heist

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »

There's also a point at around 60% where
    Trevor's driving him to the strip club and they're talking about how they met. Wade mentions how him and his friends were passing through town on their way to a "gathering". Sounded fairly innocuous but seemed like a fairly obvious nod towards the gathering.

I didn't know the Gathering had so many artist I like. Too bad the other people there are complete idiots or I would go.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Just played Franklin's 'Grass Roots' mission.
    Gotta love his reaction, or lack of it. You'd think if anything, Trevor'd be the one who told him that shit was weak and just drove off. Considering he's been hanging out in the desert hitting the hard stuff for at least ten years.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Just played Franklin's 'Grass Roots' mission.
    Gotta love his reaction, or lack of it. You'd think if anything, Trevor'd be the one who told him that shit was weak and just drove off. Considering he's been hanging out in the desert hitting the hard stuff for at least ten years.
    Different drugs have different effects on different neurochemicals so taking one kind of drug wont necessarily build up resistance to another. On his own admission, Trevor never smokes and only takes speed.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    well there was that one transition where I found trevor in his trailer smoking meth...

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    well I don't want to assume it was meth, could have easily been crack

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Just did my first Dom mission with Franklin.
    That dog.
    'Hello, boy.'
    *Woof.*
    'What's that, boy? There's a guy stuck in a tree?'
    *Woof.*
    'And he needs my help?'
    *Woof.*
    'Part of you would rather leave him there, 'cause he's a bit of a dick?'
    *Woof.*
    'But you're doing your civic duty?'
    *Woof.*
    'Okay, show me. I have lost my damned mind.'
    *Woof.*
    'What, boy? He just jumped out of a fucking helicopter?'
    *Woof.*
    'His parachute failed to open?'
    *Woof.*
    'And now you kind of wish he'd missed the tree?'
    *Woof.*
    'But morality is a human construct and you're not hardwired to think that way? I can't believe I'm getting smart-talked by a fucking dog.'
    *Woof.*
    'Say what?'
    *Woof.*
    'Wait, you talkin' about my kind of bitches or yours?'
    *Woof.*
    'This shit is getting weird now, man.'

Also, the bike ride down the mountain was awesome, I overtook him on the last checkpoint, and that was after wiping out after I ran straight into a rock.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Just did my first Dom mission with Franklin.
    That dog.
    'Hello, boy.'
    *Woof.*
    'What's that, boy? There's a guy stuck in a tree?'
    *Woof.*
    'And he needs my help?'
    *Woof.*
    'Part of you would rather leave him there, 'cause he's a bit of a dick?'
    *Woof.*
    'But you're doing your civic duty?'
    *Woof.*
    'Okay, show me. I have lost my damned mind.'
    *Woof.*
    'What, boy? He just jumped out of a fucking helicopter?'
    *Woof.*
    'His parachute failed to open?'
    *Woof.*
    'And now you kind of wish he'd missed the tree?'
    *Woof.*
    'But morality is a human construct and you're not hardwired to think that way? I can't believe I'm getting smart-talked by a fucking dog.'
    *Woof.*
    'Say what?'
    *Woof.*
    'Wait, you talkin' about my kind of bitches or yours?'
    *Woof.*
    'This shit is getting weird now, man.'

Also, the bike ride down the mountain was awesome, I overtook him on the last checkpoint, and that was after wiping out after I ran straight into a rock.
    I nearly fell out of my chair at that part. It's... perfect.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So.
    Basically.
    Like.

I have 214 million dollars now.

I'm about to have more.

If i hadn't already done the first optional assassination mission (the very first one is mandatory so don't try to save that) I'd probably have the full billion +. That 300% is a real pain to have missed out on.

But eh, this is more than enough to buy everything and change so I'm good.

Plus a bunch of tanks with whats left over.

Like.

Plural.

Tanks
    well I don't want to assume it was meth, could have easily been crack

There's forms of meth you can smoke.

Also meth is speed. Methamphetamine.
    And he specifically said he doesn't take crack either. Pretty sure this is in a hangout conversation I had with him and Franklin.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Trevor's real estate guy sidequests are magical. He seems genuinely taken aback that there is someone out there as morally bankrupt as he is.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    So I was street racing last night, and wow, the brakes on Franklin's default car are terrible! I'm getting a little better about smartly using his special ability in the races, but I still ended up with his car wedged into one of those basement staircase things.

Oh well. I switched to Michael and did the yoga mission.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    So.
    Basically.
    Like.

I have 214 million dollars now.

I'm about to have more.

If i hadn't already done the first optional assassination mission (the very first one is mandatory so don't try to save that) I'd probably have the full billion +. That 300% is a real pain to have missed out on.

But eh, this is more than enough to buy everything and change so I'm good.

How in the hell did you do that without exploiting the assassination missions?!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »

How in the hell did you do that without exploiting the assassination missions?!

*cough*Totally sploited dude *cough*

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Its silly that you gotta exploit the system like that to make money. I would have thought there'd be more legitimate avenues of income. The properties would've bee nperfect if the income they generated was more. As it stands you don't make enough from the smaller places.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    DthaSUv.jpg
    How many trucks could a tow-truck tow if a tow-truck could tow trucks?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    DthaSUv.jpg
    How many trucks could a tow-truck tow if a tow-truck could tow trucks?

Xzibit.jpg

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    CleveraliasCleveralias Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    First thing I did when I got Trevor was shave his head. By the time he buys the strip club (after rural bank) it's started to grow back.
    This game.

Cleveralias on
    jpg.jpg
    XBox360/One/Steam - Cleveralias
    PSN - The_Vandingo
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I had a great scenario last night, walking around I see some maniac just drive into a parking lot, curb the car, and come to a crashing halt in the road. I walk over to him and say "I gotta get this drunk maniac off the road". Jack his car, and he starts chasing me on foot. I'm laughing and driving slowly as he chases me, finally i tear ass around the block. Drive back to the same spot I jacked him, and he runs around the corner still determined to get me back.

I'm cracking up at this doofus, so I drive around the block again, and spot a hooker. I pick her up, do the nasty a few times in his car, and then take off. I drive around the corner AND THERE HE IS AGAIN, still chasing me. I'm fucking howling so I stop the car, get out and say "here you go man, sorry for the stain on the drivers seat".

Guy just runs right at me, rears back and DROPS me with ONE haymaker. WASTED. Absolutely hilarious, it's like my constant teasing made him hulk up over time. I had to give him respect for not backing down.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

The timing of Trevor's dealing with
    Floyd and Debra seemed pretty purposeful; by the time that come up I had started to see Trevor as a happy go lucky funster with some personality quirks. That whole scenario with them branishing weapons and Trevor's leaving the apartment afterwards quickly made it apparent what Trevor really is, and what he is capable of, disabusing me of my previous humourous take on him.

So I'm at the end of it all, and knocking out sidequests. What properties have missions associated? I show Franklin as having one mission open, but have no idea what it is - there's no map markers.

This discussion has been closed.