As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    *Starts Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2*

"Everyone says this is the worst movie, but it just seems kind of silly so far"

*Teenager is introduced and starts acting*

"Oh."

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    "Acting"

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I caught a Kingkiller Chronicle joke in The Loves of Hercules, so I'm happy.

I don't remember that. I vaguely recall several different nerdy refs, but not that one

At one point there's a group traveling on the road they call the "Edema Ruh"

Oh yeah, i do remember that one.
    It's kind of weird having an MST with current references that i get. It makes a weird cognitive dissonance for me, because sometimes the references are so thick it feels like that's all they do and it pulls me out of it.

But then i remember how I watched Pod People like 10 times in high school, and needed my dad to explain the piles of references i didn't get.

Pod People is my favorite of the old MST3K

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Thank god the riffs are so solid in Wizards 2, this movie is a trashfire of nonsense.
    I lost it at "Golfax, no!"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I caught a Kingkiller Chronicle joke in The Loves of Hercules, so I'm happy.

I don't remember that. I vaguely recall several different nerdy refs, but not that one

At one point there's a group traveling on the road they call the "Edema Ruh"

Oh yeah, i do remember that one.
    It's kind of weird having an MST with current references that i get. It makes a weird cognitive dissonance for me, because sometimes the references are so thick it feels like that's all they do and it pulls me out of it.

But then i remember how I watched Pod People like 10 times in high school, and needed my dad to explain the piles of references i didn't get.

Pod People is my favorite of the old MST3K

It's so damn good.
    "Look, little wingéd potatoes."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I came home today to find my wife had bought me a surprise.
    PLClET1.jpg

edit: oh my god why is it so much work to take a picture with a phone and share it at a web appropriate size jfc

Delzhand on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Time Travelers: the stupidest people on the planet accidentally create a time portal. The writers couldn't figure out a way to get everyone through the portal so it just inexplicably happens.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Loves of Hercules was great

that Hydra fight tho. it looks like someone's dad trying to scare the squirrel off the house's gutters

• Options

that Hydra fight tho. it looks like someone's dad trying to scare the squirrel off the house's gutters

I can't figure out if The Loves of Hercules is "product of its time" bad like Time Travelers or "legitimately bad" like Starcrash.

• Options
    Starcrash like barely even made sense

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I didn't make it through Starcrash.

I got a phone call and had to pause it. I figured I had maybe 5 minutes left. I wasn't even halfway through. Wasn't worth it to me to finish it.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I feel like I need to watch the Starcrash episode again to make up for everyone else that hates it for some reason :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

I can't figure out if The Loves of Hercules is "product of its time" bad like Time Travelers or "legitimately bad" like Starcrash.

Jayne Mansfield Doth cover a multitude of sins.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I feel like I need to watch the Starcrash episode again to make up for everyone else that hates it for some reason :P

#torpedo

I don't know why I liked that part so much, but I did.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    When I speak of thinking a movie was boring or whatever, I mean theverything movie itself. All the episodes are great

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    I know the invention exchanges are usually intentionally goofy, but I swear I'd buy a TinyDesk from the beginning of the Yongary episode.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Watching Starcrash. This movie is batshit insane. It might have been written by 6th graders.

Look! Amazons on horseback!

• Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    Finished the season. Great overall to have MST back, but I have some grumbles.

1) Film-look vs. the old video taped look. The old series had a more "homemade" feel recorded on video that this season lacked. Made it seem a bit more... cold.

2) The Skeleton Crew. No sir, I don't like 'em. They're too... I don't know- goofy? They seem superfluous.

3) it's been mentioned previously, but the riff pacing in spots seemed rushed & too forced. If they get more seasons, I'm sure they'll find a groove. It took the Joel/Mike crews a few years each to get things down.

4) The host segments needed a good set length. most were either too long or too short.

Overall, though I'm happy with it and will probably give it a re-watch.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    The skeleton crew had grown on me a lot about halfway through the season, but their entire presence is pretty bizarre.

