Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 5E] Barrowtown - A 5E PbP (Game's done! Post-game discussion is open!)

1235724

Posts

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Sophia silently walks up to the room and puts her ear to the door.

    Perception to hear through door: 1d20 7
    Stealth check: 1d20+4 7

    *cry*

    IKknkhU.gif
    Elvenshae
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yeah Sophia, that's the thing about big stone hallways: they echo. What you can now hear as a few distinct voices speaking in an unusual language (do you speak Draconic?) suddenly stop as you draw close to the room. Nothing comes out into the hallway to investigate yet, but whatever is in there is on alert now.

    Halath, you're feeling pretty quiet compared to Sophia. If something is around, they're probably more focused on her and likely haven't noticed your presence.

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, Sophia does not speak Draconic. Only Common, Elvish and Dwarvish.

    Sophia finds a nice, large object or nook to hide behind while she mentally cusses at herself.

    Stealth to hide: 1d20+4 14

    IKknkhU.gif
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The best you can do is to crouch behind one of the huge round stones that are acting as doors to other areas in the barrow. It's not a lot of cover, but it's better than nothing.

    After a few tense moments of silence, you see a pair of kobolds come out of the glowing green room, stumbling slightly as though they were pushed. They look around, notably without any of their own light sources. The first of the two shrugs and starts to turn, but just as it does so the second kobold shrieks. It yells something as it points a clawed finger at both of you, then grabs its partner and runs back into the room.

    Roll Initiative!

    Elvenshae
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+3 19 [1d20=16]

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20-1 16 [1d20=17]

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]

    IKknkhU.gif
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    If it's allowed, and especially since her modifier is higher, I'd like to yield to Sophia.

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Initiative

    Stupid phone...12 total since it should be +3 not +1


    Initiative:
    1d20+1 10 [1d20=9]

    Nealneal on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Round 1

    So much for stealth, but at least it's only kobolds.

    enc02-round1.jpg

    Sophia - HP 8/8; AC 14
    Loc: H1; Status: Normal.
    Geoffrey - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: N3; Status: Normal.
    Kobold 1 - HP 2/2; AC 11
    Loc: D7; Status: Normal.
    Kobold 2 - HP 2/2; AC 11
    Loc: B8; Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 9/9; AC 18
    Loc: N1; Status: Normal.
    Halath - HP 7/12; AC 14
    Loc: J3; Status: Normal.
    Kobold Alchemist 1 - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: C11; Status: Normal.
    Kobold Alchemist 2 - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: E11; Status: Normal.

    Up First: @Stilts

    Elvenshaeam0n
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Huh. My group has always played that diagonal movement was also 5 feet for simplicity. Carry on.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Huh. My group has always played that diagonal movement was also 5 feet for simplicity. Carry on.

    I would too, and it is the standard rule in 4E.

    That is not the case in 5E, however, nor is it the case if you switch to the optional method of using squares instead of feet. I could houserule it, but I'm trying to avoid as much of that as I can for the purposes of this playtest.

    That being said, I have actually simplified it somewhat, making it a flat 7 feet instead of 7.5 feet, which has the dual purpose of making diagonal movement a little closer to the actual geometry (~7.07 feet) and not punishing a person for moving diagonally.

    Tox
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Ah, I see that 5E rule now.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    On the upside: they're just kobolds, Sophia thinks to herself. On the downside, I thought that about the wolves, too.

    Feeling a little more cautious this time, she decides to start the fight with a rousing song of battle.

    Sophia activates "Call to Battle." Sophia and all allies within 25 feet of her can add 1d4 to damage rolls for melee and ranged attacks.

    IKknkhU.gif
    Elvenshaeam0n
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    IKknkhU.gif
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    With a toothy grin, Geoffrey advances up toward his allies, keeping his crossbow carefully trained on the corner "Ah, kobolds. Much more...corporeal."

    Move to I1. Readying an action to fire on the first kobold that rounds the corner.

