As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: "...the clock is striking Twelve's."

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    wandering wrote: »
    One time I came home to find my sister watching Love and Monsters and I'm like 'hey, I like this episode, I don't know why it got so many bad reviews online' and she's like 'what?! it's one of the best episodes in the whole series!' and I'm like 'I know right?' and then we brofisted

Then you saw the ending vomited for an hour and came to your senses right?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Impossible since times overlap. :P

Also you run into issues like 'Which version of the sinking of Atlantis should we watch first?' and 'When is any of this UNIT stuff even set? No, seriously, does anyone have any idea?'

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Did anyone besides me think that Pierce’s line in this week’s Community about ranking his marriages was a stealth reference to Doctor Who? “If I had to rank them, I’d go 4th, 7th, 2nd, 5th, 1st, 3rd, 6th ... No, wait, 1st, then 5th.”

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I ahve kind of grown fond of love and monsters. It's a neat idea. The only thing I'd change is
    I'd probably have killed off moaning myrtle.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Out of pity if anything.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Also, watching from the beginning of the restart, the confrontation between the Daleks and the Cybermen is just the best thing.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Yeah the trash talk was pretty great. I kinda wish however that we would have an episode where the old cybermen meet the new cybermen.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I ahve kind of grown fond of love and monsters. It's a neat idea. The only thing I'd change is
    I'd probably have killed off moaning myrtle.
    It really was not a happy ending. Then, on top of that, the whole implied blow job thing.
    Capaldi doctor would not have bothered.

That is what I like about British TV. Way more dark.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Also, watching from the beginning of the restart, the confrontation between the Daleks and the Cybermen is just the best thing.

Identify yourselves!
    Daleks do not identify themselves !
    Confirming you have identified yourselves as Daleks!

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    NuCompanions:

#1 Rory
    #2 Donna
    #3 Wilf
    #4 Amy
    #5 Rose
    #6 Clara
    #7 Martha
    #8 Mickey

Rory, Donna and Wilf all grounded the Doctor in interesting ways, and provided a dynamic that was something other than "plucky young girl with remarkable personal faith who probably wants to date the Doctor". And Amy was actually able to transcend that substantially because of Rory being in the picture, while Rose actually took it to its unfortunate conclusion.

But then my opinions are pretty odd; I thought God Complex was excellent (and a better send-off to Rory and Amy than The Angels Take Manhattan ever was).

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I think I am the only person who the companions are mostly just background noise for. I mean I enjoy some more that others, Clara is ok (bossy control freak aspect aside) but I am all about the Doctor. I couldn't rank companions since I don't pay that much attention to them.

Basically the only strong opinion I've ever had RE:companions is Donna is annoying.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The best part of Queer as Folk (UK) is when one of the characters breaks up with someone because he can't name all the actors who played the Doctor:
    "How many Doctor Whos can you name?"

"What do you mean?"

"All the actors who played Doctor Who – name them."

"I don’t know."

"Just try."

"Well. John Pertree, Tom Baker, and um…"

"Is that it? Any more?"

"Eh, the bloke with white hair."

"William Hartnell. Any more?"

"Vince, what the hell does it matter? Vince?"

"Sorry, it's breaking up. We’re breaking up. Sorry."

wandering on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Bethryn wrote: »
    NuCompanions:

#1 Rory
    #2 Donna
    #3 Wilf
    #4 Amy
    #5 Rose
    #6 Clara
    #7 Martha
    #8 Mickey

this looks uh. . .

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Neither Rory nor Mickey were really companions though?
    Ricky was the companion and the Doctor was Rory's companion.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Rory was most certainly an actual companion. As far as I'm concerned, Amy was the tagalong.

While Donna is still my favorite companion of new Who, Wilf is far and away the best part time companion. He's just the best, at everything.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    The best part of Queer as Folk (UK) is when one of the characters breaks up with someone because he can't name all the actors who played the Doctor
    And that RTD wrote the line "McGann doesn't count" in one of those exchanges, only to get the reins of Doctor Who a couple years later and explicitly acknowledge McGann, making him count!

