As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of The Halloween Thread is true.

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    An attic? Whose attic?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Hey Halloween thread.

So I found pieces of a dead body in an attic today.

Turns out even archaeologists freak out when they think they've stumbled upon a murder scene. Made worse by the fact that we were 100% certain they were human remains because identifying bones is a big part of our job.

Should you really be talking about this with us? What if the police bring you in for questioning? We could all be considered accessories!

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    this is crazy:

http://imgur.com/a/vRp3R

guy moves into a converted apartment, finds a hidden hidden area.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    My company is moving into a new office space, which is a house built in 1940 that was then turned into a law office and expanded and so has all these weird nooks and crannies hidden away. I have explored the building pretty well, but my coworkers today at lunch kept joking about the "murder room." I asked about it and they said it was this hidden attic, behind the attic I had seen.

After lunch I made them promise to show me, so we head upstairs and open up the door to the attic I had seen. Off on the opposite side of it, there is a rough doorway sawed into the wall that I had failed to notice. We get flashlights out and head in. It is, as they said, a second, unfinished attic past the first. The ceiling is cluttered with huge cobwebs, various old furnishings make creepy shadows along the edges of the room, and the air stinks of rats and ancient insulation.

The pièce de résistance is the lonely rat-gnawed, 1950s-era chair situated at the dead center of the attic. A beaten-up old violin case leans against it, such that an imaginative mind can immediately conjure up narratives about sadistic torture rooms for disobedient children who did not practice their music enough.

We sit there, admiring the unsettling scene, cracking jokes about how a Norman Bates figure would seat his dead mother in the chair, and shining our flashlights around. All of a sudden my coworker starts, then laughs a little. Here flashlight is pointed down in the space between a couple ceiling beams.

"haha, that piece of wood looks kinda like a bone. 'Murder room,' am I right?"

I shine my light down where she points and stare for a moment, "That is a clavicle...

That is a human clavicle."

There is another pause as we absorb this information.

Then we both start shouting and cast our lights around, finding what look like a radius and ulna nearby, all gnawed on by rats and all unmistakably human. Our supervisor comes in to put a rest to our fears, takes one look, and immediately starts shouting at our boss, because there are human remains in her attic.

She angrily refuses to touch and examine the bones and our bioanthropologist is phoned. In the confusion, another coworker looks in. He reaches down and picks up the clavicle and turns it over.

a couple of metal latches are set into its underside. It was an old medical display skeleton. Still literal human bones, but probably not a murder scene. After a bunch of hullabaloo, the sheriff is called and he comes to take the remains. Searching the rest of the attic we find an awesome old yearbook from 1931, and I am in the process of trying to figure out if its owner is still alive.

An Interesting Day.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    completely unrelated, I am rewatching some of the older x files in Halloween celebration. Its crazy how creepy that music and that show still is. Some of it is just hilarious though. Specifically on the scenes that show anyone typing, all with just 2 fingers.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    CosCos Registered User regular
    I started working for a historic foundation over the summer, and we have several historic house museums we manage and use as offices. When my boss told me that the houses are scary at night, I didn't really believe her until we had a long day and were the only ones there, in the attic of the dark house. She was most certainly not lying.

I'm still not sure why, but even in the daylight, the creepiest part of the house are the old, beaten up furnishings in the house. There's a rusted away stove in the basement where we keep all our brochures, and we've got a former bathroom in the attic that we use to store signs, complete with a tub, sink, and toilet. I really do not understand why they make me uncomfortable every time I see them.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Hey Halloween thread.

So I found pieces of a dead body in an attic today.

Turns out even archaeologists freak out when they think they've stumbled upon a murder scene. Made worse by the fact that we were 100% certain they were human remains because identifying bones is a big part of our job.

Should you really be talking about this with us? What if the police bring you in for questioning? We could all be considered accessories!
    The butler did it!

• Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    DE?AD wrote: »
    An attic? Whose attic?

ur momma's

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    YOU WILL SUBMIT TO YOUR LORD!
    20131026_225625_zps54ce7106.jpg

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Sadly, that is the only picture I have of myself from that night.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The restaurant I recently worked at was one of those old-style drugstore/lunch counter things, and the building has a second floor that used to be a doctor's office but is now just used for storage of random junk. Sometimes they like to try and spook new employees by telling them about the ghost of a woman in a 1930's nurse's uniform who hangs around upstairs

Bullshit ghost stories aside, what was actually creepy was the fact that a bunch of medical shit was still just left up there when the doc's practice packed it in. Right next to the top of the old spiral staircase leading up there was a wheeled cart that still had a tray of syringes and scalpels laid out. There are still bottles of various solutions lined up in rows in a few places. A small metal chair in one of the back rooms, in the corner, facing away from the door.

Shit like that.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yiiikes.

Also tonight I have to do a bunch of last work stuff on the computer before leaving town tomorrow if anyone wants to watch a movie while I do that.