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for readied action.
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for crossbow damage.

    readied action:
    1d20+4 18 [1d20=14]
    crossbow damage:
    1d8+3 11 [1d8=8]

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Remember to add 1d4 to the damage roll because of my song.

    IKknkhU.gif
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I don't think it matters. 11 damage will kill anything that rounds that corner. =P

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Sorry about the late update. I had it in my head that I was waiting for another one of you.

    A few of you can hear whispered arguing coming from the room, but none of the kobolds are venturing out into the hallway yet.

    Kobold 1 readies an action.

    Kobold 2 readies an action.

    enc02-round1b.jpg

    Sophia - HP 8/8; AC 14
    Loc: H1; Status: Call to Battle.
    Geoffrey - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: I1; Status: Readied Action.
    Kobold 1 - HP 2/2; AC 11
    Loc: D7; Status: Readied Action.
    Kobold 2 - HP 2/2; AC 11
    Loc: B8; Status: Readied Action.
    Theresa - HP 9/9; AC 18
    Loc: N1; Status: Normal.
    Halath - HP 7/12; AC 14
    Loc: J3; Status: Normal.
    Kobold Alchemist 1 - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: C11; Status: Normal.
    Kobold Alchemist 2 - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: E11; Status: Normal.

    Up Next: @Melding

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Theresa moves up, and prepares for whatever to walk out of that room

    Move to I3. Ready action waiting for a kobold to enter the same row or atleast d3.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Halath moves to the corner and tries to sneak a peek.

    Move to E3
    Sneak a peek.
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Dexterity (Stealth)

    Dexterity (Stealth):
    1d20+4 23 [1d20=19]

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Halath can see Kobold 2 and a hint of Kobold 1 (K1 has 3/4 Cover from you).

    Suddenly a clay pot comes flying out of the room, smashing against the wall. A cloud of fire erupts from the impact, burning Sophia and Halath, but not quite reaching anyone else. Seconds later another pot of fire explodes in the same spot.

    A1 moves to D9, then throws a Fire Bomb into square D1. All targets within a 20-foot radius (Sophia and Halath) must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC 11).
    A2 moves to D8, then throws a Fire Bomb into square D1. All targets within a 20-foot radius (Sophia and Halath) must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC 11).


    Round 2

    enc02-round2.jpg

    Sophia - HP 8/8; AC 14
    Loc: H1; Status: Call to Battle.
    Geoffrey - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: I1; Status: Readied Action.
    Kobold 1 - HP 2/2; AC 11
    Loc: D7; Status: Readied Action.
    Kobold 2 - HP 2/2; AC 11
    Loc: B8; Status: Readied Action.
    Theresa - HP 9/9; AC 18
    Loc: I3; Status: Readied Action.
    Halath - HP 7/12; AC 14
    Loc: E3; Status: Stealth (23).
    Kobold Alchemist 1 - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: D9; Status: Normal.
    Kobold Alchemist 2 - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: D8; Status: Normal.

    Up Next: @Stilts and @Nealneal‌, please make two Dexterity saving throws (DC 11), then it will be Sophia's turn if she's still conscious.

    Denada on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Halath is surpised by the fire bombs and fails to get out of the way.

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Dex Save
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Dex Save

    Dex Save:
    1d20+3 7 [1d20=4]
    Dex Save:
    1d20+3 5 [1d20=2]

    Nealneal on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    "Woah! Not cool!" Sophia exclaims as she dances around the explosion and pats flames off her clothes.

    Reflex vs. Fire bombs: 1d20+4 15 1d20+4 22

    IKknkhU.gif
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Halath takes full damage from both fire bombs for a total of 13 fire damage, taking him to 0 HP (apparently there is no negative HP in 5E; I think I missed this before), but failing to kill him outright. Halath is now dying.

    Sophia takes half damage from both fire bombs for a total of 6 fire damage. She is now at 2 HP.

    @Stilts you may continue with your turn now.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Not going to lie, poor Halath has been more of a detriment to this party than a help.

