As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    "Yeah so I put an ad up on Craigslist and this was the first person to answer. Have fun living with them!"

broken image link
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Chimera wrote: »
    So due to a personal emergency in my roommate's family I just found out that they will be moving out later this month and now I have to find someone new to sublet out that room too! D:

Actually, they need to help find that person.

Nah that is a silly rule.

I wouldn't trust someone who isn't going to also live with them to pick my housemates.

I said help, not choose. They're still on the lease, so they're still liable. If it just amounts to paying a month of rent while you find someone, that's what they do, but I've seen way too many cases where people are like "whelp, I'm out" and screw the other person.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I am down to a single room to be unpacked and set up. Unfortunately it is also the biggest room and is where my TV is. I saved it for last so that I wouldn't just say 'fuck it' and collapse on the couch before I was done with everything else.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Home ownership is rad, though. Like, if I put a hole in the wall IT'S MY WALL FUCK YOU (please don't let me put a hole in my wall).

I also spent 200$ on a cordless drill/impact driver set and some bits! I am a Grown Up, buying Grown Up things.

This weekend, I embark on the perilous journey of wall mounting my flatscreen and a soundbar in my living room. God help us.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    vsove wrote: »
    Home ownership is rad, though. Like, if I put a hole in the wall IT'S MY WALL FUCK YOU (please don't let me put a hole in my wall).

I also spent 200$ on a cordless drill/impact driver set and some bits! I am a Grown Up, buying Grown Up things.

This weekend, I embark on the perilous journey of wall mounting my flatscreen and a soundbar in my living room. God help us.

Yeah, you'll end up buying a bunch of tools. Never buy the cheapest one, buy the one that looks like you could hit it with a sledgehammer and it'd be fine.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

Yeah, you'll end up buying a bunch of tools. Never buy the cheapest one, buy the one that looks like you could hit it with a sledgehammer and it'd be fine.

Every homeowner needs at the very least a wrecking bar.

You might never use it but the option of being able to tear down a partition wall, or a built-in wardrobe, is always tempting.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    ...and you can hit people with it! :D

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if I'd want to punch a hole in my walls.

They are all bricks.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That's where my drunken kung fu master skills come in handy.

Perfectly punching one complete brick out of the wall.

• Options

Yeah, I learned a long time ago that if you buy the best, you will spend less money in the long run. Bought a 250$ blender six years ago and it's still going strong. Friend bought a 75$ blender and has replaced it three times.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    He's still a hundred dollars in front!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    75*4=300

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    smof wrote: »
    75*4=300

Well firstly it's not 25x4.

Secondly it's he isn't a hundred dollars in front.

He is twenty five.

Really it isn't the buy the most expensive thing. It's buy the tool that will do the best job for the best price.

It's like, there is no point attaching a big expensive steel frame onto the drywall as the drywall will break, so what is the point.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    If you have replaced item x three times then you have bought four of item x.

The original item (x), the replacement (x2), the replacement for the replacement (x3), and the replacement for the replacement for the replacement (x4).

Hence comparing the costs we get 250*1 against 75*4, or 250 against 300.

• Options
    I buy whatever is A) durable and B) has the features I want. Sometimes it's midway up the price list, sometimes it isn't, but the lesson I learned is always do your research.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I am not ready nor do I want to be a homeowner yet. I am much too happy with my trendy apartment in the downtown part of Tulsa. I am just a few blocks from all the fun stuff like the River Parks, Cherry Street, the Brady District, and Blue Dome. I can get wasted and stumble home without having a DUI or taxi fare! Plus this is my view out my window...

21mvuia.jpg
    (Yes I took that photo.)

...On top of that my building is full of chill people who are all awesome and friendly. We live in an old brick building built in the 1920's with hardwood floors and lots of character. You can only get into the building with a key and once inside everyone knows everyone else so well that no one locks their doors. There are 12 units and everyone just keeps their booze in my fridge. We also have a fenced in private park with a grill, smoker, and fire pit and across the street has opened this bad ass pizzeria that serves "heavy metal" pizza.

I also am walking distance from the community college which is my next door neighbor. Just ask @Pooka how rad those areas I mentioned above are. :D

My rent is only 575 a month and I have a 2 bedroom apartment and only have to pay for electricity and cable. Parking, 911, garbage, and water is covered by my property.

Why do you live in the same town Courage the Cowardly Dog lives in?

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    smof wrote: »
    75*4=300

Well firstly it's not 25x4.

Secondly it's he isn't a hundred dollars in front.

He is twenty five.

Really it isn't the buy the most expensive thing. It's buy the tool that will do the best job for the best price.

