As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whomp! comic - ChicoBlue immortalizes Ronnie in a Bauhaus poster

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    There is also the Hail Mary move where you chose the line next to an empty checkout when it is busy on the hopes that they open it while you are next to it.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I use self-checkout every single time, unless I'm buying cigarettes. I'm probably better at checking people out than the people working there. I've learned where all the barcodes are on things I buy, and all the numerical codes for the produce.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    I use self-checkout every single time, unless I'm buying cigarettes. I'm probably better at checking people out than the people working there. I've learned where all the barcodes are on things I buy, and all the numerical codes for the produce.

Most produce has a sticker or twist-tie or something with the PLU code on it, so you don't even have to look it up on the self-checkout search.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    for someone with the anxieties

self-checkout is the best thing ever

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Self checkout always, even if it takes twice as long. It's the price to play for the luxury of never having to interact with another human being during a shopping trip.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Self-checkouts take longer to actually do, but I find waiting in line for them is ridiculously faster so it's totally worth it.

broken image link
  • Options
    Also, I like packing my own groceries.

I have a system.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    i just go with whichever one has less of a lineup. though if i've got a bunch of produce, i'll go with the cashier, because fuck memorizing numbers or going through their terribly laid out touchscreen menu.

if neither of those are an issue, i just use whichever one i didn't use last time

yes, there is logic, reason and balance in my life, if only in the market

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Now I am curious about how many countries have this system. In Sweden, many grocery stores allow you to borrow hand-scanners if you are a store member. You just grab a few bags (or bags you have brought with you that are easier to carry) and scan the wares and pack them as you walk around shopping. It lets you see how much you are buying for before you check out and makes queues basically nonexistent, which is awesome.

• Options
    i've never heard of that, and it sounds awesome

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Having worked as a cashier, I go to self checkout because I am better than the average cashier and have the numbers to prove it.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    The only way to make sure people pay for even half the things they grab is through spot checks where they check your groceries out the regular way to see how well you did. And just as expected, some people get super indignant about this, which depresses me a bit. Yes, I know you came here from work and just want to go home, but this is what you fucking signed up for!

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Most produce has a sticker or twist-tie or something with the PLU code on it, so you don't even have to look it up on the self-checkout search.

I'm talkin' the produce you bag yourself by weight, none of that stuff is tagged. But the Kroger I go to is just a smidge above "too scary to go to at night".

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    Now I am curious about how many countries have this system. In Sweden, many grocery stores allow you to borrow hand-scanners if you are a store member. You just grab a few bags (or bags you have brought with you that are easier to carry) and scan the wares and pack them as you walk around shopping. It lets you see how much you are buying for before you check out and makes queues basically nonexistent, which is awesome.

Sounds like something that would never happen in America, because everyone that steps foot into your store is a criminal trying to steal everything possible.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

I'm talkin' the produce you bag yourself by weight, none of that stuff is tagged. But the Kroger I go to is just a smidge above "too scary to go to at night".

The only stuff I know of that isn't tagged is stuff you get in bulk by using a scoop. Like nuts and grains and shit.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    you could do it with weight sensor'd shelves. weight comes off the shelf and the corresponding product doesn't get scanned in the next minute, time to send a dude out on 'random checks'. of course that'd only work if every customer were doing the hand scanner thing. weight sensing carts?

• Options
    The thing about doing it the way my store does it that I don't understand

Is why people don't just pile veggies on and say they're all onions or potatoes, or something super cheap. I'm too afraid to, but one day I am gonna break weak and buy a fuckton of shallots at onion price

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    buy washed potatoes at unwashed potato prices

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Scandalous!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    you could do it with weight sensor'd shelves. weight comes off the shelf and the corresponding product doesn't get scanned in the next minute, time to send a dude out on 'random checks'. of course that'd only work if every customer were doing the hand scanner thing. weight sensing carts?
    That how it works here. If the weights don't match what they have in the system then you cant finish checking out without the attendant helping you. I had doughnuts mislabeled as muffins once and it wouldn't let me finish, the lady comes over and sees this but she is too lazy to give a fuck and I got my thing cheaper anyway because of it.

