As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why did you jump on the spikes, Giant Bomb?

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Broken Age is fucking delightful and charming.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Let's all take a moment and think about a Nintendo system where the operating system is just Animal Crossing

You boot into your own little village and all your game achievements translate directly into items for your system which people on your friends list can visit
    1MpALRS.png

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Let's all take a moment and think about a Nintendo system where the operating system is just Animal Crossing

You boot into your own little village and all your game achievements translate directly into items for your system which people on your friends list can visit

Each WiiU is a town

You go to the shop to go to the eShop

The villagers tell you about the hot new games

"Have you seen that Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies is now available, poink? It's only $29.99!"

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    If I recall correctly Miyamoto was also against having a Hard mode in SS, and tried to shut down Link Between Worlds

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Yeah I just

Look

Miyamato did amazing things for the industry

Retire now please

I agree with you but it's spelled Miyamoto and your posts are driving me nuts.

sig.gif
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Each WiiU is a town

You go to the shop to go to the eShop

The villagers tell you about the hot new games

"Have you seen that Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies is now available, poink? It's only $34.99!"

but then when you buy it, you have to go to your character's home and have them pick up their 3DS to play the game

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    You got all the big coins in Mario

Here's an exclusive design where you can make your house look like Toad's Mushroom house

fuck now I'm actively angry at them for not doing this

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Nintendo is my professor who refuses to use the schools online grading network

Because its new therefore its awful

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    Yeah I just

Look

Retire now please

I fixed it in the most recent one, sorry <3

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I mean if Nintendo is so adamant about being a gaming company for the gamers

Make the foundation of your system an actual game

And for people who aren't interested in the concept, have a blades-esque menu a button press away that just gets you to whatever you're trying to do

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    There are some fair criticisms of Nintendo's aversion to internet services, and maybe Miyamoto might have something to do with those things in a tangential way.

But short of the man calling a press conference and screaming racial epithets at everyone present, i'm never going to want him to step down out of anything but a desire for quiet retirement. Dude gets a free pass in my book, and he never seems to run out of fun games to put out.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Yeah I just

Look

Retire now please

Miyamato

ALWkl0j.jpg

Langly on
  • Options
    There are some fair criticisms of Nintendo's aversion to internet services, and maybe Miyamoto might have something to do with those things in a tangential way.

But short of the man calling a press conference and screaming racial epithets at everyone present, i'm never going to want him to step down out of anything but a desire for quiet retirement. Dude gets a free pass in my book, and he never seems to run out of fun games to put out.

The last fun game Miyamoto put out was Pikmin. He's only involved in game-making in an advisory capacity; since Pikmin, the only games he's actively directed have been Nintendogs, Wii Sports and Wii Music.

Well okay Wii Sports was fun but it's not what you're thinking of.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I wanted to talk about point and click adventure games in the last thread but it got locked. I grew up on those. When I was a kid my first computer games were Prince of Persia, Wolfenstein 3D, Commander Keen and Hugo's House of Horrors. At some point I got the original Manic Mansion and for Christmas a few years later I got Sam and Max: Hit the Road (which I still have on CD here). My grandfather had all of the Kings Quest games and played them with me, and my best friend had all the Monkey Island games and Loom. I love those things. Still need to play DotT, Grim Fandango, and Full Throttle.

God I love point and clicks, and I am so glad they are coming back

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Polygon finally finished their GOTY list:
    10. Tearaway
    9. KR0
    8. SM3DW
    7. GTAV
    6. Brothers
    4. (tie) TLOU & Bioshock Infinite
    3. Towerfall
    2. Zelda
    1. Gone Home

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I wanted to talk about point and click adventure games in the last thread but it got locked. I grew up on those. When I was a kid my first computer games were Prince of Persia, Wolfenstein 3D, Commander Keen and Hugo's House of Horrors. At some point I got the original Manic Mansion and for Christmas a few years later I got Sam and Max: Hit the Road (which I still have on CD here). My grandfather had all of the Kings Quest games and played them with me, and my best friend had all the Monkey Island games and Loom. I love those things. Still need to play DotT, Grim Fandango, and Full Throttle.

