As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOBA: Horrible games for horrible people.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Well, Witchblade used to have move speed on it, I do believe, but was removed in season 2.

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Shout out to tdot for the pro strats

X2ZqdWH.png?1

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    extra tip, since I didn't know you were specifically playing conquest, is to get hog 3 at some point

it looks like your team already had two, which is fine, though it's hard to have too many with how important securing gold fury and fire giant is

• Options
    I usually start with a starter item and hand of the gods but I was feeling extra saucy that game and didn't buy it.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    but the stun is nice.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    well, it's not about the stun. you want the other one, for insta-killing large jungle bosses at 25% health

• Options
    I see

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    playing the same 3 man premade 3 times in a row is pretty annoying

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Apparently one of the engineers at Smite died.

Guy hasn't posted on Twitter since February, so I don't think it's a (tasteless) April Fool's joke.

Samurai Pizza Cats?

Is that what I'm seeing here?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Huh, well this is a bit cool, I don't think they've done this before with a skin:

Basically, starting today through the weekend, getting all 6 wins of the day will also get you the Hel Solstice skin.

Also, Bart and Kelly are going to be showing off upcoming skins and playing the Xbox Alpha and such in about 23 minutes (4pm EDT) on www.twitch.tv/smitegame. From the tease tweets so far, it looks like the Ninja Xbalanque skin is finally making its appearance, something the community has suggested for aaaages, along with that weird demon Bellona skin that accidentally showed up right when the Medusa patch first went live before they removed it.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I JUST a bought that Hel skin with the gems from free gem weekend. Laaaaaaaaame

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Think of it as not subjecting yourself to the horrible pubs this weekend.

People are going to be FURIOUS when you personally deprived them of their skin.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Think of it as not subjecting yourself to the horrible pubs this weekend.

People are going to be FURIOUS when you personally deprived them of their skin.

Maybe I'll go into the queues only using that skin, and just feed!

Best thing about that is, Hel just does that by existing, I don't even need to do it intentionally.

That'll show em!

• Options
    Ares continues to be fun.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    I also got mastery rank 4 on hades last night

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    sarukun wrote: »
    Apparently one of the engineers at Smite died.

Guy hasn't posted on Twitter since February, so I don't think it's a (tasteless) April Fool's joke.

Samurai Pizza Cats?

Is that what I'm seeing here?
    Who are you again?

Well, time to log back on hots and stare at my empty Obsidian Spur team.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Sweet, Solstice Hel get.

Started off with a win in Assault with Chaac, then lost an Arena where the server was stuttering like crazy. Then had a really good Arena with Xb, 9-3, and hit mastery rank 9 on him. Then I tried the stupid MotD which is 1v1 Joust swap... I gave the enemy Thanatos and he gave me Geb. Fuuuck that sucked. Second try, I gave the enemy Thanatos and got Anhur... I haven't played Anhur in a while, so I was definitely rusty, but I did eventually win. Fucking Shield of the Underworld meta in 1v1 Joust is annoying as fuck. Hopped into 3v3 Joust as Xb and got a nice win, then absolutely destroyed a Siege match before I got the weirdest Conquest I've ever seen.

I missed out on getting hunter, so I took solo with Chaac. Enemy team had a Chaac, Neith, Anubis, Sylvanus and Anhur. So we reasoned that the Neith might be mid and the Anubis might be the jungler... we get to solo lane and Neith and Chaac are there. Neither one seems to be leaving to jungle, and my jungler ends up getting killed fairly early. I have to go back to base and when I come back, Chaac has left and Neith is in solo. Oookay. Chaac starts wandering around and ends up in middle lane with their Anubis for a bit. At some point, between going back to base and such, Neith leaves and starts roaming and Chaac is back in solo. I have no idea what in the fuck they're doing, but it's a clusterfuck. They're so unorganized that no one's really sure what they're doing, but after it being fairly even early, we start pulling ahead and eventually end it at about 26 minutes. In the post game lobby, Anhur is saying he was forced into the duo lane because of some auto-locking or something, and the enemy Chaac is yelling at him about taking the hunter role from Neith who wanted (who also apparently auto-locked or something), it's a mess. And this is level 30 too, just double checked to make sure some low levels didn't get matched up or something. So weird.