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

Identify yourselves!

I'd forgotten this exchange, but I've been doing my own rewatch, and I cracked up throughout. Such a great back and forth, and it just keeps going. Love it.

I'd also forgotten how much goofier the Davies run was. Not just the events and plots, but the style of jokes, the pacing, even the camerawork all feel like a much sillier show. I've had a hard time maintaining interest throughout Moffat's tenure, and I think some of the show's light hearted nature might have been reduced once Smith stepped in. Not done away with, but reined in along with some of the more extreme melodrama.

I'm looking forward to hitting the changeover so I can reassess the last few series in that light.

Also, as somebody who has shit on the human John Smith character from the Family of Blood business, I'll scale back my opinion that the guy is an irredeemable piece of shit after watching those episodes again. Instead he is a piece of shit with a glimmer of something better. Dude still sends children to shoot at people, and doesn't have a moral crisis about it until the immediate threat is over. Which could also describe the Doctor, I suppose, so there's that.

All the same, Joan Redfern is the real moral hero of those episodes.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Identify yourselves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBSOhODoch0

• Options
    Unfortunately Dalek "Oh no he didnt" died in the time war

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

Identify yourselves!

There is one thing Cybermen excel at over Daleks...
    What is that?
    DYING!

(and yeah, that may be my favorite episode :D)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That ep also has the awesome Doctor giggle

THE DOCTOR WILL OPEN THE ARC
    Nyahahahah the Doctor will not!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    What happened to Sue White (Missy)? Significant mystery scenes in the first two episodes, then not so much as a glimpse for the next three! Very odd.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    What happened to Sue White (Missy)? Significant mystery scenes in the first two episodes, then not so much as a glimpse for the next three! Very odd.
    She got a mention in Sherwood - the robot ship's navigation was set to "The Promised Land" and the Doc mentioned the 'woman in the shop' regarding the phone ringing at the start of Time Heist, if we're assuming that woman is Missy.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some of these episodes may have had Missy scenes planned or even filmed but that were cut for time. After all, twice is enough for us to get the point; I'm certainly not going to be surprised if, say, the Sheriff of Nottingham turns up alongside cyber-guy and soldier girl in the big finale.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Oh hey, someone put the Time Heist music up on youtube. Even if it does have the episode background in it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZzmJhYp2wM

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Yeah the trash talk was pretty great. I kinda wish however that we would have an episode where the old cybermen meet the new cybermen.

I got annoyed recently when I read the Neil Gaiman interview from the Cybermen issue of the Essential Doctor Who series. Apparently, he wanted the Cybermen in the museum to have been Tenth Planet Cybermen and there was going to a scene at the end with a Cyberman council headed by a Tenth Planet Cyberman.

Thanks for ruining my dream, script editors, producers and budget allocators.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So how many people here noticed that the Narrator from 'The Stanley Parable' was the voice of the Bank's computer system?

Kudos if you did. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Casual wrote: »
    I just want a mate
    You just want to mate?

Donna best, yus.

Rory close second. Amy distant third.

DRX, as much as I respect your insight on all things who, I am not sure you will ever convince me that Donna was not really annoying.
    Donna is so obnoxious as a character that I literally cannot even understand why anyone could like her over everybody else as a companion, unless the factors are entirely a) was not interested in the amazing time-traveling space-god (which was overused, but c'mon, at least that's pretty reasonable) or b) based liking Donna solely on the great job that the actress did of portraying a fantastically irritating character who had no place running around time and space. I genuinely question what I missed that other people see in her, because I can't see anything.

