As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: "...the clock is striking Twelve's."

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Well the daleks knew enough about him to want to keep You Know What from You Know Whating back in teh Xmas special.

Then they also watched him regenerate and take out a fleet.

So even if they didn't know about him before, seems like they'd be back up to speed.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    Yeah the trash talk was pretty great. I kinda wish however that we would have an episode where the old cybermen meet the new cybermen.

I got annoyed recently when I read the Neil Gaiman interview from the Cybermen issue of the Essential Doctor Who series. Apparently, he wanted the Cybermen in the museum to have been Tenth Planet Cybermen and there was going to a scene at the end with a Cyberman council headed by a Tenth Planet Cyberman.

Thanks for ruining my dream, script editors, producers and budget allocators.

Theyve been trying to bring back.og cybermen since the next doctor

Gaiman didn't just mean Mondasian Cybermen in general. He meant the actual Tenth Planet Cybermen, cloth masks and all. He assumed they'd be able to bring one or two in from the Doctor Who Experience.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I doubt well ever see those again. Maybe the ones with flesh hands updated a bit. I know Davies and Moffat ran into budget issues anytime they tried to get rid of the cybus logo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    There was a pretty great part of that Essential Doctor Who issue where the designer of the original Tenth Planet Cybermen went back to the original brief and redid the design from scratch, in part to make it more practical and comfortable for the actors to wear. It turned out pretty well, I thought.
    nCVgxP4.jpg

Cyvros on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Also, watching from the beginning of the restart, the confrontation between the Daleks and the Cybermen is just the best thing.

Identify yourselves!
    Daleks do not identify themselves !
    Confirming you have identified yourselves as Daleks!

Dude still sends children to shoot at people, and doesn't have a moral crisis about it until the immediate threat is over. Which could also describe the Doctor, I suppose, so there's that.

All the same, Joan Redfern is the real moral hero of those episodes.

I think your missing the point here. The doctor became human. They were basically doing the standard hollywood tripe that says humans are screwed up and the worse aliens in the universe at heart. The Doctor just because he suddenly had one heart now can do things like sending kids to war. Only a few mutant humans are worth being around.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Everyone remembers Adam, right?

Apparently he becomes a super villain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Mitchell_(Doctor_Who)

Also, can anyone give a short hand version of what a tenth planet Cyberman is?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Everyone remembers Adam, right?
    Apparently he becomes a super villain.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Mitchell_(Doctor_Who)
    Also, can anyone give a short hand version of what a tenth planet Cyberman is?

Cyberman from one of the early series, titled The Tenth Planet.
    Due to the time and budget constraints, the Cyberman presented here looked a lot different from the current versions.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Wait, what's going on with Adam Mitchell? Please tell me he's not coming back.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Wait, what's going on with Adam Mitchell? Please tell me he's not coming back.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In the comic book series Prisoners of Time, released to celebrate the 50th anniversary, Adam is the villain. After his mother dies he acquires a Vortex Manipulator and plans to kidnap the Doctor's companions for revenge due to the Doctor preventing him from acquiring technology that could have saved her.

• Options
    Oh, I literally could not care less what goes on in anything that is not the show.

=P

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It was stupid because they never intended his upgrade to be anything but a selfish power grab. Look at where he worked. Dude was using the Tannen guide to time travel.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    God damn. I was looking forward to seeing "Midnight" again, and it's still better than I remembered. That episode is arguably one of the best science fiction short stories ever told.

Fun thing: if you watch this episode with captions on, the dialogue is presented on screen twice. Slowly moves from presenting them sequentially to simultaneously and then sequentially again as the episode progresses, even when the repeating character isn't visible. Kind of genius.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    God damn. I was looking forward to seeing "Midnight" again, and it's still better than I remembered. That episode is arguably one of the best science fiction short stories ever told.

Fun thing: if you watch this episode with captions on, the dialogue is presented on screen twice. Slowly moves from presenting them sequentially to simultaneously and then sequentially again as the episode progresses, even when the repeating character isn't visible. Kind of genius.
    I just watched that one yesterday because I was trying to see if I just was being too harsh on Donna.

Fantastic episode. Which Donna spent the entire time fucking sunbathing, indoors by a pool, because she didn't want to go see a sapphire waterfall, so she, by no small coincidence of this being a great episode, was not involved except for a couple minutes at the beginning and the end.

Yeah. I think my problem is that I wasn't too harsh enough on Donna.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

I just watched that one yesterday because I was trying to see if I just was being too harsh on Donna.

Fantastic episode. Which Donna spent the entire time fucking sunbathing, indoors by a pool, because she didn't want to go see a sapphire waterfall, so she, by no small coincidence of this being a great episode, was not involved except for a couple minutes at the beginning and the end.

Watching from the beginning (well, the re-beginning) with my wife, I have only seen one Donna episode so far (we're up to Daleks in Manhatten).

I love Donna a little bit, I also like Martha so far.

I'll see if that changes over time.

Taramoor on
  • Options

To be fair, Midnight was filmed during the filming for another episode because of constraints on the production team. That's why it's a small cast in a small room with barely any effects.

I guarantee you that the team was filming other Donna w/o the Doctor scene's somewhere

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Still catching up, so avoiding spoiler tags and such, but my God this Robin Hood episode is goddamn hilarious.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

To be fair, Midnight was filmed during the filming for another episode because of constraints on the production team. That's why it's a small cast in a small room with barely any effects.