But hey, going 6-2 on a special weekend for all wins of the day isn't too bad really.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Just curious, what was the thought process behind giving your opponent Thanatos instead of another guardian? Because even though Thanatos is subpar compared to so many other gods, if I hand him to an opponent who knows what he's doing? Yikes.

• Options
    probably the fact that thanatos has a weak late game

• Options
    today's MOTD is all-Medusa Arena

so if you've been waiting to try her out or just want to get that mastery out of the way, now's the time

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Just curious, what was the thought process behind giving your opponent Thanatos instead of another guardian? Because even though Thanatos is subpar compared to so many other gods, if I hand him to an opponent who knows what he's doing? Yikes.

Well, I had mentioned the MotD being annoying in my Arena lobby and someone had suggested Thanatos, that's why I gave it a shot. The first game, I think I built too much physical defense early, Geb's clear is complete shit, which was definitely a problem. That said, building physical defense is more efficient than building magical defense, because minions and towers/phoenix are physical damage, so giving your enemy a physical god makes sense if you are going to be at least somewhat defensive. I do really hate the Shield of the Underworld in 1v1, but I think it's part of the joust meta, and it definitely turned a couple of the fights when I was Geb because I didn't recognize it fast enough. Thanatos has some decent counters to Geb unfortunately, if he saves his silence for your Roll Out, you aren't going anywhere and even if it's an even trade, when he gets you low, he can ult and finish you while you can't do the same of course. He can also escape if he gets low first, which is annoying.

It's possible if I hadn't build so physically tanky at the start that I could've done better with Geb because I could've cleared the wave faster and wouldn't have been shoved under tower. Guardians have very high base damage, so I can't think of any other guardians that I'd want an opponent to have, but really the point of giving virtually any god to someone who knows that god is always true. I mean, Ares' early clear is fuck horrible, but if you give him to someone who can land the chains, you're just superfucked.

And I'm not sure if Thanatos' weak late-game applies to 1v1, he still does a lot of damage if he builds right and lands his skills. The reason in the other main modes Thanatos falls off is because his teamfight is kind of weak for an assassin. He has no good way to get into the back line to kill the squishies he's supposed to be killing. His movement buff only works if someone is low health already, he can ult in, but then he has no escape and is most likely going to die after getting the kill, which could be worth it or it could not.

I really wish I could've asked the guy in the second game why he gave me Anhur, who is one of the very top hunters right now. Granted, I cannot get a pillar stun for the life of me anymore, though I did get some wall stuns and some really bad misses. I'm not sure if the guy was super familiar with Thanatos or not, he was landing some insane scythes, but the rest of his play was kind of sporadic. He really loved trying to back bait me and spam laugh though, that's for sure. Honestly, he built wrong to go against a hunter and he realized it super late when I got a kill and pushed into his base to kill his Titan a few seconds after he rezzed, it was close, but at the end of the game I noticed he had changed his build up and grabbed Nemean Lion and Witchblade, which would've helped him a lot much earlier. Though he also had the weird Talaria Boots, which quite honestly were pretty useless for him, and Qin's Sais, which seems like a terrible buy against a hunter who isn't even building HP. Anyway, he left the postgame lobby immediately, so I didn't get a chance to ask.

Edit: Oh yeah, one the the things that came to mind was giving my opponent Odin... Odin is pretty awful now. I might've tried it if that second game hadn't worked out.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    gave some dude Sylvanus and he gave me ne zha...

idk if he was just bad, but it was super one sided

• Options
    Hmm... that's a good one actually. I keep forgetting that Sylvanus' clear is horrible now that Wisps doesn't hit minions. Though you can go for a basic attack build, could probably work.

• Options
    Holy shit, anyone who is interested in Smite competitive, check out today's SPL of AFK vs. Cloud9. What a god damn series, wow!

• Options
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Holy shit, anyone who is interested in Smite competitive, check out today's SPL of AFK vs. Cloud9. What a god damn series, wow!

Bart and Brandon were hyping that set a whole bunch on Thursday, I should check it out.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Why aren't more folks in the PA clan? We almost hit our first clan quest!

