As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] SMTxFE returns(without much SMT).

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    I'd go with Yukiko and Rise as the canon date choices since the other 2 female main characters are obviously intended to hook up with your male allies.

Kanji and Naoto, yeah, but Chie and Yosuke? There's really nothing going on between them.

Chie and Yosuke are those two that bicker and fight in high school and seem to not like each other but then when you got back for your 10 year reunion they have like 11 babies.

aka Ron/Hermione syndrome.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'd go with Yukiko and Rise as the canon date choices since the other 2 female main characters are obviously intended to hook up with your male allies.

Kanji and Naoto, yeah, but Chie and Yosuke? There's really nothing going on between them.

Chie and Yosuke are those two that bicker and fight in high school and seem to not like each other but then when you got back for your 10 year reunion they have like 11 babies.

I'm not disagreeing with you because you're wrong; Ron and Hermione are a perfect example of this (based on what I've seen of the movies).

I disagree with calling it "Ron/Hermione syndrome", when the trope is way older than any of us.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular

I'm not disagreeing with you because you're wrong; Ron and Hermione are a perfect example of this (based on what I've seen of the movies).

I disagree with calling it "Ron/Hermione syndrome", when the trope is way older than any of us.

Oh definitely, but I figured Harry Potter was popular enough that everyone would recognize the trope there.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

But Yosuke's into dating robots.

As we learned in Futurama, there's no going back from that dark path.

Given how Aigis's desperate love for P3Protag was shoehorned into the plot, I'd say that the writers figured that the playerbase would come down favoring Yosuke's side of this one.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    what's this about yosuke dating robots

the hell happened in golden when i wasn't looking

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    what's this about yosuke dating robots

the hell happened in golden when i wasn't looking

It's Labrys and Arena.
    Though, to be clearer:
    Labrys starts out looking human because she wanted to be "normal," but the illusion falls away when her Shadow mocks her for trying to hide who she really is. Yosuke meets her when she looks human and thinks she's cute, and doesn't say anything about it either way when she turns back into a more obvious robot form. So presumably, he's still into her.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    huh
    i always assumed that if anyone was robot in disguise, it'd be naoto

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Yu and Ai are official

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    huh
    i always assumed that if anyone was robot in disguise, it'd be naoto
    Not much of a disguise, there.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Yu and Ai are official

Ai see what you did there.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Yu and Ai are official

Yu and Ai will meet again when we're least expecting it.

Somewhere in some far off place Ai will recognize his face

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I appreciate that Susano-o is a windgod in SMT. Not a reskin of Thor or Indra. Created by a nose, always tearing and throwing things; clearly lightningbolts.

• Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Yu and Ai are official

Yu and Ai will meet again when we're least expecting it.

Somewhere in some far off place Ai will recognize his face

Poor Ai. Yu was dating her for all of one date in my play through when Yukiko caught us at the mall and scares her off. Ain't nobody playin' with Amagi's man mmmhmm *snap* *snap*

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Like everyone else, I think I'm screwing up this fishing subplot. What am I supposed to do again?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    So Yu and Aigis have secret unlisted supers in ultimax that become available by filling certain conditions. http://shoryuken.com/2014/01/27/hidden-sp-skills-discovered-in-persona-4-the-ultimax-ultra-suplex-hold/

Yu gets a command rush super (you do a string of commands ending with cross slash & another possible hit that isn't in the video) that costs 150 meter.
    http://youtu.be/HCU8UfUgpes

Aigis gets a Furinkazan style overdrive mode where she gets an 8-way dash. She needs to be out of bullets, overheated, have her persona broken, and have 150 meter. Using it also refills her persona, bullet, & Orgia meters. In other words, its an "Oh shit" button for when you're sitting on meter and have no options.
    http://youtu.be/2Kt9WD_bG_M

People thought Kanji had one too, but it was just a glitch that got ironed out.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Aigis' still has an audio-glitch.

• Options
    In dungeons, a box of dialogue will pop up in the corner when you find the stairs or a chest or whatever. The music will fade out like there should be a voiced line, but nothing. Did these lines get cut in the dub or something?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Like everyone else, I think I'm screwing up this fishing subplot. What am I supposed to do again?

What is the specific problem you're having?

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Honestly, the only way to screw it is actually wasting precious time doing it.
    Not doing it is the right way

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Honestly, the only way to screw it is actually wasting precious time doing it.
    Not doing it is the right way

Huh? The only way to finish the Hermit S.Link is to fish.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I NEVER EVEN KNEW THAT

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I kept getting the bugs from the kid, which I knew you needed eventually to get the hook. I did not realize one of the shops changed at night, and that's where you need the bug. I can fish, now. Not sure I ever will except to accomplish that quest, though.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I kept getting the bugs from the kid, which I knew you needed eventually to get the hook. I did not realize one of the shops changed at night, and that's where you need the bug. I can fish, now. Not sure I ever will except to accomplish that quest, though.

Fishing is a useful thing to do! Save it for either:

-Days where there is literally nothing to do because it is raining and you don't have a Hermit quest to turn in (by the way, wait and turn in Hermit quests on rainy days with nothing else to do!)
    -Nights where there is nothing else to do

On your first playthrough you'll likely do it very infrequently because you have studying and jobs to do to raise your stats, but some of the fish you can catch restore all your HP or SP, which is very helpful when you're in the TV!

