As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    Hey home people.

Anyone have good suggestions of stores to check out for a coffee table and end table set? I'm looking at some possible gift ideas for my parents, but I don't want to break the bank.

If you want to avoid pressboard / assemble it yourself stuff, it's either craigslist, Salvation Army/Goodwill, or department stores ($$). I went with craigslist and am happy with it, but if your parents are footing the bill, hit up the department stores.
    Or, you know, go with get the Ikea or Target stuff, but be ready for it to fall apart when you move.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Also the couple might pull the bullshit move of "we count as one person and the bills will be split as much"

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Luckily we pay bills included, but I would not stand for that kind of malarkey.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    I've had people try that on me before. Since you've been living with them already, I don't think it should be an issue. It is something to be wary of if you are planning on moving in with a couple, though.

• Options
    Oh yeah, didn't think of the future.... I'd have to be all "look you are still separate entities, so two bills".

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Also the couple might pull the bullshit move of "we count as one person and the bills will be split as much"

That would only make sense if you were paying by the room and they were sharing one. If they don't take every single shower together, share one plate of food a piece, and never turn on a light unless their partner is in the room that is bullshit.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    They still count as 2 people because I have to live with two people. I give a shit about space.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Unless they are literally using the toilet at the same time, they are both adding to the cost of the place.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Unless they are literally using the toilet at the same time, they are both adding to the cost of the place.

What if they don't flush until both of them have used it? Hmm?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Then they are gross and should pay a fine for being gross.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

still takes up the time of two people

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My parents this weekend proposed the idea of them helping me to buy my own place.

Uhhhh...

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    ... how would property taxes and other bills compare to renting?

Came home from class to find the front tire on my bike flat (puncture) and the back wheel bent out of true. I don't know if it was one of my roommates or some fucking burnout who comes by for parties or a random act of vandalism but I've had it with this bullshit. Gonna talk to the roommates today and the landlord tomorrow.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    My parents this weekend proposed the idea of them helping me to buy my own place.

Uhhhh...

Bristol is on the up and up, it'd be a really good time to do it!

Though it is a bit upsetting; my dad proposed that a few years back and I had to sit down and have a talk about how £[Money he was offering]+£[Everything I'll earn in the next 5 years]<<<<<<<<<£[Cost of a deposit on a place in a city where there are jobs]. Bummed both of us out!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yeah they seem pretty confident we can make it work. It would be a two bed so I could get a roommate to help pay the mortgage. Pretty crazy though, I hadn't even considered it as a possibility until they brought it up.

Apparently they talked to my brother about it first and his immediate reaction was to offer all of his savings to help. (we are not letting him do that) I... totally don't deserve the family I have.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I... totally don't deserve the family I have.

Yea you do.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah they seem pretty confident we can make it work. It would be a two bed so I could get a roommate to help pay the mortgage. Pretty crazy though, I hadn't even considered it as a possibility until they brought it up.

Apparently they talked to my brother about it first and his immediate reaction was to offer all of his savings to help. (we are not letting him do that) I... totally don't deserve the family I have.

ooh pick me, pick me!

(i just worked out the reason I'm not saving any money is I'm spending too much on rent. Duh)

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

ooh pick me, pick me!

(i just worked out the reason I'm not saving any money is I'm spending too much on rent. Duh)

Winter 2014:

i-718385ce22da1671be025c53debb71a7-spider_robot_1a.jpg

Robot Spiders & Spider Robots Devastate South West!
    Co-Villainnesses hold Bristol hostage unless their demands for "The weather to suck less" are met!!!

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

ooh pick me, pick me!

I can do you a good deal on rent but your commute might be a bit tedious

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Guess who's a homeowner?

*points thumbs at self*

This guy.

I estimate I'll be done unpacking sometime around 2017.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    That's an ambitious timetable, I'd guess 2023 at the earliest.

• Options
    I was actually telling Godmode that I would like to take some time this weekend to organize some of the boxes we still have out in the open. I'd like to at least put them away in a closet if they aren't going to get unpacked.

• Options
    Why din't you two just move to Manchester cause as you can see from my last posts in here I could probably do with new housemates....

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    pretty sure there's flights from newquay to manchester, so the commute would actually be less than to bristol.

More expensive though.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    I am not ready nor do I want to be a homeowner yet. I am much too happy with my trendy apartment in the downtown part of Tulsa. I am just a few blocks from all the fun stuff like the River Parks, Cherry Street, the Brady District, and Blue Dome. I can get wasted and stumble home without having a DUI or taxi fare! Plus this is my view out my window...

