As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2013:...and to all a good night.

HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Games and Technology
2013_bg.png

Sign-ups are now CLOSED!

What is this?

It's pretty much Secret Santa, except with partial strangers.

You sign up, you buy a forumer a gift, you get a gift, you post your gift on the thread, we all experience the joy that comes from getting gifts from strangers that are probably better than the gifts your own family gets you.

After Signing Up

(1) Find your name in the spoilered list below. If it is not there within 24 hours, then we have a problem! PM me as soon as you can!
(2) Wait for a PM from me providing your Santee's information. If you do not receive one by 11/3 at the latest, then (again) we have a problem! PM me as soon as you can!
(3) Forum stalk your Santee! Do not ACTUALLY stalk him! This is as far as I know illegal and I will testify against you in a court of law.
(4) Buy your Santee a present! The goal here is to make your Santee as happy as possible! Challenge yourself to find out what s/he likes and send an appropriate gift of happiness (minimum $25, this minimum does not include shipping)! *There is no maximum spending limit*
(5) Ship your present to your Santee! Double, triple and quadruple check the address, and make sure your package has a return address! The deadline for shipping the gift is December 31, 2013! ***Make sure you get some kind of a confirmation or proof that you shipped your package (e.g., tracking number, proof of receipt, etc.)!*** If you have no proof and your Santee does not receive anything, we have no choice but to assume you are a deadbeat!
(6) Receive a gift from your very own Santa!
(7) PM ME WHEN YOU HAVE RECEIVED YOUR GIFT
(8) Post pictures of your haul! The more pictures, the better! See previous years on the gift wall for examples of good picture posts! getdropbox.com, imageshack.us, photobucket.com, and flickr.com all provide free picture hosting so you have no excuse THIS IS NOT OPTIONAL If you receive an electronic gift, post a screenshot of yourself playing the game or a picture of receiving it on Steam/etc. Don't be that guy who makes your Santa feel crappy and like their gift fell into a black hole.

Shipping Tips

HOLY SHIT I GOT SOMEONE FROM A DIFFERENT COUNTRY
There should be a section in the OP called:

Q: How I ship outside US of A
A: United States Postal Service (USPS)

Really, it's the best if you're looking to not pay $60 for shipping. The proper customs forms are on the website, the post office has the proper plastic window guys to put the forms on the boxes. The package will get there and you won't have to sell your organs.
By the way, if you are sending a gift from the US to another country, if you mark on the package that it is a "gift," your receiver avoids paying taxes on stuff when it arrives. This is the case for a lot of the stuff that I have bought from Asia. Nothing is more annoying than having to pay for your gift. :(

These people speak truth! (and thanks to whomever else provided this info) Be sure and use USPS and be sure and MARK IT AS A GIFT!

Can I ship something straight from Amazon or something?
Yes you can, and it's a good idea to shop at the Santee's home country's Amazon site (www.amazon.ca for instance) if you want to save a bit on shipping. Be sure and provide a note upon checkout saying who you are, though!

BE SURE AND SHIP WELL IN ADVANCE
Get your act together NOW and try and ship your stuff by Dec 10th or so to make sure it arrives before the crazy Christmas rush that always happens at the latter half of December.

Shopping Tips
Not sure if you're getting something in the right size? Need to warn your Santee to expect something? Getting anxious about whether or not they received their stuff? Use a proxy to contact your Santee! You can PM Proxy the Elf or Hypatia to pass along messages. Please include who the message is for and the exact message you'd like to have passed on (it will probably be copied and pasted) and we will copy and paste the reply back to you. Please note: some people have specifically requested that you use one or the other of us, if such a request has been made that information will be included in your assignment.

Interesting Shops:
www.thinkgeek.com - general geeky stuff. Shipping can be high so be sure and shop around. Google for discount coupons.
www.play-asia.com - junk from Japan. Nearly everyone likes the little toys they have. Google for discount coupons.
www.buy.com - one of the best places to get used games, books and DVDs.
www.coolstuffinc.com - for heavily discounted board or card games.
www.bigbadtoystore.com - the absolute best place to get action figures.

Things to Note:
360 points are not cross-country compatible.
Most consoles are region restricted. The Nintendo DS is a notable exception to this, though.
If you need someone to contact your Santee for you to pass on a message or to ask questions, you can PM Proxy the Elf or Hypatia.

Stalking / General Shopping Help:
If your Santee has a unique forum handle, be sure and Google it. You never know where else s/he might post.
Keep an eye on the systems he owns if you're thinking of buying a game.
If your Santee has a PS3, don't forget it can play Blu-Ray movies.
If your Santee has a XBox Gamer ID, it's not hard to figure out what games he has / likes.
Be creative! We have lives other than video games! Is your Santee taking up an instrument? Does he want to start painting? Does he like tabletop games? Does he seem to like cars? This is your chance to get an interesting gift they hadn't thought of, yet!
Does your Santee have a favorite game, ever? Consider something related to that! Toys, old complete copies, art books, etc. are always fun.
Do you have something in your city / state / country that your Santee doesn't have access to?
Interesting candies, foods, posters / prints, and other various knick-knacks make for good box-stuffers.
If your Santee has a unique name, you never know what you'll find out by Googling him or her! They might have a twitter account or something!

