As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    @Kalnaur talking about how he can't understand how people use KBAM amuses me, because I vividly recall him talking in chat in Ark about how he couldn't master a sea creature taming method. Which turned out to only be hard on a controller, and was easy for people using a KBAM.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    BladeX wrote: »
    I realize asking any questions of this game is pointless but why oh why can the exosuit hold as much inventory as a giant ass spaceship?

As far as KBAM or controller, I picked up my 360 controller to try flight and holy crap a lot of the jankiness is gone! I didn't have to fight with the ship as it randomly tries to shoot out of the atmosphere and everything felt so much smoother.

Edit: sorry I should say slots as I know the ship can hold more per stack.

Technically the ship holds more because it's 500 per slot and your suit is 250 per slot.

edit: Damn your edit!

urahonky on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I realize asking any questions of this game is pointless but why oh why can the exosuit hold as much inventory as a giant ass spaceship?

As far as KBAM or controller, I picked up my 360 controller to try flight and holy crap a lot of the jankiness is gone! I didn't have to fight with the ship as it randomly tries to shoot out of the atmosphere and everything felt so much smoother.

Technically the ship holds more because it's 500 per slot and your suit is 250 per slot.

Hah no worries sorry, meant the slots but yea I guess it makes sense since it's 500 a stack.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Hah no worries sorry, meant the slots but yea I guess it makes sense since it's 500 a stack.

I will say it annoyed me to no end that I had a 48 slot Exosuit while running around with a 28 slot ship.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Just got a ~68 meg patch

Anybody have any idea what it does? Can't find any news about it

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    Tangent: I still don't understand why anyone plays any game with a keyboard and mouse, but I have a Steam Controller and grew up only really playing console games, so . . . yeah. Controllers are, in my head, the only right way to play a game. From Atari 2600 to the Wii, and until 2013, the most computer gaming I had done was a very short stint around the time of Everquest that more or less had about 10 games total that I played with KBAM, hating every minute of it.

I know that there are some folks who don't even think of controllers, like, ever. It blows my mind, but just like this game, it's a very divisive topic. But when I personally think of a game and the controls, I always think first, "will this work with a controller?", so the fact that there's no cockpit look with KBAM is, to me, total news. It also seems like a large oversight.

As a note, The cockpit look uses the right stick to look about. I use it to give me a better view of when the landing arrows show up in NMS.

Some games play better with KB&M. Go give Starcraft 2 or League of Legends a shot with a controller.

And FPS games, you're more accurate with a KB&M (pro gamers aside) and that's one reason we don't see shooters with cross platform multiplayer.

But I agree controller feels better in a lot of cases. Just not all.

I prefer playing Civ with a controller.

I am a sick, sick person, and I know this. :wink:

Edit: part of it is that the default KBAM favors righties, and there's really not a good keyboard set-up that favors lefties. Combine that with me having to look at my keyboard even to type, let alone play games (press and hold what key again?), and KBAM is just a recipe for disaster with me. I'm sure I could learn it, given time, effort, and energy, but I'd rather set up a controller scheme via the Steam controller interface and be done with it, for any game.

Other Edit: yes, I am the person the Steam Controller was made for. :biggrin:

hm

in 2016 I would say it's crucial to know how to type. Maybe something you want to look into. Would help with more than just playing games with a keyboard and mouse!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Just got a ~68 meg patch

Do you know what number it is? 1.07 went up recently, and you can find patch notes here.

Under news, they mention that the next one entered testing on Wednesday, so maybe that just went live? No info about that yet, I think.

• Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Just got a ~68 meg patch

Do you know what number it is? 1.07 went up recently, and you can find patch notes here.

Under news, they mention that the next one entered testing on Wednesday, so maybe that just went live? No info about that yet, I think.

whelp, I loaded the game up super quick and can't find anywhere where it says the version number.
    so..
    no, no idea.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    They just posted about 1.07 on the site shortly after that, so I'm guessing that's it.

In other news, holy moly this planet.

up5n98qcehsm.jpg

This friggin' planet.

fw63jd2ahfhe.jpg

No flora. No fauna. Nothing but bare rock. And (as I eventually discovered after having switched to a crashed ship and stupidly calling it to a new location, thus "losing" the location of my original ship)... no zinc with which to repair the ship's pulse engines.

Anywhere.

Cue a very long time wandering around, looking for a trade terminal. I played a good chunk of it with the HUD off, and it was actually really cool to climb a mountain and scan the horizon with the binoculars, looking for buildings. Looking at the ships passing overhead to see where they were coming from/going to.

Unfortunately it was just too empty to manage that for long, so I eventually had to flip the HUD back on so I'd have the question marks to guide my search.

It was tremendously boring and I pity anyone who winds up in a similar situation, but at the same time I found it kind of cool. And! When I finally managed to repair my ship and make it to a port, the guy there invited me to help him blow up a safe. I'd actually seen and failed this prompt before, so I succeeded this time and got... the opportunity to trade in my 24 slot multitool for a 23 slot one. Which I actually did. Becaaaause:
    um, awesome.

