As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE Online] Multiplayer Treachery Engine - Citadel Patch (April 2016)

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    To give a visual to the stagnation of null, and the effect of both Phoebe jump changes and Aegis sov:
    1 year before Aegis sov (Coalition Map)
    Today (Coalition Map)

The "single ship captures sov" thing only applies if the space is undefended, and is made a lot more difficult if the space is actually used daily. Mining and ratting in a system raise the ADM, which requires attackers to spend more time capturing that system. Here is an article with crunchy details. Deklien/Branch/Tenal were all flipped so quickly because they were not defended and only a handful of systems had high ADMs.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Although I'll agree that it's easy to chase off "a single ship capturing sov" in well populated areas, but a single ship can indeed capture any sov null system.

The issue is that even though we actively lived in a lot of our space, having that much space to defend simultaneously involves chasing 30-40 individual ships around while trying to avoid hostile fleets. Additionally, we had set the tz assuming CO2 would be around to help, and suddenly our forces diminished by an equal amount to our enemies increasing.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    What were the phoebe jump changes?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I think making it harder to hold large territory is probably better for the long term health of the game.

But I can also see how those changes would be a major bummer for those who already held a large amount of territory.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    V1m wrote: »

The short version is there are now two timers.

The first timer is a timer that prevents you from jumping immediately after a jump. The length of this downtime is dependent on the second timer.

The second timer is jump fatigue. After jumping, you receive an amount of jump fatigue. If you jump while yo do not have a jump prevention timer, but while possessing jump fatigue, the length of the jump prevention timer from the second jump is higher than the that of the first jump (assuming you jump immediately after you are able to). In addition, the jump fatigue timer also increases.

"Jumping" includes jump bridges and titan bridges. Industrial ships, blops and, most importantly, jump freighters get hit by jump fatigue less.

So, either you jump two-three times in rapid succession and then not jump again for a day, or you jump, wait 50 minutes, jump, and repeat until you reach your destination.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Baidol wrote: »

The short version is there are now two timers.

The first timer is a timer that prevents you from jumping immediately after a jump. The length of this downtime is dependent on the second timer.

The second timer is jump fatigue. After jumping, you receive an amount of jump fatigue. If you jump while yo do not have a jump prevention timer, but while possessing jump fatigue, the length of the jump prevention timer from the second jump is higher than the that of the first jump (assuming you jump immediately after you are able to). In addition, the jump fatigue timer also increases.

"Jumping" includes jump bridges and titan bridges. Industrial ships, blops and, most importantly, jump freighters get hit by jump fatigue less.

So, either you jump two-three times in rapid succession and then not jump again for a day, or you jump, wait 50 minutes, jump, and repeat until you reach your destination.

Also, it severely reduced the distance that could be covered in an individual jump.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    RIP 14 LY Carrier jumps.

Now just 5 LY max.

Durinia on
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    I used to be a Merch member before I took a career to the knee and stopped playing for 7 years. I helped found the Merch and remember the drama of the Merch Industrial split. Proof: uh, a slightly older EVE thread. I'm interested in coming back if you're willing to teach me what's changed in the last 7 years. That said, I have assets spread...everywhere...so if there's a Merch channel or someone who can brief me on where I should consolidate my stuff before joining that would be lovely. Evidence:

zrb4083olilx.png

3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    Hahahahaha
    Hambone wrote:
    Any word yet on whether or not skill queueing will be in an update?
    Weaver wrote:
    AFAIK that will never be implemented as it would allow people to basically farm characters to sell for isk or dollars.

As for what's changed, uh, everything. Send in your app, get on jabber once you're accepted, and we'll start bringing you up to speed. We're based in Saranen right now. If you plan to ship stuff to home, get everything to Jita. Do this before accepting the corp, or wardecs will murder you.

• Options
    Perhaps it'd be easier to list the things that haven't changed.

POS's are still shit.
    The Hurricane and the Machariel are still sexy looking ships.
    PG/CPU and High/Medium/Low slots are still the fitting paradigm.
    CVA lives in Providence, and xXDeathXx lives in the drone regions.
    Chribba is still the most trusted name in New Eden.

Just about everything else has changed.

• Options
    Lochiel wrote: »
    Perhaps it'd be easier to list the things that haven't changed.