Steam Gifting FAQ! by AaronKI

Q) How does sending a gift by e-mail work?
A) The e-mail that Steam sends contains a button with an activation URL. (the one that says "Yes, I have Steam" in the first picture below)

A snippet of the e-mail that steam sends.

A screenshot of the window that pops up in steam after the activation URL is opened. If the recipient clicks "Accept", they're given the option to either add it to their library or add it to their inventory.

Q) So.. if the e-mail just contains a URL, can I e-mail the gift to myself, copy the URL, and send it to my Santee another way?
A) Absolutely. You can send the URL via proxy or even send it in the mail. Just be aware of the possibility that your Santee might buy the game in a sale before they get the URL!

Q) Does my Santee need a Steam account to receive a Steam gift?
A) Nope! If they click the "No, I do not have Steam" button it will send them to a registration form.

Q) Do I need to e-mail the gift to the same address that my Santee's Steam account was created with?
A) Nope!

Q) Will sending a Steam gift reveal my identity?
A) Yes. Your Santee will see your Steam community name and the e-mail address that your account was registered with. Even if your change your community profile name, they can look at the previous names you've used.

Q) How can I send a Steam gift anonymously?
A) The only way to do this is to register a brand new Steam account with an e-mail address that can't be traced back to you. Remember to remove your credit card info before you let the account rot! To do this, go to the Account tab in the settings and click "view account history."

Q) Help! The e-mail with the activation code has gone missing! And/or my Santee already owns the game I gifted!
A) Open your Steam Inventory (Games > Manage Gifts and Guest Passes). You can re-send the gift from there. If they already own the game you sent, you can send it to someone else or keep it for yourself.

Veteran Info

If this is not your first rodeo, things to note that have changed:
- If you did not post pictures/a post in the thread last year, you are going to have to explain to me what you are going to do differently this year about posting when you receive a gift. It is not ok to let someone down after they've gone through the trouble of gifting you.

Keeping Track of the Joy!

snowflake.pngThis year's gift wall
snowflake.pngTwitter feed to get up to the date info on who's getting added to the gift wall

Past Highlights

snowflake.pngLast year's thread
snowflake.pngLast year's gift wall (2012)
snowflake.pngGift Wall from 2011
snowflake.pngGift Wall from 2010
snowflake.pngGift wall from 2009
snowflake.pngGift wall from 2008

Confirmed Participants!
Total: 109
AbsoluteZero
Ah_Pook
Aioua
Allforce
Anarchy
anoffday
AnteCantelope
ArcSyn
Arikado
Asiina
Bear is Driving
belligerent
Beltaine
Big Classy
Blackbeard7
Bursar
Cameron_Talley
Chen
chocobolicious
cj iwakura
cloudeagle
cooljammer00
Custom Special
Dac Vin
darunia106
deveric
DiannaoChong
dougyfresh
Draysoth
Dusda
Dyvion
El Mucho
Elin
elkatas
Elvenshae
Entriech
EvilBadman
Farangu
Fig-D
Forar
Frem
Goldeneye007
grim123
Grove
Handkor
Hypatia
Icemopper
iMatt
Imperfect
initiatefailure
Jam Warrior
jclast
Judge-Z
Kendrik
Ketar
Khez
Kias
Kipling
Kirbith
Kirindal
Kyougu
LewieP's Mummy
Lindsey Lohan
Lost
Madpoet
Maguano
ManetherenWolf
mare_imbrium
Maz-
Mechanical
mere_immortal
Mighty
minirhyder
Nackmatholn
never-ending-reign
noir_blood
PA Jamie
PoultryGeist
Radiation
redfield85
RisenPhoenix
Robert Khoo
Rorus Raz
Schide
ScudMuffin
see317
Shadowane
Shady3011
SirUltimos
SniperGuy
spookymuffin
Stormwatcher
strebalicious
Sunstrand
SwashbucklerXX
TeeMan
testsubject23
The_Spaniard
thejaxx
TheOtherHorseman
THEPAIN73
TheRoadVirus
TheScruple
Turkey
Two Headed Boy
UnbreakableVow
urahonky
vegeta_666
Zaghreb

Sterica on

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Holy crap, it's the most wonderful time of the year...already?!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I may be passing on it this year. Home stuff is killing us. There's always next year? :(

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Let's do this!

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I nearly audibly squealed at work when I saw this thread, I bloody love PA Secret Santa.

Signed up!

