As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of The Halloween Thread is true.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Meta that's a great quail man, good job

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hey friends, I'll be doing another big post tonight, and I'll also be around for watch-alongs if anyone is interested in that at, ehh, around 9:30 let us say?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm down

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    oh my god where did you get it

shop-steady.com/Default.asp

It was pricey. I got my vacation time paid out from my old job abd used it for my one vanity buy

• Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Meta that's a great quail man, good job

Thanks buddy!

4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    Bloods End wrote: »

It was pricey. I got my vacation time paid out from my old job abd used it for my one vanity buy

I... I could afford that

tell me I can't afford that

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I... I could afford that

It comes with free gloves.

I'm not sure you can afford to not buy it.

• Options
    NEVERMIND
    BUYING THE ASSASSIN'S CREED BATHROBE

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I... I could afford that

It comes with free gloves.

I'm not sure you can afford to not buy it.

I actually already have gloves like that

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    NEVERMIND

What else you gonna bro hug Da Vinci in??

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    NEVERMIND

What else you gonna bro hug Da Vinci in??

In whatever he wants to hug you in

:winky:

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Evil Dead goes off netflix streaming on the first of November

Guess I have a second excuse to watch it

(First being I'm seeing the re-make this Tuesday)

Huntera on
  • Options
    Oh wow shit kicks off quick in this movie don't it???

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Starting in 15 minutes I'll be picking a film in http://tinychat.com/seplusplusmovies, for the interested parties.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Tonight I learned that the best way to solve your ghost problems is to go down to bone town

• Options
    I am here to talk about The 25th, 26th and 27th of Scary

I had a busy weekend so now is the first chance I've had to post. On the plus side, I'm coming at you with three really good recommendations for reading.

BOTEnF9.jpg

If you're looking for some good horror that is for some reason really underdiscussed (I'm going to blame it being written by A Girl, Ew), Angela Carter was a phenomenal writer. Her collections titled American Ghosts and Old World Wonders, and The Bloody Chamber, in particular are full of gruesome or spooky tidbits. A story in The Bloody Chamber, titled Company of Wolves, was adapted for film.

In general her work explores alterations and iterations of classical fairy tales and folklore. She addresses issues of feminism, sexuality, and bloodshed and violence and so forth.

An excerpt from Fall River Axe Murders:
    On this burning morning when, after breakfast and the performance of a few household duties, Lizzie Borden will murder her parents, she will, on rising, don a simple frock that, if worn by itself, might be right for the weather. But, underneath, has a long, starched cotton petticoat; another cotton petticoat, a short one; long drawers; woolen stockings; a chemise; and a whalebone corset that takes her in an unkind hand and squeezes them very tightly.

And from The Company of Wolves:
    That long-drawn, wavering howl has, for all its fearful resonance, some inherent sadness in it, as if the beasts would love to be less beastly if only they knew how and never cease to mourn their own condition. There is a vast melancholy in the canticles of the wolves, melancholy infinite in the forest, endless as those long nights of winter and yet that ghastly sadness, that mourning for their own, irremediable appetites, can never move the heart for not one phrase in it hints at the possibility of redemption; grace could not come to the wolf from its own despair, only through some external mediator, so that, sometimes, the beast will look as if he half welcomes the knife that dispatches him.

I think American Ghosts and Old World Wonders may be out of print but if you can find a copy I very highly recommend it.

I also recently (finally) finished a book I heard about last October and was gifted (thaaanks Satan) but didn't have a chance to read until the summer. Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite is a quick and very fun work of non-fiction that talks about the scientific origins of our historical fears. The author looks at mythological and folkloric monsters like the Nemean lion and vampires, and also modern creatures of horror like aliens and symbiotes. It's informative and also, more interestingly, quite funny! The author walks the line between accuracy and believable science, and an engaging, humorous voice. That is quite rare to me, so I'd say it's worth reading. Also the hardcover version is stylishly designed.