83hpfgidbd3h.jpg

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Yeah it's not really fun to scour a planet in search of Zinc to repair your engines.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Did you break down all the components in your old ship first? Pretty sure you get a stack of zinc back (among many other valuable items) from doing that.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I am on yet another planet with just enough rarity in creatures that the "last one" is a pain to find. And once again, scoured the water, sky (there were two fliers!) and caves first. So I'm making a big overland wander. It's another ice planet, but at least this one has trees and things, so it's not just desolate geometry to stare at, and it's in a Vy'keen system with only 3 planets, and I just started learning their language in this system, so I have a reason to wander anyway.

Just hoping it doesn't take me several days to find, like the last one.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »
    Did you break down all the components in your old ship first? Pretty sure you get a stack of zinc back (among many other valuable items) from doing that.
    I did, but didn't get quite enough. I possibly could've scrounged up enough by breaking down suit components, but didn't want to.

I'd "lost" my stack of zinc in the last space fight I had; it might be time to invest in more than a single shield upgrade. Also, ships definitely have very different amounts of health, and possibly handle differently (not sure if that was my imagination or not). They make different engine noises, too.

• Options
    They just posted about 1.07 on the site shortly after that, so I'm guessing that's it.

In other news, holy moly this planet.

up5n98qcehsm.jpg

This friggin' planet.

fw63jd2ahfhe.jpg

No flora. No fauna. Nothing but bare rock. And (as I eventually discovered after having switched to a crashed ship and stupidly calling it to a new location, thus "losing" the location of my original ship)... no zinc with which to repair the ship's pulse engines.

Anywhere.

Cue a very long time wandering around, looking for a trade terminal. I played a good chunk of it with the HUD off, and it was actually really cool to climb a mountain and scan the horizon with the binoculars, looking for buildings. Looking at the ships passing overhead to see where they were coming from/going to.

Unfortunately it was just too empty to manage that for long, so I eventually had to flip the HUD back on so I'd have the question marks to guide my search.

It was tremendously boring and I pity anyone who winds up in a similar situation, but at the same time I found it kind of cool. And! When I finally managed to repair my ship and make it to a port, the guy there invited me to help him blow up a safe. I'd actually seen and failed this prompt before, so I succeeded this time and got... the opportunity to trade in my 24 slot multitool for a 23 slot one. Which I actually did. Becaaaause:
    um, awesome.

83hpfgidbd3h.jpg

I did this exact same thing minus the multi-tool at the end and I was having so much fun freaking out that if I couldn't find a trade terminal I'd be stuck on the planet forever, added an unintended survival element to the game but I get not everyone would have fun with that.

• Options
    It appears they have fixed the scanning issue that could put the kibosh on exploring all the planets in a system in any order you saw fit by fixing the scanning bug that flipped the 100% swtich on all planets in the system.

• Options
    So wait, I just completed the Atlas path and now... I'm reading that you actually use the stones at the center?

Bugger this for a lark, I'll just reacquire them later.

Or maybe I'll hang on to them...

my preciouses....

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    So wait, I just completed the Atlas path and now... I'm reading that you actually use the stones at the center?

my preciouses....
    You should have used them at the last atlas interface, where it says that you have caused a new start to be born somewhere in the galaxy. I think I was given the choice to use them or not, so I suppose it's up to you?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    I have found a world that (A) counts as extreme (fucking sentinels) so I'm getting my Sols on (B) is an irradiated hellhole with storms and (C) has Vortex Cubes and Gravitino Balls.

This is the best blasted hellscape ever. :biggrin: :+1:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Septus wrote: »

my preciouses....
    You should have used them at the last atlas interface, where it says that you have caused a new start to be born somewhere in the galaxy. I think I was given the choice to use them or not, so I suppose it's up to you?
    Hrm, that's what I thought but... the map also shows a new interface waypoint, so maybe it just wasn't the last one.

Oh and @BladeX, immediately after I realized my situation on the zinc-less planet I was thinking oh my gosh what a coincidence.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Query: has anyone else noticed that their cave rocks and stalagtites/mites have blue, like, bright purple-blue, where it makes no sense for them to be blue?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I bid farewell to jungle world, warped and it's as if the game was trying to tell me I shouldn't have left as I landed on this completely desolate rock with "frenzied" sentinels.

K9ty

I'm thinking of maybe trying out the 1/2 Big things mod, saw a Youtube video and it looked awesome.

Edit: tried big things with 25% sparse and my system takes a hit and the amount of trees is nuts, will try 50% big things with sparse and see if my system performs better.

BladeX on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    When all is said and done, with grav balls, cubes, and the neutrino things I get from killing the bots, along with any other shit like all the titanium I keep amassing from just random passers by, I should leave this planet with at least over 20 million units, if not more.

And hopefully have my "survived an amount of shitty environmental hazards for X sols" thing done as well.