    Elvenshae
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    If I've picked up anything so far about 5E, it seems you have to be pretty aggressive. Maybe it's just a fact of the low HP vs. Damage at low levels?

    am0n on
    Elvenshae
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    So much for making them come to us, Sophia thinks as she moves up the hallways and attacks a kobold with her bow.

    Unfortunately, she's suddenly distracted by a bit of flame on her pants that she didn't manage to snuff out. Her arrow goes left and plinks off the wall.

    Move to B1

    Attack kobold A2: 1d20+4 6 1d6+1d4+4 10

    IKknkhU.gif
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, Sophia never gets the chance to attack. As soon as she comes into view of the kobolds a small, smooth stone strikes her right in the forehead, dropping her to the ground.

    K1's readied action (to attack the first target to come in front of the room with its sling) triggers when Sophia enters D1. The attack hits for 5 damage, taking her down to 0 HP.

    @Tox, you're up next.

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Welp.

    Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    Denadaam0nElvenshae
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Very aggressive, apparently!

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    "I am so not getting paid enough for this." Geoffrey grumbles, stowing his crossbow as he moves to aid his allies in what little way he can. He crosses the corridor, advancing toward the half-elf, grabbing, then dragging as far as he's able.

    Move to F3, grab Halath. If I'm reading the rules right, I can drag up to 750 lbs without having my movement reduced to 5ft. So if that's right, dragging Halath to G3, with myself in H3. Otherwise, pulling him back as far as I'm able, keeping us both along the wall.

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Feeling pretty confident about things right now, one of the kobolds ventures out into the hallway to see who else he can kill. Could this be his first and/or last mistake?

    K1 moves to D3. Does this trigger Theresa's readied action, @Melding?

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I do think so. though I guess i should have specified my reaction at the time, and will next time. For future reference, it's probably going to be sacred flame. like it is this time

    Having an Enemy enter her view raises her hand to try to smite the creature with a sacred flame.

    K1 must make a dex save of 12 or take the following d8 of damage.

    Geth roll 1d8

    1d8 2 [1d8=2]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for K1's Dex save

    K1's Dex save:
    1d20+1 19 [1d20=18]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Sorry for the delay. Busy weekend.

    The kobolds continue their foray into the hallway, making a bit of headway with the melee, striking Geoffrey from far away.

    K1 attacks Geoffrey with his sling, but misses.

    K2 moves to B3, then attacks Geoffrey with his sling, hitting for 2 bludgeoning damage.

    enc02-round2b.jpg

    Sophia - HP 0/8; AC 14
    Loc: D1; Status: Dying (0/0).
    Geoffrey - HP 5/7; AC 15
    Loc: H3; Status: Normal.
    Kobold 1 - HP 2/2; AC 11
    Loc: D3; Status: Normal.
    Kobold 2 - HP 2/2; AC 11
    Loc: B3; Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 9/9; AC 18
    Loc: I3; Status: Normal.
    Halath - HP 0/12; AC 14
    Loc: G3; Status: Dying (0/0).
    Kobold Alchemist 1 - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: D9; Status: Normal.
    Kobold Alchemist 2 - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: D8; Status: Normal.

    Up Next: @Melding

    Denada on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Theresa runs to the side of her fallen friend, laying a single hand on him to restore his strength.

    "You really need to stop getting so beat up so quickly. It's really not flattering."

    move to G2. Use Cure Wounds to restore 2d8+5 hp

    Geth roll 2d8+5

    Next up @Nealneal

    2d8+5 17 [2d8=8, 4]

    Melding on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Halath shakes his head as the healing power washes over him. He looks to Theresa and says, "I'll keep that in mind."

    Of course he then stands and moves to engage and kill the two nearest kobolds.

    Use 5ft of movement to stand, use remainder of movement to move to C2
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Main Hand Short Sword vs. K1
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Off-Hand Short Sword vs. K2

    Min damage kills them, so no need to roll?

    Main Hand Short Sword vs. K1:
    1d20+4 15 [1d20=11]
    Off-Hand Short Sword vs. K2:
    1d20+4 18 [1d20=14]

    Nealneal on
Sign In or Register to comment.