As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: "...the clock is striking Twelve's."

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Well no he knows about the silence because of the mark thing. Hes trained himself to recall what they are

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DavedeldotDavedeldot Registered User regular
    Regarding the most recent episode:
    So if there was nothing there all along, who wrote the LISTEN thing on the chalkboard at the beginning of the episode?

My take...
    He did and simply forgot. I think it's clear they're showing this Doctor has a more brilliant/eccentric side. He was travelling around by himself for however long and got bored or fixated on this whole "invisible companion" idea. I also wonder if they're not possibly toying around with the notion that the Doctor is getting relatively "old" for a Time Lord and is getting forgetful. In Deep Breath I first thought his struggling to remember the SS Madame de Pompadour was just his "usual" post-regeneration fatigue... I mean come on, this was a woman he fell in love with seeming pretty hard. Then I remember that this happened over 900 years ago to him.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I'm still miffed about the not kid under the blanket.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    New Doctor's new attitude is such a brilliant watch. Would be an absolute dick to actually travel with though. Give it a few more episodes and I could totally see Clara saying screw this for a lark.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I love that new dynamic they have. The adventure is still fun, but I feel like Clara's still just doing Eleven a favor, and eventually she'll stop mourning him, stop feeling like she owes Twelve anything and just up and leave.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    jclast wrote: »
    Mattitude wrote: »
    The thing is, in a fantasy show about time travel, I think it's pretty okay that the mythology and continuity is inconsistent.

[nerd rant] Doctor Who is science fiction, the Doctor isn't a wizard. [nerd rant]

I mean, you're not strictly wrong, but the Doctor had may as well be a wizard, the sonic a wand, and the TARDIS his bitchin' time-traveling horse. They don't lean heavily on the science like somebody like Heinlein or Scalzi does.

Funnily enough, I was going through one of the old Handbooks from the '90s last night and found this Hartnell quote from 1965:
    The scriptwriters sometimes try to make Dr. Who use expressions like "centrifugal force", but I refuse. If it all gets too technical, the children don't understand and they lose interest. After all, it's an adventure story, not a scientific documentary. And Dr. Who isn't a scientist. He's a wizard.

Even though I love when the Doctor goes all scientist/inventor (and I do like my Who to use somewhat firmer science), I thought that was a lovely little quote. Partly because I didn't realise the magic/science discussion went back that far, but mostly because it shows how wonderful and invested in the role Hartnell was.

Bethryn wrote: »

Of course Moffat wrote that.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Mattitude wrote: »
    The thing is, in a fantasy show about time travel, I think it's pretty okay that the mythology and continuity is inconsistent.

[nerd rant] Doctor Who is science fiction, the Doctor isn't a wizard. [nerd rant]

I mean, you're not strictly wrong, but the Doctor had may as well be a wizard, the sonic a wand, and the TARDIS his bitchin' time-traveling horse. They don't lean heavily on the science like somebody like Heinlein or Scalzi does.

Funnily enough, I was going through one of the old Handbooks from the '90s last night and found this Hartnell quote from 1965:
    The scriptwriters sometimes try to make Dr. Who use expressions like "centrifugal force", but I refuse. If it all gets too technical, the children don't understand and they lose interest. After all, it's an adventure story, not a scientific documentary. And Dr. Who isn't a scientist. He's a wizard.

Even though I love when the Doctor goes all scientist/inventor (and I do like my Who to use somewhat firmer science), I thought that was a lovely little quote. Partly because I didn't realise the magic/science discussion went back that far, but mostly because it shows how wonderful and invested in the role Hartnell was.

Bethryn wrote: »

Of course Moffat wrote that.

By alot of accounts Hartnell basically got fired from the position of being the Doctor.

Which is sad because he was also apparently a wonderful, if difficult to work with, man.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Okay. I can buy that it was a floof. I guess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I love that new dynamic they have. The adventure is still fun, but I feel like Clara's still just doing Eleven a favor, and eventually she'll stop mourning him, stop feeling like she owes Twelve anything and just up and leave.

Eh, the end of the first episode kind of contradicts that. She's not doing him a favor, she's accepting it's still him. Now she could just get tired of it, any sane person would, but the Doctor being the cause seems counter to what they're going for.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It totally did not know about the wizard quote from Hartnel. So, the show is playing off it's roots more that I thought.