Edit: it's gotten to the point where a bot decides to scan me, and gets a 'nade in the scanner-eye. It's strangely cathartic.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    So I'm after the Theta Warp Drive, which means hunting down a couple thousand minerals. Found a somewhat/very irradiated world.

Very pretty (you can't see the radiation):
    qizqa6zur9b5.jpg

It actually is teaming with life. Poor, doomed, irradiated life:
    elkfplw6aftx.jpg

JESUS! I mean..wow, nice to...meet you? Fuc...er, yes, lovely day we're having. Oh, yes, that's my Geiger counter.. I should, uh, be going now...Damn!
    hh1ahoejb6fm.jpg

• Options
    Anyone else having issues with the servers staying online?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    To celebrate me looking up the ftp info for my old webspace so that I can stop abusing the forum uploading thing, more screenshots!

Came across a delightful jungle world yesterday; very soothing, and everything turned a reddish hue at dusk and dawn. The colors in this game are just phenomenal.
    275850_20160902150205_1s.jpg
    275850_20160902150409_1s.jpg
    Today I wandered around this mildly radioactive planet with the HUD off once again. Came across two downed ships (both with less inventory space, so I just left them), and eventually made it to a landing pad and got back in my ship. Then I came across the biggest ruin I've seen so far:
    20160903204243_1s.jpg
    After activating it, one of the stone balls... came loose? And I got to push it around. Which meant:
    20160903204517_1s.jpg
    Golf!
    20160903204631_1s.jpg
    Did I mention the colors in this game are amazing.
    20160903204649_1s.jpg

edit: I did recently notice the connection wasn't active at one point, but I rarely actually upload stuff so I dunno how frequently it's been happening.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    I'm also getting crashes now, straight to desktop, where I wasn't before. That's . . . not spiffy.

• Options
    This game has gotta be the only one where I'm actively excited to see new posts in the hopes of new screenshots.

I'm basically using it as Zen Pokémon Snap.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The real question is what percentage of chairs and stools has everyone spun?

I try to get 100% but sure I missed a few.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I landed my ship and accidentally threaded the needle down a narrow hole. Way way down. Trying to fly it back out just caused me to bounce around and get further stuck. I had to walk to an outpost 7:00 minutes away to call it back out. At least I got this photo out of it.

tumblr_od09czqLNT1qlepd7o1_1280.jpg

• Options

Tonight too. Awesome.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Tonight too. Awesome.

Yeah, it was only up for part of the day, earlier.

• Options
    I tried the Big Things mod and it was a bit much even with the sparse add on:

9OjI

So removed the full pak and installed the 50% version and seems more reasonable:

sMaN

• Options
    I really need to give that thing and the low flight mods a try. I'm half thinking I should do so sooner rather than later, since maybe I'll get bored of the game and never get around to them, but on the other hand maybe I should wait until I start getting bored.

Anyway! Finally came across a ship that I felt would do. Not my most favorite design, but definitely nicer than the barges I've been puttering around in.
    275850_20160904223057_1s.jpg

And with everything important installed:
    275850_20160904220246_1s.jpg

The first order of business was warping to a nearby green star, because it was right next to me. The first planet I touched down on wasn't super interesting, aside from looking like a board game when zoomed out.
    275850_20160904221737_1s.jpg

Now it's time to really start exploring stars.

...after 72 hours.

• Options
    Wow, I haven't seen anything that looks that sleek, mostly as you said barges, the odd cool fighter, bug looking ships and whatever this thing is that I was driving for awhile just because it looked so different (not my image):

mikesship_610.jpg

Haven't tried the low flying mod, but the big things mod does sometimes make finding animals and resources harder, and the ship sometimes runs into a tree on takeoff, but the forest planets I've been on just seem more epic I've been walking around a lot more.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm flying around in a ship that looks like a duck.

• Options
    I'm flying around in a ship that looks like a duck.

I am the terror that flaps in the night, I am the interloper that mines your resources... I am Darkwing Josh!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I had spent a while farming spheres to afford a big ship upgrade. It was between the duck or another ship that looked like a tampon. In the end the duck had fewer slots but I am a sucker for aesthetics.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Decided to go after the Sentinel gold trophy (survive 32 Sols on an Extreme planet, which can be done by just hanging out in a base and occasionally topping off Life Support). Easy enough, with other stuff to do over the holiday weekend while I leave NMS running on the TV. Seems like a pretty silly trophy, but... I'm glad I got it.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Decided to go after the Sentinel gold trophy (survive 32 Sols on an Extreme planet, which can be done by just hanging out in a base and occasionally topping off Life Support). Easy enough, with other stuff to do over the holiday weekend while I leave NMS running on the TV. Seems like a pretty silly trophy, but... I'm glad I got it.

I've been working towards that one on a sentinel heavy planet filled with Vortex Cubes and Gravitino Balls; in conjunction with all the drones I shoot down and Neutrino Modules I get while running from cave to cave, or over the land proper, I've made a nice bundle of cash, while actively getting up to, like 24 sols thus far.