Neco wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    They should bring Buffy back.

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

i say this as a fan of the show

it had its run

I actually didn't like much beyond the third season...

buffy is one of those shows where it spawned a spin off better than the original show

Angel was p great

buffy was a solid show but it was a product of the 90's through and through

i don't see how the concept would work today

Angel was WAY better, but it would be weird to bring that show back now. David Boreanaz aed too much.

Angel turned left into awesome town during it's run.
    Seriously, more shows need to have the good guys take over the evil empire and then keep running it.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i have a lot of reasons to not watch any of those shows besides their gushing, anglophilic, livejournal-icons-with-poorly-paint-shop-pro'd-because-they-couldn't-afford-photoshop-sparkly-hearts-making teen fanbase. mostly that i just don't really take on much new television these days, since there are already a bunch of current programs i follow. shit has to be super well liked but multiple people whose taste i typically enjoy. i also don't really look forward to the idea of marathons of seasons like i did when i was younger. my goddamned ass will hurt, being in this chair for that long.

but anyway the point is i did not expect to be RealNameI'mDisappointedInYou condemned because of some campy tv shows

forget it, jake

it's ponychat

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    this is a book @surrealitycheck‌ and i wrote

10291071_648125388575782_4079966481718848630_n.jpg

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    i hold a really unfair bias against shows like dr who, firefly and buffy that are beloved by 15 year old american girls who love the united kingdom and livejournal
    As a 15 year old American Girl,

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    i have a lot of reasons to not watch any of those shows besides their gushing, anglophilic, livejournal-icons-with-poorly-paint-shop-pro'd-because-they-couldn't-afford-photoshop-sparkly-hearts-making teen fanbase. mostly that i just don't really take on much new television these days, since there are already a bunch of current programs i follow. shit has to be super well liked but multiple people whose taste i typically enjoy. i also don't really look forward to the idea of marathons of seasons like i did when i was younger. my goddamned ass will hurt, being in this chair for that long.

but anyway the point is i did not expect to be RealNameI'mDisappointedInYou condemned because of some campy tv shows

Don't you know that the only person who is allowed to have opinions is Pony, chu?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

it had its run

buffy is one of those shows where it spawned a spin off better than the original show

Angel was p great

Angel was WAY better, but it would be weird to bring that show back now. David Boreanaz aed too much.

Buffy the next generation would be good

a show set in the same universe where Buffy has finally failed to avoid the gruesome death awaiting all slayers

we follow a new slayer and a new group of interesting demon supporting cast

Casual on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

it had its run

from what I've read about seasons 8-10, shit went off the rails

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Nope that won't end with a depressing twist ending at all. A retro indie game would never do that.

it is fanneh to me that this is the first thing u jump 2

Because media is never about overcoming the odds and adversity anymore. It's so god damned grim dark

There can't just be heros. People can't just defy fate and death and say "fuck you. Everybody lives."

It's always a god damned message about how the world is shit and life is shit and everything is shit.

I can get this.

There is a general disdain for happy endings these days. I think that our culture just isn't interested in them right now.

The trick is that it's hard to do people who are heroes the way that you want and yet still give them complex motivations. Or rather, it looks really hard to TV execs.

This is bullshit, things have happy endings all the god damn time, there's just a cynical confirmation bias going on with the part of both of you here where you're obfuscating the critical acclaim and popularity of a handful of things for the trend of the entirety of entertainment.

Give it a rest.

First off. Don't be a dick Pony. You've done the equivalent of going "nuh uh!" here. It's not helpful, and it's annoying. If you don't want to participate, fucking don't do so man. No one forces you to read and respond to every post about entertainment.

Second, I think that you're missing the point. It's that so many of the protagonists that we have in our media are broken and dark. Think of House, True Detective, Game of Thrones, Batman. Hell, the problem that most people had with Man of Steel was that it did that to Superman. It's like everything has to be gritty.

Third, it doesn't have to be ubiquitous to be a strong cultural idea. There are clearly exceptions, and those are great. Captain America is a good one. Good hero, and he isn't some sort of grim or dark (or grimdark) guy. He's clearly a good guy, who's motivations are towards the good. But I don't know if you can reasonably claim, in one god damn argumentless sentence, that heroes like him are the rule. It seems like our heroes are tragic figures or anti-heroes these days.

