Options

Giant Bomb!

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I think ultimately what gets me about ME3 is that all the flaws I can see are very easy to fix, at least in my non-developer eyes

The entire ending trades on a premise that they barely talk about in the entire series

If they just made that a running theme through the game, then it would work for the ending

It blindsides everybody who didn't even realize that was part of the story

This is part of it

But what actually bothers me more is that the conflict in question comes up in the very game you just played, and you already had to make a decision on it one way or the other

It's not only not the theme of the trilogy, it's redundant

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Did I not? Google says I did.

And as YouTube has shown, Google is always right.

No, seriously, requiescat, like requiem but without the m. And with... scat.

Also everytime I see "pewdiepie" I read it as "pewpewdie". I cannot not. Even now that I know it's not right.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    How are they defining "game of the generation" here though

Best? Most influential? Most exemplary of common qualities of games of this time?

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Mass Effect 3 is its superior in all but ending.

I'm going to strongly disagree, and I really like ME3.

ME2 is a much cleaner, more focused experience. It's structured in a much more streamlined way. Mass Effect 3 feels bloated and piecemeal in some of the ways the first game did.

The stuff they put in to replace resource scanning is actually a huge step backwards, as is the weapon upgrade stuff. (It works wonderfully for the multiplayer but in the campaign is it unwieldily and pointless to the point of being a hassle.)

I'll have more to say on this after work, but ME2s scanning was actively awful. ME3s was not half as bad. I understand the scanning was okay with a controller, but anyone playing with a mouse knows the score.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I don't think I could pick a game of the generation

But the Half life Series, Dark Souls, and Minecraft have to be up there

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    David_T wrote: »
    Did I not? Google says I did.

And as YouTube has shown, Google is always right.

No, seriously, requiescat, like requiem but without the m. And with... scat.

Also everytime I see "pewdiepie" I read it as "pewpewdie". I cannot not. Even now that I know it's not right.

Damn.

So Google is evil after all!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm also one of those people that says that if they just ended it 10 minutes earlier, perfect ending

You turn on the Catalyst, it totally works and destroys all the Reapers through the power of generational friendship, and you sit and have one last chat with Anderson

A+ ending, GOTY

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the game of the generation is Super Mario Galaxy

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Best? Most influential? Most exemplary of common qualities of games of this time?

This is what I'm curious about and it's something to think about once the pack gets thinner

For the choices in this bunch there was just one of the two I didn't like or where I liked both but thought the other was much, much better

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

If it were on a system with a sensible controller I'd probably agree

As it stands though I'd still say it's probably top five

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    binary domain is like the reverse of mass effect 3 to me

wow this villain is really good why couldn't the rest of the game be like this

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Super Mario Galaxy managed to trick me for a couple of months that I hadn't made a mistake in buying a Wii.

shame on you super mario galaxy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

Bullshit

The game of the generation is Super Mario Galaxy 2

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Bullshit

The game of the generation is Super Mario Galaxy 2

i didnt get a chance to beat SMG2, sadly

• Options
    I could buy a Wii and Super Mario Galaxy at full price and not feel cheated

That's how much I loved that game

Like, it's rare for a game to make me have a big dumb grin on my face, but Super Mario Galaxy did it

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

Like, it's rare for a game to make me have a big dumb grin on my face, but Super Mario Galaxy did it

well I bought both those things at full price and I played SMG every night for like an entire month and then didnt turn my Wii on again for like a year after that and I pretty much felt like "why do I have this dumb thing"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

well I bought both those things at full price and I played SMG every night for like an entire month and then didnt turn my Wii on again for like a year after that and I pretty much felt like "why do I have this dumb thing"

yeah but you're balefuego

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I hope eventually there is a way to share videos/screenshots to places other than Facebook. And Twitch figures out a way to archive PS4/Xbox One broadcasts.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
  • Options
    I hope eventually there is a way to share videos/screenshots to places other than Facebook. And Twitch figures out a way to archive PS4/Xbox One broadcasts.

Apparently there's an option you can switch on through Twitch's website that is supposed to archive console streams, but it isn't working 100% of the time right now

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013

It archives mine, but only for a limited time, I guess?

