As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: "...the clock is striking Twelve's."

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    no u

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Still surprised they managed to resist calling Capaldi's first episode Dawn of the Doctor

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    Or "Twelfth Night"

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Only tangently related, but looks like Matt Smith is going to be in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/doctor-who-star-matt-smith-733780

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, but WHY would they forget? I am not seeing the mechanism for them to forget. Did the bomb do it?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah, but WHY would they forget? I am not seeing the mechanism for them to forget. Did the bomb do it?

Maybe?

AFAIK that's always been a multi-doctor story 'rule'. None of the past doctors ever remember the event until the event actually takes place in the most recent doctors timeline.

The only time I can think of them breaking that was a questionably-cannon crossover with Davidson and Smith for a red nose bit.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They said, and I almost quote, the timelines were "out of sync".

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The exact phrase they used was "The time lines are out of sync. You can't retain it.".

Which is obviously a 2 line handwave, sure. But if you want to analyze it, it's probably also a way to avoid major paradoxes and shit. Because otherwise 9 and on don't have the guilt, meaning they'd obviously take much different actions, changing way too much of the future. Grandfather paradox, butterfly paradox, all the paradox, cats and dogs living together, and so on and so on.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular

Maybe?

AFAIK that's always been a multi-doctor story 'rule'. None of the past doctors ever remember the event until the event actually takes place in the most recent doctors timeline.

The only time I can think of them breaking that was a questionably-cannon crossover with Davidson and Smith for a red nose bit.

Which means we'll never see a multi-Doctor story where one of the 'adventuring' Doctors is a future one we haven't seen yet. :( Like if The Three Doctors was from Two's perspective, that is.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Hey wasn't there an episode where the Timelords were evil? I seem to recall something along those lines which is a little odd now that we have a new timeline.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Hey wasn't there an episode where the Timelords were evil? I seem to recall something along those lines which is a little odd now that we have a new timeline.

End of Time.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    So were they never evil now that everything was undone?

yossarian_lives on

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

We don't know specifics yet.

edit: Rassilon was always an evil dick Time Lord. It's his thing.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited September 2014

We don't know specifics yet.

edit: Rassilon was always an evil dick Time Lord. It's his thing.

Actually we do; they mention in Day of the Doctor that Rassilon was implementing a plan without the knowledge or support of the council, more or less saying he had gone rogue.

And in End of Time it was never said that it was a universal goal of the time lords.

So the time lords at large were more or less absolved of that thing; but they were still considered dangerous enough for other reasons, by the Doctor, to warrant his belief that he destroyed them to save the universe...but good enough for him to lament it constantly and have the choice dramatically effect his personality.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Well the master was just one dude and he did a shitload of damage. A universe with an intact Gallifrey is a lot more dangerous.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Unlucky wrote: »
    I love 9. He is my doctor.

But by God, Capaldi is almost there. I may never refer to him as his number. What is it anyway?

One.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

Maybe?

The most recent Doctor in that episode was Capaldi.

I wonder if we'll get to see Capaldi catching up to that?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    We should, it's a good idea. Even if it's just Clara going "And where have you been?!" "Gallifrey, remember?" "Oh.". It make a good opening to an episode before the main event too. Or ending. Something.

• Options
    edited September 2014

Maybe?

That one's easily worked around, though. Eleven might not have been aware that Twelve was there, and Twelve thought at some point that he might duck back and quietly lend a hand.

Edit: That said, there was the Curator...

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

Maybe?

That one's easily worked around, though. Eleven might not have been aware that Twelve was there, and Twelve thought at some point that he might duck back and quietly lend a hand.

Trying to work the curator into any kind serious discussion is going to be entirely fruitless. It was clearly inteded to be a massively tongue in cheek fan wink, not a serious bit of canon.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I thought the desync was the Portal time travel. I figure the moment allowed 12 to show up

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I like to think the Doctor will end up being an immortal deity-like being at some point.

• Options
    Oh. I have an idea. He could split into all of his versions and they live out their lives. That would be a great ending.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2014
    I like to think the Doctor will end up being an immortal deity-like being at some point.

There was a plan to do pretty much this around the seventh Doctor. It was called the Cartmel Masterplan, and involved setting the Doctor up as something on the lines of Rassilon and Omega, a figure that had always been around. A spin-off novel, Lungbarrow, used some of these ideas.

Bogart on
  • Options

Maybe?

Trying to work the curator into any kind serious discussion is going to be entirely fruitless. It was clearly inteded to be a massively tongue in cheek fan wink, not a serious bit of canon.

*covers ears*

LALALALALALA

There are ways to resolve it into actual canon if you want to believe. And I want to believe. :D

• Options
    See, even Geth's with me on this. Right, Geth?
    Bogart wrote: »

There was a plan to do pretty much this around the seventh Doctor. It was called the Cartmel Masterplan, and involved setting the Doctor up as something on the lines of Rassilon and Omega, a figure that had always been around. A spin-off novel, Lungbarrow, used some of these ideas.

There's this great story about Silver Nemesis in particular, when the writer pitched it to JNT, he more or less said, "I want to answer the question 'Doctor who?' and the answer is 'God'." and JNT basically replies, "Yyyeah, okay, but you can't say it."