Now I don't think that's a bad thing, but I can understand someone who doesn't see the bright 4 color hero any more and laments that loss.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I wish the default volume of wine was 500ml. That would be much more civilised for when I can't manage a full one.

have u considered not being a basic bitch?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Also, no one before has ever accused me of being a cynic, so that's new.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

it had its run

Angel was p great

a show set in the same universe where Buffy has finally failed to avoid the gruesome death awaiting all slayers

we follow a new slayer and a new cast of interesting demon supporting cast

Only if they kept Anthony Steward Head.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Breaking Bad is pretty cool, I can see why it got many seasons.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2014
    frankie has been watching an old pbs show called Voyagers! on netflix

YNczy84.jpg

it was sort of an american take on the original premise of Doctor Who, which was "have adventures in history". from back when pbs took their education mandate really seriously.

the premise is that there's a dude named Phineas Bogg who is a handsome "Voyager" who is sent through time to fix things that didn't go the way they were supposed to. somehow he also picked up a young orphan named jeffrey to help him out. so they go through time and roguish phineas romances all the ladies (chastely, this was 1980s pbs) while earnest jeffrey tells him what kind of history was supposed to happen.

they never say where phineas is from - but he knows absolutely nothing about history or really anything. he doesn't know what a clutch on a car is. he doesn't know who mark twain is. he doesn't know what poker is. with his broad surfer-dude accent i guess he must be from some cali commune where he was kept in a shed for 20 years before being loosed on the world.

it's low-budget and silly, but they really manage to pack a lot of history into the episodes. one giving the history of flight had the pair bouncing between WWI and the wright brothers and meeting eddie richenbacher. another focusing on slavery had them bouncing between spartacus and harriet tubman and young mark twain.

anyways the actor who played phineas was goofing with a prop gun on-set and killed himself midway through the first season. still it's a fun bit of whimsical nostalgia if you guys have some cycles. probably still great for kids.

edit: oh something fun i foget: phineas' acting direction is clearly "be like han solo". that is exactly what he does. he even uses "kid" all the time.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

it had its run

Angel was p great

The way the show ended makes that impossible

Buffy was good for like 4 seasons, and then OK into bad before recovering for the very end

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Also, no one before has ever accused me of being a cynic, so that's new.

hes calling u a κύων shits gettin etymological up in here

u dog u

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ok time for that post-all-nighter 9 hour shift

i expect some fkn texts throughout the day, funny jokes, vines, pictures of dicks and labia, maybe flirting in arabic or french

don't leave me alone with this horrible lower middle class customer base on no sleep chat pls

• Options
    PantsB wrote: »

But only if it is good.

ehhhh

it had its run

Angel was p great

The way the show ended makes that impossible

Buffy was good for like 4 seasons, and then OK into bad before recovering for the very end

i never read the comic books that came after the show

i dont think most people who watched the show did

anything in there that makes a sequel series impossible can p easily be written off or ignored

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    o one last thing i'm sorry if my characterization of you was unfair, hakkes. i realize that your quinceanera was last year and now you're actually a 16 year old so and so :3

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Irond Will wrote: »

anyways the actor who played phineas was goofing with a prop gun on-set and killed himself midway through the first season. still it's a fun bit of whimsical nostalgia if you guys have some cycles. probably still great for kids.

WTFFFffff

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    i hold a really unfair bias against shows like dr who, firefly and buffy that are beloved by 15 year old american girls who love the united kingdom and livejournal

The Firefly fandom is insufferable. No, it's not coming back. No, it would not be any good even if it were brought back. Tough shit.

That doesn't mean the show itself is bad, though.

Yeah.

Like, Serenity was kiiiiinnnd of a bad movie. I wish it got a fair shot on TV at the time, but it's over now! Cherish what you got and move on.

In the Firefly reboot, there will be a solid episode where Inara is waiting for the results of her space herpes test

but then Jayne comes down with the space herpes and Mal gets mad that Inara and Jayne were having sexies

but then it turns out that everyone is positive for space herpes

i've got ideas, man

Send this woman to Hollywood!

• Options

YNczy84.jpg

it was sort of an american take on the original premise of Doctor Who, which was "have adventures in history". from back when pbs took their education mandate really seriously.

the premise is that there's a dude named Phineas Bogg who is a handsome "Voyager" who is sent through time to fix things that didn't go the way they were supposed to.

This could go gloriously dark!
    Phineas, we have to sink the Titanic!
    This meddling time traveler is prematurely introducing a cure for polio. We must stop him!