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    oh shit, I forgot to open that up to applications

for real though everybody get out of the previous clan and accept my love

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Dranyth wrote: »

Bart and Brandon were hyping that set a whole bunch on Thursday, I should check it out.

It did not disappoint, that's for sure.

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    oh shit, I forgot to open that up to applications

for real though everybody get out of the previous clan and accept my love

What is the clan name again? I want to be all up in that.

• Options
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    God dammit, Matchmaking... I just got done with an interesting Arena. My team instalocked Medusa and Arachne (of all gods), I hovered Xbalanque since I'm getting close to diamond. Someone else chooses Vulcan and the last guy picks Ra. Already a fairly shitty make-up. Game gets ready to start, the enemy team is Ares, Hercules, He Bo, Awilix and Artemis. Which is basically already fucking crazy, even if it wasn't a partial pop-up comp for Awilix. We get into the game, the enemy is a 5 man clan. And we all seem to be solo queue.

Fast forward to the end of the game where we're up 13 tickets to 3. I very nearly kill Awilix, but she jumps away and then I have Hercules, Ares and He Bo all closing in on me after we lose two people and a minion, so we have 2 tickets left, Medusa kills Artemis about 2 seconds before I would've died, we win. The teams were mine, 32 kills with 78 assists to their 31 kills to 94 assists, somehow we also have 2k more gold than they do. I went 9-3, Medusa was 12-10, Arachne was 11-4 (surprisingly enough), Ra and Vulcan are both 0-7. Vulcan never bought beads because he got Sprint and Shell right off, so he was basically a free kill almost all game whenever Ares' ult was up. He also fires off the weirdest random ults to nowhere and his first two items were Book of Thoth and Warlock's Sash. I look up the game stats on the website and not only was it a 5 man versus a bunch of solo queues, Vulcan was level 11.

Crazy game, can't even blame Vulcan, that just should never happen. 54 more worshippers to diamond Xb. I kinda wanna hit it before the patch drops, but I'm almost definitely going to get Shinobalanque.

Edit: And yes, I put my application in. I think getting diamond with gods gives the clan points or something? Haven't looked at how it works yet.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that all sounds horrible until the part where it was a very close game, so I guess good job to the matchmaking algorithm for looking beyond the MMRs and the arranged teams and finding the true skill levels buried underneath.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    That's certainly one way of looking at it!

• Options
    edited April 2015
    So, the upcoming Smite patch notes had been updated, the full notes are at: http://forums.smitegame.com/showthread.php?66744-Unseen-Torment-Finalized-Patch-Notes-04-06

Medusa receives some nerfs:
    Medusa
    • Viper Shot
      • Reduced Damage from 10/18/26/34/42 to 10/15/20/25/30.
      • Reduced Attack Speed from 100% to 40/50/60/70/80% per rank.
      • Reduced Physical Scaling from +15% to +10%.
      • Mana cost increased from 40/45/50/55/60 to 50/55/60/65/70.
      • Fixed a visual issue with all basic attacks appearing as Viper Shots.
      • Fixed a visual issue with orbs disappearing after recall.
    • Lacerate
      • Reduced Damage from 120/150/180/210/240 to 80/120/160/200/240.

I'm not totally sure that the nerfs should've come almost entirely to Viper Shot, but man it got hit hard. I'm a little surprised Acid Spray was entirely untouched because that's one that seems either a little too strong or has waaay too huge of an AoE. I suppose damage is all it does though, since it doesn't have the attack speed reduce it had originally.

Also, Carnivale Neith's voice pack volume was raised... which is fine, except BuccaNeith exists.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Downloaded Smite to play with a friend, it seems neat! We did a few arenas and got to level 4.

Only consistent issue I seemed to run into was constantly being mana starved, any pointers on that? Just buy lots of mana potions? I mean the mana buff camp helps but only one player can really get that.

• Options
    arena just drains mana a lot because of the constant team fighting, made up for by the fountain always being relatively close by

generally it's a combination of pots and learning to conserve your mana that solves it

just don't fall into the temptation to buy meditation outside of assault, it's a crutch that leads to bad habits and takes up a valuable active slot

This discussion has been closed.