It's like, there is no point attaching a big expensive steel frame onto the drywall as the drywall will break, so what is the point.

Well in that case you bolt the big steel frame to the brick wall using masonry anchors?

Gosh Blake, it's like you're not even trying.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    He's still a hundred dollars in front!

Also factor in the opportunity cost of having to throw out the old, buy a new one and clean up those smoothie remnants.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    I am not ready nor do I want to be a homeowner yet. I am much too happy with my trendy apartment in the downtown part of Tulsa. I am just a few blocks from all the fun stuff like the River Parks, Cherry Street, the Brady District, and Blue Dome. I can get wasted and stumble home without having a DUI or taxi fare! Plus this is my view out my window...

21mvuia.jpg
    (Yes I took that photo.)

...On top of that my building is full of chill people who are all awesome and friendly. We live in an old brick building built in the 1920's with hardwood floors and lots of character. You can only get into the building with a key and once inside everyone knows everyone else so well that no one locks their doors. There are 12 units and everyone just keeps their booze in my fridge. We also have a fenced in private park with a grill, smoker, and fire pit and across the street has opened this bad ass pizzeria that serves "heavy metal" pizza.

I also am walking distance from the community college which is my next door neighbor. Just ask @Pooka how rad those areas I mentioned above are. :D

My rent is only 575 a month and I have a 2 bedroom apartment and only have to pay for electricity and cable. Parking, 911, garbage, and water is covered by my property.

Why do you live in the same town Courage the Cowardly Dog lives in?

I... what? I'm not even in the same state! If I recall he lived in Nowhere, Kansas.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    could you please break the @ if you're going to keep quoting it!

also, yes, it is a good walking-around set of neighborhoods.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    Tools are like the worst investment ever. You buy a whole slew of tools that you will use a lot initially and then maybe two times a year. The rest of the time they sit in the garage and take up space, valuable space too because you want them to be accessible, and the attic has all your Christmas stuff so you can't store them there. Your garage is also crowded because you bought a motorcycle/lawn mower to fix up in your "spare time", and subsequently bought tools for that project too, except now you have to park outside in the sun because your SO takes the open garage spot because your tools occupy the other spot. Now your car is getting weather damaged due to the elements, your $1000 in tools sit with their capital being under utilized and it's Black Friday and holy shit we should replace the soffits on the house and for that I need a table saw because I'm shitty with a skil saw.

I hate myself for buying tools, but having the right tool for the job makes life so much easier. You want to make money? Let me rent tools via amazon drones so that 6.5 mm socket that I never use except for detaching the drain hose on the dishwasher can be delivered to my house in 30 minutes.

Also, this Bostich Cats Paw is my favorite tool ever.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/power-tools/the-next-7-tools-you-need-to-be-a-better-home-handyman-cats-paw#slide-4

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Must be sister cities then, because I could have sworn I had seen that tower on a purple field with lightning behind it on an episode. (sorry pooka didn't see the mention in the quote)

Renting story! My current landlords are okay, they just dropped ~$3000 on fixing a burst pipe underneath the driveway. The clean up included tearing up part of the driveway and installing an entirely new pipeline to the house, because the old line was terrible and the company has been sued multiple times for their stuff just being terrible.

Also the wiring in this place is bad. Just makes me glad we're renting it, not owning it.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Tools are like the worst investment ever. You buy a whole slew of tools that you will use a lot initially and then maybe two times a year. The rest of the time they sit in the garage and take up space, valuable space too because you want them to be accessible, and the attic has all your Christmas stuff so you can't store them there. Your garage is also crowded because you bought a motorcycle/lawn mower to fix up in your "spare time", and subsequently bought tools for that project too, except now you have to park outside in the sun because your SO takes the open garage spot because your tools occupy the other spot. Now your car is getting weather damaged due to the elements, your $1000 in tools sit with their capital being under utilized and it's Black Friday and holy shit we should replace the soffits on the house and for that I need a table saw because I'm shitty with a skil saw.

I hate myself for buying tools, but having the right tool for the job makes life so much easier. You want to make money? Let me rent tools via amazon drones so that 6.5 mm socket that I never use except for detaching the drain hose on the dishwasher can be delivered to my house in 30 minutes.

Also, this Bostich Cats Paw is my favorite tool ever.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/power-tools/the-next-7-tools-you-need-to-be-a-better-home-handyman-cats-paw#slide-4

6.5 mm socket? Is there even such a thing? I think it might have been a 1/4 inch screw on that hose clamp.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Just paid the power bill. The weather has been so backwards this year that last month I spent more heating the house than I did cooling it for any given month this summer. So I guess I'll drop it down to 65. I guess. The bill wasn't even that bad, especially compared to my last place, but it just bothers me to admit how cold and crappy this summer was by letting my power bill be higher this winter.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Jigrah, please.