I mean, I can totally get people not like Rose or Martha or Amy or Rory for whatever reasons. But Donna always felt like... a punishment for the Doctor, not a companion. It was like he called up a temp agency and they said "sorry, you are too awesome and have too much fun doing amazing things, here's the human equivalent of a boulder around your neck because you just aren't suffering enough." Least worthwhile companion to show the universe to, by a wide margin. Sure, we don't at all need plucky young women to be Companions, but there were zillion better options there than somebody who you would hate spending five minutes on a bus ride with.

Even drag-along Mickey, who starts out as an obnoxious character, figures out how to make something of the amazing things the Doctor shows him, and without needing some deus ex machina to make it happen.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Hell, the dude that showed up for all of an episode in Season 1 and got his brain replaced by a satellite dish or whatever. He was more sympathetic and enjoyable than Donna.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    My weird guy list.

Rory
    Captain Jack
    Amy
    Martha
    Wilf
    Rose
    Clara
    Mickey
    Donna

actually I don't think Mickey can be counted as a companion. I interjected Jack into the scene when I realized this. As for the doctors.

Capaldi
    Tennant
    Smith
    Eccleston

i may be broken.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    One thing I've liked about the new season is that there seems to be much less fainting on the part of the rest of the cast whenever the Doctor shows up. The bad guys don't hiss in terror and he's not the most famous man in the galaxy. He's a guy who shows up and surprises people and has adventures and nobody in the background makes a speech about how amazing they've heard he is.

Except the Daleks, I guess.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    One thing I've liked about the new season is that there seems to be much less fainting on the part of the rest of the cast whenever the Doctor shows up. The bad guys don't hiss in terror and he's not the most famous man in the galaxy. He's a guy who shows up and surprises people and has adventures and nobody in the background makes a speech about how amazing they've heard he is.

Except the Daleks, I guess.

It's fine when the Daleks do it; they're his arch-enemies. It wouldn't do for Dr. Doom to have to be reminded who ACCURSED RICHARDS is every week, after all.

But yes, I agree. Maybe it's just dumb luck and we got a run of episodes that coincientally happened not to do this annoying thing, but I certainly hope it marks the start of a trend.

• Options
    Also I have been watching Seeds of Doom for the first time in several decades. I like the way the show basically took on familiar SF/horror stories and tried to crank the concept up a little. Brain of Morbius is obviously Frankenstein, and Seeds of Doom is obviously The Thing.

Again, the wide and well-developed supporting cast is a joy. You have the three Arctic scientists, the bad guy, his butler, a corrupt UNIT official, a couple of higher up UNIT dudes, the bad guy's two henchmen, a dotty old lady and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all. And almost all are well developed. Elbow room to do this sort of thing was something that had to be traded away, which is a shame, but as Jake has noted several times even with more space in something like the specials, Moffat strggles to give supporting characters definition.

And look, it's Boycey from Only Fools And Horses as a henchman and Camp Freddie from The Italian Job as the bad guy.

• Options
    Cyvros wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

I got annoyed recently when I read the Neil Gaiman interview from the Cybermen issue of the Essential Doctor Who series. Apparently, he wanted the Cybermen in the museum to have been Tenth Planet Cybermen and there was going to a scene at the end with a Cyberman council headed by a Tenth Planet Cyberman.

Thanks for ruining my dream, script editors, producers and budget allocators.

Theyve been trying to bring back.og cybermen since the next doctor

• Options
    We're back to the Daleks not knowing who he is, right?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I don't remember. At the end of Asylum of the Daleks they didn't recognise him but in Smith's last episode they must have done, as he had apparently kept them at bay for several hundred years. In that town called Christmas Town for no reason.

• Options
    Yeh, when Capaldi meets the broken Dalek it says "Doctor?" and he's all "how do you know who I am?"

Might've just meant the new face tho.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It was also waiting for an actual doctor.

• Options
    Clara erased their ability to detect and remember him . Tasha just told them who he was and probably not accurately

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD__LyLpymY

say what you will about Donna that scene will make me laugh every single time

This discussion has been closed.