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I had forgotten that I didn't complete all the SLinks when I played through the PS2 release. It's nice seeing how some of the characters turn out. Ai's little arc was particularly good. I can see why some people like her now. I just got through Christmas and New Years in Golden. Rise has been really entertaining as Brotagonist GF. Also loving her added battle abilities.

Oh, and I nearly shit my pants the first time Twin Dragons kicked in after an all out. I didn't know those were added. Naoto and Kanji's is pretty great, too. I haven't seen Yosuke and Teddie's yet. Kanji's combat assist on his bike was a riot, too. Golden has really, really impressed me with all the little additions they've put in. I can't wait to find out how they improve on this with P5. I hope we get some more news soon. P4 has had one of the strongest casts of characters I can remember in a game. I'm having a hard time believing that they'll be able to top them.

• Options
    Well, I've suddenly hit the standard SMT bullshit level. Just jumped to it as soon as I walked onto this floor of the latest dungeon, everything had been pretty fine until now. I've killed the MC once by having an entire group reflect a group spell I was weak to onto me. Then a Shadow randomly didn't get hit by my sword on the dungeon screen, then chained hits on the MC's weakness to kill him off in the surprise round.

And then I just got killed by Mamudo spam. Twice.

I don't mind dying so much since continuing is fairly painless, but I've been stuck on this floor for quite a while now. There's no real way to escape the randomness except relying on pure luck. My best best is honestly to just run past/from everything to get to the boss, because there's no real way to level up or power up past this kind of stuff.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So, is everyone in persona 1 huge dicks for a reason? I've never met such an unlikable cast of characters before. Also, is this game really this easy?

• Options
    Kei and Mark are really the only dicks I can think of. Also, it really is that easy, yes.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Again, god...why have this complicated elemental system that affects everything...and then have a boss with no weaknesses. Having almost no attacks of their strong element is extra dumb on top of that.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Kei and Mark are really the only dicks I can think of. Also, it really is that easy, yes.

Well, excepting the SQQ.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Again, god...why have this complicated elemental system that affects everything...and then have a boss with no weaknesses. Having almost no attacks of their strong element is extra dumb on top of that.

Are you talking about P4G? You need to take a step back and calm down. The game is built around near non-stop experimentation with fusions. Even as early as the second or third boss you can already fuse personas that give you immunity and hit weaknesses.

Akilae on
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

Weaknesses on the boss would be too easy. The elemental stuff still comes into play with your own defense and avoiding their resistances and immunities though.

What do you mean by "Having almost no attacks of their strong element"?

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

That's why they also have a dependable and powerful buff/debuff system and physical attacks.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    A duck! wrote: »

That's why they also have a dependable and powerful buff/debuff system and physical attacks.
    Didn't Golden add in multi-target Debilitate/Heat riser? Shit's nuts.

EDIT: Looked it up. There's no multi debilitate, but Dragon Hustle is the full party heat riser. Another reason why Chie is the greatest :3

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    I usually rock the Chie, Yukiko, Naoto team of maximum pimpery.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »

Didn't Golden add in multi-target Debilitate/Heat riser? Shit's nuts.

EDIT: Looked it up. There's no multi debilitate, but Dragon Hustle is the full party heat riser. Another reason why Chie is the greatest :3
    ...Once I get back to P4G, I think...I might actually bench kanji now that I know this...

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Pretty much every team member in P4G can be amazing at endgame.

• Options
    Well, like Kanji's boss had one lightning attack, but a bunch of physical attacks and status ailments. I went in with two Personas that were immune to Lightning and had Garu, so they were basically useless. On top of that, his minions were fire/ice based, which is again not related to his element.

I actually did wind up using the attack lowering skill on him...but it barely made a difference in the damage he did. You also can't stack it, so it doesn't seem useful at all. I also tried the attack buff skill on me...which, again, barely raised the damage I did. I would have done more damage on those four turns (buff, attack x3 before it wears off) by just attacking the first turn, too.

I've seen a couple of resist element skills on demons, but no Null/Reflect (besides a few already on the demon naturally...which, again, did not come in useful on the boss when I tried to prep for it). Of course, my other party members have no such option, so Yosuke would still get knocked down whenever the boss did remember to use lightning.

Sure, I beat him. But it was just a slow, boring slog of me attacking and healing, once I realized there was no other gimmick or depth. I killed the minions, then hit him, he hit me, I healed, hit him some more, and eventually he lost. There were no surprises, nothing to think about for the last 50% of the fight once I realized this really was all there was to the fight.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    You honestly may be under leveled. Level plays a huge difference in damage done.

Also unrelated but lots of physicals and crappy lightning is pretty accurate for Kanji. :P

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    I'm actually pretty over leveled, from what I can tell. Everyone's about to hit 30, and I just went back in with Kanji earlier.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Then you may just be expecting something different than what the game is I guess. :lol: It's a lot more about having the right Persona than about elements. Part of having the right Persona is being able to exploit weaknesses, obviously, but it's more importantly about not having weaknesses to exploit yourself.

Also if you though Shadow Kanji took forever, I should just warn you, the next boss has a stupid amount of health. Like, that's the only thing that makes it even remotely challenging.

camo_sig2.png