As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] SMTxFE returns(without much SMT).

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    If I can't play it on my tv it doesn't exist to me.

You are missing a lot.

I know :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

You are missing a lot.

I know :(

More Agility.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I NEVER EVEN KNEW THAT

The only way you could not know that is if you've shut yourself in without speaking to anyone about the fishing subplot.

Like a Hermit.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

http://3dscapture.com/
    http://www.3dsvideocapture.com/

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    yeah, i was being sarcastic. I obviously plowed through it because the twists in the plot are pretty great and I can't wait to see what happens once my Vita charges back up.

But that Moon link...holy shit. It's almost like, it has to be a joke right? That dude just gets worse, and worse, then a whole OTHER plot with him comes up, and it makes him WORSE, and then is never again addressed, and in the final link it gets even WORSE.

Spoilers for those who dont care:
    He's a very fat kid, who considers himself the gourmet king. You meet up with him and go out to eat. He's an ass all the time about how much he eats and yells at you for being in shape.

Then, around halfway, you find out he's running some kind of cult/scam thing, that has nothing to do with eating, where he is offering to "save peoples souls" for money, and he rips off all these people. It is so out of nowhere. So he's turns out to be this crazy cult kid, who's taking peoples money and preaching about this insane stuff, and he almost gets the shit kicked out of him by one kid's father, when the father finds out that he has taken hundreds of dollars from his son.

Your only dialogue options at this point are to tell him he's scamming people, which pisses him off and 'reverses' the social link, saying you cant progress until you make amends. Then - youre forced to defend him from people kicking the shit out of him for scamming them, and he forgives you (!?!)

Then in link 10 you find out he was a TWIN, and his twin brother stayed in shape, and he got fat, so he hated his brother...and then his brother got food poisoning and died.

AND HE SAYS THIS MADE HIM HAPPY.

AND YOU DONT HAVE THE OPTION TO TELL HIM TO GO FUCK HIMSELF.

...and you say cool, be your own guy. And hes like ok I'll stay super fat and when I see my dead twin in heaven he'll be like, way to go!

I mean seriously, I LOVED it for the pure insanity of it all - but wooooooooooooooah they got better with S.Links in P4.

There's a reason people say that one comic is the good Social Link route.

Especially for Moon.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Ultimax pre-orders are going live for...$60? Oof. That's gonna be like $90+ in Australia when it hits in 2016.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

You are missing a lot.

I actually found IV to be pretty lackluster. I'm going through Nocturne again and nothing in IV comes close to what you get in III.

Hard to blame any of its failings on the platform, though... well, aside from the loss of battle animation, which is just as likely a budget thing as it was a cartridge storage thing.

I kind of agree. They worked wonders on the 3DS. I just pine for how that would have looked on a console. A project that ambitious deserved a console budget. Not like they had much else to offer there.

IV's biggest flaw is that it's, hilariously enough, too easy to break. MC is simply unstoppable by mid-endgame. SJ remains tough from start to finish.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    I've been considering getting a vita to play P4G, among other games I've been looking at for a while... *COUGH*GROWLANSERIVWAYFAREROFTIME*COUGH**WHEEZE*

But I'm not sure if I reaaaally need another hand held in my life... such a hassle.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The buff/debuff skills are about ~30% boost/lowering as far as I remember. You de
    A duck! wrote: »

You are missing a lot.

I actually found IV to be pretty lackluster. I'm going through Nocturne again and nothing in IV comes close to what you get in III.

Hard to blame any of its failings on the platform, though... well, aside from the loss of battle animation, which is just as likely a budget thing as it was a cartridge storage thing.

I kind of agree. They worked wonders on the 3DS. I just pine for how that would have looked on a console. A project that ambitious deserved a console budget. Not like they had much else to offer there.

IV's biggest flaw is that it's, hilariously enough, too easy to break. MC is simply unstoppable by mid-endgame. SJ remains tough from start to finish.

Eh, SJ kind of stops being hard after ourobouros enemywise apart from the final boss. The dungeons are still annoying though.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I've been considering getting a vita to play P4G, among other games I've been looking at for a while... *COUGH*GROWLANSERIVWAYFAREROFTIME*COUGH**WHEEZE*

But I'm not sure if I reaaaally need another hand held in my life... such a hassle.