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I may be passing on it this year. Home stuff is killing us. There's always next year? :(

I think my secret santa gift from you last year can quite happily carry over in to this year, so you're excused :)

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

Sorry Isy, home stuff always comes first but it still sucks.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'm on a bus so I cannot appear visibly excited for fear of looking like a freak, but I will be pming soon

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    PM'ed. Even used the same conversation as last year because I barely get any PMs.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Someone needs to take it up a notch and gift a PS4 this year! No pressure.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    This is also a call to any lurkers to lurk less

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Wooo I am super excited to get to stalking this year!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Yusss finally gonna participate in one of these.
    Hooray for full time jobs and the resulting disposable incomes!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I don't like sending or receiving gifts but I love seeing the creative things that people send to each other each year. Thanks for running this!

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Last year was so much fun, I'm in!

Since I'll be home this time instead of being abroad like last year, I can hopefully be a bit more generous and / or send some cool local stuff.

Santa: A more detailed post with stuff I like / dislike / already own is coming sometime soon. Or I'll just edit this post.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Hell yes, I love this stuff. You all are always spectacular people. I know I haven't posted as much recently, but I have good excuses, and I'll let my Santa know those.

• Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    And I'm in!

• Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    I'll probably write up more about my favorite things later on when I get time, or you can browse my post history for this from last year since I haven't been as active over the last year.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah! I saw D&Ds go up the other day, but this is the one I always do. And my favorite. Love this thing. On mobile but will sign up and post Santa info ASAP.

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    Woo! I've had the best gifts year after year from the PA crew - super stoked to be doing it once again.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I was given Diablo 3, a game I spent hours and hours and hours playing, last year. Plus some other great stuff.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Woo! Signed up...year 4!

Thanks for running this again. Every year has been great.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    This is also a call to any lurkers to lurk less

I feel so bad every year, but lurkers gonna lurk man. :oops:

But I will say that if you find me posting in a thread, then that is a clear sign that I'm fucking obsessed with the subject of the thread :P

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Oh let's do this. I promise less fiendish puzzles this year.

Also, @Willeth: So, I just started running a DnD campaign for the first time. I'd been using they gorgeous dice that'd been sitting on my desk, but I couldn't remember when it was that I bought them. Then I saw my gift get post from last year, turns out you bought 'em for me. :D Thanks again!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    So excited. This made my Monday. PMing when I get home from work. I think this will be my 5th year.

edit: just remembered from looking at last year's gift wall that my santee never posted any pics so there's a big empty blank next to my name under santee. :( New santee don't be worried by this! I've never been a deadbeat and never will. In fact I'll have more Christmas spending money this year than previous years which is good news for your stocking!

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    My day has come

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Awesome! Last year was my first time doing this; I can't wait for a second bite at the apple!

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!
    So excited!
    Edit:
    Man looking through the gift wall, I'm always like 'I could have given more'
    Or should have. Sometimes I feel bad about what I gave. Which is weird because the wife chastises me each year for spending too much.

I think I married the Grinch.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    In as well. Almost forgot about this...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    oh god I've only been posting about FFXIV... I apologize in advance

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw Hypatia post about this on Twitter and immediately got excited! I was just thinking about this last week and I couldn't wait for it to start again! This is my sixth year.

I'd post about my stuff, but I put whatever was necessary in my PM that will get sent out, and anything beyond that will be easily located in previous threads or if you dig into my signature or find me online. Can't make it too easy, now can I? Worst case, proxy me. I won't play hard to get with ideas if you're having that much trouble.

This reminds me though, I need to update/weed through my backlog and wish lists on various sites.

edit:
    I've shared out (I think?) my Secret Santa albums on Photobucket. This is where you can find the "Gift Get" images often used each year, and I have a few hatted avatars in the "Secret Santa 2008" folder, and a couple in the others.
    http://s4.photobucket.com/user/ArcSyn/library/Secret Santa

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    oh god I've only been posting about FFXIV... I apologize in advance

Don't feel so bad.
    Looking through previous gift walls, I gave my first Santee ever a subscription to The Old Republic.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I've not been posting much on the PA forums since it is blocked at work now and posting via my phone is not ideal but I do read them.

Your best bet, Santa, would be to stalk my Twitter to get an idea.

Also, I think I have had a pretty good streak of nailing my gifts so I hope I can continue that trend.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    I think the bulk of my posts this year were in the Animal Crossing thread. Well, and the Steam thread. Mmm video games.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    So uh...I think I got a PM but then it disappeared. I swear I'm not crazy.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Oh wow.

Sent my PM!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHRISTMAS!!!

Ready to be stalked!

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    Last year was my first year and I'm super excited to do it again!

I think it's appropriate that I'm currently playing through the Mass Effect trilogy, which my husband got a signed copy of as one of his secret santa presents last year.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    pm'd now.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    The 2011 Gift Wall link is broken. It should be http://santa.chargingwombat.com/2011

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I apparently did not get my name listed as Nitsua's santa in last years wall, which makes me sad, but I am so in this as soon as I get around to sending that PM.

This is probably the only reason I like the holiday anymore.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »

I think I married the Grinch.

This is always the most awkward time of the year to have my username.