0qFiL7L.jpg
    At their most basic level, monsters represent fears held by society, fears associated with dangers perceived in the surrounding world. These fears have a powerful evolutionary history by encouraging people to flee instead of fighting suicidal battles. When ancient hunters encountered a saber-toothed tiger by accident, they ran. When the human ancestor Homo erectus caught angry cave bears by surprise, it ran. When chimpanzees and bonobos, the nearest genetic relatives to modern humans, encounter large predators in the wild, they run. While Hollywood heroes have made running away distinctly unpopular on the silver screen, every single actor who has ever portrayed a hero who stood his or her ground against some abominable terror comes from a long genetic lineage of cowards who fled in the face of danger. That is why they are here to act today. If their ancestors had fought against monsters far more powerful than themselves, as Hollywood heroes do all the time, their lineage would have been destroyed by predators long ago. Fear, in short, keeps people alive. But fear can also go too far.
    Why is sex appeal being increasingly merged with dangerous creatures? Part of the answer presumably has to do with money. Create a frightening monster and people come to see it. Create a frightening monster with boobs, and even more people come to see it.*

*By people, I mean men.

The author was interviewed on Science Friday last year and it can be found here.

And the last book I'd say you could pick up for the season of spookiness is Lost Everything, by an author I've at least talked about in the book thread in the past, Brian Francis Slattery. He's like a more fun, easier to digest version of Cormac McCarthy, if Cormac McCarthy also liked superheroes and thought maybe someone would survive some time and didn't have the world's biggest boner for religious allegory.

W7rS3UWm.jpg

Anyway Lost Everything is his newest book of three, the first being Spaceman Blues and the second being Liberation. They all take place in drastically, apocalyptically altered versions of America. In Lost Everything, the impression is given that a climate disaster of some kind has created massive storms and ruined the majority of the country; the characters are on the East coast, which is torn by bloody civil conflict.
    He was on the river with Reverend Bauxite when the dream descended upon him, of the mountains and hills melting into the sky. The wrinkles of the land smoothed and rose, the air thickened and fell to meet it, until everything was gray, dull yet luminous, as if there was a sun behind it, though he knew there was no sun there. The whisper of the atmosphere through his ears, the reverberations of the earth, the last echoes of voices all came together in a fading thrum, the final sigh before silence. It lasted no more than a minute, but the image, the sound, would not leave him. Downstream, the ruins of the Market Street Bridge were a tangle of twisted iron, shards of bony concrete jutting from the water. If the bridge goes down, you’ll know we tried, Aline had said. Ten pounds of plastic explosive tied around her chest with a purple scarf. Upstream, the spindles of other bridges, the dark hills sliding into the water, the water itself a field of slate, the same color as the sky, promising storms. He looked down into the current, leaned over and let it wrap around his knuckles. The river was a rope, pulling him through the last hills, the submerged towns and factories, the stunted fields lined with sparse trees, all softened by rain. The leaning house where he was raised. The dead in the driveway. His sister in the window with a rifle, eyes closed and listening, as though she could hear it all. The cries and rumbles of the ruins of the coastal cities, the heads of the buildings on fire while the seawater surged around their knees. The roads snapping between the stony fingers of the shifting hills. The last houses groaning as the roots of the trees pulled them off their foundations, then rushed over the roofs and chimneys, pushing the walls down. Everyone, all of us, trying to speak at once. We are here. We are all here. Even after everything, we are all still here.

I'd say that I enjoyed Spaceman Blues and Liberation slightly more than Lost Everything, but Lost Everything is slightly more of the horrifying scare bent than the others.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Okay, so, I did some makeup work tonight for my costume

And I am less than happy with how things turned out

Or rather, things turned out mostly okay, but end up looking pretty subtle, and I don't think that'll work all too well

I'm doing a Jekyll/Hyde thing, in which I switch halfway through the night, using a old school doctor's bag with a bunch of makeup in it to change myself up

So the goal is stuff that I can do fairly quickly, which prevents me from doing putty or prosthetics work, and I can't grow a five o'clock shadow in five minutes in a bathroom

Currently I've got bagged eyes, with a red liner on the undereye to make them look hella nasty, and reddened cheeks and nose (thematically, I was initially basing my costuming around long term drug usage)

I'm probably going to try to find some of the actual correct tooth makeup as well, which might honestly be enough to remedy things

But does anyone have any suggestions

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    How big is the doctor's bag? Any other props do you plan on using?
    Glasses?
    Maybe a collapsible cane of sorts?

