Options

Giant Bomb!

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Maybe the gameplay got better as it went on? As far as I got the hunting was boring slow and unrewarding and the shooting was serviceable at best and the story was fine

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Renaissance Italy

1. Bankers are jerks
    2. Art or something?
    3. Bene

4. Requescat in pace

Spelled that right on the first try! B)

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Renaissance Italy

1. Bankers are jerks
    2. Art or something?
    3. Bene

4. Money, money, money

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Renaissance Italy

1. Bankers are jerks
    2. Art or something?
    3. Bene

4. Requescat in pace

Spelled that right on the first try! B)

Erm...

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Did I not? Google says I did.

• Options
    I think there's an I in there but now I'm not sure

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    If anything this was the generation of "franchise starting proof of concepts that were refined into perfection in the 2nd iteration."

There's a lot of twos on my personal games of the generation list.

Mass Effect 2
    Uncharted 2
    Dead Space 2
    Portal 2
    Geometry Wars 2
    Halo 3 2 (ODST, shut up it counts)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    ODST is incredible

I spent about 30 seconds trying to come up with another word

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, the pinnacle of Mass Effect is the Citadel DLC.

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    ODST is incredible

I spent about 30 seconds trying to come up with another word

"ODST is thebesthalogame"

There's your word, bucko

• Options
    ODST 2 would convince me to buy an Xbox One

• Options
    tumblr_inline_mwfeos60sF1qh3yij.png

oh Social Justice Wario, you know the way to my heart

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Oh man, I just remembered how Red Dead had this one cannon-outfitted fortress in Mexico I think that could only be approached by a small path.

My friends and I made a silly game based on it where one would man the cannons and repel the invaders; when one would breach the fortress, they would be "it."

Such a good goddamn game.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait has pewdiepie done something bad
    Aside from generally being super annoying to listen to

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait has pewdiepie done something bad
    Aside from generally being super annoying to listen to

Makes rape jokes

a lot

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    RDR has a genuinely great story about what the title flat-out says, redemption. You play as a former scumbag bandit that keeps saying he's reformed and is being strong armed into this entire situation reluctantly, and a lot if people just think that's par for the course for Rockstar protagonists

And then you slowly unravel John Marsten as the game progresses. Little touches like him politely declining any working women who offer him something, questioning the validity of a racist, myopic, shitty "scientist", constantly referring back to his son with both pride and regret that he isn't around at that moment. He really is a reluctant man who just wants to make peace with the world, but isn't allowed to just yet.

Out of the Rockstar games I've played it also has the best writing for female characters I have seen so far, making me cringe even more at GTAV's attempts and pitfalls.

And then the final chapter of the game
    Just working on your farm. Bringing things back to normal. Trying to be a better husband and father, no bandits, no feds, just you and your family. And then you become the last target of the Old West, gunned down for no other reason except to be made an example out of.

The moment you take control of Marsten and force yourself to walk out of your barn to face a firing line of agents and soldiers is one of the most chilling and hard hitting scenes in any game. The whole thing is a truly cinematic experience.

Thats why RDR is on my list as one of the top games for this past generation.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    He makes a lot of rape jokes. Also a lot of racist ones.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game but it isn't the perfection of its genre. Mass Effect 3 is its superior in all but ending. Combat is better. Characters are better. Ambient dialogue is better.

Mass Effect 2 will always shine brighter because it such an improvement over 1 but it has a lot of flaws that ME3 improves upon and its a damn shame the 3s ending will permanently scar all the other amazing things about it.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    me2 vs assbro is a tough choice

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I've found that by the end of this generation of games, I'm willing to put up with games that may not have the best gameplay, but have better stories or try something different or truly gutsy that give me a tangible aesthetic or style that really shines through

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    pewdiepie is a wretched piece of shit and he and anyone in his "bro army" can fuck right off

• Options
    and he's not funny to boot

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game but it isn't the perfection of its genre. Mass Effect 3 is its superior in all but ending. Combat is better. Characters are better. Ambient dialogue is better.

Mass Effect 2 will always shine brighter because it such an improvement over 1 but it has a lot of flaws that ME3 improves upon and its a damn shame the 3s ending will permanently scar all the other amazing things about it.

The ambient dialogue is better but it also has the unfortunate part of being tied to the weirdest way to get sidequests ever

Some jerk is eavesdropping on you and then has an entire adventure and comes back a week later to give you a thing you forgot about already

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    More like EwDiePlease

• Options
    I think the ending to ME3 distracts from some of its other flaws, especially the sidequests

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    I think Mass Effect 3 peaked higher but Mass Effect 2 was more consistently solid

• Options
    Mass Effect 3 is its superior in all but ending.

I'm going to strongly disagree, and I really like ME3.

ME2 is a much cleaner, more focused experience. It's structured in a much more streamlined way. Mass Effect 3 feels bloated and piecemeal in some of the ways the first game did.

The stuff they put in to replace resource scanning is actually a huge step backwards, as is the weapon upgrade stuff. (It works wonderfully for the multiplayer but in the campaign is it unwieldily and pointless to the point of being a hassle.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    me2 doesnt have multiplayer

checkMATE atheists

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    (i just wanted to say checkmate atheists)

• Options
    mass effect 3 for me is like someone pooped on some great pasta

like, i recognize that the pasta is delicious and was made with skill, and in some ways improves on the pasta i had last time, and i'd be hungrily devouring it if not for the fact that you took a shit on it

• Options
    Man those 2 total minutes I've spent watching a pewdiepie video really didn't prepare me for how deep this rabbit hole goes I guess

• Options

like, i recognize that the pasta is delicious and was made with skill, and in some ways improves on the pasta i had last time, and i'd be hungrily devouring it if not for the fact that you took a shit on it

funnily enough that's exactly how I feel about GTA V

• Options
    I think ultimately what gets me about ME3 is that all the flaws I can see are very easy to fix, at least in my non-developer eyes

The entire ending trades on a premise that they barely talk about in the entire series

If they just made that a running theme through the game, then it would work for the ending

It blindsides everybody who didn't even realize that was part of the story

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

It always comes back to poop with Mass Effect 3, doesn't it

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The Giant Bomb community is doing a bracket to determine the Game of the Generation

The current round is

Dark Souls vs. BioShock

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves vs. Red Dead Redemption

Batman: Arkham Asylum vs. Dragon Age: Origins

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots vs. Portal 2

Mass Effect 2 vs. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Super Mario Galaxy vs. Fallout 3

The Walking Dead: Season 1 vs. The Last of Us

and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare vs. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

some hard as hell choices in there

These were all pretty easy choices I thought

I'm curious to see where it ends up

• Options
    I don't even hate the ME3 ending.

I mean it's not great but the things about that game that make me like it less than ME2 have nothing to do with the ending.

that said it was still one of my favorite games of that year!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Man those 2 total minutes I've spent watching a pewdiepie video really didn't prepare me for how deep this rabbit hole goes I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFbVKL-Meo0

Here are some choice cuts with the protective shield of people making fun of him over it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    As much as I enjoyed ME3 overall, it felt very unpolished, and there were clearly some corners cut in order to release it "on time".

PSN- AHermano
This discussion has been closed.