Also also tonight's post theme is going to be cannibals.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    halloween partiiiieees!!!

*goes into weeklong blackout*

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Back to Young Frankenstein for a moment, the first time I visited Seattle we went and saw Young Frankenstein The Musical. It was awesome.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Tomorrow I'm going straight to Austin, TX from work so you guys will have to ring in Halloween without me. But to make up for it, may I give you...

The Dirty 30th Of Halloween

hKEf3K3.jpg

In The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, Albus Dumbledore is a huge asshole with the manners of... well, of a huge asshole. He owns a restaurant. He's married to Helen Mirren, who is super classy and hates her crappy wizard husband. She falls in love with the voice of the Ring from Lord of the Rings, but he has a body and is actually named Alan Howard and he owns a bookstore and is quite lovely. Unfortunately Albus Dumbledore is still totally an asshole and when he finds out he kills him. Then Helen Mirren enlists the titular cook, has her lover's body cooked, and forces Dumbledore to eat it.

I really love the style with which this film is crafted. It's got some wonderful tracking shots, like the one below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkqOgFGle_c

And Helen Mirren is basically fantastic in everything. Admittedly it's also a bit of an odd film and it's not exactly fast-paced, but it's well-worth it for the cannibal connoisseur.

Let's rotate our form of media and talk about literature! There are lots of books wherein people are consumed. Anthropophagy is a thing throughout human history so it figures it'd turn up all over the place. And while real stories like Alive are fascinating I'm just going to assume you can look into all that on your own and focus on the fictional retellings. A short story called Go, Go, Go Said the Bird is by Sonya Dorman and doesn't end well for anyone. The title comes from T. S. Eliot so I was predisposed to enjoy the thing right out the gate, let's be honest.
    Seizing the shriek in her stained teeth, she ran away, in spite of the voices crying after her from every crevice and glittering façade. Faces at the broken windows became a collage of grins as she ran, still holding the shriek between her teeth, determined not to let it escape. Her heels ached from pounding down the concrete highways, leaping over cracks and gaps in what used to be the most traveled road in the country.

Oh no, no, she sobbed as she ran.

Bindweed grasped her ankles and she tore it loose with frantic fingers and ran on.

Choices appeared at the roadside, the entrances to burrows, underground shanties. Once some thing flew down and landed near her, beckoning, but she shut her teeth on the writhing shriek and looked straight ahead, down the length of the cracked roadbed, with its overgrown promenades at each side. She would continue on the obvious path, for fear of being lost beyond help.

Here, chickie, here, chickie, called an old woman, beckoning, grinning, offering her a hidey-hole, perhaps at the expense of her hide, for she was still young, and succulent.

It is... a pretty unnerving story to tell you the truth. Read if you enjoy: creepy things, apocalyptic visions, being mildly disturbed. Avoid if you dislike: people reduced to animalistic states, people without teeth, fleeing for your life.

Musical interlude!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh5LMRTtdmI

Cannibal Dolls is a song by coldwave group Land of Giants. Land of Giants were a Canadian band who just had the one album but it's pretty crazy good, if you're into things that are so obscure just liking them makes people hate you.

"Okay, so cannibalism has some good music. I'm not in the mood for anything this dark and weird, you crazy fuck."

Alright, I understand. It's okay. Cannibalism can be funny, too! And engaging! And pop cultural! See, even the comedy giants Monty Python had a sketch about eating people. (They actually had two but this one below is my personal favourite - the other is called Lifeboat and is of course also on YouTube if you need to watch it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWWg5shNWR4

The X-Files did an episode about eating people, also! It was like Soylent Green plus Fargo kind of. The episode Our Town is from the second season. Mulder and Scully go to investigate the exceedingly unusual happenings of the hometown of Chaco Chicken. A bunch of the townspeople are coming down with Creutzfeld-Jakob disease, which is transmitted through a variety of methods... one of which being cannibalism. Eat people, go crazy, dump 'em in the lake. It is one of my favourite monster-of-the-week episodes.

There is so much ground to cover in this topic, guys. I don't even know where to hop next. Let's dish (HAH) on another medium: comic books! The series Chew is basically phenomenal. Here is the synopsis, and I am reluctant to say more:
    Set in a world where all chicken and other bird meats are illegal, after a catastrophic outbreak of the bird flu that killed 23 million Americans, Chew centers on Tony Chu, a police detective who is a Cibopath. A Cibopath can take a bite from anything and get a psychic sensation of what has happened to that object.

A bite from anything, if you know what I mean. It's helpful in solving murders... if you know what I mean.

mbw6rEYl.jpg

Chew is super clever and I really like it!

Oh goodness. There is so much more I want to talk about but this post is getting out of hand. To be brief: Ravenous is another fantastic horror film about eating people. Guy Pearce is a U.S. army officer during the Mexican-American War, and through a confluence of circumstances has to fight or become a wendigo, in the short version of the plot. Jeffrey Jones is in it and he's a real creeper. Neal McDonough is in it and I have had a weird thing for him since Band of Brothers.

