As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of The Halloween Thread is true.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Pretty good

I've been a real emotional whackadoo lately, hence the failure to keep the Halloween spirit alive

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    We are carving pumpkins tonight! My boyfriend has never done this thing so I'm very excited.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    well, halloween facts kind of petered out too, so i'm blaming myself as well

i've also completely failed to prepare any sort of costume, so i'm keeping tradition with my last 10+ halloweens

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    We are carving pumpkins tonight! My boyfriend has never done this thing so I'm very excited.

What

How

How does a person not know the joy of mutilating autumn squash

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Is this the spooky thread, or do we have another spooky thread going?
    I want to make myself afraid to sleep tonight.
    Thanks!

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    pumpkins are the most stab-able squash

even if you've never seen a jack o' lantern in your life, you take one look at a good autumn pumpkin and think "yeah, an eight-inch blade would do for that"

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm glad you're back, Snowbeat, from your weeks-long exile to what I can only assume was the home of a witch's coven

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Dude go read the short story I posted a while back by Joe R. Lansdale

Tight Little Stitches In a Dead Man's Back

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Yeah I'm probably just staying in and watching some movies

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I will be drinking on an airplane on Halloween

I may or may not change out of my wizard costume before I leave work for the airport

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Halloween night for me is gonna be playing Typing of the Dead and maybe some other things that don't matter because typing of the dead

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I will be drinking on an airplane on Halloween

I may or may not change out of my wizard costume before I leave work for the airport

Tough call.

On the one hand, getting to go through the airport + plane dressed as a wizard.

On the other, airport security.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Halloween night I'm going out on the town with a friend of mine

We're going as Tony Stark (me) and Black Widow (her)

She decided she wanted to be Black Widow about a month ago after a friend and I showed her Avengers for the first time, and she was like a kid on Christmas as soon as Black Widow showed up.

By the end of the night she decided she wanted to be her

• Options
    i'll probably stay in, since i'm currently unable to drink and (as brooklyn 99 has proven conclusively) being sober at a party of drunken people in costumes is only slightly more pleasant than falling headfirst down a steel stairway

also i have class in the morning

so instead, i'll get some scary movies and some spooky beverages. nothing more frightening than drinking faygo while watching halloween VII: the curse of michael myers' prostate exam

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    I mean I could go for a different costume

I did also pull some dragonfly wings, spiderweb gloves and a weird evil queen crown, I just don't have anything to wear them with.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'm going to just wear my harley quinn dress with black tights to work, and then going to go out and get drunk later on in the night in my fionna (girl-finn) costume

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go as me since we don't really do Halloween around here

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Need to wash my clown costume tonight.

Though with the shirts I picked up recently, realized I might be able to do a good Jack Torrance. It would be wasted on the kids though.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Meet the new Taiwanese Special Forces/Dark Army.

412tRhN.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    imagine forgetting to brush your teeth in the morning and then having to spend the day wearing one of those masks

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    taiwanese special forces announce partnership with big red gum

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    ugh, big red would make it worse

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    it would be like having a cinnamon broom directly under your nose

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    big red? i'd rather be big DEAD

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    It's gotta be terrible at the end of the day, taking that mask off and having your whole face be damp

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    and having a crick in your neck from constantly turning your head to see what's to the side of you

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Well worth the price, to look like a Hellboy villain.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I like militaries that emphasize how anonymous and totally expendable their personnel are

Hobnail on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I mean I could go for a different costume

I did also pull some dragonfly wings, spiderweb gloves and a weird evil queen crown, I just don't have anything to wear them with.

either other? roll the dice bigtime and go as a fairy princess wizard?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    My campus has started Humans vs Zombies for Halloween

There is so many zombies now that each trip to class ends with me having to break out into a dead sprint

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Makeup tests! Ignore my hair, I didn't bother. It's gonna be super neatly parted for J and just mussed all the hell up for H.

The good old doctor:
    IMG_20131029_192209_340_zps84440cf3.jpg

The psychopathic stranger:
    IMG_20131029_195417_072_zpsdfccfe2d.jpg
    Overdid the eye makeup a bit- my bags are extending too low- but you can't really see my eyes very well here. Also the lighting is terrible in this shot.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Alright kids it's the 29th of October and the slightly-less-than-that day of the countdown.

Let's dish about mother

fucking

Frankenstein

I'm sure that you will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings.

As I'm sure you all are already aware, Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus, was written by Mary Shelley while she was cooped up in a castle trying to scare the pants off of her husband, Percy Bysshe Shelley, the always fabulous Oscar Wilde, and some guy named John Polidori (he wrote one of the early vampire novels and also did some other stuff but mostly I know him from his appearance as a character in other, less good books). I am going to go ahead and admit that I have no idea if they were actually cooped up or in a castle, I just assume that the intro to Bride of Frankenstein is 100% accurate in all things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2yKqa4VSRE

Ahahahaha oh goodness I love Bride of Frankenstein just for that insane intro. ROLL YOUR R'S HARDER. It's a shame that it omitted the part where maybe when Percy died Mary got the ashes of his heart which she kept in a book until her own death. His literal heart in a literal book. I sure hope that's true because it's like the gesture that most perfectly typifies the melodrama of the Romantics.