Jesus, you say you love point and clicks but the three examples you "still need to play" are the best ones ever made in this genre. Get on that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    the besties' and polygon's obsession with Towerfall drove me mad

• Options
    the main reason to listen to that podcast is still Justin and Griffen McElroy's bafflement at the other two hosts

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    seasleepy wrote: »
    10. Tearaway
    9. KR0
    8. SM3DW
    7. GTAV
    6. Brothers
    3. Towerfall
    2. Zelda
    1. Gone Home

you can't have 11 games on a top 10 list god damn it

• Options
    Towerfall being number 3 is such an incredible representation of how left field Polygon has gone

That game is firmly in the realm of 'Pretty ok'

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Bucketman wrote: »

Fate of Atlantis
    man

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    THIS IS LIKE GIVING HALF STARS, WHICH PORYGON ALSO DOES

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Towerfall is Just inferior Samurai Gunn

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    10. Tearaway
    9. KR0
    8. SM3DW
    7. GTAV
    6. Brothers
    3. Towerfall
    2. Zelda
    1. Gone Home

Don't worry if their list isn't well received they'll bump the number down

• Options
    10. Tearaway
    9. KR0
    8. SM3DW
    7. GTAV
    6. Brothers
    3. Towerfall
    2. Zelda
    1. Gone Home

No, you can't

and they don't

we all agree about this! Wanna have a drink?

sig.gif
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    10. Tearaway
    9. KR0
    8. SM3DW
    7. GTAV
    6. Brothers
    3. Towerfall
    2. Zelda
    1. Gone Home

They....do have 10 though? They skipped 5?

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    just want to clarify that i was being facetious just in case anyone thought i was actually that obsessed

I'll admit the zeal towards this game has turned me off from looking into it

which is really dumb of me!
    no this is completely understandable and reasonable

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Simben did you just talk shit about nintendogs

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular

The last fun game Miyamoto put out was Pikmin. He's only involved in game-making in an advisory capacity; since Pikmin, the only games he's actively directed have been Nintendogs, Wii Sports and Wii Music.

Well okay Wii Sports was fun but it's not what you're thinking of.

Well i mean, he also produced every singe Mario game for the last 6 years too, and i guess you can argue about whether or not he had any real affect on those games based on whatever limited information we have. I'm more inclined to believe he had a positive affect, but i guess there's no proving that.

But that seems like a silly thing to do, and putting Nintendo's problem on any one person, let alone someone with a sterling record like Miyamoto, seems kind of pointless to me. I don't think him retiring would solve anything on it's own, and at the end of the day Nintendo could ignore the internet completely and if the games where still good i'd prefer that.

• Options
    oh

carry on then

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »

Listen, listen

Can we please all just calm down

Join hands

And all talk shit about Wii Music

That unrepentant piece of garbotrash

• Options

Don't even try to defend it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want a tomagotchi.

• Options

Look I know you worked on far cry but not every game needs to have a skinning mechanic

• Options

Look I know you worked on far cry but not every game needs to have a skinning mechanic

They took it out of Pikmin for a reason

• Options
    I really thought it worked well in New Leaf, to be fair

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I loved the pro-templar stuff in ac4 but that always felt more tongue-in-cheek and for the player's benefit

with Liberation being a proper released Abstergo Entertainment product the way they support the templars is subtler and wonderfully subversive

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oh my god old tomagotchis are expensive...

Also just saw a lot of a bunch of digimon toys up for almost 500 bucks.

And my brother has most of those. I wonder if he'd like to make some money?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    in this era of the dadification of video games it is nice to see mother-daughter relationships get some exploration too in liberation

I was worried that aveline would be the lone STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER in a still male-dominated story but in fact most of the major players are women and it certainly flies through the bechdel test

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    But the problem is that no aspect of Aveline's characterization is at all explored or expanded upon. There's some lore stuff that fills in the gaps but it just jumps ahead to NOW SHE'S AN ASSASSIN OKAY FREE SOME SLAVES.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.