• Options
    Also, $1000 in tools?

Get on my level

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    My dad bought a concrete saw for about thirty bucks, and we wore out like five diamond blades on that thing cutting an entire reinforced-concrete cistern into manageable pieces

my point is, nobody has needed to cut an atom of concrete since that time. So other than a drill, just don't waste your money

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Pretty bummer evening. Close friend of mine had an acquaintance that turned out to be human garbage take over the last months of her lease his name was beside hers on the contract and everything and in that period of time fucking trashed the place costing the $200 deposit and $400 on top of that. She was told that they would send him a bill but if he refused or didn't respond it was her responsibility (not sure how legally true this is). He strongly refuses writing on the bill that the charges are 'bogus' and the apartment was 'delapadated' when he got it. She texts him about it and he says it's her fault for giving him a 'shithole' apartment with 'hazards and roaches' (I've been there, it's fine) and that this is 'the price she pays'

She had a habit of putting deadbeats in a position to screw her over out of money with predictable results and this is the last incident to tie up. Short of wrecking his motorcycle I'm not sure I can give her any real advice besides pay $400 to get rid of one asshole for life

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Best she could do is try to get some of that money back from him in small claims court. Probably only half without some really good documentation about the events. But unless the lease specifies a split payment which I really doubt, she is responsible for the full damages amount.

And she's better off paying it fully than the consequences of getting sent to collections trying to fight with the landlord about it.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Sweet, my landlord is amenable to my sister (who already lives with me) and my friend taking over the remainder of my lease. Now I just have to find a place to live while I'm still eight hours away from my new job.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    As you know my housemates are dating.

We were going to move to somewhere new for next year together, and people start looking for places for 3-4 people in January. I've decided I won't move with them, I like them both lots but since they've started dating I do feel like a third wheel sometimes when we're together and I won't want to deal with any potential break up drama. The boy housemate never cleans up and its tricky telling him now they're dating, so yeah.

I think I made a good decision, they don't know yet.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    probably a good move.

My electricity/gas company sent me four letters welcoming me to my new home and giving me my customer number. Finally, today I got a bill. It says I used no electricity at all between august and october.

I'm not going to argue with them about it, but I think it's fair to put yet another tick in the 'bafflingly inept UK service providers' column.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    probably a good move.

My electricity/gas company sent me four letters welcoming me to my new home and giving me my customer number. Finally, today I got a bill. It says I used no electricity at all between august and october.

I'm not going to argue with them about it, but I think it's fair to put yet another tick in the 'bafflingly inept UK service providers' column.
    I'd be careful about that. For four months I had a fairly low electric bill, then the company realized the meter was broken.

The fifth bill was decidedly not low.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I'm really curious what I'm going to get for Christmas this year. I'm trying not to put any money towards things for the townhouse until after the holidays.

I feel like a jerk, but I would rather someone just hand me even $10 cash than a $20 nick-knack that I don't have anywhere to display. But my mother is very big on making sure everyone has the same number of presents because she thinks we all count them and would get jealous.

But I just want to buy things and fix up our place. Blargh.

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    probably a good move.

I'd be careful about that. For four months I had a fairly low electric bill, then the company realized the meter was broken.

well it doesn't make a lot of difference, really. Either I pay it in installments or i pay it in a lump, but I won't use less or more electricity because of them screwing around.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    probably a good move.

well it doesn't make a lot of difference, really. Either I pay it in installments or i pay it in a lump, but I won't use less or more electricity because of them screwing around.

Unless they decide you owe them late fees/fuck you fees or something in which case you end up paying more in the end. Just something to be wary of.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Fyndir wrote: »
    probably a good move.

Unless they decide you owe them late fees/fuck you fees or something in which case you end up paying more in the end. Just something to be wary of.

i'll fight that one till the bitter end. You send me a bill, I pay that bill. I don't pay imaginary bills as a precaution against general chicanery.

tynic on
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Seems insane that they would be able to put late-fees on something that hasn't been invoiced.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    Seems insane that they would be able to put late-fees on something that hasn't been invoiced.

remember their incompetence is your fault

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    probably a good move.

i'll fight that one till the bitter end. You send me a bill, I pay that bill. I don't pay imaginary bills as a precaution against general chicanery.

Hold onto the bills so you have a paper trail to show them if they try to pull any shenanigans.

This discussion has been closed.