21mvuia.jpg
    (Yes I took that photo.)

...On top of that my building is full of chill people who are all awesome and friendly. We live in an old brick building built in the 1920's with hardwood floors and lots of character. You can only get into the building with a key and once inside everyone knows everyone else so well that no one locks their doors. There are 12 units and everyone just keeps their booze in my fridge. We also have a fenced in private park with a grill, smoker, and fire pit and across the street has opened this bad ass pizzeria that serves "heavy metal" pizza.

I also am walking distance from the community college which is my next door neighbor. Just ask @Pooka how rad those areas I mentioned above are. :D

My rent is only 575 a month and I have a 2 bedroom apartment and only have to pay for electricity and cable. Parking, 911, garbage, and water is covered by my property.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    ...also my apartment has a Daft Punk poster so that is pretty rad too.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    The apartment next to ours is going up for sale. We live in a co-op, so if we were able to purchase the next-door apartment, we could combine the two. This would give is a lot more room, plus an extra bedroom or two.
    I wish we had more money. My parents said they could loan us the down payment, and my mother-in-law said she could loan us a good amount on top of that. But things here are expensive. Maintenance would be $2000 a month for the two apartments, even before the mortgage. And I just had to take a month of unpaid leave recently from work.
    But we will probably never get an opportunity like this again. Two/three-bedroom places just don't exist around here for any reasonable amount of money.
    We live reasonable well now, but things would be so tight if we tried to buy the apartment. We're going to try for it, but I'm not really sure how well it will work out.

@mulysasempronius I feel like the future benefits will definitely outweigh the heavy current and near-term obligations. I guess it really depends on how the next five to ten years in your life are looking?

Combining apartments in the NY area always seems to result in a much better overall financial impact in terms of worth, even accounting for renovation costs

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    What do you mean when you say 911 is covered by your property?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    What do you mean when you say 911 is covered by your property?

I mean the area 911 tax on land lines if you have one in the building. I know it is kinda weird but they do cover that.

Chimera on
  • Options
    Huh, I did not know a 911 tax was a thing. I guess that's to cover the cost of 911 calls because presumably they are free to make?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    yep

TANSTAAFL

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    That sounds like a delicious Austrian dessert.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    The apartment next to ours is going up for sale. We live in a co-op, so if we were able to purchase the next-door apartment, we could combine the two. This would give is a lot more room, plus an extra bedroom or two.
    I wish we had more money. My parents said they could loan us the down payment, and my mother-in-law said she could loan us a good amount on top of that. But things here are expensive. Maintenance would be $2000 a month for the two apartments, even before the mortgage. And I just had to take a month of unpaid leave recently from work.
    But we will probably never get an opportunity like this again. Two/three-bedroom places just don't exist around here for any reasonable amount of money.
    We live reasonable well now, but things would be so tight if we tried to buy the apartment. We're going to try for it, but I'm not really sure how well it will work out.

@mulysasempronius I feel like the future benefits will definitely outweigh the heavy current and near-term obligations. I guess it really depends on how the next five to ten years in your life are looking?

Combining apartments in the NY area always seems to result in a much better overall financial impact in terms of worth, even accounting for renovation costs
    yeah, it would be so good. However, we're not really sure we'll be staying in the city after my son graduates high school in a couple of years. And we'd really need to spend some time renovating.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Huh, I did not know a 911 tax was a thing. I guess that's to cover the cost of 911 calls because presumably they are free to make?

"Hello, would you like to accept a collect call from OHMYGODTHEBURNINGITHUR-? Press 1 to accept the charges ..."

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    That sounds like a delicious Austrian dessert.

It is if you like economics!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Today the lady and I are buying a grown up bed to replace the size full matress that is older than I am. Really looking forward to having restful sleep!

Except an ice storm is coming so maybe it'll be a couple days.

• Options
    So due to a personal emergency in my roommate's family I just found out that they will be moving out later this month and now I have to find someone new to sublet out that room too! D:

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    So due to a personal emergency in my roommate's family I just found out that they will be moving out later this month and now I have to find someone new to sublet out that room too! D:

Actually, they need to help find that person.

• Options
    Well the person was my cousin and he is having to move back to Dubai post haste and outside of the apartment complex he doesn't know many here in the country so that would be hard to do.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Chimera wrote: »

Actually, they need to help find that person.

Nah that is a silly rule.

I wouldn't trust someone who isn't going to also live with them to pick my housemates.

broken image link
This discussion has been closed.