As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft; Omelette du Nerub

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Everybody was all

Man, silence is gonna be so good when Naxx drops

Fucking nobody has silences in their decks.

What is this madness.

I'm running mass dispel and it's still very situational. Generally the best thing it's for is clearing away taunt to go for lethal or to clear out hunter/zoolock buff parades. I still like it more than silence (as in the 0-cost card), though.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Everybody was all

Man, silence is gonna be so good when Naxx drops

Fucking nobody has silences in their decks.

What is this madness.

Let me put like 6 keepers of the grove in my deck and you will see what's up

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    My Druid deck needs keepers so bad.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    earth shock is the light

shame about all the hunters though

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    So I just played a dude that dropped literally nothing at all for 4 turns, hit me with a mass silence, dropped one totally forgettable minion, and I killed him turn five.

Dude played 2 cards all game.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    Bad draw. I've had that before. And my deck was probably bad too.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    earth shock is the light

shame about all the hunters though

yeah I was running earth shock and hex before naxx anyway

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2014
    The problem is that there's way too much deathrattle shit and a lot of silence cards aren't good enough to warrant a spot in your deck. There are exceptions are Keeper since he's so versatile.

If Priest's Silence was a cantrip ho ho ho it'd be a 2x in every deck.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The problem is that there's way too much deathrattle shit and a lot of silence cards aren't good enough to warrant a spot in your deck. There are exceptions are Keeper since he's so versatile.

It'd certainly be better than pw:s. The more I play the more I realize shield is actually an awful, awful card. The health buff is usually inconsequential (or at best redundant since you have dark cultists and possibly temple enforcers), and the last thing you want to do as a priest is thin your deck (unless you're doing something significant while doing it, like with mass dispel or this theoretical new silence).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I decide to play arena for the first time in forever, I get 3 webspinners and freezing traps. lol

It'd certainly be better than pw:s. The more I play the more I realize shield is actually an awful, awful card. The health buff is usually inconsequential (or at best redundant since you have dark cultists and possibly temple enforcers), and the last thing you want to do as a priest is thin your deck (unless you're doing something significant while doing it, like with mass dispel or this theoretical new silence).
    Shield is one of Priest's best cards...

• Options
    PW:S allows minions to sometimes survive a trade or spell while also thinning the deck. Like, it's almost always better than Flare.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    PW:S allows minions to sometimes survive a trade or spell while also thinning the deck. Like, it's almost always better than Flare.

they're completely different cards that are both way too good for their cost

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I decide to play arena for the first time in forever, I get 3 webspinners and freezing traps. lol
    Oh right, I don't play Arena because of the FUCKING MAGES

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    if you think any class doesn't want to thin their deck, i think your deck is way too vague

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Oh right, I don't play Arena because of the FUCKING MAGES

My arena run I just did had 3 losses, each of them featuring 2 Flamestrikes
    All I ever get is Pyroblasts

mkc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Shield is one of Priest's best cards...

Everyone says this, but I really disagree. You have other cards that do what shield does and put a body on the field (peacekeeper is better than humility), and that's a deck slot that could be used on something that more significantly effects the board state.

Most minions that are put in a priest deck have higher base health anyway, and don't need the buff to make favorable trades.
    if you think any class doesn't want to thin their deck, i think your deck is way too vague

Why thin my deck when I can just have more bulky midrange creatures to grind my opponent down? Midrange control on priest is about taking and keeping the board in the long game, and being able to have more threats to drop down after removal has been burned. I really don't think cycling cards with negligible effects fit into that strategy well. It could help me draw into my threats, or I can just have more threats that I draw into anyway because I don't have a filler card. It's fine in something like hunter or rogue when you need to fish for combos, but that's not how I play priest, and it's done me pretty well so far.

The best thing shield has going for it is it's a good pyromancer activator, but I'm also not a very big fan a pyromancer, so that goes hand in hand.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I was so ready to mention Pyromancer but then I got to your last paragraph and now I feel you just have Bad Opinions(TM). Priest has a lot of combos, imo (besides Pyro there's also basically anything with Circle and then minor stuff like Sylvanas+Death)

For real though: I like it when people try decks removed from conventional wisdom because sometimes it leads to greatness.

Grobian on
  • Options
    Grobian wrote: »
    I was so ready to mention Pyromancer but then I got to your last paragraph and now I feel you just have Bad Opinions(TM). Priest has a lot of combos, imo (besides Pyro there's also basically anything with Circle and then minor stuff like Sylvanas+Death)

For real though: I like it when people try decks removed from conventional wisdom because sometimes it leads to greatness.

The thing with Pyromancer is you already have the most and best board clear in the game short of Mage between holy nova and auchenai+circle; if you have to clear the board that much in a typical game, you're probably doing something wrong (it's better to have minions on the board to clear with and then use the circle to heal them up and hopefully draw off a cleric), imo. There is something to be said about being able to draw into auchenai+circle reliably, but I've actually been using that combo less and less as I've gone up in ranks and now mostly use auchenai for post-turn-6 pings and use circles for actually healing (either a mass board or blademasters).

Also, I totally spaced when rebuilding my priest deck and forgot to include both Cairne and Sylvanas, and it's actually been working better without them. Should the meta shift to a slower pace (especially if druids become the main deck) then Sylvanas would certainly get back in, but at the moment with all the hunters about she's kind of bad.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Alright, I am seeing pyromancer doing massive work in the collegiate tourney on twitch's channel, but I'll just be honest: I'm nowhere near good enough to be able to think through those crazy plays with it, and I'd feel really uncomfortable putting a lot of cards like shield and smite in there pretty much just to be pyromancer activators.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Pyromancer makes it into almost all of my Druid decks. At worst he's a 3/1 with 1 spell power and at best he can combo I clear the board in the early game where Druid may be lacking.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    flare is fucking bullshit broken

say you flare a counterspell which is the worst case scenario

you STILL got a 1 for 1

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

you STILL got a 1 for 1

2 for 1, you also get to draw a card

oh, and wipe any stealth

for 1 mana

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Unless you're playing against 2/3 of the classes.

Then you're paying 1 mana to have a 29 card deck

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »

at best it's amazing, at worst it's a minor inconvenience. Hell, there are entire decks built around making your deck smaller so that you draw into your key cards faster.

and classes are not represented equally, especially in the current meta

• Options

you are paying 1 mana to draw a card which is still technically under value compared to other cards that give you draw

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular

Thinning your deck is huge though. Between Flare and Tracking, Hunters can play with a much smaller deck, pulling only what they need. It's hugely efficient and is a big part of what makes them so strong. The fact Buzzard + UtH potentially lets them draw a ton too is just extra levels of stupid on top to be honest.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Why do people say hunter is good against priest? I beat hunters more than half the time as priest and lose to priest every time as hunter.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »

you STILL got a 1 for 1

2 for 1, you also get to draw a card

oh, and wipe any stealth

for 1 mana

counterspell blocks flare from drawing a card or destroying any other secrets (or removing stealth)

Beasteh on
  • Options
    now, more than ever, this describes the current meta perfectly

i-KjPfTcZ-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/03/hearthstone-hacked-by-googles-anti-hacking-chief-but-he-wont-release-it/
    He originally intended to release the predictive software to the public, but changed his mind after talking to Blizzard following the Defcon presentation. He said the company is "very enthusiastic and supportive" of his research, but are concerned that the advantage it offers to players using it could "break the game balance."

about that

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Beasts are pretty cool, to be fair

• Options
    So he made software that can tell which netdeck an opponent is using?

• Options
    Yeah, I read some of his articles but didn't watch the video and to me it's a pretty cool application of machine learning (I had a couple courses at uni in that) but to call it game breaking or a hack goes to far.

The thing with the not random enough deck shuffling was definitely way worse.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I just fatigued a priest from 30 to dead in one turn because he had a acolyte of pain and a cleric in play and didn't recognize how much a priest can hurt and heal stuff in the space of one turn.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    greetings hearthstone thread, it has been a while

registrations are open for this week's bo5 turrrny

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cHjzKBuaBLZflISRYOh5gtsCqVn2iCFYG7h-msNO2Dc/edit#gid=0

join or ride (out of here on the horse you came in on)

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    2014-8-14Mage8-3XYZ.jpg

If you couldn't tell from the wisps and windfury harpy, this was a (surprisingly successful) themed arena draft. Anyone wanna guess what the theme was?

Also, I'm open to suggestions to new draft themes. If you have a great dumb idea, lemme know!

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    SkyEye wrote: »
    If you couldn't tell from the wisps and windfury harpy, this was a (surprisingly successful) themed arena draft. Anyone wanna guess what the theme was?

The letters w and v?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Given the low curve and number of bad minions, I'm going to guess worst pick instead of best. 8 wins with worst pick though seems pretty unlikely.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Probably picking in reverse alphabetical order. That you still got a fireball out of that is pretty lucky.

• Options
    Please don't fatshame my decks.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.