So right. Mary writes Frankenstein after she has a dream, everyone's scared all to pieces or what have you, it gets published, people are all OOoooOOO the VAPORS. It's a really great book, actually, if you go in for the Gothic tone. I also enjoy Dracula, though, so dark nights and ponderings on mortality and humanity in flowery language are somewhat up my alley. But if this passage strikes your fancy, please give Frankenstein a chance:
    I gave vent to my anguish in fearful howlings. I was like a wild beast that had broken the toils, destroying the objects that obstructed me and ranging through the wood with a stag-like swiftness. Oh! What a miserable night I passed! The cold stars shone in mockery, and the bare trees waved their branches above me; now and then the sweet voice of a bird burst forth amidst the universal stillness. All, save I, were at rest or in enjoyment; I, like the arch-fiend, bore a hell within me, and finding myself unsympathized with, wished to tear up the trees, spread havoc and destruction around me, and then to have sat down and enjoyed the ruin.

If it doesn't, then you may as well fast-forward to the Boris Karloff film version.

TEZbAi6.jpg

It's really great. And you should watch it, because it really preps you to watch the other Frankenstein movies. Like the classic 'sequel' above. Or the Hammer Films masterpiece, Frankenstein Created Woman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0amcfPSXvU

There's a frozen Frankenstein, and some severed heads, and some really shitty singing, and nudity, and a girl with crazy scars but it's sad, and a guy named Hans which is just the worst name to have if you want to be taken seriously, because even if they take you seriously it's only to compare you to Hans Gruber. Also at one point I'm pretty sure someone or other wears a dirndl. (It's not The Monster.)

v77xAiDl.jpg

Tragically not pictured: The Monster in a dirndl.

Most importantly everyone ever can go right now, drop what they are doing, don't bother looking on youtube or Netflix (it's not there) and find a copy of Young Frankenstein.

Pa6ZxFt.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JUkfA_SaM4

This movie is worth quoting, essentially from start to finish. And if you're in my family you probably are already on top of that.

DESTINY! DESTINY! NO ESCAPING THAT FOR ME!

(Bonus bloopers video behind the cut.)

Not only that but Frankenstein has totally inspired music and stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO2cHJmDkBg

"For fuck's sake Salient, do you do anything erudite or do you just watch boobs and jokes about boobs and movies that include jokes about boobs?"

Well...

Hm.

Well here's a book about Mary Shelley and the creation of Frankenstein.

The Lady and Her Monsters was reviewed in the Times by Deborah Blum, an author whose recommendations I take quite seriously as she's extremely intelligent and imminently readable in her own right.
    Montillo is far from the first author to ponder the real-life influences on Shelley’s iconic tale; these are issues so well discussed that you can find many of them on Wikipedia. But Montillo achieves a freshness through her lively narrative approach and a fascination with long-ago science and its ethics that sparks across the pages.

Her account essentially alternates between the writing of the novel and the experiments that inspired it. Montillo begins with the discovery of electricity’s role in biology. In a classic late-18th-century experiment, the Italian physiologist Luigi Galvani hung dead frogs from his balcony during a thunderstorm. The animals were impaled on metal hooks intended to attract an electric charge as the storm flashed its way across town. In response to a lightning strike or a boom of thunder, “their legs twitched in a way that made them seem as if they were ready to hop off the balcony and into the streets below.”

There's also an interesting interview of the author about the book, here in the Christian Science monitor.

Now leave me alone to watch some boobs.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, and I almost forgot, if you're really desperate you can take The Lovely Bastard's recommendation and watch the INCREDIBLY SILLY Kenneth Branagh version of Frankenstein:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOcJwt8XB4M

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    I Love.

Young Frankenstein.

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    He would have an enormous schwanzstucker.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    What knockers!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Hey Halloween thread.

So I found pieces of a dead body in an attic today.

Turns out even archaeologists freak out when they think they've stumbled upon a murder scene. Made worse by the fact that we were 100% certain they were human remains because identifying bones is a big part of our job.

• Options
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Hey Halloween thread.

So I found pieces of a dead body in an attic today.

Turns out even archaeologists freak out when they think they've stumbled upon a murder scene. Made worse by the fact that we were 100% certain they were human remains because identifying bones is a big part of our job.

Uh.

Happy Halloweeeeeeeennnn...?
    Seriously though, that sounds kind of terrifying.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    What

That is crazy

• Options
    Ooooh my glob what? Fire Truck what? What were the circumstances and is everything uhh... not... murder-y?

RUVCwyu.jpg