As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't generally throw away bills.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    @vsove Did you actually post pics of your finished place? I feel like I've been following along for so long that I've been waiting for the moment to congratulate you on how great the place looks when you actually got in, but I don't remember seeing any "finally here!" pics. Show that shit off, dawg.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    home ownership fun

the emergency shutoff switch for my a/c that triggers when the outflow pipe clogs and backs up failed, so my air conditioning dumped quite a bit of water into places it shouldn't, and it ended leaking through my bedroom ceiling. this has happened before because they told us about it in inspection.

i just didn't expect it to happen again not three months after we had an A/C tech come and clear the pipes

everything is dry and I shopvacced the pipe and that seems to have solved it for the time being, but damn. got drywall and insulation to replace now. I know that the previous owners never did that, because when little ceiling bits came off we could see there was clear long term damage. we're probably going to rip the fucker down and do it properly. i don't need to breath mold.

also i need a shutoff switch that works. I don't care that the pipe clogs that will happen, it takes 5 minutes to fix, but at least warn me before you dump 3 gallons of water on my floor

also: getting a tree service to come and remove the worst palm tree in existence

also: buying a dishwasher because the one that came with the house is busted in multiple ways

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    my rent went up massively hrm but sadly looking around its not like there are much better options around, i was getting a good deal for this neighborhood before i guess

hrmph

poo
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    home ownership fun

the emergency shutoff switch for my a/c that triggers when the outflow pipe clogs and backs up failed, so my air conditioning dumped quite a bit of water into places it shouldn't, and it ended leaking through my bedroom ceiling. this has happened before because they told us about it in inspection.

i just didn't expect it to happen again not three months after we had an A/C tech come and clear the pipes

everything is dry and I shopvacced the pipe and that seems to have solved it for the time being, but damn. got drywall and insulation to replace now. I know that the previous owners never did that, because when little ceiling bits came off we could see there was clear long term damage. we're probably going to rip the fucker down and do it properly. i don't need to breath mold.

also i need a shutoff switch that works. I don't care that the pipe clogs that will happen, it takes 5 minutes to fix, but at least warn me before you dump 3 gallons of water on my floor

also: getting a tree service to come and remove the worst palm tree in existence

also: buying a dishwasher because the one that came with the house is busted in multiple ways

Is there not a way to run a bigger, freer-flowing pipe that won't clog? Perhaps there are sharp bends that are allowing the clogs to form?

• Options
    i don't really know where the root cause of the clog is yet per se

very little of the pipe is accessible, so unless it's within a few feet of the unit itself, then no dice

I am going to take part of the pipe off later in the month so I can do a more thorough vacuum of it, so that might tell me something

it's an inch and a quarter PVC pipe and I think it's possible that when the AC guys cleaned it they didn't get it all...

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    32mm PVC pipe shouldn't be cloggin with just a/c drain output running through it. Is there a wasps nest in there or something? Can you rod it out with some stiff wire?

• Options
    32mm PVC pipe shouldn't be cloggin with just a/c drain output running through it. Is there a wasps nest in there or something? Can you rod it out with some stiff wire?

interesting possibility. I did find a dead wasp in the air intake when I moved in.... unclear where it came from.

When I vacuumed, mostly what I got was sand and dust, no mud or anything which I would expect from a nest. the last few inches of the pipe are definitely clean I know that. because I just got particles and no major clog in the vac, there is still work to do

I wonder what kind of wire I could use just to poke through it and see what I run into. that would at least help me figure out the location of the clog

• Options
    If there are no sudden 90 degree bends, a length of fencing wire would do the trick. Just file the end after you cut it, don't want to gouge the shit out of the inside of the pipe, because that will just create something for any detritus that gets in the drain something to catch on, and clog up!

• Options
    yeah.... about that. unfortunately the exterior end of the pipe starts with a nice, tight 180 bend, and I know there are at least two 90 degrees inside the wall

god doesn't want me to fix this...

I could probably take the 180 right off... but I know there's 90's that I can't see.. geometry demands it, just based on where the pipe starts and ends, it would have to be a pretty malleable/soft wire

• Options
    If they're curves:

mkg-pvc-pipe-bends-500x500.jpg

you're good. If they're elbows:

pvcelbowslip.bmp

you're fucked. Pouring some violent drain cleaner down there will basically be your best bet, short of calling out a guy with a roto-rooter to dig the crud out (if it is indeed blocked!).

• Options
    they are very explicitly elbows, top to bottom, every visible junction I can see is an elbow

what's the risk of drain cleaner here? an chance of pipe erosion?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    They have this really cool stuff you can pour down a drain that clings to PVC material and forms a sort of inner sleeve. It lasts for a few days (maybe a week?) and lets you pour some seriously heinous shit down your drain without damaging your pipes. If that's a concern, anyhow.

You could also go buy a couple gallons of bleach and just dump it down there. Bleach isn't expensive, and as long as you have some sort of way to catch it before it gets to, you know, the floor or ground, you should be okay.

• Options
    they are very explicitly elbows, top to bottom, every visible junction I can see is an elbow

what's the risk of drain cleaner here? an chance of pipe erosion?

It'll say on the bottle if it'll wreck PVC pipes. Get the most heinous shit you can find that is PVC safe.

• Options
    what is the appropriate tool to force one of these elbows off? At the unit, the pipes don't really seem to have a lot of play in them, so I need to be gentle or I might shear the damn thing right off the air handler... it's a 15 year old air handler and it looks like 15 year old joints on the pipes.

• Options
    They should really be glued. If they're not, you're lucky. Just give them as much of a twist and a pull as you dare. Using metal tools is just going to crack/smash the piping.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, what's the etiquette on viewing a room for rent? Can I bring a friend, or is that weird and rude?
    I'll be viewing a room in a 3br apartment and meeting the two potential roommates.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I dunno about rude but I might think bringing a friend was weird

But you're the one looking for a place to rent so whatever you want, if you think your friend will help you make the right choice then bring em

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I think it's all in how you play it. If you present it as "I'm here to see the room. This is my friend X" it probably be ok. If you make it seem like you need someone's approval or don't trust the potential rookies or some odd situation, then it would get weird.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Hey guys, what's the etiquette on viewing a room for rent? Can I bring a friend, or is that weird and rude?
    I'll be viewing a room in a 3br apartment and meeting the two potential roommates.

If you're not too sure about what to look for then I don't see what the big deal is.

It's not a date or anything.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Jasc, if everything is glued and you can acceess both sides of the pipe run, disconnect the pipe from the the ac and then bring up the garden hose and some newspaper and plastic wrap (cling wrap).

Wet the newspaper, wad it up and wrap it around the hose then wrap it with plastic wrap. grip it like fuck and get your wife (or someone) to turn on the tap. This will blast through anything that is currently blocking up the pipe.

It also has a high chance of making a mess, but it is honest to god the best way to clean pipe blockages I've found. The only difficult thing you need to do is seal up all the openings bar the outlet, but it isn't an issue in this case as there should only be one.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    So I need to still do some touch up but I painted my non-functioning fireplace and a lamp today. Tell me what you think of the color and what suggestions you may have for what I can put in the gap of where the logs would normally be.

j8gxgh.jpg

fwjgnp.jpg

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I love it when people ask for your advice and then don't listen.

My in-laws found out the hard way that when you hire a live in caretaker you shouldn't allow them to forward their mail to the property. After I told them to not hire a live in and to definitely not allow anything that could be considered as establishing residency.

I just hope the in-laws follow my advice and do a proper eviction. But I'm pretty sure they won't.

• Options
    art4217art4217 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    yeah.... about that. unfortunately the exterior end of the pipe starts with a nice, tight 180 bend, and I know there are at least two 90 degrees inside the wall

god doesn't want me to fix this...

I could probably take the 180 right off... but I know there's 90's that I can't see.. geometry demands it, just based on where the pipe starts and ends, it would have to be a pretty malleable/soft wire

If you have two 90 degree turns in that short a run it got installed incorrectly. It wouldn't even have to be clogged if the water was pooling fast enough it would back up behind the 90 degree turns. Ideally it should be a straight run to a drain or to the outside. If you want to snake the line you can buy or rent a smaller diameter plumbers snake or a pipe inspection camera(more expensive). If the joints are glued and you can't pull them apart or unscrew them you will need a PVC pipe cutter to open them up. I wouldn't suggest that unless you are comfortable reinstalling plumbing.

art4217 on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    So I need to still do some touch up but I painted my non-functioning fireplace and a lamp today. Tell me what you think of the color and what suggestions you may have for what I can put in the gap of where the logs would normally be.

j8gxgh.jpg

fwjgnp.jpg

A bouquet of dried flowers is popular.

You could always throw in some stylishly gnarly logs and varnish or paint them.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Get a square monitor and hook up some fireplace footage.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am going to look at a couple of houses tomorrow. Or, well, one house and the place where a house will be, because one of them is a new build that hasn't been builded yet.

The new build is in a good location and will be super modern with good insulation and a 10 year warranty. 2 beds and 2 bathrooms. The older one is in a worse location but will be bigger, has 3 bedrooms.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the new one.

Still can't really believe I'm househunting.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Get a square monitor and hook up some fireplace footage.

Better yet: Baby doll parts. Great conversation starter.

• Options
    OK so who knows about electrical stuff some more.

@Bowen @chrishallett83

Remember when I had that bad light fixture and we thought it was a rat but actually it was just a terrible fixture

OK, well, I also have this large living room ceiling fan with a light in it. And since the day we moved in that light has not worked at all. (but the fan is fine) I figured, it's extremely high up in the air (beyond the reach of a standard ladder even), it's probably just burned out and the previous owners were too lazy to change it.

And then I tried to change it and it turns out the fixture weighs a ton and is a huge pain in the ass. So i just left it alone.

Well this morning, it started working! for three glorious seconds. and then it stopped working again.