I think the initial disconnect is that the old shows feel way more claustrophobic. Lots of small sets with up-close cameras. The sheer number of faceless people flies in the face of that.

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    Is anybody gonna talk about Har Mar Superstar, though?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Credit where credit is due!
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Har Mar Superstar is singing the theme song, which I was pumped about.

:rotate:

JebusUD on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    BANG!
    Just made it through Cry Wilderness. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE?

Also, freeze frame!

• Options
    TachTach Registered User regular

That's something else I didn't like. The rendition of the theme song. It doesn't jibe for me and the shouting at the end was jarring.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The skeleton crew had grown on me a lot about halfway through the season, but their entire presence is pretty bizarre.

I think the initial disconnect is that the old shows feel way more claustrophobic. Lots of small sets with up-close cameras. The sheer number of faceless people flies in the face of that.

The Skelton crew thing is just so weird and oft kilter that it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Joel came up with it. Seems like his style of humor.

I love that they don't have a slavish devotion to the original series and are doing some weird stuff. By not copying th content but keeping the spirit it ends up feeling much more in tune with the original.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Seal wrote: »
    Watching Starcrash. This movie is batshit insane. It might have been written by 6th graders.

I mean... it was written to show Caroline Munro in a bunch of skimpy outfits :P The planet of amazons with a giant robot that has boobs kind of drives that point home :D

Edit: I am looking at the IMDB page for the movie... Dang, that crazy southern robot was Gizmoduck?!

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Tach wrote: »

That's something else I didn't like. The rendition of the theme song. It doesn't jibe for me and the shouting at the end was jarring.

Booo!

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Kinda liked Reptilicus more than Cry Wilderness.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Reptilicus was the better-written movie :biggrin:

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    Kinda liked Reptilicus more than Cry Wilderness.

That being said, I'm pretty sure <movie> was the better-written movie :biggrin:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Episode 4, wow.
    NPH and Felicia Day. It's the Dr. Horrible sequel I never knew I wanted.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The missus and I are like 15 minutes into STARCRASH. This is gonna be a wild ride, isn't it.

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    The missus and I are like 15 minutes into STARCRASH. This is gonna be a wild ride, isn't it.

Hope you like butts

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »

I mean... it was written to show Caroline Munro in a bunch of skimpy outfits :P The planet of amazons with a giant robot that has boobs kind of drives that point home :D

898e157789f6664df0ba62e2e59619fa.gif

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The fact that show doesn't try to simply ape the old series is a big reason why I like it so much. The old show went through multiple iterations of bads, hosts, settings, and voice actors, so this feels pretty much perfectly in line with all that. The camp is still definitely there, with the invention exchanges, handmade models for all the space shots, and the rough edges on plenty of the bads/host scenes.

And the guests are way out of left field, which I love. A random freaking circus musical number from Mark Hamill? Seinfield? Neil Patrick Harris? Amazing.

Also, for the last episode
    Jonah getting "eaten" matches the tone of the show spot-on to me, I don't see why it would be a big deal.

I fully expect something like getting eaten by reptilicus mechanicus just sends Jonah back up to SoL. Assuming we get another season (which I don't know why we wouldn't, since I would be so on board with another Kickstarter for more MST3K goodness), there's no way they'll let go of a host that just spent a season getting their footing.

Overall, I'd say the average quality meets the later years of the original show, at the very least, and has great ones that are right up there with some of the classics. I would like to see the non-movie segments get a bit more even on time, though, they really do seem to run too long or too short fairly frequently.

• Options
    I'm calling Carnival Magic as the "I need a shower" movie of the season.

It's not as gross as some of the films in the older seasons, there is something unseemly about the film.

• Options

It's not as gross as some of the films in the older seasons, there is something unseemly about the film.

I mean

It's all about carnies, so

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

I mean

It's all about carnies, so

And the story is centered around a bunch of older men obsessing over a girl's transition to womanhood. All of them carnies.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Don't forget the domestic abuse!

• Options
    And animal exploitation.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Oh man, the carnies do the "hey rube" thing.

That's actually kinda cool.