Totally worth it.

Plus the Vita is the only way you can play games like Fez and Rogue Legacy on a handheld, which is totes awesome! Now I just need them to bring Super Meat Boy and House of the Dead Ninjas to Vita.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I just finished Golden this morning, so some thoughts.

Marie:

I thought they managed to fit her character into the story fairly well. I was expecting it to feel shoehorned, but it wasn't so bad. I wasn't particularly fond of her personality, though, and I wasn't aware that she was a romance option until I hit it. I read a little summary of the Hollow Forest before heading in, and I was expecting it to be harder than it was. Kaguya getting Spellmaster after the first fight kind of broke the gimmick.

Extra Scenes:

I was surprised by how well all the new stuff fit into the old schedule. Little of it felt artificially long or drawn out. I was a little concerned that the pacing would feel off, but I enjoyed all of it. Going with Rise, the new things you can do to spend time with her do a nice job of fleshing out the relationship her and Brotagonist have. I assume that most of her stuff doesn't change too much if you're not dating just due to her personality, but it felt a lot more substantial than before with just the max slink and Christmas. She was amusingly raunchy during New Years and the ski trip.

P5:

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they improve upon Golden with P5. The combat system is feeling really tight now. I love all the little extra attacks, and the new stuff that Rise gets for combat really makes her feel like the supportive role she was supposed to be. I liked the final persona forms and the little flavor moves everyone gets, too.

If they're going to continue with Social Links, I'd really like to see Atlus do more to integrate relationships into the overall story instead of being self contained. Let the group acknowledge your choices in that regard, and maybe have it make an impact in combat or moving around the game world or something. I'd also like to see them include developing relationships between the cast as well, and not do like P4 and reserve all the ladies (or equivalent) as potential matches for the protagonist. I know they're essentially personality freaks and can appeal to anyone since they're of the Fool arcana, but it would let them do some more storytelling if some people were off limits in that regard.

• Options
    Junpei is such a great character. Overall relatable and familiar. I've known people like him!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Totally worth it.

Plus the Vita is the only way you can play games like Fez and Rogue Legacy on a handheld, which is totes awesome! Now I just need them to bring Super Meat Boy and House of the Dead Ninjas to Vita.

Rogue Legacy is on Vita?

What?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    FzS7rJm.jpg

Going to try to get back to my ritual of Devil Summoner Sunday.

Where was I?

2sjyh0s.jpg

Ah yes, Kitayama University. What a nice professor.

How's your French?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ah, Ikutsuki. Oh, you.

• Options
    Four floors of pain, no save point, Shiki Ouji wins due to paralyzing the MC and Rei.

Hi Charon. Bye DS.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    I started replaying P3FES with a fresh save. Holy crap I've forgotten how slow gameplay-wise the beginning is. I mean yeah there is a ton of great story stuff going on but you don't get out of the starter fights until ~10-12 hours in (ie, everything until after Fuuka).

I've also forgotten how much I love P3's battle system. Tactics, multi-stage crits, multiple physical damage types, fusion spells... its as fun as I remember. I can't wait to see what P5's combat system will be like.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    According to The Drop, it looks like Digital Devil Saga might be coming out Tuesday as a PS2 Classic.
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
    PS2 Classic — Digital
    Unleash your inner demon. Enter the world of the Junkyard, where rival tribes fight an endless war vying for supremacy and the right to ascend to Nirvana. Changed forever by a mysterious light, Serph and his comrades now have the power to change into powerful demons…

I say -might- because The Drop is in no way an absolute indicator of what will happen, since things often fuck up between Sunday and Tuesday, but I imagine this one's pretty certain.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    I started replaying P3FES with a fresh save. Holy crap I've forgotten how slow gameplay-wise the beginning is. I mean yeah there is a ton of great story stuff going on but you don't get out of the starter fights until ~10-12 hours in (ie, everything until after Fuuka).

I've also forgotten how much I love P3's battle system. Tactics, multi-stage crits, multiple physical damage types, fusion spells... its as fun as I remember. I can't wait to see what P5's combat system will be like.

P3's battle system is very good. It's also balanced for AI control of party members, compared to P4 which was balanced for manual control.

And every single last person that bitches about P3 AI is too stupid or too lazy to use Tactics.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Even using tactics the ai is dumb as hell. Shit like spamming bufula instead of bufu to knock enemies down and such.

Manual is vastly superior.

• Options
    Well, true. If it isn't realtime and you would need more hands, or you want to automate grinding, it's hard to beat manual. You could, if it's chess.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Even using tactics the ai is dumb as hell. Shit like spamming bufula instead of bufu to knock enemies down and such.

Put them on Knock Down and they won't use their AoEs and switch to single target spells if an enemy in the group resists it.
    If nothing resists it, then the AoE is superior.

• Options
    I kind of want to stack Invigorates on Naoto because the shield is fun, but that makes deciding the remaining slots even tougher.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

The AI spams Bufula because they REPLACE BUFU WITH IT, since it's a waste of a slot to keep both.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    The AI really is pretty bad, though, which is why the game tends to become super easy once you fix yourself a nice, self-sufficient, four-element flattener

there's all sorts of fine control type stuff you can't rely on the AI for at all, especially something like using healing consumables

and i do so love it when the waste tons of MP casting pointless Breaks over and over

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There is a reason that:

"I'm dying Mitsuru." "MARIN FUCKING KARIN." " :< " "Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey..."

is a meme.

• Options
    There is a reason that:

"I'm dying Mitsuru." "MARIN FUCKING KARIN." " :< " "Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey..."

is a meme.

FULL ASSULT!

• Options
    Yup. You shouldn't be HAVING Mitsuru need to heal, because you have Yukari and the MC. Mitsuru should be 100% about MURDER.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    She's really good at it too! She even gets Mind Charge!

• Options
    edited May 2014
    heenato wrote: »

The AI spams Bufula because they REPLACE BUFU WITH IT, since it's a waste of a slot to keep both.

Early on in the game she had both. At least as far as I remember.

And yes aoe spells are superior, as said above. She still spammed the most expensive single target spell she had instead.

Basically, tactics make ai control bearable, but they are still terrible.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    She's really good at it too! She even gets Mind Charge!

I WILL EXECUTE ALL OF YOU!!

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Nah, maybe stacking Invigorate isn't worth the flexibility-cost.
    Naoto will never stop giving me headaches, though.

• Options
    DDS1(and maybe 2?) are hitting PSN tomorrow supposedly.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    There is a reason that:

is a meme.
    Its because people see she has a healing skill and then don't use tactics while expecting her to behave the same way Yukari does (at least up until the point you get Mitsuru, Yukari will heal you if you're ever near half HP. In my experience, Mitsuru is fine with letting you drop further than that unless shes set to support). I have yet to see her ignore me when I'm at =<25% hp and shes set to act freely, she'll even ignore a lone enemy she could finish off in one hit in order to heal me if I'm that low.

That said, I remember her wasting turns with ice break/mind charge in trash groups towards the end of the game the last time I played P3. That was her biggest problem, but by that point I was in the 'spam Die for me!/mamudoon' stage of the game.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I liked the way that P3's systems were crafted to reinforce the idea that you're only responsible for your own actions and that you need to figure out how to rely on your friends (even if they are kinda dumb, sup junpei) to survive.

But I fully understand why more people did not like it and why later games in the series backed far, far away from that decision.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Hilariously, Junpei is really one of the better characters with the AI. Having all physical and single-target fire spells makes his choices easy.

Also I still maintain that for all the time they spent harping on how "I" was the leader of SEES, it was ridiculous that I couldn't be like "Hey, Mitsuru, use Mabufula now" and she would do it.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

Early on in the game she had both. At least as far as I remember.

And yes aoe spells are superior, as said above. She still spammed the most expensive single target spell she had instead.

Basically, tactics make ai control bearable, but they are still terrible.
    AOE spells are terrible for getting all out attacks in P3 though, so the AI is programmed to not use them unless you don't care about knocking things down.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Oh man, I just got back to the fun part of P3. All auto -kaja skills, rakunda, getsu-ei, and a crapload of strength cards on Ares at just level 22. I walk into the Hierophant full moon boss fight and crit him for half his hp on the first turn. A few minutes later I'm hitting the Lovers boss for %20 every turn when Akihiko crits the boss and lets us AoA for the last 1/3rd of its HP.

This strat is so broken early game, I love it.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Akihiko does a great Batman impression.