As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Pack Rat Fever (BOTG Sealed League, see pg 20)

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    well yes thanks for pointing that out that its a token deck

but im pretty sure a questionably put together BW tokens list that is worth less than the MSRP does not bode well

That... uh... was the joke.

Sometime said "what even is this?" I was all, "it's simple and dumb!"

You can lighten up, you know. Won't kill you.

You don't know that, I personally have a condition where if I ever relax and lower my blood pressure my entire body will deflate and I die

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Christ guys. I'm disappointed too. I think they could have and should have done more but you're all being so damned hyperbolic.

It's a two hundred dollar deck for less then half that they gets you about half way towards either tokens or soul sisters. Yes it really should have had at least one bitterblossom but you people act like they spite in your damn faces.

And godless shrines? An easy addition they anybody making the leap from standard could make. That's why it's not a shrine. That's why the duress arnt thoughtsiezes.

Seriously; if you look at the reddit thread, you'd think WotC had personally shit in every person's Cheerios.

How dare they make something I don't want to buy.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Those bastards!

Letting anyone who wants to, buy an easy to understand and low difficulty deck which has parts for more complex decks, at a reasonable price!

Where's my molotov!

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    i have a question, o magicians

let's say I'm playing with this deck (spoiler: I am, it's been pretty fun so far):
    Creatures:
    4 Rakdos Cackler
    4 Firedrinker Satyr
    4 Akroan Crusader
    4 Ash Zealot
    3 Arena Athlete
    3 Everflame Eidolon
    4 Prophetic Flamespeaker

4 Titan's Strength
    4 Madcap
    4 Dragon Mantle
    2 Hall of Triumph

18 mountain
    2 mutavault

how the f do i sideboard

especially against u/w: what should I be doing? If it's already designed to go pretty dang fast, do i... find a way to go faster? I guess I just don't really know where to start; I'd thought maybe Arena Athlete would be an easy drop, but if Nyx-fleece Ram starts coming out of the board he seems pretty solid again

maybe have bestow (warhound) to bring in as opposed to madcap?

Yo

Mono-red is typically limited in its sideboard options, and often easy to hate out in the format (especially when cards like Nyx-Fleece Ram get printed)

Your best bet against 4+ toughness creatures is probably a black splash for Doom Blade or Dreadbore, and Skullcrack is the most promising card available against Sphinx's Revelation.

Be careful about diluting your deck's main plan too much -- you need a critical mass of action cards to kill anyone, and over-sideboarding is a good way to screw yourself over on this front. Some matchups you will just have to accept that you're 30-70 to win, and hope that you draw well and your opponent draws poorly. That's one of the downsides of playing a linear strategy.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    i have a question, o magicians

let's say I'm playing with this deck (spoiler: I am, it's been pretty fun so far):
    Creatures:
    4 Rakdos Cackler
    4 Firedrinker Satyr
    4 Akroan Crusader
    4 Ash Zealot
    3 Arena Athlete
    3 Everflame Eidolon
    4 Prophetic Flamespeaker

4 Titan's Strength
    4 Madcap
    4 Dragon Mantle
    2 Hall of Triumph

18 mountain
    2 mutavault

how the f do i sideboard

especially against u/w: what should I be doing? If it's already designed to go pretty dang fast, do i... find a way to go faster? I guess I just don't really know where to start; I'd thought maybe Arena Athlete would be an easy drop, but if Nyx-fleece Ram starts coming out of the board he seems pretty solid again

maybe have bestow (warhound) to bring in as opposed to madcap?

Yo

Mono-red is typically limited in its sideboard options, and often easy to hate out in the format (especially when cards like Nyx-Fleece Ram get printed)

Your best bet against 4+ toughness creatures is probably a black splash for Doom Blade or Dreadbore, and Skullcrack is the most promising card available against Sphinx's Revelation.

Be careful about diluting your deck's main plan too much -- you need a critical mass of action cards to kill anyone, and over-sideboarding is a good way to screw yourself over on this front. Some matchups you will just have to accept that you're 30-70 to win, and hope that you draw well and your opponent draws poorly. That's one of the downsides of playing a linear strategy.

Yeah, I'm playing a mono-red devotion deck before I saw this list. The black splash in these decks is huge, since it gives you access to a buttload of removal and sideboard options (lookin at you, duress + Slaughter Games)

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    The decklist for the Modern Event Deck.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/299a

Try not to hurt yourself laughing.