Best way to sell it would be to change your gait/walking style and mannerisms after the change (obviously).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I wish all the paranormal boards I like to browse updated more quickly. I NEEDA GET SPOOKED

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I have glasses for the Dr half

And yeah, this is mostly a mannerisms thing, and will probably work out pretty well that way

I tend to do acting heavy costumes

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    According to the legend, Sawney Bean was born in East Lothian, Scotland in the 16th century. Unable to make an honest living Bean moved to a cave in the wilderness with his wife were he took up a career as a highwayman. He would ambush and rob any passerbys, and to ensure his location stayed secret he murdered all he robbed. Eventually Bean had a number of children with his wife, who in turn produced a number of grandchildren through incest. Soon the Bean clan reached 48 people, most of whom where born of incestuous brother and sister relationships. In order to feed 46 hungry mouths the clan turned to cannibalism, murdering and consuming any who were unfortunate to be ambushed in the nearby countryside.

In 1600 the Bean’s attacked a man and wife on horseback who were returning from a local country fair. Skilled in combat the man was able to fend off the Bean’s with his sword and pistols, although his wife was kidnapped, killed, and eaten. The traumatized man reported the events to the magistrate, who in turn reported the murder to King James IV of Scotland. King James IV organized a hunting party of 400 heavily armed soldiers and a number of hounds. When they entered the large cave they were able to corner and capture the Bean family. Scattered among the cave were various human body parts, pickled human meat, personal belongings of victims, and human bones.

The Bean clan was taken to Edinburgh, where they were locked up in Tollbooth Prison. A short time later they were executed, with the men hung, drawn, and quartered and the women burned at the stake.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Help me Halloween thread! I'm trying to remember the name of a movie I saw a couple years ago but I'm coming up with nothing.

I'm pretty sure the movie was about Halloween, and it was like, 3 or 4 different short stories that I think all took place on the same night? One was about a costume party that I think took place in the woods, and there was a character dressed like little red riding hood who turned out to be a werewolf, and I think all her buddies were werewolves and they ate a bunch of people. I think another one of the stories was about a ghost kid who stabbed a guy or something. And I remember another part where there's some kids in the woods and there were ghosts or zombies walking around?

I don't know, my memory is foggy as hell and these could be from different movies for all I know.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Trick R Treat

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    So I'm going to be Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Hunter S Thompson

Today I got the best worst Hawaiian shirt for it

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    wow

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Oh I love Ghost Shark! They need to make a crossover with Sharknado.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Trick R Treat

Sweet, thanks!

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Someone posted this in the last Halloween thread and I have loved it dearly ever since

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBk3jwNSteo

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    Cross-posting from the D&D Movie thread (which was cross-posted from the chat thread) because it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8faq5amdK30

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Someone posted this in the last Halloween thread and I have loved it dearly ever since

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBk3jwNSteo

I love it, thanks for posting this

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I bought a pumpkin on a whim a few days ago, should I take the time to carve it up y/n

In other news, Kate Beaton linked to this great old-timey radio horror drama and I like it a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ilRbcBhD9_0

There's also an MP3 download available here.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Oh dear.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Halloween Thread, today I'd like to pay tribute to the lost art of the sudden claymation freakout transformation:
    4XXutKn.gif
    ziFfCO6.gif
    Rjx4bHF.jpg
    A truly remarkable source of childhood nightmares.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    If you carve the pumpkin you can bake the seeds!

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Baked pumpkin seeds are delicious and get caught in my teeth for like a week.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Indubitably! To both of those. Also if you get lazy and don't wanna clean the seeds thoroughly, the pumpkin seeds get all caramelized and delicious because of the leftover pumpkin flesh!

• Options
    I always eat too many and then pooping is a horrible thing.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    h-hello spooky thread

how are you doing

Q1e6oi8.gif