Options

G&T Secret Santa 2013:...and to all a good night.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Everytime I see the name/icon of someone I gifted or I was gifted by, I get a warm, fuzzy feeling.

So many great memories every year. I'm excited!

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Elin wrote: »
    I'm about to continue my yearly tradition of buying myself cool shit right before Christmas. For the month of October Terry Pratchets books The Long Earth and The Long War are on sale on the Kindle store for 1.99 each.

On the complaints side, why is Ben Aaronovitch's latest book out in the UK and delayed here until February. I think you across the pond guys have had it for over a month now. Does it take that long to take out all the extra U's? Complain complain complain, global marketplace mutter mutter, humbug. I seriously love the Rivers of London series, I have the first 3 on Kindle and Audible (Kobna Holdbrook-Smith sounds exactly like I heard it in my head, even for Mama Thames).
    What's Pratchett's deal? I like cheap Kindle books.

The Long Earth and the Long War are the only included Pratchett books. It's the regular monthly sale. Kindle normally has a daily deal and a monthly deal. Also right now they have an additional sale (the big deal).

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Have you started into Long Earth yet? I did see those on Amazon and considered grabbing them, but was reading reviews that it wasn't as much of Pratchett's humor/wit that Discworld showcases, which happens to be the best part to me.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I never tasted Eggnogg in my life. I have no idea what's it like.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    It's a foul, noxious concoction peddled upon those who don't know better.

There are so many, many better wintertime drinks to imbibe.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I've never had it either actually. Maybe I'll force some on my friends at a holiday party so I can find out

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    It's a foul, noxious concoction peddled upon those who don't know better.

There are so many, many better wintertime drinks to imbibe.
    Boo! Homemade eggnog is delciious.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    ive got a lot of stupid real world expenses at the moment, so i might have to sit this out this year :(

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    My eggnog recipe:
    1.Buy some eggnog and whiskey
    2. Mix the eggnog and whiskey.
    3. Drink.
    4. Cry about how you never got Grimlock as a kid and instead had to settle for that stupid Triceratop Transformer.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Wait so we're badmouthing eggnog up in this thread?! You are bad people and have bad opinions!

-Signed a fat man because of eggnog

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Eggnog seems like the drink of sad rich white people, or at least that's what TV and movies seem to imply.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I had homemade eggnog once and it was delicious. I don't remember the rest of the night, though.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is it cinnamon-y? And milk like? If it's like a coffee liqueur, it might be pretty good. I was always under the impression it was quite thick though

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Per Wikipedia:

Eggnog, or egg nog, is a sweetened dairy-based beverage traditionally made with milk and/or cream, sugar, and whipped eggs (which gives it a frothy texture). Brandy, rum, whisky, bourbon, vodka, or a combination of liquors are often added. The finished serving is often garnished with a sprinkling of ground cinnamon or nutmeg.

It's like an extra-creamy, slightly runny milkshake. It's best in its alchoholic form. Also, people who don't like Eggnog clearly hate the Holidays and should be forcibly removed from this thread.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    Have you started into Long Earth yet? I did see those on Amazon and considered grabbing them, but was reading reviews that it wasn't as much of Pratchett's humor/wit that Discworld showcases, which happens to be the best part to me.

I picked up Long Earth when it came out and I quite enjoyed it. For 2 bucks, it's pretty much a must-read if you like any kind of sci-fi.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Kendrik wrote: »
    Per Wikipedia:

Eggnog, or egg nog, is a sweetened dairy-based beverage traditionally made with milk and/or cream, sugar, and whipped eggs (which gives it a frothy texture). Brandy, rum, whisky, bourbon, vodka, or a combination of liquors are often added. The finished serving is often garnished with a sprinkling of ground cinnamon or nutmeg.

It's like an extra-creamy, slightly runny milkshake. It's best in its alchoholic form. Also, people who don't like Eggnog clearly hate the Holidays and should be forcibly removed from this thread.

The only eggnogg I've ever had was from Costco and it was a little too boozy, so the creamy milkshaky taste was kinda lost.

Is it better to make it yourself?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Put some cinnamon on the top of a glass of eggnog, Jingle All the Way on the TV, and a fireplace going and I'll be oozing holiday cheer.

• Options
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Per Wikipedia:

The only eggnogg I've ever had was from Costco and it was a little too boozy, so the creamy milkshaky taste was kinda lost.

Is it better to make it yourself?