This is disgraceful.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Honestly, I like the essence of the deck. But I like token decks.

I just wouldn't possibly consider that version of a token deck any kind of competitive in a super competitive environment like a PTQ or something.

But I'm not sure that's what they were shooting for.

Or... Just maybe WoTC knows that the "meta" is not as pervasive as some people pretend it is, and that deck will fair just fine at an average FNM. I'm probably wrong on that, though. My anecdotal experience is that any modern event in my local scene see's maybe 3 or 4 of the "meta approved" decks, and a dozen "I made this" decks. This event deck is super middling, but is simple enough to drive easily against other middling decks.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

This is disgraceful.

How dare they only put $150 of value into the deck.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    My complaint stems from the fact that WotC keeps saying they want to get people into modern, but they won't reprint a bunch of the modern staples, or won't print them outside of a very limited release.

The deck looks fun enough, but it's still another Modern product that doesn't really make it easier to get into modern.

Course, $80 for one deck is out of my price range anyway, so eh.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Even if the deck had fetch lands in it, a single intro deck wouldn't affect the price enough to change the barrier to entry.

The whole point of Modern is that they can reprint the staples of the format whenever they want to. They can either do it in limited releases like MM or in regular standard legal sets. Only standard legal sets have enough volume to push the price down, so to lower the barrier they'll have to print fetches etc. in those sets. The thing is, the sets have to be designed to support and balance cards like that in multiple formats, and sets are designed years in advance. They're already doing stuff like Thoughtseize, and have all but confirmed that fetches are coming soon.

Modern staples eventually will be reprinted at volumes sufficient to lower the price barrier, but I'm not surprised that it's taking a long time. The intro deck might get a few more people into the format, but one precon deck was never going to single-handedly break open the format to everyone who wanted a competitive deck on the cheap.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

This is disgraceful.

there is 60$ worth of cards and another 90 of meaningless shit

would you take a trade of 200$ worth of basic lands for a playset of elspeths?

• Options
    I get pissed at stuff like that because wizards keeps promising they are so totally going to make it easier and cheaper to get people into modern, and then the go and do shit like FTV20 and masters and do not care how much dealers sell the packs for so long as they get paid

and then they introduce a jumbled mess of a deck like this thats supposed to be at least slightly competitive?

they could've made a UR storm deck sans Tarns for cheaper that would at least be able to win on fridays or something

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014

This is disgraceful.

This is disingenuous, because even cards that will never be played in the Modern format but are legal for it have value, so the value of this deck vs. the "value" is completely inflated. As far as increasing circulation of much needed staples, this does nothing, which is what I think is disgraceful.

silence1186 on
  • Options

This is disgraceful.

This is disingenuous, because even cards that will never be played in the Modern format but are legal for it have value, so the value of this deck vs. the "value" is completely inflated. As far as increasing circulation of much needed staples, this does nothing, which is what I think is disgraceful.

elspeth and the sword and that's pretty much it

• Options
    I think is all but confirms fetches in the next Fall set though.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Even if the deck had fetch lands in it, a single intro deck wouldn't affect the price enough to change the barrier to entry.

The whole point of Modern is that they can reprint the staples of the format whenever they want to. They can either do it in limited releases like MM or in regular standard legal sets. Only standard legal sets have enough volume to push the price down, so to lower the barrier they'll have to print fetches etc. in those sets. The thing is, the sets have to be designed to support and balance cards like that in multiple formats, and sets are designed years in advance. They're already doing stuff like Thoughtseize, and have all but confirmed that fetches are coming soon.

Modern staples eventually will be reprinted at volumes sufficient to lower the price barrier, but I'm not surprised that it's taking a long time. The intro deck might get a few more people into the format, but one precon deck was never going to single-handedly break open the format to everyone who wanted a competitive deck on the cheap.

Or they could do Modern Masters 2 with a normal print run. They've released 5 sets in one year before. Release it somewhere between the core set and the first set of the new block. Get that shit into big box stores that won't massively inflate the price of each pack.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    onslaught fetches were apparently confirmed by devs at pax? I believe

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    onslaught fetches were apparently confirmed by devs at pax? I believe

I wonder if they'll do allied fetches in the Sarkhan Vol block this Fall, and then next Fall we have "Return to Zendikar" with the other 5 fetches and the return of Landfall?