Really, this episode makes you kind of sad for the Doctor. He is acting somewhat damaged lately.

• Options
    Eh, there were way too many coincidences
    for there to be nothing there. They got too clever with there being nothing, so there's only nothing because they say so instead of what happened supporting it. The Doctor doesn't know about the writers, though, so him going after it makes sense. Clara wasn't sure, either. And, of course, we know there are things out there even if they weren't in the episode this time.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    I think the thing I enjoy the most about Capaldi's doctor is that he has no difficulty with any of his technology. Aside from the thing with Clara, the TARDIS goes where he wants it to go and does it with the flip of a single switch. The screwdriver does what he wants when he wants it.

Regarding the most recent episode:
    So if there was nothing there all along, who wrote the LISTEN thing on the chalkboard at the beginning of the episode?

Also regarding the most recent episode:
    The Doctor, probably. Clara even comments it looks like his handwriting.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Anyone noticed how calm the TARDIS has been in flight since the orange makeover? The 'parking brake' vwarp vwarp is much quieter than the ticking n' clicking of the rotating rings now, and no one's been tossed about or even jerked when it starts moving.

I remember thinking the same thing about Eleven's TARDIS for his first few episodes. And then he started 'maintaining' it and suddenly it was a rough ride. :P

Ed; also a little continuity error with how the TARDIS works in the latest episode
    Clara had to stick her hands in goopy fluid controls for the telepathic circuits. In Name of the Doctor, Eleven took her down under the console and had to physically wire Clara into it to do the same thing. It's the same (albeit different coloured) control room, shoulda been the same process.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    They had to change the mechanism for the story. It had to be something she could do on her own for the last hop. It made for a better scene due to the lighting and whatnot being up-top, too, and we could see that she was putting the TARDIS in flight from the console. The scene being essentially just wires underneath the console would have lost all of that communication to the audience, plus the danger was visible topside with the rattling doors. The scene from Name of the Doctor was a dark, brooding monologue from Eleven, so it fit being in a dark part of the TARDIS.

Samphis on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Samphis wrote: »
    They had to change the mechanism for the story. It had to be something she could do on her own for the last hop. It made for a better scene due to the lighting and whatnot being up-top, too, and we could see that she was putting the TARDIS in flight from the console. The scene being essentially just wires underneath the console would have lost all of that communication to the audience, plus the danger was visible topside with the rattling doors. The scene from Name of the Doctor was a dark, brooding monologue from Eleven, so it fit being in a dark part of the TARDIS.
    It's not like he hasn't had any time to go and make some changes to the layout. Actually, wasn't he specifically picking up Clara to do the telepathic thing with? Not the least bit unreasonable he built the easier to access station before hand as preparation.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    You know it occurs to me the cloister bell was going off at the end.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    What exactly is the significance of that Bell? To me it seems like the Cloister Bell goes off when shit starts getting real.

• Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    PacMan1979 wrote: »
    What exactly is the significance of that Bell? To me it seems like the Cloister Bell goes off when shit starts getting real.

It's like an automated Red Alert. It goes off when the TARDIS, Doctor or Universe is in immediate danger.
    Fun fact: The sound is a gong being rung while under water.

Samphis on
  • Options
    The Doctor was essentially being a moron and risked his life. That set the bell off.

• Options
    PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks for the clarification.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Samphis wrote: »
    PacMan1979 wrote: »

It's like an automated Red Alert. It goes off when the TARDIS, Doctor or Universe is in immediate danger.
    Fun fact: The sound is a gong being rung while under water.

I quite liked that it just went off without much gosh wow the cloister bell is going off. Shit was already real. The bell just emphasised the point.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Anyone noticed how calm the TARDIS has been in flight since the orange makeover? The 'parking brake' vwarp vwarp is much quieter than the ticking n' clicking of the rotating rings now, and no one's been tossed about or even jerked when it starts moving.

I remember thinking the same thing about Eleven's TARDIS for his first few episodes. And then he started 'maintaining' it and suddenly it was a rough ride. :P

Ed; also a little continuity error with how the TARDIS works in the latest episode
    Clara had to stick her hands in goopy fluid controls for the telepathic circuits. In Name of the Doctor, Eleven took her down under the console and had to physically wire Clara into it to do the same thing. It's the same (albeit different coloured) control room, shoulda been the same process.