The Korean film I Saw the Devil stars Choi Min-sik (the star of Oldboy) and another guy whose name escapes me. It's about a serial killer and one man's obsession with capturing him after he murders his fiancee. There's some cannibalism tangentially. It's actually mostly just a completely insane movie. If you dislike violent revenge and also pooping, maybe skip it. If you enjoyed Oldboy and think Choi Min-sik is amazing (he is) then you may want to check this out, as it was his major cinema return after a self-imposed exile.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Oh crap I forgot to talk about Delicatessen. Um. Everyone go see Delicatessen it's got dystopian futures and butcher shops and it's French and surreal comedy and there's romance as well as the landlord being a murderer who feeds his victims to his tenants. Also there are sewer-dwelling vegetarians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYo_SkERMNI

And if you're still starved for people-eatin' fodder (hehhh) then you can read a book called Little Hands Clapping, or listen to any of the three songs below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ1iMQA0egc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWDAtMPoBHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvdjlJUO8A&feature=related

Annnnd I love you all, and thanks for takin' the ride to Halloweentown with me, and happy costume partying everyone!

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    @Lost Salient You're posting in here and this isn't Halloween related but it IS seasonal!

Rifftrax Live - Dec 5 - SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    I guess @Usagi for that too!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
  • Options
    Aghhh why do I live in Lamest Virginia

I want to see Droppo, the Laziest Man on Mars!

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    You live in Charlottesville right? Richmond and Lynchburg both have Fathom Events theaters, though I do not know your transport situation.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    With that Korean film, I almost though you were talking about this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chaser_(film)

Which is also really good!

Also, took me a while to find it, but this cannibal movie is really good. It looks at it from a really interesting, somewhat technical angle. Not that it doesn't get silly at parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at8dIMcuJq0

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    "Lost Salient" You're posting in here and this isn't Halloween related but it IS seasonal!

Rifftrax Live - Dec 5 - SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS

Aaaaaaaaaaah thank you

• Options
    edited October 2013
    The Chaser is good! But your link is to an Australian TV series, you should probably know.

E: Oh wait no the link just got borked somehow

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, it doesn't recognize the bit at the end automatically. Fixed now.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i watched house on netflix last night

it wasn't good

in fact it was pretty bad

• Options
    House II is way better, in my opinion.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Now, Hausu...

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Well that saves me from watching that tomorrow morning

I've kind of had a problem of watching a lot of bad stuff on Netflix this season

So my twenty something movies that I had prepared to recommend for my 31 days thing have gradually dwindled and I have no idea what I am going to recommend tomorrow

It might just be a joke option, like Ghost Cat or Vampire Dog, I don't know

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    tumblr_mvi78ozAS01qbtxv8o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mvi78ozAS01qbtxv8o2_500.jpg
    rosalarian wrote:
    Going as a character from a short lived cult tv show from the 90s? Too mainstream for me, apparently. I just had to cosplay a room. Glamorous Black Lodge is probably the best costume I’ve ever made.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Today's google doodle is pretty neat

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    tumblr_mvi78ozAS01qbtxv8o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mvi78ozAS01qbtxv8o2_500.jpg
    rosalarian wrote:
    Going as a character from a short lived cult tv show from the 90s? Too mainstream for me, apparently. I just had to cosplay a room. Glamorous Black Lodge is probably the best costume I’ve ever made.

My god.

it is glorious

• Options
    The Chaser is so goddamn good, but it is also in the pantheon of movies that winds up being so disturbing that i swore i would never watch it again.

• Options
    I would say there's a fair to middling chance that I Saw the Devil will fall into that category for you as well.

Happy day, everybody! Post ye costumes, I haven't seen nearly enough costume posting in this ding dang thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChlW283_33s

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    No one on the radio is playing Halloween music, and it has left me furious

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    My foxy history professor is dressed as James Dean oh my god I love halloween

They were broadcasting War of the Worlds on the local pop station last night, that was quite the surprise as I was flipping radio stations

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My actual Halloween costume won't happen until Saturday (for a party), and it's pretty complex so I don't think I'll ever be doing a full blown test run, but hopefully I'll get pictures then

Tonight I think I am just doing my Red Death masquerade standby for Trick or Treaters, maybe I'll grab some pictures of that

• Options
    It's supposed to rain all day here, and we're worried that today's children are weak and cowardly, so we might not get a whole lot of them

My roommate was suggesting we should get full size candy bars and reward any dedication

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    do you guys get many tick or treaters?

In the last four years I've been at home, I've seen a grand total of I think 2 trick or treaters.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It snowed here a few days ago.

Kids are going to be wearing their costumes over their winter gear.

In Canada all the Draculas and Boris Karloffs wear ski pants.