• Options
    I want return to zendikar if only for the basic lands

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

This is disgraceful.

elspeth and the sword and that's pretty much it

Paths are basically required for any white deck and 7 dollars to boot. Windbreak heights is a soul sisters card that costs 7 and you get a play set. City of brass ain't nothing either.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I'm fine with any plane that gives me full art basics tbh

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Apparently Aaron Forscythe said something that makes it seem like fetches won't be in Huey, but it wasn't that definite one way or the other.

• Options
    Apparently Aaron Forscythe said something that makes it seem like fetches won't be in Huey, but it wasn't that definite one way or the other.

Maybe M15, so we have a summer of Standard with the best possible (non-Reserved list) mana bases? Summer Standard IS an irrelevant format, after all. Seems crazy though.

• Options
    IIRC he referenced how long it takes to bring something from development to market, but basically confirmed that fetches getting reprinted was a "when" question, not an "if."

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular

Maybe M15, so we have a summer of Standard with the best possible (non-Reserved list) mana bases? Summer Standard IS an irrelevant format, after all. Seems crazy though.
    Summer of "5-Color Good Stuff Standard" would be a wet dream.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Id prefer Summer Of Mill, but I'm weird

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Summer of Luigi

• Options
    I would laugh forever if Chromanticore somehow became a standard powerhouse

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Make liliana of the veil the standard core set liliana and reprint fetches next set, bam that event deck is fine now.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Garruk into Chromanticore! And he doesn't even die to Doom Blade!

(Although he does die to Glare of Heresy, Dark Betrayal, Feast of Dreams, Deicide, Gainsay...)

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Okay so cool! thanks all y'all for the SB advice and suggestions. I'm thinking if I want to do the splash, I'd go either white or black, ideally running 4 shocklands, 3 mana confluence, 2 temples

this is my rough idea so far:

SB if black:
    2 legion loyalist - vs aggro/ mono u?
    2 hammer of purph - vs u/w/x or b devotion
    2 chandra, pyromaster -vs u/w/x... b devotion?
    3 skullcrack - vs u/w/x
    1 harness by force - vs monsters
    2 doom blade - vs monsters, maybe vs sheep
    2 ultimate price - vs mono b
    1 dreadbore - vs monsters/ u/w/x
    1 thoughtseize - vs u/w/x

if white:
    2 legion loyalist
    2 hammer of purph
    2 chandra, pyromaster
    2 skullcrack
    1 harness by force
    2 chained to the dwaynes - monsters
    2 boros charm - verdict
    1 iroas - monsters
    2 wear/tear - almost everything

and seeing as these are mostly not creatures, try and mostly sub removal/appropriate burn or board presence stabilizers in for pump

original deck for reference
    Creatures:
    4 Rakdos Cackler
    4 Firedrinker Satyr
    4 Akroan Crusader
    4 Ash Zealot
    3 Arena Athlete
    3 Everflame Eidolon
    4 Prophetic Flamespeaker

4 Titan's Strength
    4 Madcap
    4 Dragon Mantle
    2 Hall of Triumph

18 mountain
    2 mutavault

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure we're not getting fetches before M16. Really doubt we're getting fetches+shocks standard, and I do remember seeing stuff that makes them really unlikely in Sarkhan-land

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    We're definitely not getting fetches in m15, but it's possibly for huey. Sunday will tell us if it makes sense flavor wise.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I dunno how much can be read into such things (probably not much, especially in bottom-up sets) but the plane being a land of constantly battling warlords, and--I'd assume--constantly shifting territory makes sense flavor-wise for fetches to me

lands that sacrifice also kind of tie into the extinction of a plane's characteristics AKA dem dragons

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    On Sunday we'll find out that huey will be set on Fidtopia, the plane of dogs.

It'll have the wrong kind of fetches

• Options
    Gumpy wrote: »
    On Sunday we'll find out that huey will be set on Fidtopia, the plane of dogs.

It'll have the wrong kind of fetches

my dream set

• Options
    Huey clearly takes place on the same plane as Mean Girls

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Get that man a trophy.

• Options

Except they actually did become a thing.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

Except they actually did become a thing.

in huey?

kal are... are you scrying irl

kal scrying is dangerous

f2ojmwh3geue.png
This discussion has been closed.