POS's are still shit.
    The Hurricane and the Machariel are still sexy looking ships.
    PG/CPU and High/Medium/Low slots are still the fitting paradigm.
    CVA lives in Providence, and xXDeathXx lives in the drone regions.
    Chribba is still the most trusted name in New Eden.

Just about everything else has changed.

I just spent the last 5 minutes trying to think of a counter-example and I can't come up with anything more general than "The Vindicator is still an awesome DPS-waggon".

It's still important to manage your cap, I guess. There's that to cling to.

• Options
    Sov map for the last 3 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGtpsqZ7vBQ&feature=youtu.be

Man I had no idea how locked down the map looked at one point. I have to say with the new sov having a ton of smaller, fragmented groups seems a lot more dynamic and interesting.

• Options
    Astale wrote: »
    I get the impression that of the billion and one spreadsheet pilots that have been asking for chaos because "it'll mean good fights", only a handful actually meant it. And that handful is having fun!

The rest are turning into the saltiest of space sailors.

EVE has essentially been a 13-year investigation into how many times you can get people to be unaware that what they said they wanted is the opposite of what they needed.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    I used to be a Merch member before I took a career to the knee and stopped playing for 7 years. I helped found the Merch and remember the drama of the Merch Industrial split. Proof: uh, a slightly older EVE thread. I'm interested in coming back if you're willing to teach me what's changed in the last 7 years. That said, I have assets spread...everywhere...so if there's a Merch channel or someone who can brief me on where I should consolidate my stuff before joining that would be lovely. Evidence:

zrb4083olilx.png

Welcome back friend. I'll vouch him in.
    evebanner2.jpg <--- Thats Ignasi on the end.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options

[img][/img]

[img][/img] <--- Thats Ignasi on the end.

Suddenly I am worried.

• Options
    grumthorngrumthorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    32c8836471.jpg

Merchi clearly a dead corp that doesn't undock in a dead alliance. Praise Boat.

In personal news the release of citadels has been pretty amusing for me. I've killed 2 bpos, looted 2 more and also looted 2 built astrahaus.

Personal favourite kill of the week: https://zkillboard.com/kill/53721914/

This guy did probably every single wrong thing you could do, for which we thank him. For those wondering how to move such things safely, the answer is a deep space transport.

grumthorn on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    grumthorn wrote: »
    32c8836471.jpg

Merchi clearly a dead corp that doesn't undock in a dead alliance. Praise Boat.

In personal news the release of citadels has been pretty amusing for me. I've killed 2 bpos, looted 2 more and also looted 2 built astrahaus.

Personal favourite kill of the week: https://zkillboard.com/kill/5372191

This guy did probably every single wrong thing you could do, for which we thank him. For those wondering how to move such things safely, the answer is a deep space transport.

That killboard is just for a stock Ibis with its 1 Tritanium and Civilian gear.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    grumthorngrumthorn Registered User regular
    for some reason the autoformatting of the board changed the number at the end

https://zkillboard.com/kill/53721914/

should be the right one

apologies for that, I've edited the original

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Jesus christ guys you have been doing some *work*

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    grumthorn wrote: »
    for some reason the autoformatting of the board changed the number at the end

https://zkillboard.com/kill/53721914/

should be the right one

apologies for that, I've edited the original

Sheesh, I'm terrible at this game, but even I know "blueprints, skill books, data cores, etc..." can be very ISK/m^3 dense. But I guess it's easy to feel safe in high-sec.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I just...

There's no words to how dumb that pilot was.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    miniluv pops a few people like that on a daily/weekly basis, its sort of ridiculous

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    So, looks like, over the last 7 days, GSF has gained 18 systems.

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    And then they will be lost, and then retaken, and then lost. This is super fun CCP thanks Obama!

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    Stop struggling, it'll all be over soon. Nah, in all seriousness, I expect Fade & Pure Blind to be a thunderdome for quite a while.

I think alliances and coalitions are still realizing how densely they need to pack space in order to hold it. Judging from the ADMS, Branch and Deklien could cram another 7-8 alliances in, easily.

• Options
    Drain wrote: »
    And then they will be lost, and then retaken, and then lost. This is super fun CCP thanks Obama!

Certainly sounds more fun to me than half the map being blue.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Only if your gameplay ideals align with whack-a-mole.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Only if your gameplay ideals align with whack-a-mole.

Whack-a-mole is a fun game, yes.

• Options
    Stop struggling, it'll all be over soon. Nah, in all seriousness, I expect Fade & Pure Blind to be a thunderdome for quite a while.

I think alliances and coalitions are still realizing how densely they need to pack space in order to hold it. Judging from the ADMS, Branch and Deklien could cram another 7-8 alliances in, easily.

The majority of alliances in sov 0.0 could tbh function perfectly well with a single constellation of intensively developed and exploited space. There are maybe a dozen who could claim to really use more.

And I for one would be absolutely delighted to see ~half the systems in 0.0 unclaimed at any one time.

Remember the days when you as a new player could set out in a ship from empire and spend a few hours exploring deserted, unclaimed systems in null? Maybe strike it big (in newb terms)? Maybe come across another player? Maybe make friends or maybe fight him, without needing to worry about "response fleets" ?

Well actually I don't because I went to 0.0 in late 2006, and everything was pretty much claimed then, but I'd sure like to experience that and I think it would be super good for EVE if empire residents could have a chance to as well.

• Options

The majority of alliances in sov 0.0 could tbh function perfectly well with a single constellation of intensively developed and exploited space. There are maybe a dozen who could claim to really use more.

And I for one would be absolutely delighted to see ~half the systems in 0.0 unclaimed at any one time.

Remember the days when you as a new player could set out in a ship from empire and spend a few hours exploring deserted, unclaimed systems in null? Maybe strike it big (in newb terms)? Maybe come across another player? Maybe make friends or maybe fight him, without needing to worry about "response fleets" ?

Well actually I don't because I went to 0.0 in late 2006, and everything was pretty much claimed then, but I'd sure like to experience that and I think it would be super good for EVE if empire residents could have a chance to as well.

I am skeptical about the average hisec dweller wishing to venture out into nullsec, but dream big.

• Options
    TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular

zrb4083olilx.png

evebanner2.jpg <--- Thats Ignasi on the end.

accepted app

Eve Online: Zareph
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I am skeptical about the average hisec dweller wishing to venture out into nullsec, but dream big.

I do that sometimes.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »

I do that sometimes.

I was under the assumption that V1M was talking about long-term living. If we're talking daytrips, all you need to do to find empty space is head over to Russian rental regions.

• Options
    SkypointSkypoint Registered User regular
    The new carriers are fun as hell and one can do a pretty good job at defanging an unprepared supercarrier. Going to be doing my first post-citadel carrier fleet fight tomorrow, we've been building up stocks of the T1 and T2 capital ship mods.

Nano-carriers that can just burn away from any dreads that try to drop should be loltastic.

• Options

Back in 2010 when I lead my scrub alliance out of a wormhole and into nullsec, we settled in Immensia in a system that wasn't claimed. Just showed up and moved in. Then INIT showed up demanding isk and telling us to play nice with a German alliance next door because we weren't a threat, so why not make the most out our situation. And we complied, because we weren't stupid and didn't have a large capital fleet.

Honestly, that's what I'm hoping will happen with Aegis Sov, in the long run. Either because of low ADMs or just plain unclaimed systems, new groups can move out into null and their neighbors won't just swat them away over the weekend.

I'm curious; where do you think all the new colors of the influence map are coming from?

• Options

Back in 2010 when I lead my scrub alliance out of a wormhole and into nullsec, we settled in Immensia in a system that wasn't claimed. Just showed up and moved in. Then INIT showed up demanding isk and telling us to play nice with a German alliance next door because we weren't a threat, so why not make the most out our situation. And we complied, because we weren't stupid and didn't have a large capital fleet.

Honestly, that's what I'm hoping will happen with Aegis Sov, in the long run. Either because of low ADMs or just plain unclaimed systems, new groups can move out into null and their neighbors won't just swat them away over the weekend.

I'm curious; where do you think all the new colors of the influence map are coming from?

Pandemic Horde.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Game health update.

Note that the y axis starts at 17,000. Things are looking up.

eve-players-fouryear-compro.png

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    So what is going to happen with POSs? I want to set one up, but I've heard rumblings they're getting a massive update soon and don't want to waste my time (or money).

• Options
    At some point, POS (and nullsec stations) will be replaced with other structures that CCP is developing. We do not know when they will be released or what they will do. I wouldn't expect them to show up for at least another year, but you never know with CCP. POS still do what they do, so if they're your best option for your plans, put one up. I would guess that CCP will have a buyback program or some other way to compensate for removed POS when the time comes, but, again, there are no concrete plans.