As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: "...the clock is striking Twelve's."

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Thinking about it now, how great would the interactions between Donna and Twelve be?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Martha had seem really strong points, but a lot of it was ruined by her pining for the Doctor. Good on her for removing herself from the situation at the end of the series, though.

@Cyvros‌

maybe don't put that right after a person is just introduced to the character?

edit: i guess it's kinda okay. i forgot her tenure.

Wait, who was just introduced to Martha? I was replying to Taramoor, who'd just watched the end of series 3.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Martha had seem really strong points, but a lot of it was ruined by her pining for the Doctor. Good on her for removing herself from the situation at the end of the series, though.

@Cyvros‌

maybe don't put that right after a person is just introduced to the character?

edit: i guess it's kinda okay. i forgot her tenure.

Wait, who was just introduced to Martha? I was replying to Taramoor, who'd just watched the end of series 3.

You're correct I jumped the gun. I thought she stayed on through 4.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Ah, right, cool.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Re: this episode:
    Under both Moffat and Davies, this show has had consistent issues with doing character-focused episodes that are undermined, cut short, or have their intended tone thrown off by the amount of time spent messing around with the mandatory and often very perfunctory-feeling menace of the week. (See: "School Reunion," "Love & Monsters," "The Lodger," etc.)

So it's really nice to see an episode like this that kind of relegates the alien menace to the B-plot it rightly deserves and doesn't try to artificially ratchet up the stakes (and undermine the comedy) by having it go on a murder spree. One nosy policeman is the only sacrifice on the bloody altar of plot this week, and even he gets a nice little scene at the end.

I really welcomed seeing some of the conflict between the Doctor and Clara come to a head and be openly addressed. The show has had the Doctor agonize over his goodness or lack thereof for eight years, but his being kind of a thoughtless dick about that particular profession and the people in it is a much more palpable character flaw than "I try to save everyone but sometimes I can't."

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Loved this episode, even though the monster was secondary.

Got to see the Doctor being wacky among humans again, as well as Danny actually starting to develop a character, and a lot of genuine character development for all three.
    Some more of the stuff with Missy is interesting, so it puts paid to the suspicion that it's only robots that go to the Nethersphere.

Also, I feel like they keep reusing those spacesuits. They're the same ones from the Tennant ep with the Devil.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh man, that whistle.
    We don't need no education! Awesome. I like grouchy snarky doctor.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I gotta say for an ultimate destruction machine thing

a front flip is a pretty lame weakness.

other than that. great episode.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I gotta say for an ultimate destruction machine thing

a front flip is a pretty lame weakness.

other than that. great episode.

But, as far as weaknesses go, is it worse than stairs?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Awesome episode, really enjoyed it.
    Also. Dis:
    http://share.gifyoutube.com/YO8WWV.gif

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Episode was okay, but it feels like we're going to get another episode with a kid tagging along.
    Since last time we ended up with a kid going to another planet and immediately complaining of being bored, I'm not hopeful for next week.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    He's just as adorable as on Who

Fantastic
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Ok. This episode pissed me off.
    All episode long, they have the Doctor going on about Danny being a soldier, and saying he should go back to P.E., despite his and Clara's repeated insistence that he's a math teacher. And then they make his big "save the day" moment a fucking physical feat? They subverted expectations, but it also basically felt like the doctors begrudging approval was still pretty damn unearned, since Danny didn't get to impress him with quick thinking or his mind in any way. He literally P.E.'d himself at the alien.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Math teachers are only good at math.

NOTHING ELSE

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I kinda thought he
    impressed the doctor by following Clara to protect her and then figuring out the whole "The Doctor is mad because he thinks I'm not good enough"

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Episode was okay, but it feels like we're going to get another episode with a kid tagging along.
    Since last time we ended up with a kid going to another planet and immediately complaining of being bored, I'm not hopeful for next week.

Don't worry, the kid isn't tagging along.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Don't think so, the kid did *not* impress the Doctor.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The kid:
    The kid WILL be in the next episode, in a space suit. Saw as much in the "next time" trailer.

Quical on
    NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

NOTHING ELSE

Man I really hope you were being sarcastic with that.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    The kid:
    The kid WILL be in the next episode, in a space suit. Saw as much in the "next time" trailer.

Look again. She's not anywhere in the trailer.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »

NOTHING ELSE

Man I really hope you were being sarcastic with that.

lm6smqe.jpg?1

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Thinking about it now, how great would the interactions between Donna and Twelve be?