A) Original concern from the old fixture? A bad wire to the fixture? Unlikely, as the fan has always worked perfectly, and the fan/light appear to be on the same switch, although it wouldn't turn on long enough for me to confirm that.

B) A lightbulb that's on it's last legs and just decided to work for a bit following a cold snap?

C) A shit ass 20 year old bargain basement ceiling fan that is wired properly but just has rotten innards and it needs to be replaced?

what do we think?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd say B, and maybe even C. If the fan is working fine it's probably B.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'd say D) it's an old fixture and it just shifted slightly, there was a connection and it worked randomly again until the heat built up, it expanded and it stopped again.

If you wanted to fix it it would probably be the cost of a new fan parts plus maybe 100, 150 for electrician labor.

Side note, you probably could do this (re wire it) it is not hard. However you shouldn't. because firstly if you sell the house, if they find out you did the electricity in discovery its a reason for them to walk away, and secondly if there is a fire and the insurance found out that you did the wiring not being an electrician, they would not pay out.

• Options
    i would never rewire it myself because it's 20+ feet in the air and extremely heavy. in fact it's probably a two man job. or at least a one strong man with a very good extension ladder job

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Candles could go in that fireplace.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Has anyone here had experience of being a live-in landlord, ie subletting a room? Particularly helpful if any UK people have. As this is a thing I am going to have to do.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    Has anyone here had experience of being a live-in landlord, ie subletting a room? Particularly helpful if any UK people have. As this is a thing I am going to have to do.

I owned a house and rented to friends.
    Things to do:
    1. Full lease terms etc.
    2. Do not let people slide on stuff more than once. I had a late rent penalty, and everyone got a free pass once.
    3. Make rent due a week before mortgage - this will allow you to let people synch up their paychecks to rent better without you sweating bullets.
    4. Spell out as much as you can in terms of damages/expectations, just don't be a dick (dishes do not go there, maintenance of property etc. does)

• Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular

@Bowen @chrishallett83

Remember when I had that bad light fixture and we thought it was a rat but actually it was just a terrible fixture

OK, well, I also have this large living room ceiling fan with a light in it. And since the day we moved in that light has not worked at all. (but the fan is fine) I figured, it's extremely high up in the air (beyond the reach of a standard ladder even), it's probably just burned out and the previous owners were too lazy to change it.

And then I tried to change it and it turns out the fixture weighs a ton and is a huge pain in the ass. So i just left it alone.

Well this morning, it started working! for three glorious seconds. and then it stopped working again.

A) Original concern from the old fixture? A bad wire to the fixture? Unlikely, as the fan has always worked perfectly, and the fan/light appear to be on the same switch, although it wouldn't turn on long enough for me to confirm that.

B) A lightbulb that's on it's last legs and just decided to work for a bit following a cold snap?

C) A shit ass 20 year old bargain basement ceiling fan that is wired properly but just has rotten innards and it needs to be replaced?

what do we think?

Going with what Blake said, there are some fans where the lighting fixture piece and the fan are separate entities with connecting wires inside. Those connections may be loose/corroded. It's generally simple to unbolt the light fixture piece, lower it, and inspect the wiring if thats the case and you have the right access to it. From the sounds of it though, it'd be a pain in the ass to do that.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »

-If you're the homeowner, make sure you get a proper lease written up. Go and look up the legal requirements of landlords https://www.gov.uk/browse/housing/landlords. Work out how to use the tenancy deposit scheme; its a faff but when you need that deposit it'll be worth it.
    -If you're renting and subletting either a) make sure they are on the rental contract post haste or b) don't sublet.

• Options
    Oricalm wrote: »

@Bowen @chrishallett83

what do we think?

Going with what Blake said, there are some fans where the lighting fixture piece and the fan are separate entities with connecting wires inside. Those connections may be loose/corroded. It's generally simple to unbolt the light fixture piece, lower it, and inspect the wiring if thats the case and you have the right access to it. From the sounds of it though, it'd be a pain in the ass to do that.

20+ feet in the air?

How much does a new fan and light cost?

Because it's in such a dangerous spot and you've had experience with bottom-of-the-bargain-bin fixtures before, and seeing as you're going to have to call out a sparky to fix this properly anyway, get a decent new fan and have the sparky fit it.

That is the path I see with the least cost and annoyance towards happy fan/light ownership.

It could be a dicky wire, but if that's because the unit is a cheap piece of crap in the first place, what's next to go after the spark wrangler fixes it?

• Options
    a quality fixture will be 200-250, probably 200 for the sparky to put it in, and I may need a special accessory to install it because it extends several feet from the actual mounting point... I figure it's a $500 job minimum

Not a major priority as long as it doesn't catch on fire.

I have a ladder but even if I got on the very top step i would only be able to scrape the fixture with my fingertips

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm assuming from your description it's just a pole-mounted ceiling fan. You can easily get a pole compatible with your new fan at Lowe's or wherever. Or hell, the existing pole is likely compatible, assuming you get a fan finished in the same sort of metal. Wiring should still be ripped out but electrician etc etc.

This discussion has been closed.