The thing about doing it the way my store does it that I don't understand

Is why people don't just pile veggies on and say they're all onions or potatoes, or something super cheap. I'm too afraid to, but one day I am gonna break weak and buy a fuckton of shallots at onion price
    The attendant has a computer screen where all the items from all the self checkouts show up in real time. So if potatoes show up and they see tomatoes well, they will come right over.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am one of those people who argues with the self checkout machine. They are just so patronising! "please put the item in the bagging area" FUCK YOU I'M DOING IT GET OFF MY BACK.

I probably shouldn't use them.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Protip: For a bonus challenge, select Español if the self-checkout gives you an option for language!

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I don't know if the self-checkout machines at wegmans even know what a scale is, since the last time I was using it, it was constantly yelling at everyone to remove the unscanned item from the bagging area.

Of course, the only person they had that could override and double check was also running the only open checkout lane, so 15 minutes later I can leave with my 5 items.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Self checkout isn't really a thing in this country. I think IKEA has it and then a couple of supermarkets, but not all and only like 4 machines to 12 regular lines.

Also we bag our own stuff and carts/trolleys/buggys take a deposit of 1€ almost everywhere.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    I am one of those people who argues with the self checkout machine. They are just so patronising! "please put the item in the bagging area" FUCK YOU I'M DOING IT GET OFF MY BACK.

I've tried taking my own bag a few times. Without fail the machine freaks out about it being too heavy.

Self checkout machines hate the environment.

• Options
    Radius wrote: »
    Protip: For a bonus challenge, select Español if the self-checkout gives you an option for language!

next time i am totally gonna choose japanese or arabic or something

SEND HELP I PRESSED THE WRONG LANGUAGE AND I'M LOST

actually they would probably not see the funny side and just hate me instead

oh well, just another drop in the ocean

broken image link
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    One of the hazards of spending so much time alone is if you are one of those people who talks to themself, and by extension to inanimate objects, then you can lose the filter for when it is acceptable. So the other day I was getting some odd looks from the guy beside me as I kept saying to the checkout machine "Shut up. I'm doing it. Shut up. Shut up. I hate you. Shut up."

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

"unexpected item in bagging area"

"Yes I know, my son is leaning on the scale, now shut the fuck up and let me get on with it"

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    One of the hazards of spending so much time alone is if you are one of those people who talks to themself, and by extension to inanimate objects, then you can lose the filter for when it is acceptable. So the other day I was getting some odd looks from the guy beside me as I kept saying to the checkout machine "Shut up. I'm doing it. Shut up. Shut up. I hate you. Shut up."

You havent started making laser noises in a public trail because you were bored while walking to work and a hot jogger runs past

Because thats worse trust me

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Wh... Why laser noises?

• Options
    Like, "pew pew pew"? Or "zzzzap!"?

• Options
    all i need for self-checkout is a mirror

broken image link
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Like, "pew pew pew"? Or "zzzzap!"?

What kind of shitty ass laser only makes one? Gotta have settings.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    How has no one posted the Mcnugget Ronnie "storyline"

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »

Sounds like something that would never happen in America, because everyone that steps foot into your store is a criminal trying to steal everything possible.

I've seen stories of stores testing it in the USA. As much as they hate customers, they hate paying cashiers even more.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Wh... Why laser noises?

Why not?

Also it was a Schwaaaaa sound.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

I've seen stories of stores testing it in the USA. As much as they hate customers, they hate paying cashiers even more.

On a somewhat related note, you can no longer purchase alcohol at the self-checkout in California.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

What's that? The bagging area is roughly 3.5 square inches in area? And there's no button for "remove bag"? Gee what a fantastic idea.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    a5ehren wrote: »

The system is built to deal with cheaters in mind in any case, albeit slowly. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if you make significant errors while scanning you get checked more often, and presumably lose the right to use the system completely eventually. And of course they expect a certain percentage of theft, made up for by reduced wages and customer convenience as a5ehren mentioned.

It is testing my morals though. Sometimes I feel like I am a sucker for not fudging my scanning every now and then (or rather more often, I have had the occasional lapse). After all, I am sure most people forget to scan an item every now and then, and my record so far is almost completely spotless

It is weird, because the system has made it so that the consequences of petty theft are almost completely zero. I could theoretically steal for hundreds of dollars over the coming weeks and the only possible result would be some kind of warning or the spotchecks becoming more frequent.

So in the long run I expect the system works as well as it does because most Swedish people are so delightfully middle class and honest.

Vic on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I think I read somewhere that employees were more likely to steal from a store than the customers.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
This discussion has been closed.