In the sense he would probably vent her into space after five minutes?

Pretty great.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    They should get Rupert to be a companion.

Not adult Rupert. Child Rupert.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Yes, i was being sarcastic.

Non verbal medium and all that

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

Pretty great.

She never would have gotten on board in the first place. Martha and Rose both would have been shut down hard, and Amy would have grown up traumatized.

In short, the 12th doctor is the best doctor ever because he has no time for your bullshit.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »

Pretty great.

She never would have gotten on board in the first place. Martha and Rose both would have been shut down hard, and Amy would have grown up traumatized.

In short, the 12th doctor is the best doctor ever because he has no time for your bullshit.

On the other hand, Rory would have decked him.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    From this episode, you see the Doctor is more of a father figure now.
    The flip was so B.S. though.

Still, have no idea what is going on with the ending. I really hope it is not literal and something else or the show is going to take a heavy fantasy turn.

It would be neat if the bully girl dies in the next episode, but they would never have the nerve to do it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It would be neat if the bully girl dies in the next episode, but they would never have the nerve to do it.

The way to deal with her (and help her teachers into the bargain) would be to give her an ultimatum; if she behaves herself the rest of the time she's in school (and he'll be jumping forward ten years to get her teachers opinions on the matter), she'll get to come on one trip after she's 18. If she actually handles herself well, she might be allowed to come on more.

I liked her parents, though:
    "So she's a disruptive influence, but last year she was a very disruptive influence. At this rate, next year she'll just be an influence on the rest of the class. That's good, isn't it?"
    You can see how she gets away with it.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't think its a lack of nerve stopping them from killing a vaguely unpleasant child onscreen. It's probably more not wanting to kill children as some sort of narrative punishment for being a bit mouthy.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I don't think its a lack of nerve stopping them from killing a vaguely unpleasant child onscreen. It's probably more not wanting to kill children as some sort of narrative punishment for being a bit mouthy.

Earthshock%205.jpg
    ?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    This week thoughts:
    It's nice when the monster of the week is actually the B-Plot. I think that's why I liked Vincent and the Doctor so much.

Good job on the not-quite Matt Smith to throw the Doctor off the scent, I thought that was a nice gag. However in general I'm not a fan of misunderstandings that could be cleared up if the characters elected to talk to each other.

The backflip was - quite literally - over the top.

Interesting note regarding Paradise or whatever: This is the first time we've seen someone there who hasn't encountered the Doctor, although he also doesn't get the Missy treatment. Food for thought on how this works. Does she intervene on Doctor cases, or is it a coincidence?

I think it's the weakest episode so far, but by no means does that make it bad.

• Options
  • Options
    ...Isn't a backflip the other way? Like, backwards?

Or have I been getting it hilariously wrong for decades? (I'm entirely willing to believe that)

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Wow. They really ratcheted up the Dr is a Dick theme this week. I would have punched him if I were Danny.
    Previous Drs weren't keen on soldiers but we're on to a full on blind hate prejudice here. I wonder if we're going to get a flashback to some kind of causative incident or if this is meant to be the fallout of that Christmas Town nonsense. He used to be best mates with a Brigadier!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Bogart wrote: »

Earthshock%205.jpg
    ?

He was killed for terrible acting, which is justifiable.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    ...Isn't a backflip the other way? Like, backwards?

Or have I been getting it hilariously wrong for decades? (I'm entirely willing to believe that)

No, you're right. Pink does a front flip over the kill-bot.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Thinking about it, I'm wondering if they wrote this episode with Pink actually as a PE teacher?
    It's the kind of thing I can see them starting with while still coming up with the character ("Okay, he's a former soldier, what does he teach? PE, obviously"), then going back and deciding to turn him into something a little less one-dimensional.
    Oops, the scripts already been written (and probably some scenes shot already). Oh well, we'll shoot a few extra scenes of people trying to correct him. What about the PE flip at the end? Oh, nuts.

It wouldn't be unheard of for different script writers to not be 100% in sync. (I remember Rose being all 'Oh. Great, my boyfriends coming along. Yay.' at the end of one episode, and actually happy about it in the next. I think they actually said that they didn't know that she was supposed to be unhappy about it when filming the next episode.)

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Anyone else hoping Danny was going to become a permanent companion alongside Clara by the end of this one? Makes for a much more interesting dynamic between the three of them, and I like the idea of him once again having two coal hill school teachers as companions.

This discussion has been closed.