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I see the Curator as #4 personally.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Back in the 90s, there was a VHS release of the incomplete 1979 serial Shada where the missing scenes were covered by linking narration delivered by a silver-haired Tom Baker as he wandered around the old Doctor Who exhibit at MOMI. And he's pottering about, credited as Tom Baker, but narrating as if he is the Doctor and this is just him telling this story that happened to him years back.

As soon as I watched The Day of the Doctor, the Curator and Shada VHS Tom Baker became one and the same in my head canon. I don't know how or where they fit, but they're the same person/incarnation for me.

Edit: Yet another possibility is that the Curator is actually Tom Baker. Like, real life Tom Baker who's somehow slipped into the Doctor Who universe.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Back in the 90s, there was a VHS release of the incomplete 1979 serial Shada where the missing scenes were covered by linking narration delivered by a silver-haired Tom Baker as he wandered around the old Doctor Who exhibit at MOMI. And he's pottering about, credited as Tom Baker, but narrating as if he is the Doctor and this is just him telling this story that happened to him years back.

As soon as I watched The Day of the Doctor, the Curator and Shada VHS Tom Baker became one and the same in my head canon. I don't know how or where they fit, but they're the same person/incarnation for me.

I actually own that, thanks in no small part to my father who is a Whovian of old.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I see the Curator as #4 personally.

The implication I got was sometime super far ahead at a time we the veiwer will never see the Doctor masters regeneration and sometimes decides to go back to old personalities on a lark. So it was four just re regenerated

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

Edit: Yet another possibility is that the Curator is actually Tom Baker. Like, real life Tom Baker who's somehow slipped into the Doctor Who universe.

At times I'm fairly certain that Tom Baker and Dr Who are the same person in Tom Baker's head canon.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Isn't he already?
    From a linear time perspective, he exists in the past, present and the future because that's what he's done in his past. He can't really die from a linear perspective, because he's already been in the future.
    I mean, if he were to die today, he'd still be there tomorrow (or next year, or next century etc) because he'd already been there and done that in his past.

• Options
    Random question: has it ever been explicitly stated in Who history, when the Doctor, and the Time Lords, existed relative to our current time?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I doubt its ever been specified when 'relative time' is when it comes to gallifrey. whenever they mentioned something about a date in time lord history they just used the term 'relative time'. Since time itself was a weapon in the time war, I would imagine that it took place across all of time and space. Sure it may be odd that all these beings were suddenly without planets at about the same time, but remember that also encompassed thousands of years at least. (With the pompay rock aliens compared to lots of others that took place within a few years of season 1.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Yeah, I know it'd be hard to nail down given their mastery over time, but the Doctor quotes years all the time, so there still is a linear progression of time in the universe; and while the Time War did encompass all of time and space, there still had to be a linear beginning...and there still had to be a linear date to when Gallifrey rose to power and the Doctor was born.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well they've fond of using said joke:

"You look human!"
    "No, you look Time Lord. We came first."

So they as a species existed before humans and Earth. That's probably as concrete as you're going to get though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Random question: has it ever been explicitly stated in Who history, when the Doctor, and the Time Lords, existed relative to our current time?
    IIRC, early on, before the details were nailed down, I believe Hartnell tells the humans he's from their future

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    What I always suspected with regards to Amy, Rory and River was that they where going to be the birth of Time Lord society.

Amy being the Girl That Waited, Rory spending 2000 years as a robot Last Centurion and River being conceived in the Tardis showing that normal humans could gain time lord abilities. That's a lot of time lordy stuff. Especially with the titles given to Amy and Rory. Names like the Doctor and the Master being in some way a description of the person.

Add in Clara as the Impossible Girl and it seems like the Moffatt is very fond of making the companions acquire Time lord traits and mucking about with time. Danny Pink being the Soldier Boy in this picture. Have the companions dumped into the past with a bunch of other humans and have the planet have orange skies. Fast forward a few thousand years and Rassilon appears. After all Gallifrey has to start somewhere, even if its timelocked.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    What I always suspected with regards to Amy, Rory and River was that they where going to be the birth of Time Lord society.

Amy being the Girl That Waited, Rory spending 2000 years as a robot Last Centurion and River being conceived in the Tardis showing that normal humans could gain time lord abilities. That's a lot of time lordy stuff. Especially with the titles given to Amy and Rory. Names like the Doctor and the Master being in some way a description of the person.

Add in Clara as the Impossible Girl and it seems like the Moffatt is very fond of making the companions acquire Time lord traits and mucking about with time. Danny Pink being the Soldier Boy in this picture. Have the companions dumped into the past with a bunch of other humans and have the planet have orange skies. Fast forward a few thousand years and Rassilon appears. After all Gallifrey has to start somewhere, even if its timelocked.

This has crossed my mind too...

But I hope to god that it never, ever, ever, happens.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    IIRC, early on, before the details were nailed down, I believe Hartnell tells the humans he's from their future

That still jives. The Doctor is from our future, but the Time Lords have been around since before humanity came about.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.