Yes, it's typically better if you make your own so you can control the spices. Store-bought versions often overload on clove and cinammon and what-not and drown the flavor. Also, I thought of a better description: Liquid Custard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Screw your eggnog. I'll take rompope any time.

Granted, it's basically Rum+Eggnog, but it's a tradition.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Okay I'm buying these books since the amazon description says I don't need to have read a million other books to get them. I assume there's going to be a new-found Terry Pratchett appreciation born here so thanks! and/or damn you!

EDIT: One Click is the worst and it makes me sad that I can't buy kindle books like every other thing on amazon. Seriously guys, let me choose my payment options.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

I picked up Long Earth when it came out and I quite enjoyed it. For 2 bucks, it's pretty much a must-read if you like any kind of sci-fi.

I haven't started it yet, mostly because I just started Disenchanted by Robert Kroese. I saw those same reviews but wasn't that turned off by them, I didn't really expect to much humor in something co authored by a hard sci fi writer.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Okay I'm buying these books since the amazon description says I don't need to have read a million other books to get them. I assume there's going to be a new-found Terry Pratchett appreciation born here so thanks! and/or damn you!

EDIT: One Click is the worst and it makes me sad that I can't buy kindle books like every other thing on amazon. Seriously guys, let me choose my payment options.

What's your beef with One Click?

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

With the case of kindle books, it's the only way to buy them and so you don't get to choose how you pay.

• Options

I want to be asked how I'd like to pay for something. I have a credit card that I use, I have money sitting in my amazon payments account, and I sometimes have amazon gift card balance hanging around. One click doesn't let me definitively tell checkout how I'd like to pay. I just have to remember that I can't choose my payments account and that it'll say on the invoice that it charged my credit card even though it really used my gift card balance if I have one. I want things to be consistent, and every other thing I buy I get the standard checkout that is full of options. When I buy books or mp3s I'm presented with their terrible, scaled-down, no information available one click nonsense.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    shadowane wrote: »

With the case of kindle books, it's the only way to buy them and so you don't get to choose how you pay.

I guess since I have a card with a small limit attached to my Amazon account that I pretty much only use for Amazon, and any Amazon credit you have applies before the card does I never really think about it anymore. If I want to use a different card I either change my one click card or add an Amazon card.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    My eggnog recipe:
    1.Buy some eggnog and whiskey
    2. Mix the eggnog and whiskey.
    3. Drink.
    4. Cry about how you never got Grimlock as a kid and instead had to settle for that stupid Triceratop Transformer.

You bite your tongue! Triceratops >>> T-Rex! Ergo, Slag >>> Grimlock

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

I haven't started it yet, mostly because I just started Disenchanted by Robert Kroese. I saw those same reviews but wasn't that turned off by them, I didn't really expect to much humor in something co authored by a hard sci fi writer.

I just got it from the Library (partially because it seems like a lot of effort to get an e-reader thingie on my tablet), but it seems good so far. I think the feel is more like Nation from Pratchett maybe? Though really not far in, and not expecting much humor.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Wrong thread.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Egg nog is pretty good. Wife hates it though. November 1st is a Friday night which is exciting. I think I'll try to find some egg nog in the store and come home and watch Die Hard and/or Christmas Vacation.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Egg nog is pretty good. Wife hates it though. November 1st is a Friday night which is exciting. I think I'll try to find some egg nog in the store and come home and watch Die Hard and/or Christmas Vacation.

This pretty much sounds like the best idea ever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Die Hard and Christmas Story are the best Christmas movies ever.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    Die Hard and Christmas Story are the best Christmas movies ever.

I think you'll find that the order is:
    1. Die Hard
    2. Muppet's Christmas Carol
    3. Jingle All The Way

IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    Muppet Christmas Carol jumped to my number 1 after having kids. I can't share the awesome that is Die Hard and Christmas Vacation with them for a few years yet.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    My Xmas film traditions

1. Die Hard ( I feel like this was my tradition well before it went all mainstream)
    2. Gremlins (still the best when Phoebe Cates tells the tale of dead Santa/Dad)
    3. Christmas with the Kranks (this movie is absolutely awful but I watch it every year as punishment)

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    How is Elf not the best Christmas movie?

Or at least second best (after Die Hard).

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Because it doesn't have any Muppets in it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    It does, however, have Zoey Deschannel in it.
    50DKP Minus for Will Ferrel though.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang has become my go to Christmas viewing.

• Options
    You heathens must love A Christmas Story or die.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Bad Santa for best christmas movie.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies