Options

[Monster Hunter] MH4U is released!

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Ugh, I did not like the Resources system in MH3U. If 4U really has a similar setup, this might be a deal breaker for me.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Ugh, I did not like the Resources system in MH3U. If 4U really has a similar setup, this might be a deal breaker for me.

Resources are now not so boring to get. There's a version of the random unknown forrest all the way up to G-Rank.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    But you still have to go hunt more monsters to get resources to get items to keep hunting monsters, right? Or is that different now?

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Free hunting has been majorly developed for MH4 and 4U. It gets its own unique stage with a randomized layout and monsters each time, with unique rewards, and at higher levels, even unique equipment. After clearing a layout, if you like it, you can save it as a Guild Quest and play it in multiplayer. The rewards get better, but it gets harder each time.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Basically I just want the farm back. I liked the calm between fights. Now if I need more herbs or whatever, I have to go fight a monster to get resources.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    You can still do that, the amount of resources needed for menial farming and gathering stuff has always been super low (you get enough just by picking up shinies in quests)

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Don't forget Harvest Tours. In P3rd I would go to the Volcano with a Transporter setup and the cliff-jumping drink - each Powderstone is worth something like 3000 Resources on its own. Although I haven't seen if you can do that in 3U yet...

Also, I just bought a full stack of Armor Stones from the merchant lady.

EDIT: CapcomUnity stream!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    I stopped playing MH3U because I was playing the hunting horn solo and had a hard time with the water stages. I think I was at the first main baddy but it felt like I wasn't making any progress against it. After playing the demo though I totally have the itch again. How many more water stages are there, and should I switch weapons (even though I LOVE the bagpipes)?

2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Agahnim wrote: »
    I stopped playing MH3U because I was playing the hunting horn solo and had a hard time with the water stages. I think I was at the first main baddy but it felt like I wasn't making any progress against it. After playing the demo though I totally have the itch again. How many more water stages are there, and should I switch weapons (even though I LOVE the bagpipes)?

In 3U? Uh... quite a few. Especially if you're talking about the low-rank Lagiacrus like I think you are.

• Options
    New localization blog: Bugs Bugs Bugs

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Agahnim wrote: »
    Knowing how to use multiple weapon classes is always a plus. Underwater fights are much less painful if you use a lance, for example.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Live Lance and prosper.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    The Lance is Mother, The Lance is Father.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Neat, Selregios-weapons sharpen and reload on evasion.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Friend and I started playing some Monster Honster again, with some of the MH4 hype. Took us a while to get back into it but it's like riding a bike.

He was HR3 and I'm HR7. He was stuck on Brachydios, we'd tried a few times when the game was young but he's a tough dude, and my friend only had the Arzuros S set which isn't that hot. But we got him in 2 tries and then killed him a few more times for good measure, so he got to HR4.

Last night we fought high rank Deviljho twice and got our asses handed to us both times. Such a bastard. I don't know if it was the good kind of losing, it was really exhausting. :p

I think before MH4 comes out I'd like to put more time into 3U again...I feel like 3U might maintain its audience somewhat(?) because it's on an actual console in HD and is just more comfortable to play. Maybe. Plus it's got plenty of monsters that aren't returning so it's still its own thing.

I gotta graduate further into G rank. What is it again, I get to HR8 and then the next HR up is a big jump?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I think I may go HH in 4U, I had no idea about the self buff two white note song, the difference is like night and day. Gaijinhunter's videos have been a huge help, wish he had made them right when 4 came out! Because I missed a loooot of stuff with my truly terrible kanji skills.

I had no idea that the hunting horn was a completely viable solo weapon, the fact that it gives great group buffs too is delicious, delicious icing on a delicious cake.

• Options
    You are only HR8 for a few minutes. Once you talk to the Guild Chief he unlocks the limiter and you go up to your true HR Rank.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    You are only HR8 for a few minutes. Once you talk to the Guild Chief he unlocks the limiter and you go up to your true HR Rank.

I think the lowest 8+ HR I've seen in the wild is 22.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I was somewhere in the 40's or 50's.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I was somewhere in the 40's or 50's.

Yeah mid-40s sounds about right.

