As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That's fucking interesting man, that's fucking interesting! (nsf56k)

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    "If I can play Richard III, I can play a Nazi."

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

so it's one in the morning and now i'm obliged to read this entire blog before i go to bed

thanks, tynic

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    this article on the thieves' guilds of the medieval caliphates is interesting both in its own right and for its citation of noted german arabologist Johann Wilhelm Fück

brb changing my major to islamic studies

Crimson King on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I feel like I would have so much to contribute to this if I listened to the Cracked podcast. The couple of episodes I've heard were jammed with fascinating stuff.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That Boat, man.

Its gonna haunt me

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    this article on the thieves' guilds of the medieval caliphates is interesting both in its own right and for its citation of noted german arabologist Johann Wilhelm Fück

brb changing my major to islamic studies
    Ha! I was just about to mention that. But I like it because it gives me writing ideas.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Hogan's Heroes is a pretty great show.

Do you remember the cartoon Recess? It was more or less a kid's spoof of Hogan's Heroes.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    If you want to lose a few days of your life, check out http://www.futilitycloset.com/

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    interesting fact i discovered while searching for that

there's a guy who paints scantily-clad anime girls onto foil magic: the gathering lands cards and seeks them on ebay for, like, forty bucks

(nsfw maybe? not really, but i guess a little)
    foil_plains37.jpg

anyway, what's that about

Man best of luck to people 10,000 years in the future cause I can't understand most of our culture now.

• Options
    "Blues versus Greens: how circus factions nearly brought down the Byzantine Empire"

• Options
    I will say I am absolutely fascinated by UVB-76, to a point that I can't read about it without wanting to immediately start work on some kind of horror story.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I love the post about search terms that led to the site. "uncommon fish that start with the letter P" is almost certainly someone doing a crossword puzzle.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2014
    If you want to lose a few days of your life, check out http://www.futilitycloset.com/

oh my god this site.

The Tombstone House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0oAdb1bWDc
    This unassuming house in Petersburg, Va., has an odd history — it was constructed from the tombstones of Union soldiers who had besieged the city in 1864. The curator of the city’s museum told author Gwyn Headley that, apparently to save on maintenance, nearly 2,000 marble headstones were removed from Poplar Grove Cemetery and sold to a Mr. O.E. Young, who assembled them into a two-story house.

“The tombstones face inward, so as the owner lay in bed the names of the dead stood about his head,” Headley writes in Architectural Follies in America (1996). “Later they were plastered over so that their descendants leave none the wiser.”

“The last word must be left to the lady living next door to the Tombstone House, who confessed with massive political incorrectness, ‘Ah don’t rightly see what all the fuss was about. They was jist Union boys.’”

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    interesting fact i discovered while searching for that

there's a guy who paints scantily-clad anime girls onto foil magic: the gathering lands cards and seeks them on ebay for, like, forty bucks

(nsfw maybe? not really, but i guess a little)
    foil_plains37.jpg

anyway, what's that about

I'D LIKE TO TAP THAT!

AHAHHAHAH RIGHT?!

edit: probably my best totp ever.

This is silly. those are obviously mountains, not plains.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    that altered plains card is probably the most 'tame' one i've ever seen re: altered basic lands

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I've been watching a lot of videos by this dude in the Schola Gladitoria who practices HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) and is an amateur historian/anthropologist

He answers a lot of myths about weapons and their use in a nicely informative way without sensationalizing anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezckiWeAAI

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    So, firing nuclear waste into the Sun, rockets are too expensive and unreliable, right? What about encasing said waste in solid steel shells, and firing them out of a big railgun at the sun? That should feasibly be possible, right? Or am I completely delusional? Any engineers want to weigh in on this?

It requires as much energy to reach the sun as it does to reach the outer planets, give or take.

All we gotta do is accelerate the "artillery shell" to Earth escape velocity for long enough that it breaks free of gravity, then it can drift toward the sun as slowly as it likes. So we'd have to develop and build a railgun that couls accelerate these things to 8 km/s?

Also I'm very leery over the idea of dumping heavy elements that tend to only be made when stars explode into the sun as a waste disposal concept.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »
    So, firing nuclear waste into the Sun, rockets are too expensive and unreliable, right? What about encasing said waste in solid steel shells, and firing them out of a big railgun at the sun? That should feasibly be possible, right? Or am I completely delusional? Any engineers want to weigh in on this?

It requires as much energy to reach the sun as it does to reach the outer planets, give or take.

All we gotta do is accelerate the "artillery shell" to Earth escape velocity for long enough that it breaks free of gravity, then it can drift toward the sun as slowly as it likes. So we'd have to develop and build a railgun that couls accelerate these things to 8 km/s?

Also I'm very leery over the idea of dumping heavy elements that tend to only be made when stars explode into the sun as a waste disposal concept.

but nature does it all the damn time when comets and asteroid crash into the sun

Suns don't explode because of these heavy elements, they make the heavy elements because they're about to explode.

• Options
    yeah but the existence of the heavy elements is what stops the fusion reaction, because they cant be fused by the solar furnace.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    In olden days there were four elements; Fire, Air, Water, Earth.

Modern day, we have four states of matter;
    Plasma, Vapor, Liquid, Solid.

Progress!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    In olden days there were four elements; Fire, Air, Water, Earth.

Modern day, we have four states of matter;
    Plasma, Vapor, Liquid, Solid.

Progress!

I think you'll find it's Liquid, Solid, Solidus.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Earth, Wind, and Fire was an attempt to simplify the elements even further but it got kinda funky

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    yeah but the existence of the heavy elements is what stops the fusion reaction, because they cant be fused by the solar furnace.

nah dog, it's running out of fuel that stops the reaction. As the star runs out of burnable hydrogen, it has to burn hotter to fuse helium and oxygen into heavier and heavier elements to keep itself running. The heavier elements are a byproduct, not a cause.