Wasn't there a point with Eleven where
    He was in a ship that had the goopy controls, and he went "Ooh, psychic controls, I love this"?

I can 100% see him deciding at some point that he wanted psychic controls of his very own in the TARDIS because they were fun. Actually, that's exactly what I thought had happened.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    It's probably a bit more like the sonic being voice activated.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It totally did not know about the wizard quote from Hartnel. So, the show is playing off it's roots more that I thought.

Really, this episode makes you kind of sad for the Doctor. He is acting somewhat damaged lately.

It comes across to me as kind of lost because he has yet to discover a purpose
    I know its old news now, but spoiling it just in case, because he no longer has the guilt of Gallifrey weighing on him and driving him anymore thanks to the events in The Day of the Doctor. So now he's adrift, aimless, drifting from one spontaneous lark to another.

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    War Doctor is my new favourite Doctor. Sorry Tom. Has the eu started filling in his backstory?

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    I love 9. He is my doctor.

But by God, Capaldi is almost there. I may never refer to him as his number. What is it anyway?

Fantastic
  • Options
    Unlucky wrote: »
    I love 9. He is my doctor.

But by God, Capaldi is almost there. I may never refer to him as his number. What is it anyway?

Twirteenlve

• Options
    Muddypaws wrote: »
    War Doctor is my new favourite Doctor. Sorry Tom. Has the eu started filling in his backstory?

Yes! There's a pretty great novel called Engines of War out that leads into the last day of the Time War as seen from both the End of Time and Day of the Doctor perspectives.

It's also worth rewatching The Five Doctors before reading Engines of War.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I know its old news now, but spoiling it just in case, because he no longer has the guilt of Gallifrey weighing on him and driving him anymore thanks to the events in The Day of the Doctor. So now he's adrift, aimless, drifting from one spontaneous lark to another.
    Still, he needs to find Gallifrey.

One problem with the end of the 50th Anniversary is that they did not setup a way for the Eccleston Doctor to think he destroyed Gallifrey.

• Options

One problem with the end of the 50th Anniversary is that they did not setup a way for the Eccleston Doctor to think he destroyed Gallifrey.

Yeah, they did: No one before Smith remembers.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Muddypaws wrote: »

Yes! There's a pretty great novel called Engines of War out that leads into the last day of the Time War as seen from both the End of Time and Day of the Doctor perspectives.

It's also worth rewatching The Five Doctors before reading Engines of War.

I echo this. Though I'm only halfway through Engines Of War I think it is fantastic.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Wibbley etc.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

I think that was one of the points of the Dalek episode, as well. This Doctor still hates the Daleks, but he's extremely ambivalent about "Destroy the Daleks!" being the defining point of his existence.

If they are going to keep going to the Dalek well - which they are actually contractually obligated to do at least once a season - I'd love to see a story based around the Doctor taking what he learned from the "good" Dalek and trying to save/redeem the Dalek race. That'd actually be a great story to base a Davros return around.

• Options

Nice little touch I liked from the 50th: the last events Nine and Ten would remember from the War Doctor's life would be Gallifrey being (apparently) destroyed, the Daleks being (apparently) wiped out and War laughing as he began to regenerate.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Yeah, this needs to be reaffirmed; they outright said at the end of it that they'd forget as soon as they left, and that only 11 would remember because that's when time caught up to the actual event. There's even a scene where Tennant is asking Smith spoilery stuff because 'he won't remember anyway'.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

Yeah, this needs to be reaffirmed; they outright said at the end of it that they'd forget as soon as they left, and that only 11 would remember because that's when time caught up to the actual event. There's even a scene where Tennant is asking Smith spoilery stuff because 'he won't remember anyway'.

"I don't want to go "

"He always says that"

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Man the anniversary stuff was so good. So many little things everywhere to catch. Night/Day/Time was just all around some of the best Who ever.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I still don't feel like he's fully formed yet.

I feel like there's an engine here, slowing building up power.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I loved Night and Day, but Time was balls on a stick.

This discussion has been closed.