I guarantee you that the team was filming other Donna w/o the Doctor scene's somewhere

The logical choice is Turn Left.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I don't remember. At the end of Asylum of the Daleks they didn't recognise him but in Smith's last episode they must have done, as he had apparently kept them at bay for several hundred years. In that town called Christmas Town for no reason.
    Well the daleks knew enough about him to want to keep You Know What from You Know Whating back in teh Xmas special.

Then they also watched him regenerate and take out a fleet.

So even if they didn't know about him before, seems like they'd be back up to speed.

Smith actually confronts them about this in the special, they note
    "Information about the Doctor was harvested from the memories of Tasha Lem" Or however you spell her name. The leader of the church.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Eh, it's better if they know him and have the history, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBSOhODoch0

It was posted earlier, but that bit with Rose and the Daleks. When she tells them that man is the Doctor, and they all do a dalek version of staggering back.

"Five million cybermen, easy. One Doctor? Now you're scared."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Again we get hints that the current Dr is intentionally being presented as a mild sociopath in the line about Clara being practiced at a making excuses for him. I wonder if we're going somewhere with this.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I hope not, I'm sick of the storylines focused on the Doctor's goodness or lack thereof. More adventures in space and time, and less pontifications on the nature of the Doctor, please.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    He's certainly still a good man (or trying to be) as clearly discussed and established in the first few episodes of this series. He's just also being a bit of a dick to be in the same room as at the moment.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The good man storyline is a natural progression from Eleven being the Man Who Forgets so he can act like a child. Twelve is someone who remembers and accepts all his past lives, despite superficially being a doddering old forgetful man.

He has been much quicker to give up on people that he can't save, but that makes plenty sense; he's just spent 900 years trapped on Trenzalore in a no win situation.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    This weekend's episode looks like it'll be fun, kind of a sequel to 'The Lodger': http://bbc.in/1qyIa0C
    "I lived amongst otters for a month..."

"HUMAN BEINGS ARE NOT OTTERS!" :lol:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I quite like the "good doctor" stuff myself.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    This weekend's episode looks like it'll be fun, kind of a sequel to 'The Lodger': http://bbc.in/1qyIa0C
    "I lived amongst otters for a month..."

"HUMAN BEINGS ARE NOT OTTERS!" :lol:
    "River and I had this fight...."
    Hat-nods like this. I like this.

Fantastic
  • Options
    Just watched "Blink" for the first time.

That's okay, I never really liked sleeping.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Blink is a good episode but I quickly realized the Angels are just Boos from Mario Bros and I couldn't stop chuckling at the idea of David Tenant dressed as Mario. :3

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Okay. Watched the season 3 finale. Hard to believe it went from Blink to such incredible silliness as a worldwide psychic field and everybody clapping their hands and saying "I believe in Doctors"

I kind of love Martha though.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Martha had seem really strong points, but a lot of it was ruined by her pining for the Doctor. Good on her for removing herself from the situation at the end of the series, though.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Martha's other problem was her immensely-overbearing and hyper-busybody mother who fell hook, line, and sinker for a complete psycho's act because because the lady just could not believe that Martha could make real grown-up decisions on her own. Rose's mother was obnoxious, but at least she was simply upset with Rose's choices instead of trying to just plain take over her life; she wasn't the brightest crayon in the box, but she cared enough about her kid to be concerned but not get in her way.

Though it makes a hell of a lot of sense why Martha's father left her mother and why Martha's family was fucked up. I couldn't hardly stand the lady for minutes at a time; being married to that would've been a total nightmare.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I enjoy them, but the Davies finales upped the ante on ridiculousness every single series. It's like he wrote them entirely while any potential editor or naysayer was out on vacation.

Lots of fun, but also complete fucking tonal train wrecks. That somehow mostly work!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Really good episode. Loved the banter and all the details.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Could have done without the over the top backflip.

Everything else was pretty great.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

I kind of love Martha though.

@Taramoor‌

THANK YOU. SOLIDARITY FRIEND.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Martha had seem really strong points, but a lot of it was ruined by her pining for the Doctor. Good on her for removing herself from the situation at the end of the series, though.

@Cyvros‌

maybe don't put that right after a person is just introduced to the character?

edit: i guess it's kinda okay. i forgot her tenure.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    This episode wasn't really great?

Though I did like:
    That Danny is someone who doesn't just fall head over heels about the Doctor and who he is.

• Options

Her crush on the Doctor was a little much at times, but just about everything else she did was aces. And I'm going to forgive the mother because mass hypnosis or something. I watched the Titanic/Poseidon Adventure episode but continuing will have to wait until later tonight, though it looks like Donna's coming back, who I also quite liked for her one show last season.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Her crush on the Doctor was a little much at times, but just about everything else she did was aces. And I'm going to forgive the mother because mass hypnosis or something. I watched the Titanic/Poseidon Adventure episode but continuing will have to wait until later tonight, though it looks like Donna's coming back, who I also quite liked for her one show last season.

My wife and I just finished watching S3 the other night, and I started noticing in the latter episodes they didn't even really have her pining for the Doctor.

Except, then they suddenly would, and I think that is what made it so bad.

Episode after episode (after the first few in the season) there would be nothing, really, indicating that she had any overt feelings for him, and then out of nowhere they'd make it a big dramatic thing, almost to just remind themselves that they needed that ongoing plotline for her exit.

It was dumb, and it was jarring every time she'd suddenly switch to lovesick puppy mode because it often felt completely out of character.

It didn't help anything that, while I think Freema did about as good as you could possibly do with the scripts/role she was given, there was zero chemistry between her and Tennant.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

This discussion has been closed.