Also if you're worried about humans sending heavy elements into the sun changing its runtime, remember that any amount we shot into it would be statisically negligible. Like forget about parts per million, you'd be talking about parts per google, and seriously more rocky and metal asteroids fall into the sun every day than we could ever produce.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    #pipe wrote: »

nah dog, it's running out of fuel that stops the reaction. As the star runs out of burnable hydrogen, it has to burn hotter to fuse helium and oxygen into heavier and heavier elements to keep itself running. The heavier elements are a byproduct, not a cause.

Also if you're worried about humans sending heavy elements into the sun changing its runtime, remember that any amount we shot into it would be statisically negligible. Like forget about parts per million, you'd be talking about parts per google, and seriously more rocky and metal asteroids fall into the sun every day than we could ever produce.

yeah, but humans have this amazing ability to destroy things via baby steps rationalizing.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

yeah, but humans have this amazing ability to destroy things via baby steps rationalizing.

man you could dump the whole earth into the sun and it wouldn't notice. if that, y'know, makes you sleep better at night

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »

man you could dump the whole earth into the sun and it wouldn't notice. if that, y'know, makes you sleep better at night

Never underestimate human kinds ability to fuck things up

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    In fact, firing a payload from a railgun is probably the worst way to get something away from earth permanently. Why? From wiki's article on orbital mechanics:
    A small radial impulse given to a body in orbit changes the eccentricity, but not the orbital period (to first order). A prograde or retrograde impulse (i.e. an impulse applied along the orbital motion) changes both the eccentricity and the orbital period. Notably, a prograde impulse at periapsis raises the altitude at apoapsis, and vice versa, and a retrograde impulse does the opposite. A transverse impulse (out of the orbital plane) causes rotation of the orbital plane without changing the period or eccentricity. In all instances, a closed orbit will still intersect the perturbation point.

The bold part means that, if we only apply a force to the payload when it's on earth, its orbit is still going to intersect with the earth's. Ignoring the affects of stuff like the solar wind, there's a chance it might end up hitting the earth later on!

Four days ago I would not have understood that quoted text but now it makes perfect sense. Thank you Kerbal.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I was looking around for interesting things and now I'm reminded that there's been no news on Cyberpunk 2077 in forever.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    The Tombstone House

“The last word must be left to the lady living next door to the Tombstone House, who confessed with massive political incorrectness, ‘Ah don’t rightly see what all the fuss was about. They was jist Union boys.’”
    "Sic semper tyrannis"

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular

Seriously dude

space3.jpg

you could dump the entire solar system into the sun. The worst you'd get is some intense radiation bursts that would sterilize all those planets if we hadn't just dumped them all into the sun anyway.

If humanity ever gets to the point where we can meaningfully affect the sun, we'll uh
    have options

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    In fact, firing a payload from a railgun is probably the worst way to get something away from earth permanently. Why? From wiki's article on orbital mechanics:
    A small radial impulse given to a body in orbit changes the eccentricity, but not the orbital period (to first order). A prograde or retrograde impulse (i.e. an impulse applied along the orbital motion) changes both the eccentricity and the orbital period. Notably, a prograde impulse at periapsis raises the altitude at apoapsis, and vice versa, and a retrograde impulse does the opposite. A transverse impulse (out of the orbital plane) causes rotation of the orbital plane without changing the period or eccentricity. In all instances, a closed orbit will still intersect the perturbation point.

The bold part means that, if we only apply a force to the payload when it's on earth, its orbit is still going to intersect with the earth's. Ignoring the affects of stuff like the solar wind, there's a chance it might end up hitting the earth later on!

Four days ago I would not have understood that quoted text but now it makes perfect sense. Thank you Kerbal.
    So that's why we never built a mass driver along the equator.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Earth, Wind, and Fire was an attempt to simplify the elements even further but it got kinda funky

posts like this make me wish I had a button where I could give people a trophy

8406wWN.png
  • Options

Seriously dude

space3.jpg

you could dump the entire solar system into the sun. The worst you'd get is some intense radiation bursts that would sterilize all those planets if we hadn't just dumped them all into the sun anyway.

If humanity ever gets to the point where we can meaningfully affect the sun, we'll uh
    have options

yeah, and people once thought it was impossible for humans to ruin an entire planet.

We sure showed them!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

oh my god this site.

The Tombstone House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0oAdb1bWDc
    This unassuming house in Petersburg, Va., has an odd history — it was constructed from the tombstones of Union soldiers who had besieged the city in 1864. The curator of the city’s museum told author Gwyn Headley that, apparently to save on maintenance, nearly 2,000 marble headstones were removed from Poplar Grove Cemetery and sold to a Mr. O.E. Young, who assembled them into a two-story house.

“The tombstones face inward, so as the owner lay in bed the names of the dead stood about his head,” Headley writes in Architectural Follies in America (1996). “Later they were plastered over so that their descendants leave none the wiser.”

Political incorrectness?

This lady's a heartless monster.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Dude you're being willfully ignorant of the levels of scale involved here.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Cleft you're being pretty silly here

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Seriously dude

space3.jpg

have options

yeah, and people once thought it was impossible for humans to ruin an entire planet.

We sure showed them!

The planet.

Is not.

Ruined.

Even if we nuked the ever loving shit out of it, it would not be "ruined". Life would adapt over a dozen or so centuries and the foot note of the human race would end with a big ol' "whoooops".

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Dude you're being willfully ignorant of the levels of scale involved here.

I'm being woefully aware of humanity's capacity to fuck shit up.

This discussion has been closed.