• Options
    o one last thing i'm sorry if my characterization of you was unfair, hakkes. i realize that your quinceanera was last year and now you're actually a 16 year old so and so :3

never leave Philly Chu is the only city i dare not go to kill you

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus

david sedaris has a really funny bit about one of those

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

WTFFFffff

Blanks can still kill. It's how Brandon Lee died.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

sorry I busted your balls so hard then, man. But the reason you gave initially is so common and sadly pedestrian and like

to be frank I respect you and I think better of you than having just that kind of shit as a reason

and hating on "tumblr girls" who coo about Dr. Who is such a fucking neckbeard thing to do I was like

chu no

chu pls

pls no

like seriously you might not have meant to do so but that post on its own you were a cheeto-sceneted huff away from sounding like a dude who angrily posts on really heinous subreddits

and i was aghast

• Options

WTFFFffff

it's p sad but you'd be surprised at the number of actors who have killed themselves with blanks

at point blank range they're actually really dangerous

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »

WTFFFffff

During a break between scenes on the set on October 12, 1984, Jon-Erik Hexum became bored with the filming delays. He began playing Russian roulette with what he believed was a harmless .44 Magnum prop gun and jokingly placed it to his temple and pulled the trigger. The shot sent the wadding from the blank cartridge into Hexum's skull, driving a bone fragment the size of a quarter into his brain and causing massive hemorrhaging. Hexum was rushed to the hospital, where he eventually was declared brain dead.

Yeah, don't mess with guns. Even prop ones.

• Options
    hold on u guys Im running for congress so I can introduce prop gun control legislation

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    It's hilarious how since I started thinking about making a time-travel game, I keep seeing two or three new things related to time travel every day.

I like how the brain notices things when you think about them.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Media now isn't dark TBH. Its just the stories you remember are the ones you watched as a kid.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Angel did get very good but my word that first series was so very awful.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    dr who? morel ike dr POO

lmao

• Options
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL GAMERS

You may now pre-purchase Transistor on Steam.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    hold on u guys Im running for congress so I can introduce prop gun control legislation

OUR YOUNG HEROES ARE BEING YANKED AWAY FROM US

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »

WTFFFffff

During a break between scenes on the set on October 12, 1984, Jon-Erik Hexum became bored with the filming delays. He began playing Russian roulette with what he believed was a harmless .44 Magnum prop gun and jokingly placed it to his temple and pulled the trigger. The shot sent the wadding from the blank cartridge into Hexum's skull, driving a bone fragment the size of a quarter into his brain and causing massive hemorrhaging. Hexum was rushed to the hospital, where he eventually was declared brain dead.

:(

yeah there's still a shit ton of force coming out of the barrel even if the bullet has no slug

you'd think that would be the very first thing the firearms guy on set would tell an actor

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

WTFFFffff

Brandon Lee actually got killed with a squib load and a blank. Instead of using dummy rounds the crew made their own. But they left the primer in the cartridge. That pushed the bullet into the barrel. No one noticed then a blank was fired with a bullet in the barrel. It lost a fair amount of energy but at a few feet it was more then enough to kill.

• Options

ban prop guns and also male impotence

dual purpose bill with one title "no more shooting blanks"

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

WTFFFffff

I didn't pick up a gun until I was an adult. I was in my early 20s and my friends were going to go shooting and I had never been.

The very first thing that I was told was under no circumstances to point a gun at someone. Ever. I picked up an unloaded firearm, and they were all serious face and were like. Never point a gun at a person.

I think the implication was "unless you are willing to see that person dead"

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    to expand on endings a little:

there has actually been a dramatic widening of what constitutes a "happy ending"

while films have become dramatically more formulaic in structure, the films are now allowing more commonly a modicum of confusion and sacrifice during the course of the film - this is partly due to the infamous screenwriting book

this is an excellent thing. we are seeing a general broadening of tone, and moreover both the desire and ability to have more interesting combinations and mixtures of tone. going from the triumphalism of something like the avengers to the slightly more nuanced ending of cap 2, even if staying just within the genre of superhero movies. there are very very few popular films that actually have FUCK YOU endings

even breaking bad, which is a tragedy, avoids a full on fuck you ending. probably the closest thing to fuck you television is game of thrones, and even that is trying to avoid a relentlessly bleak and yawnsome emotional gamut
    im down wiv it

it would be hard to argue that the star wars trilogy didnt have a happy ending, and yet remember empire...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA9hmrC8DU

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options

WTFFFffff

I didn't pick up a gun until I was an adult. I was in my early 20s and my friends were going to go shooting and I had never been.

The very first thing that I was told was under no circumstances to point a gun at someone. Ever. I picked up an unloaded firearm, and they were all serious face and were like. Never point a gun at a person.

I think the implication was "unless you are willing to see that person dead"

Guns get pointed at things you want holes in. If you don't want a hole in it, then don't aim a gun at it.

This discussion has been closed.