• Options

Yeah I gotta do that. :)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I think I may go HH in 4U, I had no idea about the self buff two white note song, the difference is like night and day. Gaijinhunter's videos have been a huge help, wish he had made them right when 4 came out! Because I missed a loooot of stuff with my truly terrible kanji skills.

I had no idea that the hunting horn was a completely viable solo weapon, the fact that it gives great group buffs too is delicious, delicious icing on a delicious cake.

With the HH, you have to learn what swings to use, and when to play the songs. With faster monsters, it's hard to play songs because sitting still for to toot your horn is long enough for them to run up and eat your face.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Wait, wait...
    there's no farm in MH4?

Nooooooooooooooooo

• Options
    vamen wrote: »
    Wait, wait...
    there's no farm in MH4?

Nooooooooooooooooo

More accurately, the farm is farther away, and you deal with a middleman.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Is there any article or anything on how the new farm / middleman / whatever system works? I'm curious.

EDIT - Nevermind, I see it was discussed on the last page.

vamen on
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    How do weapons usually compare in overall viability? I didn't get far enough into 3 to learn that.

I'm not one to hop onto whatever top-tier bandwagon is rolling (though from what I understand, insect galive is probably the best weapon in the game), but I'd also rather not choose something at the bottom of the barrel

• Options
    As far as I understand, there are no tiers. They are only better or worse depending on the situation. Hunting Horn is best for group play, but probably not ideal for solo play, though I'm sure there are plenty of people who solo HH and get along just fine. Some people prefer ranged weapons for group play or against certain monsters.

Then you get into blunt damage versus edged damage for breaking parts and stunning monsters vs cutting tails and other parts.

• Options
    They are fairly balanced. You have outliers and weapons that the Japanese speed runners will choose above all others but for most hunting you should just choose what you like.

The differences in clear times between the tiers are so small as to be imperceptable in most cases.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    That even goes for the IG. I think the OP perception is far more conjecture than an actual power differential.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    I haven't been reading too much about MH4 and the IG, but it could be a situation where the clear time isn't much better than with other weapons, but you're so mobile that it's incredibly safe to use. Yes/no?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I haven't been reading too much about MH4 and the IG, but it could be a situation where the clear time isn't much better than with other weapons, but you're so mobile that it's incredibly safe to use. Yes/no?

That's sorta why. I think it's just that people think they're invincible while they are jumping around like a jackrabbit hyped up on meth and in reality they're not.

Also there are far more mobile weapons in the game. I just think the jump is clouding people's opinions inaccuratly.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    There are types that work better than others, depending on monster and arena (ledges, water), but viability shouldn't be an issue. And in a full hunt-group with different weapons, somebody probably has whatever is needed.

I like Lance, Horn and Bow a bit more than the rest, but I also like GS, LS, SnS, Hammer and SA. I like Bowguns in theory, but I can't deal well with the maintenance. Still haven't tried pokemon-stick or go-go-power-rangers. I'm not really feeling Dual Blades, though.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Guard lancers are actually invincible though. Once you have your armor skills you can block anything, period.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Guard lancers are actually invincible though. Once you have your armor skills you can block anything, period.

Shhhh. That's a secret. . .

• Options
    Oh, I like Gun Lance, too, but my mind just wanders to "Lance".

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    As far as I understand, there are no tiers. They are only better or worse depending on the situation. Hunting Horn is best for group play, but probably not ideal for solo play, though I'm sure there are plenty of people who solo HH and get along just fine. Some people prefer ranged weapons for group play or against certain monsters.

Then you get into blunt damage versus edged damage for breaking parts and stunning monsters vs cutting tails and other parts.

HH is apparently 100% solo good since mh3 or so when it got a damage buff.

It is more DPS than a hammer, but has less burst damage potential.

• Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    I don't miss the farm...
    You can send Palicos on quests (which are playable) and theres a fishing minigame. The farm is still there as menu.
    What also helps is the entirety of 6 different unique towns that all have unique shops and quests.
    Theres plenty to do between hunting.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular

Thats my impression so far.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    R-KR-K Registered User regular
    Is the insect glaive the only weapon where you ride on the back or can you do it with other weapons? How does riding work?

3DS: 2036-7005-8111 Shiny:2737
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    R-K wrote: »
    Is the insect glaive the only weapon where you ride on the back or can you do it with other weapons? How does riding work?

Jump attack with any weapon.

Glaive just has easy access to jump attack.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy