As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] SMTxFE returns(without much SMT).

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Again, god...why have this complicated elemental system that affects everything...and then have a boss with no weaknesses. Having almost no attacks of their strong element is extra dumb on top of that.

It's to prevent you from steam-rolling later bosses by abusing weaknesses. You think that's bad, play Nocturne and have enemies who can make it so they can have up to four actions per turn, and even higher if they spam the move that raises the amount of actions they can have. Persona's extra attacks through weakness exposure makes it easy in comparison to THAT.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    And also, if the attack buff isn't doing enough, you couple it with the defense debuff. Everyone's happy now!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I didn't say it was hard. Just dumb and kinda boring.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Again, god...why have this complicated elemental system that affects everything...and then have a boss with no weaknesses. Having almost no attacks of their strong element is extra dumb on top of that.

It's to prevent you from steam-rolling later bosses by abusing weaknesses. You think that's bad, play Nocturne and have enemies who can make it so they can have up to four actions per turn, and even higher if they spam the move that raises the amount of actions they can have. Persona's extra attacks through weakness exposure makes it easy in comparison to THAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjVvnO5lgM

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    That vid is always a classic and hilarious. Even more so it happened to me when I played Nocturne for the first time...

That reminds me, does anybody know if the PSN Nocturne will take a PS2 Nocturne save? If possible I'd like to import all my perfect fusions and not have to spend endless hours of x-o-x-o-x-o-x-o doing it all over again...

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    You honestly may be under leveled. Level plays a huge difference in damage done.

Also unrelated but lots of physicals and crappy lightning is pretty accurate for Kanji. :P

Remind me, is level an actual damage-stat in Persona, too?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    PLA wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    You honestly may be under leveled. Level plays a huge difference in damage done.

Also unrelated but lots of physicals and crappy lightning is pretty accurate for Kanji. :P

Remind me, is level an actual damage-stat in Persona, too?

Here's the Persona 4 damage calculation:

DMG = 5 x sqrt(ST/EN x ATK) x MOD x HITS X RND

DMG = Damage
    ST = Character's Strength stat
    EN = Enemy's Endurance stat
    ATK = Atk value of equipped weapon OR Pwr value of used skill
    MOD = Modifier based on the difference between character level and enemy level
    HITS= Number of hits (for physical skills)
    RND = Randomness factor (may be roughly between 0.95 and 1.05)

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Rend.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    *Sigh* Stupid Vita. I wanna play P4G, but I'm not willing to spend 220 bucks on just that.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    *Sigh* Stupid Vita. I wanna play P4G, but I'm not willing to spend 220 bucks on just that.

Fortunately there are a whole lot of really good games other than P4G too!

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I dont know if I can finish P3P.

It's really great, I love almost everything about it.

But I'm on the final part of the Moon S.Link, the last little sit down before it says "You've maxed out!", and there's no dialogue option for "Go fuck yourself you horrible piece of shit.", so I may just have to leave it on this screen forever.

Seriously, what the fuck.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I dont know if I can finish P3P.

It's really great, I love almost everything about it.

But I'm on the final part of the Moon S.Link, the last little sit down before it says "You've maxed out!", and there's no dialogue option for "Go fuck yourself you horrible piece of shit.", so I may just have to leave it on this screen forever.

Seriously, what the fuck.

I didn't get very far into P3. Please, tell me more

• Options
    Grit your teeth and skip past it. The S.Links were really primitive and ill-thought-out in canon P3.

Although what made me more frustrated was that there was no option to befriend the women instead of boning them all.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    They are obviously playing the male protagonist. The moon social link is infamous for being REALLY bad. The character you have to befriend for it is kinda the worst person, and really doesn't even learn anything.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Grit your teeth and skip past it. The S.Links were really primitive and ill-thought-out in canon P3.

Although what made me more frustrated was that there was no option to befriend the women instead of boning them all.

Ah yes, the paradoxical nature of the romance options in P3 and 4.

3 forces you to cheat, and punishes you for it. In 4, it's completely voluntary, yet the (vanilla) game doesn't chastise you for it.

• Options
    When did P3 ever punish you for being a man-whore? I don't recall anything of the sort ever happening.

• Options
    yeah, i was being sarcastic. I obviously plowed through it because the twists in the plot are pretty great and I can't wait to see what happens once my Vita charges back up.

But that Moon link...holy shit. It's almost like, it has to be a joke right? That dude just gets worse, and worse, then a whole OTHER plot with him comes up, and it makes him WORSE, and then is never again addressed, and in the final link it gets even WORSE.

Spoilers for those who dont care:
    He's a very fat kid, who considers himself the gourmet king. You meet up with him and go out to eat. He's an ass all the time about how much he eats and yells at you for being in shape.

Then, around halfway, you find out he's running some kind of cult/scam thing, that has nothing to do with eating, where he is offering to "save peoples souls" for money, and he rips off all these people. It is so out of nowhere. So he's turns out to be this crazy cult kid, who's taking peoples money and preaching about this insane stuff, and he almost gets the shit kicked out of him by one kid's father, when the father finds out that he has taken hundreds of dollars from his son.

Your only dialogue options at this point are to tell him he's scamming people, which pisses him off and 'reverses' the social link, saying you cant progress until you make amends. Then - youre forced to defend him from people kicking the shit out of him for scamming them, and he forgives you (!?!)

Then in link 10 you find out he was a TWIN, and his twin brother stayed in shape, and he got fat, so he hated his brother...and then his brother got food poisoning and died.

AND HE SAYS THIS MADE HIM HAPPY.

AND YOU DONT HAVE THE OPTION TO TELL HIM TO GO FUCK HIMSELF.

...and you say cool, be your own guy. And hes like ok I'll stay super fat and when I see my dead twin in heaven he'll be like, way to go!

I mean seriously, I LOVED it for the pure insanity of it all - but wooooooooooooooah they got better with S.Links in P4.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    When I was playing P3P I managed to never figure out how to start Moon or Temperance, and I barely did any Star. Doesn't sound like I missed a whole lot.

(This is not a knock specifically on P3, a couple of the ancillary S.Links in P4 were pretty bleh too.)

Edit: male route in P3P, to clarify.

bss on
    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    yeah i havent figured out how to start star yet and I'm in December, so I HAVE to be coming up on the end.

I've loved it, but I started playing it seriously a year ago just so I could do the P3 side of Persona Arena, and have just been chipping away at it since. I've been playing more arena lately, so I'm just plowing through now doing as much as I can.

It really is great though. I love it for what it is and I'm glad someday I'll be able to go through again and get all the links. It's not as good as 4, but it's really great in its own right.

• Options
    Devil is the worst S.Link in 4.

It starts off so promising and then... the main thrust of the link is dropped a third of the way in and it becomes something entirely different and cliche out of left field.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Devil is the worst S.Link in 4.

It starts off so promising and then... the main thrust of the link is dropped a third of the way in and it becomes something entirely different and cliche out of left field.

Devil is a letdown because it had promise. Temperance is just a snoozefest, and Sun is either interesting but with an insane person, or insufferable.

Speaking of Arena though, Atlus has started sending out notices that Ultimax is available for preorder for a Fall launch. We should maybe get a vanilla lobby together some time and play some waifu fights.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I liked the Devil s.link in P4. Yeah, it goes in a strange direction, but think about it; the first part of that s.link was in no way normal, and the later stuff really fills out the kinds of hang-ups a person might have to be in the emotional state where they'd behave the way they do in the early steps in the link.

People are messy. People have baggage, and it shapes their actions, and most importantly, a lot of the time there ain't shit you can do about it but simply be there for them if you care. And P4 Devil executed this perfectly.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I never got anything approaching decent at P4A, but sure, I'm down.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    yeah, i was being sarcastic. I obviously plowed through it because the twists in the plot are pretty great and I can't wait to see what happens once my Vita charges back up.

But that Moon link...holy shit. It's almost like, it has to be a joke right? That dude just gets worse, and worse, then a whole OTHER plot with him comes up, and it makes him WORSE, and then is never again addressed, and in the final link it gets even WORSE.

He's a very fat kid, who considers himself the gourmet king. You meet up with him and go out to eat. He's an ass all the time about how much he eats and yells at you for being in shape.

Then, around halfway, you find out he's running some kind of cult/scam thing, that has nothing to do with eating, where he is offering to "save peoples souls" for money, and he rips off all these people. It is so out of nowhere. So he's turns out to be this crazy cult kid, who's taking peoples money and preaching about this insane stuff, and he almost gets the shit kicked out of him by one kid's father, when the father finds out that he has taken hundreds of dollars from his son.

Your only dialogue options at this point are to tell him he's scamming people, which pisses him off and 'reverses' the social link, saying you cant progress until you make amends. Then - youre forced to defend him from people kicking the shit out of him for scamming them, and he forgives you (!?!)

Then in link 10 you find out he was a TWIN, and his twin brother stayed in shape, and he got fat, so he hated his brother...and then his brother got food poisoning and died.

...and you say cool, be your own guy. And hes like ok I'll stay super fat and when I see my dead twin in heaven he'll be like, way to go!

I mean seriously, I LOVED it for the pure insanity of it all - but wooooooooooooooah they got better with S.Links in P4.

I get through it by thinking that P3 is essentially a sociopath simulator. You're saying what needs be be said in order to make the other characters like you. There's never any mention of how you're meant to feel about any other characters; that doesn't matter. All of Igor's blather about connections and bonds in the heart is bullshit, because every relationship in the game is one-way. Other people will help you if you make them want to help you, and toying with their emotional states is apparently the way to do that when you're a broke orphan kid in high school.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

I get through it by thinking that P3 is essentially a sociopath simulator. You're saying what needs be be said in order to make the other characters like you. There's never any mention of how you're meant to feel about any other characters; that doesn't matter. All of Igor's blather about connections and bonds in the heart is bullshit, because every relationship in the game is one-way. Other people will help you if you make them want to help you, and toying with their emotional states is apparently the way to do that when you're a broke orphan kid in high school.
    You're a fragment of Death. That can represent both change and decay. SEES members usually wind up going with the former. Others not so much. But they all feed you in the end.

Though really, a lot is likely due to Social Links in general being so new that some weren't going to work out that well.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Devil is the nurse, right? I vote for Magician as the worst social link in P4.

Come at me bros...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Devil is the nurse, right? I vote for Magician as the worst social link in P4.

Come at me bros...

Brosuke is pretty good, though. You're at least working with genuine issues and his inferiority complex when compared to the protagonist. And it's not boring.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hmm, the only Social Link I remember actively disliking in P4G was the mom you meet babysitting, and the kid you tutor. Sun was the music club kid, right? I liked that one! :D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I just hate Yosuke a lot, which I think everyone here is aware of. I also hate the fact that we haven't gotten an SMT game since 2008. Getting kinda anxious.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just hate Yosuke a lot, which I think everyone here is aware of. I also hate the fact that we haven't gotten an SMT game since 2008. Getting kinda anxious.

Huh? What about IV?

• Options
    If I can't play it on my tv it doesn't exist to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Been playing P3P for the first time, as the female protagonist.

Her social links are way better than the male's ones.

I really liked the way Hermit worked out.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

You are missing a lot.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    cj iwakura wrote: »

You are missing a lot.

I actually found IV to be pretty lackluster. I'm going through Nocturne again and nothing in IV comes close to what you get in III.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    A duck! wrote: »

You are missing a lot.

I actually found IV to be pretty lackluster. I'm going through Nocturne again and nothing in IV comes close to what you get in III.

III did a lot of things differently. The magatama system is quite a different vehicle for skill gain. Plus the setting is very, very different. I liked SMTIV's fantasy post apocalypse cyberpunkish setting but it's not as distinct as III's. I still lean towards IV but that's largely due to quality of life improvements in fusion and skills.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

You are missing a lot.
    LoveIsUnity is dead to me.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Yosuke is like... 1/4th the bro or best friend or good person Junpei was, if you're being favorable.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

You are missing a lot.

Hard to blame any of its failings on the platform, though... well, aside from the loss of battle animation, which is just as likely a budget thing as it was a cartridge storage thing.