It saved my AC4 stream for about a day

Same with my Sound Shapes stream

And my Lego Marvel one is still up

More than watching them on a web browser, I wish there were a way to access past broadcasts from my PS4

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game but it isn't the perfection of its genre. Mass Effect 3 is its superior in all but ending. Combat is better. Characters are better. Ambient dialogue is better.

Mass Effect 2 will always shine brighter because it such an improvement over 1 but it has a lot of flaws that ME3 improves upon and its a damn shame the 3s ending will permanently scar all the other amazing things about it.

The ambient dialogue is better but it also has the unfortunate part of being tied to the weirdest way to get sidequests ever

Some jerk is eavesdropping on you and then has an entire adventure and comes back a week later to give you a thing you forgot about already
    I really liked it in the context of Shepard as this like famous historical figure in the uinverse, and this is the sort of thing that would make it into a biography about them because someone's grandpappy would not fucking shut up about the time they were on the Citadel and Shepard heard about the thing he was looking for and then Shepard went and had a daring adventure and then gave it to him personally.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    I will say for ME1 though that if we were to have a video game experience of the generation award, the last 3 to 4 hours of that game would probably be in my top 5 list.

Bioware has never come close to anything as cinematic and intense as those closing hours.

• Options
    Wait, Super Mario Galaxy beat Rock Band in an earlier round?

Fuck that

Shut down that contest

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular

Apparently there's an option you can switch on through Twitch's website that is supposed to archive console streams, but it isn't working 100% of the time right now

Oh. Huh. I have that option checked but it didn't archive my test stream of AC4. I wonder if there is a certain amount of time you have to stream for it to archive. I only streamed for like 5 minutes.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    Also when I say ambient dialogue I don't mean the weird sidequests I mean the amazing stuff you can stand and listen to, like the PTSD asari.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

which one I like more

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »

The future of video games looks so bright.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game but it isn't the perfection of its genre. Mass Effect 3 is its superior in all but ending. Combat is better. Characters are better. Ambient dialogue is better.

Mass Effect 2 will always shine brighter because it such an improvement over 1 but it has a lot of flaws that ME3 improves upon and its a damn shame the 3s ending will permanently scar all the other amazing things about it.

The ambient dialogue is better but it also has the unfortunate part of being tied to the weirdest way to get sidequests ever

Some jerk is eavesdropping on you and then has an entire adventure and comes back a week later to give you a thing you forgot about already

Mr. G, I found your missing testicle clamps!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Fuck that

Shut down that contest

I kinda get it

now, if they said rock band 3 we're in a whole new ballgame

Hell, Beatles Rock Band

god it's insane that that thing even exists

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    game of the generation is xenoblade, runner up is dark souls

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    3rd is octodad

• Options
    edited November 2013

Fuck that

Shut down that contest

I kinda get it

now, if they said rock band 3 we're in a whole new ballgame

Hell, Beatles Rock Band

god it's insane that that thing even exists

That's why I think they're probably going with most influential?

Rock Band was the big groundbreaker there, but 2 and 3 best it

And likewise I think nearly everyone prefers SMG2 to the first one, right?

But even if they're going with what was more groundbreaking at the time, Rock Band absolutely was over SMG1

Super Mario Galaxy was just Super Mario 64/Sunshine with the gravity concept that Ratchet and Clank had been doing for five years prior. Not that it didn't do it really well, but it wasn't some crazy new experience

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Fuck that

Shut down that contest

Those two should not have started off so close together

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    but it's got better music

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    I'm a friendless soulless hermit monster so Rock Band has never held any appeal whatsoever.

• Options
    I wasn't aware Suffragette City was in Super Mario Galaxy

• Options
    Super Mario Galaxy does have one of the best video game soundtracks of all time

But comparing to a music game almost seems unfair

Because yes, of course Rock Band is going to have a better soundtrack

The soundtrack is half the point

• Options
    I actually legit don't remember any music from SMG

I remember the sound effects though

Great sound effects

When you shoot out from a slingshot star, fucking amazing

This discussion has been closed.